Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2017 NHL Playoffs Round 2. Oilers v Ducks

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Oilers are winning 7 to 1 going into the 3rd period and Nuge, Eberle, and Pouliot are all -1.
    Truly mind boggling.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

^ if they blow this lead, prepare the riot squads.

If they keep playing like this, plan the parade!
    www.decl.org

Oilers are winning 7 to 1 going into the 3rd period and Nuge, Eberle, and Pouliot are all -1.
    You saved me from mentioning this. Its sad what non factors these players manage to be even in a cakewalk game and playing against the 3rd line most of the night. It was their 2nd shift of the game against Getzlaf.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'd rather C2E than work!

I love a fast game like this. We have the best fans!!!!

Loved the hat trick.....

That is all. Wednesday is going to be amazing!

http://www.mapleleaffarms.com
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Wu-who! Game #7 in round 2? I never thought the Oilers would even get this far. Everything else is gravy.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

What a game!
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

This was the correct picture of the match up. The ducks are garbage, they are cheaters that slide under the radar for whatever reason to win.
    This series shouldn't even have needed this game but Oilers showed just what a garbage team the ducks are. Go go go game 7. Put those cheating losers out of their misery and hopefully end some careers.

Taylor Hall is probably on suicide watch.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Kind of like Pete Best being replaced by Ringo

Next year's starting line-up of the Las Vegas Golden Knights?

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Wu-who! Game #7 in round 2? I never thought the Oilers would even get this far. Everything else is gravy.
    Hopefully Roast Duck Gravy on Wednesday night.

It would have been nice if last nights game would have been on CBC for all of Canada to watch. It was Canadiana at it's best.

^ Glad it was a 5pm face-off, though. My daughter on the east coast was able to watch it at a decent hour.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Kessler was pulling Talbot's 5-hole apart.

Please evaneo.

For Top_Dawg's sake.

Can you phrase that a different way.

Top_Dawg can't deal with this visual.

^ you love it. Admit it.

DH got called into work, two guys are * cough* very sick today.

got a feeling I'll be sick on Thursday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Yeah, not sure what to think about the Ducks day off yesterday game.

eerily similar to 2006SCF where Canes were MIA in game six and then did enough to win the Cup at home in game 7.

As the Oilers themselves know rebounding from a shellacking is doable. They'll face a different Ducks team in game 7 and one that has the benefit of 2 days rest which is more important to the Ducks recuperation than the Oilers.

In anycase the Preds are laying in wait and resting for whoever comes out of this series. That won't be an easy team for anybody to face.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Other than the 6M buck boys Eberle, and Nuge, only one other Oiler forward seeing action has zero goals. Pouliot. Who see's virtually nill PP time and has bit bottomsix time at that. People can say "look how close, its coming", but I note that's being stated all year.

Heres an interesting wrinkle. Eberle and Nuge are among the Oilers shot taker leaders in regular season and playoffs with only McDavid exceeding them in shots. Its as if they play in Dallas Eakins shot metric universe where taking a shot is its own success. Taking shots from anywhere. Theres nobody on these team, not even close, that takes as many harmless shots as Nuge. He even stated the other day that taking a shot is always a good thing and it creates chances. Not muff shots and his don't lead to a lot of goals, his assists total this season is deplorable considering his usage, linemates, and ample PP time.

My own take is that these two players, with over 460 combined shots this season, are shooting instead of passing, shooting instead of buying time, or holding the puck, and making something happen. To these guys firing a biscuit is a way to make a safe play, end the shift, avoid getting hit, and trot off to the bench with smug satisfaction they're doing their job. On a club with a 44% faceoff success shooting meaningless pucks at the net is basically giving the puck away 56% of the time. This apparently being not well understood.

Back when I played the game we would call these players shot hogs. We would call them something else when they took more shots than anybody on the club and when there are easily half a dozen players on the club that are more dangerous and better options to take those shots. Where I came from people would swear at you if you would monopolize shots. I can't even say these are puck hogs. They don't much like the puck. They just take a shot and hope most times they are in the offensive zone. Also what happened to the cycle. Its been replaced by "hearing footsteps" These two have negligible results at EV.

-1 in a 7-1 Win. Such ineffectual players. Its a results based business and they get nothing done. A combined 38goals reg season/playoffs in 94GP. Either Draisaitl, Maroon have around as many goals individually and each take far less shots and are much more effective players. Speaking of which Draisaitl has no problem working with Lucic effectively while Nuges spends all season "trying to figure out his game" Any guesses how much Lucic would prefer to be playing with Drai and Slepy or whoever fills in on that wing (not eberle)

Its been a great season, except for a few players. We all know who they are.

The Oilers with Chia as manager gave the do nothing twins most of the season with an accomplished Pro, Lucic, the supposed physical horse that would be all they need to get their game going. I can't imagine Chia has watched this whole season and not noted that Lucic is better off almost anywhere else in the lineup. Lucic would probably get more done playing with Slepy and Pakarinen.
    Last edited by Replacement; 08-05-2017 at 11:53 AM.

C2E Posting Power

Many of my friends in the Bow in **** kicker town - very envious of the arena from last night's game....

C2E Posting Power

I'm hoping they ship Pouliot to the Knights or at the very least trade him and his salary for a bucket of pucks....we'd come out miles ahead.....

Might as well mention it in this thread. A police officer in Calgary was blasted for "being unprofessional and conduct unbecoming" For flying an Oilers flag in the squad car. People actually called this unprofessional. I'd give him a promotion for having some nads but that's me.

Hey, can he help it if he likes the Oilers brand better?

But anyway Edmonton envy appears off the charts in Calgary. Lots of teeth clenched over there and more with the Oilers piling up a 7-1 score against the same club the Flamers couldn't beat once. Good times.

No kidding! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Might as well mention it in this thread. A police officer in Calgary was blasted for "being unprofessional and conduct unbecoming" For flying an Oilers flag in the squad car. People actually called this unprofessional. I'd give him a promotion for having some nads but that's me.

Hey, can he help it if he likes the Oilers brand better?

But anyway Edmonton envy appears off the charts in Calgary. Lots of teeth clenched over there and more with the Oilers piling up a 7-1 score against the same club the Flamers couldn't beat once. Good times.

they are seriously conflicted down there. on one hand, you can't cheer for the oilers. but the on the other, they hate the ducks so much...seems most of the league hates, perry, getz and kessler...

Other than the 6M buck boys Eberle, and Nuge, only one other Oiler forward seeing action has zero goals. Pouliot. Who see's virtually nill PP time and has bit bottomsix time at that. People can say "look how close, its coming", but I note that's being stated all year.

Heres an interesting wrinkle. Eberle and Nuge are among the Oilers shot taker leaders in regular season and playoffs with only McDavid exceeding them in shots. Its as if they play in Dallas Eakins shot metric universe where taking a shot is its own success. Taking shots from anywhere. Theres nobody on these team, not even close, that takes as many harmless shots as Nuge. He even stated the other day that taking a shot is always a good thing and it creates chances. Not muff shots and his don't lead to a lot of goals, his assists total this season is deplorable considering his usage, linemates, and ample PP time.

My own take is that these two players, with over 460 combined shots this season, are shooting instead of passing, shooting instead of buying time, or holding the puck, and making something happen. To these guys firing a biscuit is a way to make a safe play, end the shift, avoid getting hit, and trot off to the bench with smug satisfaction they're doing their job. On a club with a 44% faceoff success shooting meaningless pucks at the net is basically giving the puck away 56% of the time. This apparently being not well understood.

Back when I played the game we would call these players shot hogs. We would call them something else when they took more shots than anybody on the club and when there are easily half a dozen players on the club that are more dangerous and better options to take those shots. Where I came from people would swear at you if you would monopolize shots. I can't even say these are puck hogs. They don't much like the puck. They just take a shot and hope most times they are in the offensive zone. Also what happened to the cycle. Its been replaced by "hearing footsteps" These two have negligible results at EV.

-1 in a 7-1 Win. Such ineffectual players. Its a results based business and they get nothing done. A combined 38goals reg season/playoffs in 94GP. Either Draisaitl, Maroon have around as many goals individually and each take far less shots and are much more effective players. Speaking of which Draisaitl has no problem working with Lucic effectively while Nuges spends all season "trying to figure out his game" Any guesses how much Lucic would prefer to be playing with Drai and Slepy or whoever fills in on that wing (not eberle)

The Oilers with Chia as manager gave the do nothing twins most of the season with an accomplished Pro, Lucic, the supposed physical horse that would be all they need to get their game going. I can't imagine Chia has watched this whole season and not noted that Lucic is better off almost anywhere else in the lineup. Lucic would probably get more done playing with Slepy and Pakarinen.

Hilarious how when the Ducks rack up tonnes of useless shots it is domination and then you make this post.

You then say Nuge should be doing better considering his line mates when one of his constant line mates is Ebes who you are also complaining about being ineffective.

That said I would leave Eberle unprotected for the expansion draft and both these players are drastically overpaid. Such is the make-up of the NHL CBA.

Speaking of ineffective, I have to wonder if Maroon was just riding a wave for a month or two that he will never see again. He is a drag on McConnor's production without a doubt.

^The only LV will take him is if they make a back room deal such as taking half his salary. I know I wouldn't not touch him.

In other words he doesn't need to be protected we can protect someone more important.

edit: which is almost everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Speaking of ineffective, I have to wonder if Maroon was just riding a wave for a month or two that he will never see again. He is a drag on McConnor's production without a doubt.
    I think most of us realized that, Maroon had an amazing year, but he is not better than Lucic as Replacement claimed earlier in the year. We got him for nothing for a reason, I hope he bounces back, but sooner or later the puck luck runs out. The good news is Pool Party has actually put up very good stats for a kid in the AHL (a rare thing), he may not be the full solution to CMD's wing, but I expect he will be a part of it.
    Last edited by moahunter; 08-05-2017 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    ^The only LV will take him is if they make a back room deal such as taking half his salary. I know I wouldn't not touch him.
    Las Vegas will probably have to take on some rich contracts in order to meet the cap floor. Eberle would probably be worthwhile as there's no doubt he has the history to be a big scorer. Just hasn't had it here lately.

Pouliot draws a lot of penalties for us. Would be nice to put up some points, but I think he's a role player. Perhaps too expensive.
    Nuge is playing better and better each game.
    I wish Lucic would stop trying to carry the puck up the middle through the defence. He NEVER makes it through.

I found a good stream last week. Just one popup ad, and nearly HD quality. Had to stream from my hotel room as they didn't have the game on their tv package. (Game 5)

Can usually find a good stream in a thread here on game day: https://www.reddit.com/r/NHLStreams/
    I've used the streams on here for a couple games - works great. HD. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hilarious how when the Ducks rack up tonnes of useless shots it is domination and then you make this post.

You then say Nuge should be doing better considering his line mates when one of his constant line mates is Ebes who you are also complaining about being ineffective.

That said I would leave Eberle unprotected for the expansion draft and both these players are drastically overpaid. Such is the make-up of the NHL CBA.

I don't see a lot of the ducks shots as useless. Their characteristic mode is take the play to the net and in tight and getting juicy stuff in traffic. Talbot is fantastic, thus perhaps making the shots seem ineffective. But because Talbot stops almost everything. If Nuge and Eberle were facing Talbot every night they'd maybe score a goal once a month. As it is Nuge hasn't scored since April 4. As far as Eberle in the right configuration at least he can produce. That boat has pretty much sailed with Nuge who is resembling Belanger more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    I think most of us realized that, Maroon had an amazing year, but he is not better than Lucic as Replacement claimed earlier in the year. We got him for nothing for a reason, I hope he bounces back, but sooner or later the puck luck runs out. The good news is Pool Party has actually put up very good stats for a kid in the AHL (a rare thing), he may not be the full solution to CMD's wing, but I expect he will be a part of it.
    I said he's playing better than Lucic. Which was true. If you want to start talking smack lets talk how about your pronouncements that Eberle and Nuge would be huge and clutch in the playoffs. You went as far as to state that anybody that doesn't recognize that is clueless.

Oh, crickets chirping on that point. Wait, they've been lousy and unable to compete against stronger opposition just like I stated. You can ask how I knew that would be the case..

Maroon? He's fine, but playing through injury from my eye. Which often happens in the playoffs and more often to players that regularly engage physically. That said he has 3G 5A 8pts. How many points should he have? PPG in playoffs, lol, hardly any player in the league does that.

I could be sarcastic and say most of us realize .75ppg in the playoffs is damned good for anybody.
    Last edited by Replacement; 08-05-2017 at 05:25 PM.

In other words he doesn't need to be protected we can protect someone more important.

edit: which is almost everyone.
    Eberle, Pouliot, Nuge. 20.5M in capspace and they'd be doing us a favor.

Really how hard would it be to replace any of their contributions?

Nuge has been owned by Getzlaf in this series and can't compete with guys like that. He looks even worse in bottomsix where he still hast trouble getting any edge or traction.

Seems to be that Eberle and Pouliot are playing their way out of town. I think both have some pretty skill and potential. They're players that are good for awhile and obviously the type that need a change of scenery every couple of years. I don't know either what Nuges mindset is playing behind Connor and Leon. Nuge says all the right things and he's a trooper but its got to be a little difficult playing 3rd fiddle when he figured he was the guy for awhile.

Seems odd no game today. I bet the Oilers are getting mighty restless and wishing the game were today. Especially after they were on fire on Sunday. In other news Calgary Flames are burning down with angst. Johnny hockey going to a plastic surgeon to work on his grimaced, horrified expression. Don't contort your face like that, it'll get stuck in that position. Over parenting mothers used to say that.

Get used to it Flamers. This next half dozen years of BOA is more mismatched than even the first go round in the 80's. I wish I had some time to hit up Calgary for a laugh. Maybe this weekend. We'll be sure to rock the Oilers jerseys again. I love checking into the hotel like that and I say don't give me your worst room just because, and don't report me for being "unprofessional"...

Unrelated is Leafs are out of playoffs still thinking so and so is better than McGod, Raptors are knocked out in 4 straight, and the Blue Jays are crap. Also your damn houses are overpriced. Toronto would be a fun place to visit as well. I can hear the deflation from here. Oh, and they need to build an arc. They must have ****** off the gods or something in Toronto and Eastern Canada.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The Edmonton Oilers announced all 18,000 tickets available for the Orange Crush Game 7 Watch Party presented by Rogers sold out in less than two minutes today. The Watch Party, scheduled for Wednesday, May 10 at Rogers Place, will air the live Sportsnet broadcast of Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Playoff series between the Oilers and Anaheim Ducks.

Net proceeds from ticket sales support the initiatives of the Edmonton Oilers Community Foundation.

This is the seventh Orange Crush Watch Party presented by Rogers of the Oilers 2017 playoffs. Total Watch Party ticket sales at Rogers Place have now exceeded 100,000, including four sellouts of 18,000.
    https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/oile...es/c-289353028

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

As of this moment my all Canadian fantasy match up in the final still holds. Game 6 Sens @ Rangers. Yes I know thread police, this is about the Oilers but if we take game 7 tomorrow and the Sens close out the Rangers, then we move closer to a all Canadian match up in the final. It'll never happen of course but I'd love to eat my words if it does.

Hoping for Sens vs Caps and Oil vs Preds with Oil vs Sens in the SCF. Fingers crossed.

If someone has the time and photoshop talent to put an Oilers jersey on Mr. Fudd, please do so and post it here

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Heading into tonight's game has that same kind of calm before the storm feel of game #7 2006 for the finale. Game 6 between the Hurricane/Oilers ended up in a 4-0 win for the Oilers. Kind of like what happened Sunday night for us giving a shellacking to Anaheim 7-1 from the Oilers. Only this is game #7 of round 2, with heading into round #3 up for grabs. There's no way the Ducks are going to take being embarrassed like Sunday nights game here. This is going to be a repeat of Friday nights game. We have some game momentum going in but we also had game momentum in 2006 for something a lot bigger.

Ya but Dwayne Roloson the amazing goaltender that got us that far was injured and out of the game. Ty Conklin was not going to win it for us. Take Talbot out and we wouldn't even be here at all and would not have made the playoffs either.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 10-05-2017 at 10:45 AM.

Most of the pressure to win tonight is on the Ducks - pretty much all the sports news is talking about how the Ducks have choked in all their recent Game 7's. The Oilers were not expected to be here.

If the Oilers build a lead (like they have in every game this series, except one), they need to continue skating and forcing the Ducks to backcheck. The Ducks always struggle when the Oilers do this. The only way the Ducks win is if they slow the game down to a crawl and keep chopping away in the Oilers end of the ice.

It's anyone's game tonight.

C2E Posting Power

A close family friend told me that McDavid is ****** and is going to unleash on the Ducks tonight....fingers crossed.

To Top_Dawg's recollection, Roloson's back-up wasn't Ty Conklin but Jussi rebound.

C2E SME

No, it was Conklin. Markkanen was the 3rd stringer. But Conklin had that horrible mixup with Jason Smith at the end of Game 1 that cost the Oilers the game, so they handed it over to Markkanen to start in Game 2 and he actually played pretty damn well.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Well, I'll be at Southgate about the time the puck drops. I won't get a update until Clareview around 9:30 near the end of the 1st. I can't bare another 2006 repeat. You'd think the city would post game results on the lrt train arrivals, not all of us want or need a cell phone.

You must have a peaceful life without a cell. I would feel very isolated without mine. Had one since those great big ones first came out and before that it was a mobile phone in the truck. I would be 6:30 ched and buds. My wife decided we had to go to the Keg last Friday. I had ched on my iPhone laying on the table to hear the game.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I love the city support for the Oilers right now:

West Block Glenora ground breaking:

https://twitter.com/shanellekaulCTV/...53067408187392

Encore site:

https://twitter.com/westrichpacific/...50701955080192

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    You must have a peaceful life without a cell. I would feel very isolated without mine. Had one since those great big ones first came out and before that it was a mobile phone in the truck. I would be 6:30 ched and buds. My wife decided we had to go to the Keg last Friday. I had ched on my iPhone laying on the table to hear the game.
    I appreciate that but not all of us can afford a $80+monthly fee for a plan. I remember those big cell phones as well. I had a paper route as a part time job in 1981 and the Journal district manager had one. I thought it was a military walkie talkie of some kind. I've got open city wi fi at lrt stations if the train stays around long enough to pick it up. We don't have a cell phone policy at work. I'll be home in time for the 2nd period

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^^ Why do they call it a ground breaking when the project has been idle like that for some time? Still I love the energy and how NHL Home markets support their teams, even if we have wwe style officiating, just saying.

C2E SME

^^ Why do they call it a ground breaking when the project has been idle like that for some time?
    Do I really have to bring up driveways and parkways again?

Great season, Oilers. A pity it had to end now.
    Guess we can lock this thread now and start another off-season thread.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Well, that's it for the season. 2-1 loss in a game where the Ducks played probably their best game of the entire series tonight (and didn't need any help from dodgy officiating this time).

Despite the disappointment tonight, this year was a big success. Nobody expected this Oilers team to get this far this year. We also got to see enough playoff hockey to determine who the real leaders and passengers are. Already looking forward to next year.

Already looking forward to next year.
    Looking forward, without extreme wishfulness like the last decade!
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Thankyou Oilers. I cannot wait until next year. ! Hold your head high guys .Nobody( including myself) expected this run, it was awesome.

The good news is that at least the series is finally over so I no longer have to put up with that horrible "Immigrant Song" remix as the Oilers entrance song in Anaheim.

Great Season !

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Great season, Oilers. A pity it had to end now.
    Guess we can lock this thread now and start another off-season thread.
    Not yet. I'll let this stay open for a couple of days to digest the loss.
    Ow

^Replacement's gotta make a half-dozen 500-word posts first.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    ^Replacement's gotta make a half-dozen 500-word posts first.
    heh

Nuge, Eberle, Pouliot flush.

that's it.

Everything else is good.

Well, that's it for the season. 2-1 loss in a game where the Ducks played probably their best game of the entire series tonight (and didn't need any help from dodgy officiating this time).

Despite the disappointment tonight, this year was a big success. Nobody expected this Oilers team to get this far this year. We also got to see enough playoff hockey to determine who the real leaders and passengers are. Already looking forward to next year.
    There was dodgy officiating. The one that ruled out the Ducks first goal on a false offside call. Or not calling a penalty when a shorthanded Oiler slashed and broke the stick of a Duck which would have led to a 5 on 3. Which the Oilers were granted multiple times in this playoffs.

Reinforcing that the speculation that the NHL wants US clubs to win is ridiculous. All the calls in this pivotal game 7 went against the Ducks. Keep in mind this is two important goals in the last 3 GP that the Ducks had waved off. Both were legit goals.

Carlyle post game citing that the turning point in the game was when the Ducks 3rd line started dominating the Oilers 3rd line (Hello Nuge, Eberle) and the rest of the Ducks took it from there.

Good mostly-clean game. Wish the series was like this. Good hustle from the ducks. Lackadaisical second period and last half of the first. The 2-1 score was another testament to Talbot. Was not a close game.

Slight pang of disappointment obviously with the loss, but nothing compared to Game 5....still peeved about the absolute disastrous collapse and a golden gift from the NHL.

Nonetheless, credits to the duck for overcoming a 2-0 series deficit and the a 3-0 deficit with 3minutes and 15 seconds left. We had our chances.

Time to add some key pieces, maybe a puck moving D-man, a faceoff capable forward and a reliable backup goalie.

Go Nashville. I don't want to see another California NHL team in the SCF....
    Last edited by B.ike; 11-05-2017 at 12:02 AM.

There was dodgy officiating. The one that ruled out the Ducks first goal on a false offside call. Or not calling a penalty when a shorthanded Oiler slashed and broke the stick of a Duck which would have led to a 5 on 3. Which the Oilers were granted multiple times in this playoffs.

Reinforcing that the speculation that the NHL wants US clubs to win is ridiculous. All the calls in this pivotal game 7 went against the Ducks. Keep in mind this is two important goals in the last 3 GP that the Ducks had waved off. Both were legit goals.

Carlyle post game citing that the turning point in the game was when the Ducks 3rd line started dominating the Oilers 3rd line (Hello Nuge, Eberle) and the rest of the Ducks took it from there.

They showed a replay of the offside play showing that it was an offside play. Didn't you see it? What was the other 'ligit goal' in the last three games they had taken away from them? Did you not see the play near the end of the second period where Getzlaf should have gotten a delay of game penalty in the face-off circle and the ref was actually skating towards the penalty box and somehow changed his mind?

"All the calls in this pivotal game 7 went against the Ducks." What are all the calls? There were only two of them. They did not want to call penalties today at all. Something that obviously played to the Ducks advantage as their power play sucked and the Oilers had a lot of success in the series on the power play.

The bottom line was the Oilers did not play their game. They played too slow for too much of the game. It was only after they lost the lead that they started to play with some speed.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Well lets face it, Anaheim had a bit of help with 2 botched goal tender interference calls. And isn't it odd that the press is making such a big deal about those 3 quick goals Anaheim got with 3:16 remaining on the clock and not mentioning that the Ducks had to pull their goal tender those 3 times to get the extra man to get the job done. Those goal tender interference calls would have been called in the regular season. I agree with Replacement above, Ebs and Nuge, have got to go. I just hope Nashville can take out the Ducks.
    Last edited by envaneo; 11-05-2017 at 12:47 AM.

I think I was the only one on this board that expected the Oilers to make the playoffs and go on a run.

This should kill the diminished expectations stuff that always drove me crazy.

Congratulations to the Oilers for a strong run, and for bringing the city together!
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    Las Vegas will probably have to take on some rich contracts in order to meet the cap floor. Eberle would probably be worthwhile as there's no doubt he has the history to be a big scorer. Just hasn't had it here lately.

Pouliot draws a lot of penalties for us. Would be nice to put up some points, but I think he's a role player. Perhaps too expensive.
    I wish Lucic would stop trying to carry the puck up the middle through the defence. He NEVER makes it through.
    If I'm George McPhee, and need to get to the salary cap floor, I'm offer sheeting Draisaitl for more than the Oilers can afford to pay him, considering McDavid will be getting the league maximum soon. Then they have a legit #1 centre for many years to come.

I sure wouldn't let anyone dump their bad contracts on my new team. But ever hopeful
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

They showed a replay of the offside play showing that it was an offside play. Didn't you see it? What was the other 'ligit goal' in the last three games they had taken away from them? Did you not see the play near the end of the second period where Getzlaf should have gotten a delay of game penalty in the face-off circle and the ref was actually skating towards the penalty box and somehow changed his mind?

"All the calls in this pivotal game 7 went against the Ducks." What are all the calls? There were only two of them. They did not want to call penalties today at all. Something that obviously played to the Ducks advantage as their power play sucked and the Oilers had a lot of success in the series on the power play.

The bottom line was the Oilers did not play their game. They played too slow for too much of the game. It was only after they lost the lead that they started to play with some speed.
    After they went to commercial the replay they showed in the telecast was also not clear. Being that the puck was in the zone the puck has to come outside of the zone, completely, for it to be offside. I saw no white between the puck and the blueline and also did not see any blow-ups of the play. In anycase, and the reason I mention it, is it was very close. There were multiple posters just the other day saying the fix was in and the NHL wanted the Ducks to Win, wanted US clubs to win. Yet they waved this goal off emphatically as it it was not even close. Had they played through it becomes a much different situation where the Oilers then have to challenge the alleged offside and there has to be proof to overturn the call on the ice. But ask yourself how an official could so clearly call that offside when it was so close. It was a guess. There's not conspiracy at work, just bad officiating, every which way.

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    Good mostly-clean game. Wish the series was like this. Good hustle from the ducks. Lackadaisical second period and last half of the first. The 2-1 score was another testament to Talbot. Was not a close game.

Slight pang of disappointment obviously with the loss, but nothing compared to Game 5....still peeved about the absolute disastrous collapse and a golden gift from the NHL.

Nonetheless, credits to the duck for overcoming a 2-0 series deficit and the a 3-0 deficit with 3minutes and 15 seconds left. We had our chances.

Time to add some key pieces, maybe a puck moving D-man, a faceoff capable forward and a reliable backup goalie.

Go Nashville. I don't want to see another California NHL team in the SCF....
    Just of note that the Ducks comeback in game 5, while helpful, didn't really mean the series. Had they lost that game they could still win game 6 and 7. For sure they would have played better in game 6 if they had to have it. Expectedly we saw a much different Ducks club last night and that dominated the game through large stretches and the entire 2nd period. The Ducks won the coaching and preparation battle in the Game 7. They knew how to turn the game, they did, and didn't let go once they did. Talbot was freaking fantastic and it wasn't enough. Without Talbot in net the Ducks score 5-6 goals last night against a mortal netminder.

This was a SC worthy run from Talbot. I don't know that I've seen a goalie play better. He kept this game close countless times.

The Oilers got 11 sog in last 2 periods with the game, series, and season on the line. Outside of a few shifts they looked completely bottled in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post

If I'm George McPhee, and need to get to the salary cap floor, I'm offer sheeting Draisaitl for more than the Oilers can afford to pay him, considering McDavid will be getting the league maximum soon. Then they have a legit #1 centre for many years to come.

I sure wouldn't let anyone dump their bad contracts on my new team. But ever hopeful
    Was widely speculated that Draisaitl could be asking anywhere up to 10M. Now with this unbelievable playoff performance, and being far better than even McDavid this just became the contract floor. If Drai somehow gets less than 10M/longterm they're just leaving money on the table. But I think Drai really likes it here and that McDavid and Drai really like it here enough and bonded that the homeside discount might occur. Drai would be the guy on more than half of NHL clubs, he's that good. On this team he's mostly 2nd fiddle. Will depend what type of personality he is. There's more than a bit of alpha in this guy but he seems comfortable with McDavid and Connor has handled this situation extremely well being sure to give Drai credit at every turn.

Let me remind though that a mere 2mths ago we had Tychkowski in the Edmonton Sun flaming Drai's play and suggesting contract should be in lieu of Drai always losing steam and lacking in "conditioning" and that he really hasn't shown enough to have the Oilers bending over. Tych has said nothing on the topic since. I called out the article the day it was printed. How do guys like that get paid to write about sports?

^what are you smoking? The sky falling again? Drai is not getting 10m. He is an RFA, he will most likely get a contract comparable to Monahan, or Gaudreau or Hall, I expect between 6 and 7m if long term, 8 would be a stretch. The Oilers should have learned by now, a lesson from after 2006, not to go stupid with contracts just because of a good playoff performance.
    Last edited by moahunter; 11-05-2017 at 07:48 AM.

What a beautiful day it is : team katz.. is out of the playoffs !

karma for pillaging education taxes and using it for entertainment

Those two angles showed clearly offside, you must have a blurry tv. No one mentioned Connor being bulldozed to the ice with a player on top of him as if it were WWE. Such a bizarre play they likely didn't even have such a rule in the play book to call it. If called it could have been the difference. If Getzlaf were sent to the box at that faceoff it could have been the difference, and there were others. One good thing is I won't have to see Replacement dumping all over the Oil for a while. I am thoroughly disgusted with this person. All the crap we've taken from him from the team to the arena to god knows what. Makes me ill. Consider some serious counselling.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^what are you smoking? The sky falling again? Drai is not getting 10m. He is an RFA, he will most likely get a contract comparable to Monahan, or Gaudreau or Hall, I expect between 6 and 7m if long term. The Oilers should have learned by now not to go stupid with contracts just because of a good playoff performance.
    Offer sheets exist, its a possibility. Drai could be a franchise player for some team. Its not inconceivable. Nor would you want to bridge contract Draisaitl.

Glad you appeared. Hey, how about that "Clutch" performance by Eberle in the playoffs.

Ironically that was one of the contracts the Oilers got stupid on. But if you can't tell the difference between the compete level of Drai and eberle I can't help you.

Oh, let us know more about that "resurging" Nuge line and that anybody that can't see that doesn't know anything..

Being that you called me out on my critique of Eberle and Nuges play so many times you are curiously quiet on this now.

Quote Originally Posted by champking View Post
    What a beautiful day it is : team katz.. is out of the playoffs !

karma for pillaging education taxes and using it for entertainment
    Another real winner.

Tough loss, but proud of how the season went! We will be back

Now the optics. Drai is playing for a team that gave Eberle and Nuge almost automatic contracts before they had accomplished anything significant or sustained and only on regular season stats padding results on a team that was awful. So that I either could accumulate pad points without any expectation of being complete players that was fine and heres the Brinks truck with your Money. FF to Draisaitl showing himself to be an elite player 2 years running, and now an elite player, one of the best, in the playoffs and there isn't going to be hesitation. This org has painted itself in the corner on contracts now. It not only overpaid Nuge and eberle years ago it made them captains on the squad as recently as the start of this season. That was curious then, it stinks now.

Drai isn't an *****, he knows he just ruled playoff hockey, the very highest level of hockey played in the NHL, and that the whole league and teams were watching. Drai was 2nd in pts in the playoffs. He was one of the most dominating players, consistently, in the playoffs, after a topten pts season. You think this comes cheap like borscht?

Drai would be considered the Marquee player on more than half of NHL teams. Many of which can offer sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by barhonda View Post
    Tough loss, but proud of how the season went! We will be back
    Unless Conner decides after all the grabbing, pushing, punching, tackling, and general abuse he's taken to play in Europe next year or take up professional golf.

Those two angles showed clearly offside, you must have a blurry tv. No one mentioned Connor being bulldozed to the ice with a player on top of him as if it were WWE. Such a bizarre play they likely didn't even have such a rule in the play book to call it. If called it could have been the difference. If Getzlaf were sent to the box at that faceoff it could have been the difference, and there were others. One good thing is I won't have to see Replacement dumping all over the Oil for a while. I am thoroughly disgusted with this person. All the crap we've taken from him from the team to the arena to god knows what. Makes me ill. Consider some serious counselling.
    At what point did you see a clear replay on the offside? The telecast, laughably, never showed a replay until AFTER commercial break and even at that point it was an across ice replay and not blown up to see if the puck had completely crossed outside of the line. Did they show better angles later, at intermission? I never watch intermission, usually just watch the periods.

They showed the two later, yes, agreed it was clearly the right call.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 11-05-2017 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    The Ducks won the coaching and preparation battle in the Game 7.
    Yup.

Ol' McLellan can win you all the games except the ones that matter.

He had a team here on a huge roll. The best goaltending I've seen this millennium, huge performances by Drai, the entire D, and he rode this to a team playing inconsistently, not playing well at all some games, and in general a team that played one solid period a game in this series. That was a clear pattern. That the Oilers would play one period expecting that to be enough. In a 7 game series involving3OT periods and 24 periods in all the Oilers were at their peak in around 7-8 of them. They were outplayed in easily a dozen of the periods.

One can look at small adjustments. The Ducks learned some Oilers breakouts and were intercepting the puck on the boards with regularity, they were simply getting between the D and the Oilers man up high. This occurred 50 times over the last 5 GP. It was a classic adjustment. It even resulted directly in one of the OT W goals. The Oilers were still allowing this last night. It was still apparently not drilled into them that you can't consistently let Ducks wingers get in front of them and intercept passes. The Ducks forwards were the Oilers D puck support... The Oilers own forwards were often seen flying the zone. Even McDAvid. He needs to look at the game films.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Even if we trade several players for a bag of pucks and bring up a few guys we will do alright next season.

The Oilers should have been able to sweep Anaheim the writing was on the wall. We had them dead to rights but 2 goal tender interference calls gave them the momentum. That's the real elephant in the room as to what happened.

Its going to be an interesting off season.

Yup - those calls (or non-calls) on those crucial Anaheim goals were borderline enough, that with a different referees working those games the Oilers would have won the series in 5 or 6 games. I am amazed that replay reviews and coaches challenges have made NHL officiating even more inconsistent.

^The unintended side effect though of increased scrutiny that comes from more camera's, more angles, more reviews is that it reveals more mistakes, and in the end interferes with the realtime officiating of the fast flow game of hockey. Mistakes in officiating are going to be as much a things as mistakes in play. You just hope to keep those to a minimum.

Could you imagine if we always had video review and how awful it is? Paul Hendersons goal called back because the entry play 50secs before was offside by a centimeter..

If we really think about this the review aspect is ruining realtime results. Its like I can't even jump up and cheer for a goal anymore, I have to wait until the review is done. This being worse in the CFL with PI calls. Just when you think your team has made a key stop the opposition gets awarded the one yard line..

Even if we trade several players for a bag of pucks and bring up a few guys we will do alright next season.

The Oilers should have been able to sweep Anaheim the writing was on the wall. We had them dead to rights but 2 goal tender interference calls gave them the momentum. That's the real elephant in the room as to what happened.

Its going to be an interesting off season.
    Weren't the bad calls in game 5? The Oilers mostly had themselves to blame for Game 3 and Game 4 losses imo. But leaving it to one goal chance and close games leaves the results subject to random event. The Oilers were good enough, when they applied themselves, that they should have won this series in 5 games. That's good and bad as the team learns the harsh lesson of not giving it everything every period. Plus the club learns what players need to be moved. Losing has its positive aspects and winning disguises some problems.

One overall problem is team conditioning. For a young team you shouldn't be chronically outworked by an older club, yet that's what happened. Ducks shift to shift recovery was better than ours. They had more energy by the series end. Even the Energy players like Kassian, Maroon, even McDavid sucking air. We know Eberle and Nuge were.

The bad calls were mostly in game 4. Three out of the four Duck goals. There was just the one glaringly bad review in game 5.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ You are correct. But just to be clear: The OT win was game #4 and game #5. Both of these games in a perfect world should have been called. Kesler's obvious tampering with the Talbot pads should have been called but Bias crept into the act. Shown ad nausea:

https://scoutingtherefs.com/2017/05/...-interference/

From Rule 69.3:
    If, after any contact by a goalkeeper who is attempting to establish position in his goal crease, the attacking player does not immediately vacate his current position in the goal crease (i.e. give ground to the goalkeeper), and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed. In all such cases, whether or not a goal is scored, the attacking player will receive a minor penalty for goalkeeper interference.

It's all over and done with now and most of us (including me) have moved on.

If in the expansion draft if the Oilers need to leave one player un-protected I wouldn't lose any sleep if it was Ebs going to Vegas.
    Last edited by envaneo; 13-05-2017 at 12:59 AM.

https://twitter.com/northsidechad/st...37088618307585

Chad Huculak‏@northsidechad
    Had a lot of fun putting together this illustrated look back at the #Oilers 2017 playoffs. http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...the-meme-ories … #yeg #OrangeCrush

^ You are correct. But just to be clear: The OT win was game #4 and game #5. Both of these games in a perfect world should have been called. Kesler's obvious tampering with the Talbot pads should have been called but Bias crept into the act. Shown ad nausea:

https://scoutingtherefs.com/2017/05/...-interference/

From Rule 69.3:
    If, after any contact by a goalkeeper who is attempting to establish position in his goal crease, the attacking player does not immediately vacate his current position in the goal crease (i.e. give ground to the goalkeeper), and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed. In all such cases, whether or not a goal is scored, the attacking player will receive a minor penalty for goalkeeper interference.

It's all over and done with now and most of us (including me) have moved on.

If in the expansion draft if the Oilers need to leave one player un-protected I wouldn't lose any sleep if it was Ebs going to Vegas.
    For prosperity, here was the NHL's response or lack of:

Watching this stuff again brings on the salt.

And in game 4, when Talbot was bumped, at first I didn't have much opinion on the goal. But now that I watch again, Talbot is inside his crease and Perry makes contact literally 0.25 seconds before the puck arrives.
    No way Talbot could have reset. Notice how much space is between Larsson and Talbot. Perry had plenty of space to avoid Talbot.

https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/st...75999764746240

I should stop visiting this thread, my blood pressure is going up.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

I am closing this thread. The trade/expansion talk has MOVED HERE.
    Ow

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234