Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NHL Playoffs Round 2. Oilers v Ducks

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Default 2017 NHL Playoffs Round 2. Oilers v Ducks

It's been a long time since we've been able to talk about a second playoff series. Feels good.
    Ow

fact: oilers are the first canadian team to advance to second round in two years

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Can we merge Round 1 and 2 threads into one?

C2E Long Term Contributor

This is going to be a real test of our speed and size, I cannot wait!
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'm cautiously optimistic. We won vs Ducks in regular season, we can do it in the playoffs. We just need to keep up the intensity for 60 minutes instead of 10 at the start and another 10 at the end of each game.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Full schedule:
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

So every other series has games on CBC and Edmonton is the only western Canadian team remaining. Can someone explain the logic behind this decision?

Ducks are here largely due to Calgary's shaky goaltending. The Ducks also have some key injuries on defense.

Even though the Ducks entered the playoffs on a hot streak, this is another winnable series for the Oilers.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    So every other series has games on CBC and Edmonton is the only western Canadian team remaining. Can someone explain the logic behind this decision?
    Easy.

We're north of Highway 1.

Nothing (according to Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Or Vancouver) exists north of Highway 1. It's been this way all my life. IT probably won't change. I run into this on other files, not just hockey.
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

I'd rather C2E than work!

YYC and their AC Hub being one exception. How about Notley and friends of also located north of Hwy 1. It's basically a time zone thing I think. Most people are in bed down east by the time the California/Alberta games start. Rogers SportsNet has exclusive rights now. Maybe they will broadcast the games onto CBC?
    Last edited by Drumbones; 24-04-2017 at 06:24 AM.

C2E SME

I wonder if some of the Ducks' key defensemen (Fowler, Vatanen) will be coming back from injury. Also, the Ducks had two 3-2 wins an an OT win against Calgary.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Ducks are here largely due to Calgary's shaky goaltending. The Ducks also have some key injuries on defense.

Even though the Ducks entered the playoffs on a hot streak, this is another winnable series for the Oilers.
    The Ducks were going to beat Calgary regardless. That the games were close as they were was only due to the missing D.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I wonder if some of the Ducks' key defensemen (Fowler, Vatanen) will be coming back from injury. Also, the Ducks had two 3-2 wins an an OT win against Calgary.
    The Ducks were using D that Calgary was able to exploit, due to Fowler and Vatanen being missing. What does any team look like without two of their top 4 D? What would the Oilers look like even without Larsson? They swept the Flames, which shows the vet composure fighting through a huge challenge in their missing D.

Not like the Oilers rolled through SJ. Although one would get that impression. The Sharks were actually the better club in game 5, hit 3 posts, and did everything but tie up the game late. The Oilers scraped through a tired looking Sharks team that was able to stymie their topsix production.

Oilers will need to be better against the Ducks.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Tracy Lane‏ @TreenasOil
    Wonder if @hallsy09 will call and offer @zkassian9 a celebratory drink again. Still wonder why your not here?

Wow, I love Hall but the more and more stories (podcast with Whitney comes to mind) that come out and the comments from players are all leading to the same conclusion.....Hall was indeed a cancer in the room and a massive D bag. That trade is becoming more of a win by the day.

I'm a bit worried how the Oilers are dissecting their series win. A narrative is forming that after the 7-0 spanking (and that was enough reason for concern) that the Oilers were airtight, solid, and owned the Sharks in the remaining two games. Its not what I saw. I saw the Oilers continue to be bailed out by Talbot being outstanding and the Sharks making key mistakes to allow the Oilers chances at wins. To wit in game 5 the Sharks were in control, right till the end of the 2nd period when Burns, not even pressured, dumps the puck over the boards and results in an extended short handed segment which allows the Oilers their 2nd goal. Its my take if that penalty doesn't occur, and the Oilers go into that 3rd period down 2 goals then the Sharks probably take that game. As it were the Sharks were limiting the Oilers chances in the 3rd until Klefboms miraculous rocket. Really without that laser shot the Oilers likely lose game 5. They were 2 mins away from losing it.

Onto game 6 and the Sharks were by far the better team in 2nd and 3rd period and Oilers just hanging on for dear life. Nor were the Oilers defending well, the Sharks were getting quality chance after quality chance. With Pavelski, a pretty good goal scorer, hitting crossbar and post with 2mins left to tie game.

The differences in the series were very slight. Oilers get the late tying goal, Sharks don't. But mostly due to sheer chance. The Pavelski near goal particularly is a shot that he makes a lot. The Klef shot is one that happens much more rarely.

Also, consider the Oilers game winning goals were by KassianX2, Klef, and Desharnais. That's an unlikely sustainable resource. The Oilers got some luck in this series to advance. What they need is more out of their topsix.

Finally Jones was mediocre in the series giving up 6 5 hole goals. Ducks will probably get better goaltending than the Sharks got.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    Tracy Lane‏ @TreenasOil
    Wonder if @hallsy09 will call and offer @zkassian9 a celebratory drink again. Still wonder why your not here?

Wow, I love Hall but the more and more stories (podcast with Whitney comes to mind) that come out and the comments from players are all leading to the same conclusion.....Hall was indeed a cancer in the room and a massive D bag. That trade is becoming more of a win by the day.
    Not sure why not being here makes HALL A db. NONE of the ex Oilers were around here when the club was doing magic in 97,98 and beating friggen allstar clubs in a post cap league. Edmonton, and the Oilers at that time seemed a long forgotten commodity. Nor do I recall too much in the 06 run, I think Mess was around, not sure who else.

Why is Hall getting all this criticism for not being around? This team personnel wise isn't the team he played on for several years. Only Eberle and Nuge had been here any length of time. Hall isn't an Oiler, not due to his decision, and he owes the team nothing in retrospect. Hall, unlike the other two gave it his all here pretty consistently and ironically enough that he had trade value.

That Hall would be legitimately ****** off at the turn of events is reasonable given the circumstance. That doesn't make him a bad person, its makes it a bad situation.

If I'm Hall I also clearly feel that Klefbom is a DB for his comments and wouldn't go out of my way to be around that. That Hall was singled out for the reason this club was losing is beyond the pale. In that kind of circumstance, and with people postulating that you stay away. Wasn't there also some mention that Nuge and Hall had a falling out? Who would Hall be connected to here other than Eberle?

Hall did his part for this team and I rarely was left with the impression that he was dogging it or didn't care. He mostly went balls out for this club with the exception of the couple months of play preceding trade. Where is this Oiler fan animosity with Hall coming from?
    Last edited by Replacement; 24-04-2017 at 08:36 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

His comments make him a DB, little things he says along with numerous players (Kassian especially) always making a point about how the room is different and now gets along. It is pretty easy to read between the lines......

The rumors of Hall not being a team player are starting to make sense, you think there was a reason Hall wasn't selected for the World Cup of hockey this year???? That interview with Whitney really shone a light about their personalities, as much as I loved Hall, it was definitely an addition by subtraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    His comments make him a DB, little things he says along with numerous players (Kassian especially) always make a point about how the room is different and gets along, pretty easy to read between the lines. The rumors of Hall not being a team player are starting to make sense, you think there was a reason Hall wasn't selected for the World Cup of hockey this year???? That interview with Whitney really shone a light about their personalities, as much as i loved Hall, it was definitely an addition by subtraction.
    No, it makes you more judgemental even than I am.

Whitney is a jack ***. I think that is more clear. A vet that prided himself on being smarmy, sarcastic, offputting.

Hall is a cocky, immature kid, clearly, he was when he was here. But mostly that was a good thing to have when he was trying to carry a club on his back. The notion that Hall had anything much to do with holding the club back is unsubstantiated. I haven't seen one Kassian remark that is earmarked to Hall. Its odd you would make the connection.

Also, just a reality check here, but if this was a couple years ago Oilers fans are on script hating Zach Kassian and liking Taylor Hall. I never disliked Kassian, and I don't now, but Kassian is a known DB on ice. He's also one of the most hated players in the league. So specifically citting him on player etiquette is stretching bounds of reality.

What confirmation bias rumors of Hall not being a team player are you referring to?

Feel good about where the team is presently and maybe knock off the Hall nonsense. I'm not sure why its required. Its about as tasteless as the comments made about Smyth when he was moved.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    Sportsnet owns the rights to NHL broadcast. They can choose which games to give the cbc.
    They know which one is more profitable to keep on sportsnet as far as advertising goes.

Even in Ottawa, it's hard to find Sens fans.

I'm disgusted as I'm going to have to mooch off friends again to watch the series.

So apparently Hall should come here to watch the Oilers so that fans around the blogosphere, and I'm embarrassed so much is being made about this, can engage in the latest conjecture about Hall "was a cancer"

Hall should come here just to hear that kind of nonsense. my lord. I don't even know what the tweet so many people are referring to is about. Who's Tracy lane, treenaoil and why should anybody care?
    Last edited by Replacement; 24-04-2017 at 09:22 AM.

^^ Your reasoning doesn't hold any water. If it's more profitable to broadcast on Sportsnet than CBC, then why were the Toronto and Montreal playoff games shown on CBC and not Sportsnet?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Continued Contributor

Sometimes I think Hall is Replacement. I don't think I know anyone that likes Hall as much, says they like the Oilers, yet hate them all at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^^ Your reasoning doesn't hold any water. If it's more profitable to broadcast on Sportsnet than CBC, then why were the Toronto and Montreal playoff games shown on CBC and not Sportsnet?
    I'm sure there was a clause in the sale that CBC automatically got to broadcast Habs/Leafs games given the history and some might say cultural significance.

^^^Replacement, I don't see anyone claiming he should be here to watch. "Wonder why you're not here" is saying it's a reason he got traded, not questioning his absence.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    ^^^Replacement, I don't see anyone claiming he should be here to watch. "Wonder why you're not here" is saying it's a reason he got traded, not questioning his absence.
    Fans around the blogosphere are talking about this and wondering why Hall isn't here, stating he's a DB for not being here, etc. I just don't get it. If I'm Hall it would be the last place I'm going on summer vacation.
    Last edited by Replacement; 24-04-2017 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    Sometimes I think Hall is Replacement. I don't think I know anyone that likes Hall as much, says they like the Oilers, yet hate them all at the same time.
    haha, no, I called out Hall as well when he was here.

ps I only dislike Nugent Hopkins play. I would be fine with him if he was an opponent getting smashed into the boards..

Which will happen soon enough.

I love Nuge

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    I'm disgusted as I'm going to have to mooch off friends again to watch the series.
    Do what I do and find some online streams. Do an internet search and you can find message boards that provide tons of links to different feeds. Find a good stream on a laptop, plug it into the TV display and away you go.

Do what I do and find some online streams. Do an internet search and you can find message boards that provide tons of links to different feeds. Find a good stream on a laptop, plug it into the TV display and away you go.
    Are available streams better than they used to be? Formerly they were adware loaded sites, poor feeds, pixallation, freezes, and sometimes a screen the size of a cellphone..

I found a good stream last week. Just one popup ad, and nearly HD quality. Had to stream from my hotel room as they didn't have the game on their tv package. (Game 5)

Can usually find a good stream in a thread here on game day: https://www.reddit.com/r/NHLStreams/

That's what friends are for. Bring beverages and you'll have your choice.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post

That's what friends are for. Bring beverages and you'll have your choice.
    Doesn't work so well when the wife wants to enjoy the game with you and there's two toddlers who would normally be asleep during game time. So now we have to bring them with us and have the sleep there, waking them up at game end. Or pay for a babysitter - and it'd be cheaper to get cable then.

I've never been able to find a good spot to search for streams.
    Thanks for the links, I'll check those out.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I found a good stream last week. Just one popup ad, and nearly HD quality. Had to stream from my hotel room as they didn't have the game on their tv package. (Game 5)

Can usually find a good stream in a thread here on game day: https://www.reddit.com/r/NHLStreams/
    Thanks Medwards. I don't need it myself but good option for the people that could use it.

C2E SME

If you're a cable subscriber, it looks like Sportnet Now might be an option as well. You just have to sign in with your cable account and you can access streams. Or if you're with Shaw, there's also Freerange TV, which seems to work pretty well also.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    I'm a bit worried how the Oilers are dissecting their series win. A narrative is forming that after the 7-0 spanking (and that was enough reason for concern) that the Oilers were airtight, solid, and owned the Sharks in the remaining two games. Its not what I saw. I saw the Oilers continue to be bailed out by Talbot being outstanding and the Sharks making key mistakes to allow the Oilers chances at wins. To wit in game 5 the Sharks were in control, right till the end of the 2nd period when Burns, not even pressured, dumps the puck over the boards and results in an extended short handed segment which allows the Oilers their 2nd goal. Its my take if that penalty doesn't occur, and the Oilers go into that 3rd period down 2 goals then the Sharks probably take that game. As it were the Sharks were limiting the Oilers chances in the 3rd until Klefboms miraculous rocket. Really without that laser shot the Oilers likely lose game 5. They were 2 mins away from losing it.

Onto game 6 and the Sharks were by far the better team in 2nd and 3rd period and Oilers just hanging on for dear life. Nor were the Oilers defending well, the Sharks were getting quality chance after quality chance. With Pavelski, a pretty good goal scorer, hitting crossbar and post with 2mins left to tie game.

The differences in the series were very slight. Oilers get the late tying goal, Sharks don't. But mostly due to sheer chance. The Pavelski near goal particularly is a shot that he makes a lot. The Klef shot is one that happens much more rarely.

Also, consider the Oilers game winning goals were by KassianX2, Klef, and Desharnais. That's an unlikely sustainable resource. The Oilers got some luck in this series to advance. What they need is more out of their topsix.

Finally Jones was mediocre in the series giving up 6 5 hole goals. Ducks will probably get better goaltending than the Sharks got.

The Sharks scored a total of one goal in three of their games. I'm shocked they lost the series!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    If you're a cable subscriber, it looks like Sportnet Now might be an option as well. You just have to sign in with your cable account and you can access streams. Or if you're with Shaw, there's also Freerange TV, which seems to work pretty well also.
    I assume one could log in with a friends cable account details too.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post

The Sharks scored a total of one goal in three of their games. I'm shocked they lost the series!
    its because Oilers had fluke goals while Sharks kept hitting posts and had no luck!!!

Fluke goals? LOL!

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea

Yeah, it's entirely possible that Rogers/Sportsnet aren't tracking IP or MAC addresses. I think that Freerange with Shaw does, though. Or you have to register specific devices with them.

I'm a bit worried how the Oilers are dissecting their series win.
    Holy moly, I didn't realize you were invited to team meetings. That's impressive, Replacement. You should have told us all about your access to the team earlier.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea

Yeah, it's entirely possible that Rogers/Sportsnet aren't tracking IP or MAC addresses. I think that Freerange with Shaw does, though. Or you have to register specific devices with them.
    You register a device with them, and you can have two devices streaming at a given time. You can log in with your Shaw email address/password, which then adds the device onto your account. You can't output to anything though, at least not on iOS (no HDMI out allowed, or Airplay).
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post

It was of course their downfall, but they found so many ways to screw up. One game where all 2 of the oIlers goals are scored shorthanded, another where the two Oiler goals were breakaways. Its hard to describe this as the best, or most focused Sharks effort. Rather, like Deboers is saying, they hit a wall sometime around a month ago and haven't been at their best.

To their credit the Oilers removed any resolve this Sharks team had to go deeper this year. At some point I think some players, all sore, were willing to get the golf clubs out.

But in the NHL now its rare that clubs go deep two years in succession. In a capped league with parity you have to be a special club for that to happen.

haven't mentioned the Maroon factor yet in the upcoming series. That will be interesting.
    Last edited by Replacement; 24-04-2017 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    I'm a bit worried how the Oilers are dissecting their series win.
    Holy moly, I didn't realize you were invited to team meetings. That's impressive, Replacement. You should have told us all about your access to the team earlier.
    Just commenting on the video rundowns. The postgame videos. that's all. They barely edged the Sharks, hope they realize that. I want this team to go as deep as they can and theres never been a better year for it in the WC then this year. Its wide open.

But surely you understand that what's said in public may be completely different from what's said behind closed doors, right? No... I guess you don't understand that based on your post.

But surely you understand that what's said in public may be completely different from what's said behind closed doors, right? No... I guess you don't understand that based on your post.
    Point understood. Its all we have as fans to go on. Just a discussion point. Likely 10% of what players or posters say about anything really matters. Hockey player talk is also particularly void of relevance. Usually pad, safe, answers, but in the playoffs, when players are tired, emotional, etc, more stuff comes out.

Maroon will be an interesting variable in this series. I hope he's not injured and was just sick. Something was wrong with him that caused him to miss game 82 and he hasn't looked the same since. To their credit, perhaps knowing something, Kass and Lucic really elevated their physical play.

If anybody wants to see it this is more detail released on what some of the sharks were going through in the series;

https://www.nhl.com/news/sharks-thor...cl/c-289067354

Thornton. Playing on a torn ACL, and MCL. Unreal, basically on one leg and a prayer and a floating knee like they were stating. Yikes. Theres some courage.

Hertl; Broken Foot

Couture smashed face and jaw, mouth, nobody noticed..

Marleau; Broken thumb.

Donskoi; Twice separated shoulder. Ouch.

Pavelski; Broken heart

Updates on the Ducks is that Fowler and Vatanen are skating in practice but with a return date unknown. Seems that Fowler won't see game 1. Its good for the Oilers they took out Sharks in game 6 and this new series starting Wednesday. Good to hit the Ducks before Fowler and Vatanen are healthy.
    Last edited by Replacement; 24-04-2017 at 06:19 PM.

It's also good that the other games wrapped at game 6 as well, right? Don't they wait for all the series to finish before moving on?

It would have finished in the east on Tuesday regardless with the west game one starting Wednesday so there was no change.

Make no mistake, Oilers players are hiding injuries themselves and are enjoying the rest.

Make no mistake, Oilers players are hiding injuries themselves and are enjoying the rest.
    Yup, lots of cortisone in use. Its a difficult balance, the cortisone will reduce the inflammation and allow a faster heal, but longer term it weakens the body (general rule is 3 to 4 shots a year).
    Last edited by moahunter; 25-04-2017 at 07:44 AM.

Draisaitl continuing to shine in the playoffs and even despite having a cold. Seems like somehow he's flying under the radar of opposing teams still. Either that or teams just don't key on him as much as McD. Makes sense for the two to be on separate lines, that had to happen. Its better this way.
    The OT dish to Desharnais and the other assist Drai got in that game (he initially had 3 before one was taken away) demonstrate what a sublime passer and thinker Drai is. Due to his size, stealth, and seeing the ice Drai saw a play develop there that nobody else saw coming. You can't teach that composure, that recognition, great hockey minds have it. They see that one guy coming in and what could possibly occur. Drai is even positioned to make the pass. Its like its in slow motion and he's right on top of the NHL game. Like he's taking opponents lunch money and its easy. The most impressive thing is that Drai makes that kind of filthy dish through traffic much of the time that he tries it. The pass was friggen perfect. This is Drai shining without McDavid. The great players, and Drai is already one, make anybody look better. They make plays where normal type players can light the lamp. That was Gretzky filthy stuff right there. Just brilliant goal.

Drais power move to the net on the breakaway goal in game 6 against Braun was also something else. He isn't totally on a break there and Braun is on him. Yet Drai the whole way is able to use body and strength to protect puck, not get off balance at all, and the deftness while being checked to find the 5 hole. That this guy has the brains, size, hands makes him a real force out there. Unbelievably good draft pick and one credit for the former management here that they picked this guy.

The most impressive thing though is that the NHL game, even the playoff game has slowed down for Drai already. Where his calmness and maturity and vision is allowing him to breakdown the NHL already.

Connor is a different story and will still grow as a player. He'll recognize more patterns of what works etc. This year he balled it all the way to the scoring title. Playing a flat out speed burn game. Burn D coming in from the wing, try it everytime he can. Like Pronger mentioned in time McD will realize that stopping up will also create an opening, also create time to work magic, to realize what Drai already see's.

Anybody want tickets for the Oilers watch party on Wednesday the pswd for the presale, lol they're having a presale for a watch party, is "Orange" Its funnier that tickets for this are already being resold on stubhub.

Word though, the presale is kind of silly as only some sections have been released. Strange to release only limited blocks at a time when the thing could sell out. Just release them all and let people pick. I want drinkrail.

Anybody want tickets for the Oilers watch party on Wednesday the pswd for the presale, lol they're having a presale for a watch party, is "Orange" Its funnier that tickets for this are already being resold on stubhub.

Word though, the presale is kind of silly as only some sections have been released. Strange to release only limited blocks at a time when the thing could sell out. Just release them all and let people pick. I want drinkrail.
    Interesting.

If OEG catches you reselling, you will forfeit any future tickets that you may have - this includes season ticket holders. I'd send an email with the link to the ad to OEG if I were you. Nothing like returning the favour.

I don't even buy tickets let alone sell them. just ftr

I wouldn't want any OEG cops barking up my tree. Probably I ignored a PSA stating that I go to jail for giving out secret passwords...

I'm not answering the door in anycase..

Twenty-four hours to game time, boys! Bring on those Ducks.

Love how many jerseys are on people in the Downtown today.
    www.decl.org

11 more wins after tonight!

Went to WEM, all sorts of people, young and old had jerseys on.. Im nervous..

I think who ever wins the Anaheim/Edmonton series is going to the finals... would love to see an Edmonton vs Pittsburgh for the cup!

Quote Originally Posted by Rseven View Post
    I think who ever wins the Anaheim/Edmonton series is going to the finals... would love to see an Edmonton vs Pittsburgh for the cup!
    Nashville are playing awesome right now. All depends on which Rinne shows up.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Todd McLellan is finalist for Jack Adams along with Babcock and Tortorella
    http://www.tsn.ca/babcock-mclellan-t...lists-1.735767
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 26-04-2017 at 08:02 PM.

Man Roger Place's "poor" ice has nothing on the Honda Center in Anaheim...feels like I've watched every player lose an edge, the puck hardly glides, and passes have to be saucered in air or else it skips along the ice

C2E SME

Wow! Letestu's on fire! 3-1 Oilers!
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Wow - Larsson going end-to-end and scoring an ugly goal!

McDavid hasn't been racking up the points, but he has drawn 2 penalties all by himself, and draws so much extra attention from the opposition that it leaves everyone else on the ice open to score.

5-3

Oilers win!
    Last edited by MrOilers; 26-04-2017 at 11:26 PM.

Larsson with 2 goals - I hope that shuts up the Taylor Hall fans.
    The Lucics and Kassians need to ramp up the nasty against this team though.

Good playing guys. Ducks are already thinking omg, not a sweep. The fans are very lukewarm... Happy dancing here.

Good playing guys. Ducks are already thinking omg, not a sweep. The fans are very lukewarm... Happy dancing here.

What horrible horrible ice!

Anyone else see how Nuge got robbed again tonight where one of his shots hit the side of the goalie's head, then went off the post, off the crossbar, and stayed out? Unreal. Eberle has been a total chump.

Great game! And unfortunately for me, I'm starting nightshift tomorrow night here at Syncrude.... no more live playoff hockey for me

Kudo's to Vernie Fiddler, a local Crawford Plains neighborhood kid, getting the game winner for Nashville.
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Rats I fell asleep when it was 1:1 after a long day. Great win So neat to hear Larsson got 2 goals.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Rats I fell asleep when it was 1:1 after a long day. Great win So neat to hear Larsson got 2 goals.
    Adam McLarsson
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    The Lucics and Kassians need to ramp up the nasty against this team though.
    I agree. Smear the Ducks on the boards like they did to the Sharks. Anaheim plays dirty, but they aren't tough. In fact, the Sharks had more size and toughness than the Ducks.

Did anyone else see Getzlaf at the end of the game trying to be tough, but once Kassian stepped up to him he ran away and starting tussling with the smallest guy out there instead (Sekera)? Showed how the Ducks have no guts.

I thought Lucic laid out some key hits to keep the Ducks on their tows. Kass was pretty active as well. Even McDavid hitting. Maroon looks to be playing injured. I couldn't figure out what the Sekera situation was. Pretty deplorable when a guy picks the smallest man on the ice to tussle with.

Ducks without Pronger have never really amounted to much. That was true for SJ as well until last season.

Like I've said all spring the WC is wide open this year, possibly a great post season to go on a run.

lol that the Ducks get clocked in the home opener of the series. They're in deep **** soon as the series started.

Lots of talk that CMD is injured at the moment. Hope not, but it might explain a bit why he isn't skating the way he often does.

Lots of talk that CMD is injured at the moment. Hope not, but it might explain a bit why he isn't skating the way he often does.
    He could also have the flu that a lot of the other players are recovering from.
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

^I wouldn't wish flu on anyone, but that would be better than an injury.

CMD was coughing a bit in an earlier interview. He seemed to be alright at the start of the game, but took a hit that generated a penalty and seemed a bit off his game after that. I'm sure he'll be fine for Friday.

McDavid was on the ice for each of the Oilers' first 4 goals.

C2E SME

Could be the flu. Could be an injury. Could be having a five time Selke finalist stapled to his side.

www.decl.org

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/...09540250460167
    Frank Seravalli‏ @frank_seravalli
    McLellan on Jack Adams finalist: "You can't win the derby on a donkey. It takes good players, people. It's not the jockey or the stable."

He needs to win the Adams just for that quote alone!

^I wouldn't wish flu on anyone, but that would be better than an injury.
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    CMD was coughing a bit in an earlier interview. He seemed to be alright at the start of the game, but took a hit that generated a penalty and seemed a bit off his game after that. I'm sure he'll be fine for Friday.
    Could be the flu. Could be an injury. Could be having a five time Selke finalist stapled to his side.
    And we will likely not know until the Oilers are out of the playoffs.

So what you're saying is we'll never know.
    There can only be one.

No. Usually, injuries come out after the series is after. All the San Jose injuries came out after they were done. You don't want to give the other team knowledge of what is ailing you.

Joke.

Out of the playoffs= Never.
    There can only be one.

I wonder how much it pisses off the Sharks and Ducks that when they have the Oilers entire topsix and guns basically shut out that guys like Letestu, Larsson, Kass, Slepy are scoring goals.

That's gotta be demoralizing. Nor were any of those goals scored without authority. Letestu last night got all of both of those and they were perfect examples of cloaking into the right spot, something he does very well and sniping it clean home. Making those pots look like a practice drill he could do with eyes closed. Larsson trailer snipe occurred expertly with him walking into that shot. I thought it was Klefbom, I think they even announced initially it was Klef. It was the other bomb.

That's the problem with the Oilers. Who do you cover? You can't cover everybody with your premium players and we expose anything else and even your premium players.

Getzlaf hasn't begun to get frustrated. It gets worse. Much worse. Ask the Sharks. They even won the first game..

In the end its looking like the Oilers have more players that want it more and will go the mile.
    Last edited by Replacement; 27-04-2017 at 05:12 PM.

I don't know about you, but I expect this to go to 6 or 7 games. It's not going to be easy, and I'm thankful the Oilers won the first game. Now all the talk about "unbeaten in the last ____" and "Won the last ____ games in their building" talk is over with. The announcers last night were even talking about how the Ducks hadn't let in any 3rd period goals in the playoffs... that sure changed

I don't know about you, but I expect this to go to 6 or 7 games. It's not going to be easy, and I'm thankful the Oilers won the first game. Now all the talk about "unbeaten in the last ____" and "Won the last ____ games in their building" talk is over with. The announcers last night were even talking about how the Ducks hadn't let in any 3rd period goals in the playoffs... that sure changed
    I expected the Ducks to be tougher opponents, I expected the Sharks to be tougher opponents, What I'm learning, and admit to being slow to, is the Oilers are probably tougher opponents than recognized.

I say that somewhat tongue in cheek. Being negative notwithstanding I've said for months this Oilers club has the key ingredients and personnel to go on a major run and part of my frustration being if they all realized it. This is a golden opportunity, this season. This is a loaded lineup which is better than opponents on paper, and on ice. To help us out other clubs are suffering injuries. Thinking ahead even Fischer for the Preds got injured last night. I think that's who is next on tap.

This Oilers club is hand picked loaded with players that CAN excel. The question was whether it would gel into a hard working, consistent working bunch.

We don't face a better club than us until we're facing say Pittsburgh or Washington. We would beat Washington. That's what I truthfully think about this club, its loaded, its come together, and its loaded with players playing with belief and resolve. To supplement that we win any nature of game. Hard checking? Bring it. The prior management selected players like Nurse, Drai. To add to this we now have Lucic, Maroon, Kassian, Larsson, Russell. Even guys like Slepy, Pacman add some beef and physical play when they are in the lineup. Pouliot I should also mention is very tough to deal with. The guy is strong, huge, that's never been a problem in his game. The thing was would this collection of players play here and buy in. Connor, Chia and McLellan bought that buy in.

This is a crystal picture isolated last night. Even guys like Sekera are walking tall with bravado. That occurs when players fully know several have their back and nothing bad is going to occur out there. When you see a Sekera go to toe to toe with Getzlaf you know the whole team and attitude on the bench is standing taller. Skating tall.

Didn't help the ducks that Bieksa got injured in game one and that Clayton Stoner, a player that could help, is done. They can't match the physicality.

Could still go 6 games but I think Oilers have control of this, up to them to finish the deal.

^Well I'm happy that even a skeptic like you has finally come to this realization Replacement.

www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Mla View Post
    ^Well I'm happy that even a skeptic like you has finally come to this realization Replacement.
    It will last until the next playoff loss, then the sky will be falling again

Okay I know I'm really jumping the gun here, but let's say the Oilers win the cup. Will Gretzky's name be on it for this year or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Mla View Post
    It will last until the next playoff loss, then the sky will be falling again
    haha

This series is different. Ducks don't have any real mojo and didn't get far last year either or anytime in near memory. They lost the first game of the series, at Home. I think they're screwed. Ducks should be able to pull of a win tonight but if the Oilers sweep in Anaheim they'll be in all kinds of ****. The Ducks HAVE to win this game. That falls right into the Oilers hands of being more relaxed, yet in control. We'll see if the Ducks have an A game here. I don't think so without Bieksa, Vatanen, who are injured and Fowler on the limp. They don't have the D left to contend with the Oilers forcheck and pressure.

Anaheim's goaltending didn't look as good as San Jose's either.

Anaheim's goaltending didn't look as good as San Jose's either.
    He's bad on rebound shots..pepper him!!

Another Kassian disallowed goal

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Another Kassian disallowed goal
    Yes!!! Grrrrrr

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Wow. So far the only Oiler playing well is Cam. The second, the ring of the post. Possession is mainly in the Oilers defensive zone...very frustrating to watch.
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast