Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NHL Playoffs Round 2. Oilers v Ducks

C2E Long Term Contributor

Cam Talbot for Mayor!

The Oilers got lucky there. They were playing so well until the Ducks PP goal sapped them of energy. Thankfully it took a late Ducks penalty to take the wind out of their sails.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

One of those ugly games that a team's gotta win to be blessed in the playoffs.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

I'd rather C2E than work!

Someone pinch me. Super!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Cam Talbot was phenomenal! If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't be ahead. The refs were stingy with calling penalties.. Especially when the ducks were wrestling players .
    Happy horns are honking!

Back to home ice, and good ice. Damn that Anaheim crap is awful!

That was insane! I can't believe the Oilers won that game, and leave Anaheim 2 games up on the Ducks.

I had a buddy at the game (he lives in LA) who paid $175 for 2nd row tickets behind the Ducks net on Stubhub. That's SO cheap! It was distracting because I kept seeing him every time they were in the Ducks end.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

goal post shoulda been third star

majority of the penalties called were questionable. The call when Pouliot got high-sticked was odd...play was blown dead with oilers possession and refs were hesitant to call it to start.
    The interference call and goal waved off was BS when the exact same thing happened in the 2nd with Benning getting shoved into Cambot and no call there.
    the refs are out to get the oilers, glad the hockey gods are doing otherwise.

Ugly game, but what a great feeling to be up 2-0 after playing one of the best home teams in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Wow. So far the only Oiler playing well is Cam. The second, the ring of the post. Possession is mainly in the Oilers defensive zone...very frustrating to watch.
    Ducks were at home with last line change and throwing everything they had at the Oilers. They were doubleshifting their topsix, particularly Getzlaf, and were desperate to try to win. In fairness to the Oilers they didn't get a lot of shots after it was 2-0 and played in a shell but they had an active counter game going and were getting quality chances. The Oilers nearly scored the 3rd goal so many times.

Gibson is one of those goalies I don't trust. He has a noted tendency to panic with the puck in his body and almost knocked the puck in 5 times in this series. He has knocked the puck in twice.

Talbot is 1993 Patrick Roy right now. He's simply perfect. The degree of sound fundamentals, perfect anticipation of plays and calm demeanor is incredible. He lets opponents know he's in a zone as well. The first sign you know an opponent is in trouble is when they are routinely firing wide or passing off opportunities because they figure the perfect shot is required.

Conversely the Oilers only have to dump the puck into the crease area and its an adventure with Gibson.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post

majority of the penalties called were questionable. The call when Pouliot got high-sticked was odd...play was blown dead with oilers possession and refs were hesitant to call it to start.
    The interference call and goal waved off was BS when the exact same thing happened in the 2nd with Benning getting shoved into Cambot and no call there.
    Connor was on a rush once and the Defender grabbed his head. He was in clear without that. It was 2-0, Ducks reeling, and almost certainly would have been 3-0. They didn't call it.

Ducks are in shock in this series. Unlike the Sharks, who rebounded, I doubt the Ducks have much in them right now. They can't play the Oilers. In terms of creating dangerous chances we're on a different level. Put it this way Draisaitl is better than Getzlaf. The ducks don't have anything that looks like McDavid. They're awed.

Game within a game is the Oilers were playing near perfect hockey in the first period. They were crisp and dangerous. Ducks were struggling. You could see the doubt in the Ducks and the sagging on the bench right away. Getting scored on in the first minute in a game you have to have pretty much shows where the Ducks are, cooked.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Kevin Karius quote this morning. "The Ducks are actually paying Maroon part of his salary to play and score against them in the playoffs"

Any org that gives up on a Patrick Maroon is completely clueless. I figured before the series started that was going to be interesting dynamic. Every Ducks player on the roster knows that management screwed up on this one. Patrick Maroon is a big strong, physical heart player. Also a late bloomer.

They didn't comment on it in the telecast but theres one moment in the game where you just know its over. Where the Ducks are just playing through and have lost the fight. Maroon is staring right at Kesler and preventing him from going to the bench for around 10 secs. Kesler didn't even try to fight back. Maroon was all "what are you gonna do about it" Nothing. Its over.

Like I said when you see a Sekera staring down Getzlaf and laughing at him after game 1 you figure its over. The Oilers not only expect to win this series they know they will. That was communicated indelibly.
    Last edited by Replacement; 29-04-2017 at 08:26 AM.

Nuge had a couple of really, really bad plays last night. One where he stopped at our blue line to pass back to the D (I assume) and ended up turning the puck over for a grade A chance on Talbot.

I'm the replacement Replacement today. Not sure what's going on there, buddy... all this positivity coming from you (it's nice to see).
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Connor was on a rush once and the Defender grabbed his head. He was in clear without that. It was 2-0, Ducks reeling, and almost certainly would have been 3-0. They didn't call it.

Ducks are in shock in this series. Unlike the Sharks, who rebounded, I doubt the Ducks have much in them right now. They can't play the Oilers. In terms of creating dangerous chances we're on a different level. Put it this way Draisaitl is better than Getzlaf. The ducks don't have anything that looks like McDavid. They're awed.

Game within a game is the Oilers were playing near perfect hockey in the first period. They were crisp and dangerous. Ducks were struggling. You could see the doubt in the Ducks and the sagging on the bench right away. Getting scored on in the first minute in a game you have to have pretty much shows where the Ducks are, cooked.
    Can't imagine the Oilers not handing them a physical beat down from the first drop of the puck. The home crowd will pummel the Ducks, too. Nobody excepted them to come home 2-0. They need to make these two games count and get a solid rest. Would be a shame to let a 2-0 lead go to 7 games or even lose the series altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Nuge had a couple of really, really bad plays last night. One where he stopped at our blue line to pass back to the D (I assume) and ended up turning the puck over for a grade A chance on Talbot.

I'm the replacement Replacement today. Not sure what's going on there, buddy... all this positivity coming from you (it's nice to see).
    heh, I stopped myself from mentioning that play. He did turn the puck over 3 times on that sequence as well but the one you mention, oh boy. Talbot is god though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post

heh, I stopped myself from mentioning that play. He did turn the puck over 3 times on that sequence as well but the one you mention, oh boy. Talbot is god though.
    Nuge is generally doing enough. It helps a quantum amount that he has either of the top 2 D pairings on the ice at all times and they are just owning, and of course Talbot. Not noted is how much Sekera has elevated this season from last. I know he's properly used as a 2nd pairing now but either him and Russell or him and Nurse make an effective 2nd pair. The Oilers have depth over the Ducks at nearly every position. Ducks can't get a matchup they like.

Maroon already took their puck. Its in Edmonton already.

edit; how did this end up being a second post? will this edit result in a 3rd post? lol board is wonky this am. it has me talking to myself..

Quote Originally Posted by magnum74 View Post

Can't imagine the Oilers not handing them a physical beat down from the first drop of the puck. The home crowd will pummel the Ducks, too. Nobody excepted them to come home 2-0. They need to make these two games count and get a solid rest. Would be a shame to let a 2-0 lead go to 7 games or even lose the series altogether.
    It only gets worse from here for the Ducks. They might get swept in the airport and just go home. Nothing but dejection and confusion. Oilers are better and they know it. Its rare that I would be this cocky about a series but you just see heads hung throughout the Ducks lineup. They aren't believing. Doesn't help that your goalie knocks a puck in his own net every game and that Talbot allows 2 goal average in a game. Oilers could even drop one of the home games and I think they would still close out in 5. Would be nice to do it in 4 and get a rest. Although with how good the Oilers are feeling you kind of want them to continue to see action through this streak. 6W's in their last 7 playoff games. Oddly enough the only one they dropped in that span was the 7-0 game. Any game they've competed in they'v'e won. That's gotta be disconcerting for opposition.

I have mixed feelings on getting it done quickly, as you said. It'd be nice for them to get a rest, but I actually think that's what killed us in 05-06. We went into the finals having swept the previous series, and the team had a break. It was just go-go-go for the last part of the season, all through the playoffs until they got a rest. I think the rest calmed them down, and they realized how tired they were. I hope that doesn't happen again.

On the other hand, you can't have a player injured in a game that's not played.

Too many days off can definitely kill the momentum. Not easy to stay jacked up when you have a week off waiting for the next series to happen.

I think the ducks might win one in Edmonton.

Lucky and my god Talbot controls the puck. His vision of the ice and how he anticipates is incredible.

Let's finish them off Sun/Wed.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

OK, I blame it on this picture in the article;

https://www.nhl.com/news/edmonton-lo...?tid=287345756

This is whats called bailing from a hit. I watched the play several times. Nuge is skating fine, but spots a hit coming and rather than go to the puck he turns away, to the boards, and throws himself down to evade hit. He actually hit the ice. I wasn't going to comment on it but the picture is funny, and reminded me of the instance.

This is a segment of the game I found interesting. it was part of Nuge's momentous 3rd period struggles in the game. This photo captures a hockey event I find critical regarding players. The willingness to take a hit as part of puck battle. On this particular play Nuge throws himself on the ice to avoid a hit and consequently avoiding a battle for the puck. Now I do note that Nuge has taken hits in the playoffs to make a play around five times but often times he'll just back off. I wouldn't comment on the intentional falling down before a hit except that its such a regular season pattern with Nuge and in this instance showing up in playoffs. He makes it into an artform where it looks like he slipped. Being how often he does it just before getting nailed its not incidental.

Its stuff like this that are still some junk in his game, where he intentionally backs off, that prevents a very talented player from being the best he can be. The willingness to take a hit to battle for the puck can't be an on and off again thing for an alleged shutdown center. It has to become part of his DNA.

Nuge now has tons of role models on the team that would never do what he did in this picture. The time of avoiding physical hits is past. To be clear a talented checker bailing from a hit is a Junior Hockey league play. It needs to be weeded out in the NHL, and especially in the playoffs. Deciding not to battle for a puck in own zone is unacceptable. Its man up time now.
    Last edited by Replacement; 29-04-2017 at 08:51 PM.

Nuge was one of the top performing Oilers last night. Lucic was as well, other than a couple of times he was quite trustworthy with the puck.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Nuge was one of the top performing Oilers last night. Lucic was as well, other than a couple of times he was quite trustworthy with the puck.
    Notwithstanding that overall both played reasonably well both also had several of the worst turnovers of the game. There was some real braincramps on that line last night. Only Talbot, Stellar D play recovering, and goal posts prevented worse. As it was RNH on for the GA. Also 2 Goal posts against.

The best forwards on this team by a mile are McDavid, Drai and have been all season and continue to be now.

Plus its ridiculous to say Nuge was one of the "top performing Oilers" last night.

Talbot McDavid, Drai, Larsson Klef, Sekera, Russell Kass, Maroon, Letestu, Lucic more or less in that order were the best performers. As they have been throughout the playoffs.

I think Eberle has done a fairly good disappearing act. One thing I've noticed is that Ebs and RNH can be knocked off the puck quite easily. They are fairly light for this league now as the bigger bodies have taken over. However Dejarnais does quite well for his small stature.

Another post on the Maroon angle. Hilarious that Maroon is an Oiler, the Ducks are eating part of his salary, AND watching him score the winning goal in the must win game 2. When he isn't blocking Kesler from going to the bench, isn't in their faces all night, isn't asking "what ya gonna do about it" or stealing their puck.

Its still mysterious. The Ducks, at the time, moved Maroon to make way for Jamie McGinn, who they felt was more talented, as if McGinn is any prize. That experiment lasted one season, they got rid of McGinn, didn't even bother to resign him, he's now toiling in hell on the Arizona Coyotes, and now Nick Ritchie has the plum gig on left wing playing in topsix and with guys like Getzlaf and Perry. So that in two seasons they've gone from Patrick Maroon to Nick ***** Ritchie slotting in there. This is too funny for words.

So last night Maroon bags the winning goal, with grins ear to ear, and Ritchie calls sick one minute before gametime in a game his club has to win. Which left the Ducks scrambling at last minute to figure out who to slot in. Maroon would have to be dead and stuffed in concrete to prevent him from playing in a playoff game.

Ever since we got Maroon I've been wondering what the Ducks were thinking. Its so delicious this is blowing up in their faces. Must be a lot of salt to know Maroon scored nearly 30 goals this season or that he has 37G 23A 70pts in 105GP as an Oiler. Better stat lines than almost any Duck in that span and incredibly hard to play against.

Patrick Maroon, Edmonton Oiler, still can't get over that. He was one of my favorite non Oiler personalities and playoff support performers in the league.
    Last edited by Replacement; 30-04-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Huge anticipation for me today on what comes from tonight. I cannot wait to go Wednesday. GO OILERS GO!
    www.decl.org

Another post on the Maroon angle. Hilarious that Maroon is an Oiler, the Ducks are eating part of his salary, AND watching him score the winning goal in the must win game 2. When he isn't blocking Kesler from going to the bench, isn't in their faces all night, isn't asking "what ya gonna do about it" or stealing their puck.

Its still mysterious. The Ducks, at the time, moved Maroon to make way for Jamie McGinn, who they felt was more talented, as if McGinn is any prize. That experiment lasted one season, they got rid of McGinn, didn't even bother to resign him, he's now toiling in hell on the Arizona Coyotes, and now Nick Ritchie has the plum gig on left wing playing in topsix and with guys like Getzlaf and Perry. So that in two seasons they've gone from Patrick Maroon to Nick ***** Ritchie slotting in there. This is too funny for words.

So last night Maroon bags the winning goal, with grins ear to ear, and Ritchie calls sick one minute before gametime in a game his club has to win. Which left the Ducks scrambling at last minute to figure out who to slot in. Maroon would have to be dead and stuffed in concrete to prevent him from playing in a playoff game.

Ever since we got Maroon I've been wondering what the Ducks were thinking. Its so delicious this is blowing up in their faces. Must be a lot of salt to know Maroon scored nearly 30 goals this season or that he has 37G 23A 70pts in 105GP as an Oiler. Better stat lines than almost any Duck in that span and incredibly hard to play against.

Patrick Maroon, Edmonton Oiler, still can't get over that. He was one of my favorite non Oiler personalities and playoff support performers in the league.
    It's nice when these types of deals work in your favor. Easily one of the best acquisitions by any team in recent years. The best thing to happen to the Oilers the past 10 is the "3rd party" coach and GM a couple years ago. Even though they were still awful last year it was the first time in many that I was actually looking forward to the teams future. I was content with the them being in the playoff mix and missing out this year but they've defied that. Even Vegas is looking favorably on the team. Oilers need to simply blitzkrieg the Ducks with speed and bodies from the get go for the two home games. Even if they're able to take this series Nashville looks very tough, St. Louis not so sure. Might be Pittsburgh's year again.

Quote Originally Posted by magnum74 View Post

It's nice when these types of deals work in your favor. Easily one of the best acquisitions by any team in recent years. The best thing to happen to the Oilers the past 10 is the "3rd party" coach and GM a couple years ago. Even though they were still awful last year it was the first time in many that I was actually looking forward to the teams future. I was content with the them being in the playoff mix and missing out this year but they've defied that. Even Vegas is looking favorably on the team. Oilers need to simply blitzkrieg the Ducks with speed and bodies from the get go for the two home games. Even if they're able to take this series Nashville looks very tough, St. Louis not so sure. Might be Pittsburgh's year again.
    With Ottawa taking out the Rangers it sure looks like the Pens path to the final is secured. Caps once again outright failures in the playoffs.

Preds will be a tough task because they can defend. But Rinne's game is also noted to fall right into the toilet at times. You never know what Rinne you're getting. The Oilers would destroy the Blues, Preds will be a better series.

In a final I would think Pittsburgh would be able to beat us. They're also getting good goaltending and have pretty good org depth. They get the experience advantage, but not the hunger advantage.

I think the Oilers score first again tonight and that things can go way further downhill for the Ducks in a hurry. Given the dirty nature of that team I wouldn't be surprised if one of their guys starts trying to take out a couple Oilers. I have negligible respect for the Ducks, even less now.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

aaaaaaaaaaaaaand just like that. 2 shots. 2 goals. Duck 2. Oil 0.

C'mon boys, you can't ride the goalie's coattails the entire series...
    Onward and upward

Maroon taking a lot of crap penalties lately.

TV's off now, couldn't watch anymore.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Nuge! OK maybe I'll flip the telly back on again...

I can't turn it off, its unlucky for my oilers. Who missed the last oilers goal???shame.on.you!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Maroon scored. Nuges deflection was going wide.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

3-2!
    Onward and upward

3-2!

Yesssssssss!

Another one bounced of Maroon. Too bad he can't score from the slot.
    Last edited by SP59; 30-04-2017 at 07:39 PM.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

...well, the latter part of period 2 definitely shows signs of the team waking up...
    Onward and upward

Too close to call! B S!

6-3! Sorry boys. turning off the TV; time to do some chores.

Well, Anaheim is getting a ton of luck around the Oilers net tonight. Just like the 7-0 loss to San Jose, this looks like one of those games.

They'll be fine on Wednesday. Anaheim needed this game. I knew they'd win at least one.

Another one bounced of Maroon. Too bad he can't score from the slot.
    Wait, what? Maroon has scored 30 goals now this season. You critiquing him on goal scoring? How about Nuge that's a first pick that has a paltry 18G in 91GP? With two of those being empty net goals.

Anybody else wonder why Eberle is even occupying a spot on the ice? This has to the most ineffective player on either squad. He's a such non entity I would seriously consider benching him. For sure Pacman would at least inject some energy, hits, and easily replace Eberles nothing contribution. Wheres Moa saying Jordan Eberle is a clutch player who will be a monster in the playoffs. Eberle -3 tonight and just being an awful hockey player. There is nothing this guy is bringing. Guaranteed to be gone in the offseason.

Not too worried about this one. Seems when the Oil lose they lose big. That the Ducks gave up a 3 goal lead in this one doesn't escape me. That team is so beatable.
    Last edited by Replacement; 30-04-2017 at 09:15 PM.

Most of the talk on the internet and on both sides of the border is Brett Kissel's audio issues resulting in all of Rogers Place singing the American anthem.
    We have the best fans!

Exactly how they had to come out and play. We have a series.

Keep that TV on...
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Exactly how they had to come out and play. We have a series.

Keep that TV on...
    We don't have a series, the Duck is still cooked, and you're not supposed to be cheering for the opposition to extend a series just because your'e a DT backer and it brings people DT.

Sheesh, I thought I was on an Anaheim board with you celebrating that start to the game..

Are you wearing the wrong kind of orange. I can't tell..heh

You either don't watch hockey or are oblivious to statistics.

They were going to do exactly what we saw tonight. Everyone knew that.
    www.decl.org

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Yeah, they needed to come out hard and they did. The Oilers were still playing like they did in Game 2. By the time they woke up, they spot the Ducks 3 goals. Now that they're awake... I hope Game 4 is better. I agree, everyone knew the Ducks would come out hard. I just thought it wouldn't take 3 goals to have the Oilers realize Cam can't do it all.
    Onward and upward

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    You either don't watch hockey or are oblivious to statistics.

They were going to do exactly what we saw tonight. Everyone knew that.
    You mean fold like a deck of cards? The Ducks were one punch away from disappearing in this series when Connor tied it 3-3. I have zero respect for an opponent team that have been perennial playoff disappointments to give up a 3 goal lead in a game in which they had to have and in which the Oilers played poorly. The Oilers were junk and the score was still 3-3.

What I saw tonight, and continue to see, is a vulnerable Ducks squad, and an Oilers squad who are much more dangerous and are more than the Ducks can handle.

Yeah, they needed to come out hard and they did. The Oilers were still playing like they did in Game 2. By the time they woke up, they spot the Ducks 3 goals. Now that they're awake... I hope Game 4 is better. I agree, everyone knew the Ducks would come out hard. I just thought it wouldn't take 3 goals to have the Oilers realize Cam can't do it all.
    This I agree with but this is a still stubborn squad that would prefer lazy habits to creep in rather than consistency. The postgame comments by some players that the Oilers played well enough in the 3rd in Anaheim is different than what I saw. I would have liked to have thought that the Oilers, having stolen one in Anaheim, would play an honest effort game in Edmonton. Not take two games off in a row. This is now 4 games in two rounds that the Oilers have played poorly in.

Cam looked tired, which is completely understandable.
    Last edited by Replacement; 01-05-2017 at 12:50 AM.

Most of the talk on the internet and on both sides of the border is Brett Kissel's audio issues resulting in all of Rogers Place singing the American anthem.
    We have the best fans!
    Omg we really do..#soproud

I had a great feeling about this game when the Oil scored their first goal, but after tying it up and not being able to score on at least ten grade A chances in the second even with controlling the puck in their end for two and a half minutes, I figured their goalie was gonna steal it and he did. Then again, a few of their goals were results of turnovers so it was a combination of sloppy play by the Oilers, the Ducks taking advantage of their opportunities, the Oil not taking advantage of theirs, a hot goalie in their net and some lucky breaks for the Ducks too.

Agree about the Eberle comment. He's contributing nothing.

Cool

I have zero respect for an opponent team that have been perennial playoff disappointments
    So not a Washington Capitals fan?
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post
    I have zero respect for an opponent team that have been perennial playoff disappointments
    So not a Washington Capitals fan?
    I actually like them, due to betting against them, perennially.

For me the Caps and the Blues have been a usual playoff failure godsend. Senators as well.

Theres so little in the world these days you can depend on to stay the same. heh

McJesus is a finalist for the Hart Trophy along with Sidney Crosby and Sergei Bobrovsky. #NHL
    http://www.tsn.ca/1.739998

Even Breitbart reports on last night's anthems:

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2017/...ers-mic-fails/

Actually some reasonable resale tickets available for tomorrow. $250/seat. I thought they'd be going up in price.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    Actually some reasonable resale tickets available for tomorrow. $250/seat. I thought they'd be going up in price.
    Sounds like a lot of STH can't afford to go to every game (according to hfboards STH thread), so they try to sell one of two tickets in a round. That, along with less demand as the playoffs go on due to people not being able to afford more than one playoff game, is driving down prices. I suspect late in round games of six or seven or the finals will drive prices back up, but until then, prices will be stable. Cheapest I saw in round 1 was $400, so $250 is a relative bargain.

Just like the team rebound after the 7-0 loss to San Jose, I expect this to be a close one (maybe even overtime). How much would we love to see the Oilers go up 3-1 in the series tonight?

^ I hope the Oilers actually play better in this team rebound. Some of the after the fact analysis has it that the Oilers were in control after the 7-0 loss. The actuality is the Oilers were down 3-1 in game 5 and required a Silly Burns penalty to make it 3-2, then a laser out of this world shot from Klef to tie it with only 2mins left, and then a Gretzky like vision pass from Draisaitl spotting Desharnais coming in as trailer when nobody else in the rink, or even watching on TV, would have spotted Desharnais. That was a phenomenal bit of vision from Draisaitl. All of those were required for the Oilers to eke out a W in that game which they could have lost. Which they were very close to losing.

Somewhat disappointing to me is the coaching staff told the players to rebound after game 2. Every player and coach said that the Oilers play sucked in game 2. They go on to play worse in game 3. That's a bit frustrating.

Looking forward to tonight. Go Oilers!!!!!!!!!!!

Eberle is benched. He is the reason the Ducks are back in the game. Looks completely lost and disinterested out there.

One period to go, one goal will tie it up. Come on, Oilers!

Watching Eberle pass the puck directly to a Duck resulting in their first goal gave me a sick feeling. Hoping for a better third period.

Yup, Eberle gave away the puck twice on that shift - both times because he didn't want to get hit. The Oilers were in full control until that point.

The horsecrap officiating hasn't helped either. Goalie interference on the 1st Ducks goal, and 2nd Ducks goal should have been whistled offside.

The horsecrap officiating hasn't helped either. Goalie interference on the 1st Ducks goal, and 2nd Ducks goal should have been whistled offside.

Absolutely!! The ref suddenly put glasses on? ****** me off!

The NHL must love having half their intermissions being dedicated entirely to poor calls and questionable challenges.

...and we're going to overtime!

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Now they're talking the last goal could have been icing. Still, the Oilers are playing sloppy hockey.
    Onward and upward

They aren't at their best. I hope they win Friday! I'm not sure about home ice advantage...

Now they're talking the last goal could have been icing. Still, the Oilers are playing sloppy hockey.
    Oilers, used to living a charmed life in the playoffs, and getting outplayed, and still winning wanted to try to back into a win again today. I don't know, its strange. The team had so much jump in first period and it looked like ducks couldn't handle the speed. But then predicably the Oilers follow it up with a bad period and really amazing they didn't give up 4 in the second period. The save by Talbot at the end of the 2nd was remarkable as well as about great saves he made to keep the oilers in the game.

The Oilers were lucky to even go into OT. They've been outplayed 3 in a row now and have been outplayed in 5 of the games in the playoffs. The disappointing thing is all the Oilers had to do is bag one W at home to be in the drivers seat. But they play subpar in both home games and drop both of them.

This part just kind of bugs me. Not sure what fans are thinking sometimes. What was with the Getzlaf chant and jeers and mocking him? The guy was having an allstar night and the kind of game Messier would have in the playoffs. The fans came off like idiots booing and jeering the best player on the ice tonight. Pick your spots. Getzlaf was owning.

Nuge and Eberle need to be gone from this lineup next season. Nuge on ice for 2 bad GA tonight and Eberle responsible for one. But nuge getting picked by Getzlaf right in front of his net on the Ducks Go ahead goal. That can't happen. Talbot already stoned the previous shooter.

#SAD

One more comment. I love you McDavid and Drai but that was the two of you that flew the zone in OT, with Ducks in control and scoring the OT winner. With neither Connor or Leon even in their zone. Both are Centers by trade. C'mon, that can't happen. Pure inexperience, that's not how to play playoff hockey or OT. The Oilers were outmanned in own end, turned puck over, and our two star forwards are watching the play unfold from Center ice. Yikes.

the officiating was horrendous. im so salty right now.
    interference. offside. icing.

not to mention blatant picks by duck players knocking over our forwards and a lovely gibson dive.

Too many times the Oilers have given up the puck by throwing it off the boards in the defensive zone. How many goals has it cost them this series?

Too many times the Oilers have given up the puck by throwing it off the boards in the defensive zone. How many goals has it cost them this series?
    Ducks coaching adjustments have been a bit better than the Oilers. Getzlaf, Perry etal seem to have a clearer idea what to do now. Getzlaf himself has stepped inside an Oilers on board clears to create 3 of the Ducks Goals in the series now and the OT winner tonight. Lucic has position, but just stands there watching Getzlaf get inside and intercept the puck and pass for the winning goal. Lucic was in position to stop that from happening. Its weak that the D are doing these rims but the forwards have to be better.

I turned the tv off in rage when the Ducks scored their third goal, and I'm still ****** off this morning. Such amazing ******** by the refs. So... can we continue to win all the road games in the series?

Ducks coaching adjustments have been a bit better than the Oilers. Getzlaf, Perry etal seem to have a clearer idea what to do now. Getzlaf himself has stepped inside an Oilers on board clears to create 3 of the Ducks Goals in the series now and the OT winner tonight. Lucic has position, but just stands there watching Getzlaf get inside and intercept the puck and pass for the winning goal. Lucic was in position to stop that from happening. Its weak that the D are doing these rims but the forwards have to be better.
    I'm thinking more of the wingers screwing these plays up mores than the defensemen.

Slepyshev certainly was a positive part of the game. I thought Desharnais played pretty well too.

Lucic needs to stop trying to carry the puck in to the zone. He's useless. Just stick to the front of the net and the corners.

Still have a soft spot for Cogliano. The guy is still super fast, and he seems to be a real clean player.

not to mention blatant picks by duck players knocking over our forwards and a lovely gibson dive.
    At this point the Oilers need to just start leveling the Ducks that set those blatant picks. Don't want to get hit? Don't be in the way.

At the moment people seem to be looking at it as officiating bias. The reality is its the differential playoff threshold where some stuff, of lower magnitude infractions, do not et called. Frankly with the offside sort of stuff I wish the NHL would revert back to just having real time calls on that. None of this CIS offside investigation. The play(s) in question were so close as to be something that should be allowed. If they called offsides this closely in football you'd never get a play off. Finally, why is the rule the behind dragging skate has to be on ice or not. It should be the position of the skate on the line that matters, not up or down which is harder to discern. Its illogical to have that rule defined that way if the cameras are most taken from above.

In anycase the team that played better last night won. The Oilers were great in the first period and then their play really dropped off. They did not deserve the win imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post

At this point the Oilers need to just start leveling the Ducks that set those blatant picks. Don't want to get hit? Don't be in the way.
    It would result in more infractions and penalties and Lucic going to the box. This is the questionably aspect of Lucic. Taking bad penalties and lacking discipline. He has too much even it up immediately in his game. That's exactly the type of retribution the Refs look for. Its far more intelligent to be sneaky about it like Perry or Getzlaf who get a dig in when its not expected and nobody looking. I'm not defending it, I'm just saying it results in more or less penalties depending on how you do it. With Lucic its obvious to almost everybody in the rink when he's going to take a penalty and he's not sly or careful about it.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    Slepyshev certainly was a positive part of the game. I thought Desharnais played pretty well too.

Lucic needs to stop trying to carry the puck in to the zone. He's useless. Just stick to the front of the net and the corners.

Still have a soft spot for Cogliano. The guy is still super fast, and he seems to be a real clean player.
    Its nice to see some appreciation of this. I thought Cogs had a very good game. His speed is still a factor, he's glue on everything and hard to play against as he's stronger than one would think for his size. As I recall he's just nothing but muscle. There was a play in the 2nd period where he was battling for a loose puck with Nuge and bounced RNH right off the puck, I think it was on a pk. Cogs has developed into a very reliable, utility type player that can do a little of everything. A guy like this makes often quiet contributions but really helps teams win games.

It would result in more infractions and penalties and Lucic going to the box. This is the questionably aspect of Lucic. Taking bad penalties and lacking discipline. He has too much even it up immediately in his game. That's exactly the type of retribution the Refs look for. Its far more intelligent to be sneaky about it like Perry or Getzlaf who get a dig in when its not expected and nobody looking. I'm not defending it, I'm just saying it results in more or less penalties depending on how you do it. With Lucic its obvious to almost everybody in the rink when he's going to take a penalty and he's not sly or careful about it.
    Throwing a hit on a defender who is setting a pick (see: Interference) would also draw attention to the defender's infraction at least. At this stage it appears that the refs are willingly ignoring them.

Throwing a hit on a defender who is setting a pick (see: Interference) would also draw attention to the defender's infraction at least. At this stage it appears that the refs are willingly ignoring them.
    Yeah, but it would not change much. That's one of many areas where NHL still calls the game differently in playoffs. But it works both ways. In round one Connor delivered a solid open ice check to a player that wasn't anywhere near the puck. That's patently interference and it wasn't called. Even as something as obvious as a thunderous hit was not called. So both teams benefit, its part of the trickery at work in playoffs and vet clubs do benefit more as they know the rules within the rules. I'm not defending it though, NHL has strange officiating rules and application.

Yeah, but it would not change much. That's one of many areas where NHL still calls the game differently in playoffs. But it works both ways. In round one Connor delivered a solid open ice check to a player that wasn't anywhere near the puck. That's patently interference and it wasn't called. Even as something as obvious as a thunderous hit was not called. So both teams benefit, its part of the trickery at work in playoffs and vet clubs do benefit more as they know the rules within the rules. I'm not defending it though, NHL has strange officiating rules and application.
    I stopped reading when you said that McDavid's hit was interference. Sorenson literally had just passed the puck forward less than 2 seconds before being hit. That was definitely not interference, although the one camera angle/clip doesn't show the pass and makes it look much worse than it actually was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj1Uh-ddvXM

Check it out. He has the puck on his stick, then passes it on his backhand maybe 1 second before McDavid levels him.

Oh, thanks Alex, nice find on that replay. It isn't until the 3rd camera view that one really see's Sorenson passing the puck. I made the mistake of going from what the commentator stated and the original angles. You are right, Connor should not have got a penalty for that. I stand corrected.

Just a question on NBC feeds. I keep hearing NBC is showing some of the playoff games, but I'm on Shaw and I haven't seen one NHL game on the NBC affiliates this playoffs. Normally I would see them. I checked Multiple NBC feeds that Shaw offers to the Edmonton market but haven't seen any coverage. I prefer watching different coverage once in awhile and NBC often has good commentating. Would also be interesting to see their perspectives on Oilers, Edmonton, Arena etc.

Funny you should mention that Repo.

Top_Dawg caught a few NBC telecasts during the first round.

Very impressive.

They have really upped their game.

In fact, a couple of times when Top_Dawg was at O2's they had the same game televised on monitors side by side. One as an NBC feed and one as a Sportsnet.

NBC is way better.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Sportsnet continues to be amateur hour compared to TSN, both in terms of their on-air talent/commentators and in technical aspects. There are frequently times when there's dead air, blank picture, botched hand-offs between different crews/desks and so on. Sportsnet is very noticeably worse at that sort of thing than TSN is. I seem to recall that the very first game of this season that Sportsnet dropped a minute or two of it early in the game (and there's been shorter black outs during playoff games this spring). Sportsnet was terrible before, and even the bit of talent they've absorbed from HNIC (mostly MacLean, Friedman and Oake) isn't doing them much good because the others are so terrible (Kypreos, Hrudey, Cole).

That being said, I often find the NBC commentators tend to dumb the game down a bit for the American audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    That being said, I often find the NBC commentators tend to dumb the game down a bit for the American audience.
    Yeah, Top_Dawg hears ya. Sometimes they do.

But everything about their telecast is way more pro than what we get from Canadian networks.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Sportsnet was terrible before, and even the bit of talent they've absorbed from HNIC (mostly MacLean, Friedman and Oake) isn't doing them much good because the others are so terrible (Kypreos, Hrudey, Cole).

Not a fan of Cole ?

What's the matter with you.

Nor Kypreos ?

The career fourth liner who struggled to score five points per season ?

But now knows what every player in the league should be doing ?

He's an icon.

SportsNet carries the NBC feed weekdays, and NBC has their own feed weekends. I like the games that Doc Emrick calls but they aren't as frequent now that he has cancer. The other NBC team is about average.

It took me from the last major lockout to this year to get back to enjoying hockey. The officiating throughout the playoffs has been atrocious and I'm at the point now where I am considering going back to not caring about the NHL. That is, until they bring some consistency to their calls (which also means rewriting the ambiguous rule book) and bring some integrity to the game. While I'm an Oilers fan, I'm also a goalie, and the non-call on Talbot last night made me more infuriated as a goalie than it did as a fan. I might expect a non-call in minor hockey or even juniors, but at the professional level, come on.

The officiating in the NHL is anything but professional right now, and that needs to change. I've read messages/opinions from others that feel the same way. There is a lack of integrity right now and it is hurting the game. I mean, if players feel they can win by breaking the rules, and get away with it, they are going to do so. Read any of the commentary on any big name in the NHL and what they get away with, and it is the same thing. The dirty plays would be less rampant if there was any consistency with enforcement. It's the equivalent of speeding by photo radar 100% of the time and only getting a speeding ticket 10% of the time. Must be a nice world to live in.

I came in on the 2nd period in progress and saw Ducks 3rd goal. Although I don't like it I thought the "goal tender interference" decision was the right call. The Sportsnet panel even displayed the rule. Its very clear. From what I saw of the game, Getzlaf, Silfverberg, Gibson were the Anaheim difference makers. We're lucky the series is even tied at this point. By some twist of fate, if we take the next game tomorrow, then maybe this series will go 7 games. If we don't win tomorrow night imo, then this series is all over but the crying. At this point in time I'm calling Anaheim in 6.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    I came in on the 2nd period in progress and saw Ducks 3rd goal. Although I don't like it I thought the "goal tender interference" decision was the right call. The Sportsnet panel even displayed the rule. Its very clear. From what I saw of the game, Getzlaf, Silfverberg, Gibson were the Anaheim difference makers. We're lucky the series is even tied at this point. By some twist of fate, if we take the next game tomorrow, then maybe this series will go 7 games. If we don't win tomorrow night imo, then this series is all over but the crying. At this point in time I'm calling Anaheim in 6.
    The third goal wasn't the goalie interference goal though. It was on the first goal the Ducks scored. The Sportsnet panel basically agreed in consensus that it was goaltender interference and that the on ice call was incorrect.

Excerpt from the current rules:

69.1 Interference on the Goalkeeper - This rule is based on the premise that an attacking player’s position, whether inside or outside the crease, should not, by itself, determine whether a goal should be allowed or disallowed. In other words, goals scored while attacking players are standing in the crease may, in appropriate circumstances be allowed. Goals should be disallowed only if: (1) an attacking player, either by his positioning or by contact, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to move freely within his crease or defend his goal; or (2) an attacking player initiates intentional or deliberate contact with a goalkeeper, inside or outside of his goal crease. Incidental contact with a goalkeeper will be permitted, and resulting goals allowed, when such contact is initiated outside of the goal crease, provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact. The rule will be enforced exclusively in accordance with the on-ice judgement of the Referee(s), but may be subject to a Coach’s Challenge (see Rule 78.7).
    The bold part pretty clearly states that it should have been no goal. If anyone wants to explain how they think it was the right call, though, please do so.

Thankfully Talbot is a pretty calm guy. Imagine if we had Patrick Roy as our goalie or Ron Hextall. Yikes.
    Last edited by Moodib; 04-05-2017 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    SportsNet carries the NBC feed weekdays, and NBC has their own feed weekends. I like the games that Doc Emrick calls but they aren't as frequent now that he has cancer. The other NBC team is about average.
    Sad to hear about that. Emrick is fantastic, irreplaceable. I think he's the best hockey commentator.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Why don't you wait until the series is over then make your call.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

^ LOL
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

I would like to thank the Ducks organization in advance for beating the evil katz . I hear it cheaper for fans to fly to Anaheim for a game ( even with the low loony). Katz a rip off.
    Last edited by champking; 04-05-2017 at 06:24 PM.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    It took me from the last major lockout to this year to get back to enjoying hockey. The officiating throughout the playoffs has been atrocious and I'm at the point now where I am considering going back to not caring about the NHL. That is, until they bring some consistency to their calls (which also means rewriting the ambiguous rule book) and bring some integrity to the game. While I'm an Oilers fan, I'm also a goalie, and the non-call on Talbot last night made me more infuriated as a goalie than it did as a fan. I might expect a non-call in minor hockey or even juniors, but at the professional level, come on.

The officiating in the NHL is anything but professional right now, and that needs to change. I've read messages/opinions from others that feel the same way. There is a lack of integrity right now and it is hurting the game. I mean, if players feel they can win by breaking the rules, and get away with it, they are going to do so. Read any of the commentary on any big name in the NHL and what they get away with, and it is the same thing. The dirty plays would be less rampant if there was any consistency with enforcement. It's the equivalent of speeding by photo radar 100% of the time and only getting a speeding ticket 10% of the time. Must be a nice world to live in.
    ...can I hear an amen? ..a heck yeah?

I'm in the same boat. The lockout killed my desire. I started getting back into hockey this year...but I can completely relate to the issues with Officiating. I did my fair share of wearing the stripes a long time back, and I know the job is not easy at the minor hockey level. I can only imagine it at the majors. But this year...it is making the CFL look like a tight ship!
    Onward and upward

Quote Originally Posted by champking View Post
    I would like to thank the Ducks organization in advance for beating the evil katz . I hear it cheaper for fans to fly to Anaheim for a game ( even with the low loony). Katz a rip off.
    You've done an exceptional job of demonstrating you have absolutely no clue how ticket prices work... and with such a command of the English language. Learning from Trump?

Good job!

champking hates everything Edmonton. I think Edmonton took his dog or first born or something and he's out to slag it and everyone in it at any chance he can, no matter how foolish and brain damaged it makes him appear.
    Last edited by Medwards; 05-05-2017 at 10:08 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast