Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NHL Playoffs Round 2. Oilers v Ducks

I think I'll come back to talk about the hockey game when you guys are finished making your childish personal attacks on others.

awhhh mrsnowflakeoilers

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    It took me from the last major lockout to this year to get back to enjoying hockey. The officiating throughout the playoffs has been atrocious and I'm at the point now where I am considering going back to not caring about the NHL. That is, until they bring some consistency to their calls (which also means rewriting the ambiguous rule book) and bring some integrity to the game. While I'm an Oilers fan, I'm also a goalie, and the non-call on Talbot last night made me more infuriated as a goalie than it did as a fan. I might expect a non-call in minor hockey or even juniors, but at the professional level, come on.

The officiating in the NHL is anything but professional right now, and that needs to change. I've read messages/opinions from others that feel the same way. There is a lack of integrity right now and it is hurting the game. I mean, if players feel they can win by breaking the rules, and get away with it, they are going to do so. Read any of the commentary on any big name in the NHL and what they get away with, and it is the same thing. The dirty plays would be less rampant if there was any consistency with enforcement. It's the equivalent of speeding by photo radar 100% of the time and only getting a speeding ticket 10% of the time. Must be a nice world to live in.
    ...can I hear an amen? ..a heck yeah?

I'm in the same boat. The lockout killed my desire. I started getting back into hockey this year...but I can completely relate to the issues with Officiating. I did my fair share of wearing the stripes a long time back, and I know the job is not easy at the minor hockey level. I can only imagine it at the majors. But this year...it is making the CFL look like a tight ship!
    One of the odd reactions I hadn't anticipated is that the presence of the Oilers in the playoffs this season, rather than increase interest in the overall playoffs has decreased it, so that I'm only watching the Oilers series primarily. Normally I would be less disciplined with my time and throw various games on. The Oilers are in the playoffs, and I'm spending less time watching playoffs. There could be a best before date where you no longer get overly excited about sports. I was a rabid sports fan say age 20-35 and not as much since then.

One interesting thing would be to check if ratings for series not involving Canadian clubs has actually gone down. The year before no Canadian Clubs made it, now that several are in that's probably capturing the Canadian viewing interest. Which makes up a large part of NHL ratings.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I am the opposite. For me if the Oilers aren't playing in the playoffs, there is no playoffs. If the Oilers win this series, I will keep watching and paying attention. But if the Oilers get eliminated this series I will lose all interest. Right now is the most I've paid attention to the NHL playoffs since 2006.

This whole post season has been a huge bonus to me - I wasn't expecting it. If the team can pull a rabbit out of the hat, and knock off Anaheim, it will be fantastic. If they don't, I think its pretty easy to chalk it up to learning / experience - when you look at players like Getzlaf and Perry, they are at a very different point in their career than our players (interestingly they had horrible regular season - just saving their energy for now).

I think we win tonight, but lets see.

This season has been an enormous success. At the start of this year, people weren't really expecting the Oilers to make the playoffs, but we were really hoping they would.

If someone predicted at the start of the year that the Oilers would be in a second round playoff series tied 2-2 with Anaheim, we would all have called them insane.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Its going to be hard to focus on work tonight, what with the nice weather and the Oilers game my 4 hour shift will be slow. We're off and out the door at 8:30 tonight. I'll be able to access Open City wi-fi on my iPod at Southgate to get any first period updates (if there is any) hopefully I'll be able to catch most of the 2nd period when I get home. Orange Crush. My new soft drink for the season!
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Wasn't champking on this forum a while back under a different name?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I'm nervous.....

I can't believe they dressed Eberle. There is no where to hide this guy.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

They've played so well without him.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I'm more worried about the defense right now with Benning, Sekera and Klefbom getting hurt at various times in one period.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I swear they play better on this horrible ice. Maybe it's better for the goalies ( shrug)

3-0 Oilers at the 2nd intermission.

This series, man...

You've got to be kidding me!

3-3 going into second overtime. Someone explain to me why that third goal on the Oilers wasn't considered goalie interference (Even though a duck was holding Talbot's right pad). Like, I thought the refs were bad at Wednesday's game, but this is just ridiculous
    "Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." - Dalai Lama

I don't even know what goaltender interference is anymore. Every call is so unpredictable that I doubt the NHL really knows their own rule anymore.

Deleted.
    Last edited by H.L.; 06-05-2017 at 12:38 AM.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    I don't even know what goaltender interference is anymore. Every call is so unpredictable that I doubt the NHL really knows their own rule anymore.
    Amen
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

We lost.

Those ducks know how to play possum waiting till the oilers slack off thinking they've won then they pounce. FFS, p i s s me off.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 06-05-2017 at 12:50 AM.

Looks like we need a few more pieces of the puzzle.

Or maybe a new arena :P

Well the Ducks are a deeper team than the Oilers at every position.

However, I would love to see an NHL game without controversy for questionable officiating.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

It should be pretty easy to see who the players you protect are.

That was atrocious. Questionable third goal aside, how we managed to turtle with 3 minutes left was impressive.

Yeah that was an iffy call on the 3rd Ducks goal but that's also on Letestu for not getting the puck out of the zone. Overall the Oilers shouldn't have blown that 3-0 lead in just the last 3 minutes of regulation. They seemed to be so afraid of icing calls that they weren't getting the puck out aggressively enough. If I was McLellan I probably would have called a timeout after the 2nd Ducks goal to calm the troops down.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

The only thing I hope at this point is for the league to suspend nick ritchie for the boarding on Russell...

Similar empty fling in 82 when they lost to LA after having a third period 5-0 lead. The following year they went to the final and the year after they won the cup.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E Continued Contributor

Holy xxxx.
    Last time I turn the tv off too early.
    Me thinks oilers are done for the year. please prove me wrong...
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

What a surprise, the refs get another one wrong. The officiating has been absolutely dreadful in this series, what should have been a 4-1 series win by us is now a 3-2 series lead by the Ducks. This was blatant goalie interference, Kesler was holding Talbot's pad which wouldn't allow him to close his legs, how the refs miss this one after game fours botched calls in unacceptable.

The league needs to change the way they process challenges, the officials on the ice should NOT be reviewing it. People by nature are going to agree with themselves on the original call, reversing a call would mean they​ made a mistake in the first place. An official from the war room should be making the call using all their feeds on something bigger than a tablet to ensure the challenge isn't bias against the initial ruling.
    Last edited by Hilman; 06-05-2017 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    That was atrocious. Questionable third goal aside, how we managed to turtle with 3 minutes left was impressive.
    A team that gave up 64 shots, and 44 in regulation time, was basically turtling all the time. The Oilers again gave up 22 shots just in the 3rd and another 20 in OT. This team has overestimated its ability to defend which has been unmasked at different times in the playoffs. Without Talbot being constantly amazing the GA would be considerably worse. Not even Talbot could save them this time.

But if one player on the Oilers figures they deserved this game they haven't learned a thing. The Oilers have been outplayed (badly) in 4/5 of the games. They've given up tons of quality chances in the dying moments of those games. But until now Talbot had been able to obscure that tendency. A tendency that started in the Sharks series where the Oilers had felt that they were defending the lead well. This fold was not in isolation, just that this one really bit us. Its like the team didn't pay attention or acknowledge the ice being tilted in almost all other endgames in the playoffs.

I have to say this as well. Lucic is not being a very good player. This is not the player people expected (not me) he would become in the playoffs. Instead stupid decisions, questionable D play, not making reads, and taking poor penalties. To top it off his conditioning or physical capacity gets diminished and he was basically dead in the OT. He got pummeled with hits 3 times in extra time and was too tired to even respond. The Oilers had zero shots in 2OT. The Ducks were just owning.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Larsson has been a very good D for this team. Unfortunately the last couple games a lot of criticism from fans. Basically by my eye what has occurred is he's hit a wall. Getting hit into the boards a ton of times to make plays, battling for loose pucks, doing a lot of heavy lifting has left him pretty much done. He played a record amount of minutes last night for any D in the playoffs. A record amount in regulation time. We have to lean on him, and its been too much. All of Russell, Sekera, Klef also effected but not to the same degree. Opponents recognize that Larsson is the timber that everything is built around. Next to Talbot he's been our stalwart savior. He gets no criticism from me, he's been incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post

What a surprise, the refs get another one wrong. The officiating has been absolutely dreadful in this series, what should have been a 4-1 series win by us is now a 3-2 series lead by the Ducks. This was blatant goalie interference, Kesler was holding Talbot's pad which wouldn't allow him to close his legs, how the refs miss this one after game fours botched calls in unacceptable.

The league needs to change the way they process challenges, the officials on the ice should NOT be reviewing it. People by nature are going to agree with themselves on the original call, reversing a call would mean they​ made a mistake in the first place. An official from the war room should be making the call using all their feeds on something bigger than a tablet to ensure the challenge isn't bias against the initial ruling.
    Decisions not withstanding the Oilers are guilty of being in positions that allow calls to impact results and the same while being vastly outplayed in those games. Fact of the matter is if you can't hold a 3 goal lead with 3 minutes left theres a lot more than the officiating to blame. The Oilers attention to defensive detail has completely fell apart. In the previous OT two Oiler forwards had flown the zone while their team is getting hemmed in and scored against finding a wide open trigger man. Because the Oilers were outnumbered in their own zone, in OT, in the playoffs.

The real story is that these are the lessons of 1982 repeated. A team not yet fully committed to defending getting its lessons. They'll recover, maybe not this season.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Hold the bus Sherlock. It wasn't a matter of holding onto the last 3 minutes or so of the game. Anaheim pulled their goaltender 3 times, which is why all scoring chances came from the outside. Second,if you fast forward that shot above of yours, Kessler was pulling at Talbot's pad. Most posters here are saying, that's the issue.

The fact that there is nobody in the Toronto situation room that is a past on ice official, add that this is the 2nd goal tender interference 2 games etc etc. hate to do this to you Replacement, but in this I got to call your number here. X

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Cam Talbot made 60 saves last night. We were the better team.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    ^ Hold the bus Sherlock. It wasn't a matter of holding onto the last 3 minutes or so of the game. Anaheim pulled their goaltender 3 times, which is why all scoring chances came from the outside. Second,if you fast forward that shot above of yours, Kessler was pulling at Talbot's pad. Most posters here are saying, that's the issue.

The fact that there is nobody in the Toronto situation room that is a past on ice official, add that this is the 2nd goal tender interference 2 games etc etc. hate to do this to you Replacement, but in this I got to call your number here. X
    The difference in opinion is that the Oilers, on the basis of play, did not deserve to win this game. They were badly outplayed the majority of the game. It only bit them with the game on the line. To give up 44shots in a game in the playoffs during regulation time is disgusting. Its been habit formed for the Oilers who expect Talbot to save their bacon time and time again. The Oilers were fortunate to even have a lead at any time in this game and despite being badly outplayed in the 1st, 3rd, and OT periods.

We can look at the tying goal or question the circumstance that led to the tying goal and with the Oilers just reeling throughout the 3rd period. I was amazed at the quality of chances the Oilers were giving up in last 10mins which only got worse as the secs ticked down.

if the Oilers team and players narrative is that the officials beat them they won't learn as much. They allowed the games to be in situations where officiating was able to influence the outcome. Note that I'm not saying it didn't, just that its a shame the Oilers didn't play well enough to have more of a margin of error. Albeit it turns out 3 goals isn't enough.

I'm just not going to get angry or waste emotion over this. NHL officiating sucks. This isn't news.
    Last edited by Replacement; 06-05-2017 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Cam Talbot made 60 saves last night. We were the better team.
    I don't follow this or how you think a team outshot 64-38, and outchanced by a wide margin were the better team. I mean they have the better goalie, which is patently clear, but if goalies were reversed Ducks would win this game in a blowout. I don't know if people are acknowledging exactly how huge the goaltending disparity is. Gibson is an adventure and often costs the Ducks. He knocks a puck in his own net almost every game and has looked unsure throughout. He's fighting almost every save last night and giving up rebounds. For nearly 3 periods last night Talbot is just owning hockey, but the team in front of him wasn't all that good.

What we've seen in the last few games particularly from the Oilers is a team that plays one period of a game well and expects to Win. That's not a formula for success, its a conceit.

The reality is this Oilers squad had an enormous bit of fortune in leading the series 2-0 and sweeping Ducks at home until last night. But they've ****** that away and lost 3 games in a row being outplayed badly in all of them. They should look in the mirror first. Complaining about results reinforces losing. Its the opposite of taking responsibility. jmo
    Last edited by Replacement; 06-05-2017 at 07:40 AM.

Maroon should not have been on the ice in the last three minutes. Holy crap he has been playing terribly as of late. He can join Eberle un the unprotected list.

what a surprise the Ducks had a lot of shots (from anywhere) when they were behind.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Maroon should not have been on the ice in the last three minutes. Holy crap he has been playing terribly as of late. He can join Eberle un the unprotected list.

what a surprise the Ducks had a lot of shots (from anywhere) when they were behind.
    The ducks have outplayed and badly outshot the Oilers in 4/5 of the games. The Ducks outshot the Oilers all night last night and well before the Oilers stake a 3-0 lead. This has very little to do with score effects. Feel free to substantiate your point. The ducks have now had multiple 20 shot periods in the series. That's not score effects. Ducks had twice as many shots as the Oilers when the Oilers went up 1-0. The 3-0 nothing lead was all about goaltending disparity, nothing else. The Oilers didn't deserve that lead on basis of play, and ****** it away.

Your position on Maroon is just as vague. He's been a horse but he's clearly playing injured. If you note he's avoiding physical contact for the most part. Very clearly has something wrong with him. Lucic, getting high pay, would be a bigger question on what he's delivered. Lucic's EV play has been substandard all season. He's basically only getting results on PP. This has been a kind of Lucic lite season. He's also looking extremely slow and plodding out there.

A lot of talk about the Ducks Kesler goal that shouldn't have counted but the Refs also immediately waved off a Ducks highsticking goal. I can't say from angles I've seen that it is high or not. The assessment is supposed to be made where the blade touches the puck. Having watched the NHL a lot it seems like more calls emanate from players that start with their stick high, and then bring it down to whack puck. Had the player just had the stick at that level I don't know that it would have been waved off.

In anycase hard to make a theory whereupon the Oilers are being screwed over in a game where the Oilers had a bogus 5 on 3 (goal) and Ducks had one waved off. Both teams can complain about officiating.
    Last edited by Replacement; 06-05-2017 at 09:07 AM.

When inconsistent officiating is the story of the game, the league has problems.

I also think the NHL needs to eliminate video reviews - they just make the NHL look even more incompetent.

^If an Oiler had been pushed into goalie and had then laid there for seconds holding his pad, we all know which way the penalty would have gone. The Lucic penalty shot call was horrendous as well. Canadian teams aren't allowed to win the cup, its as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    When inconsistent officiating is the story of the game, the league has problems.

I also think the NHL needs to eliminate video reviews - they just make the NHL look even more incompetent.
    Agreed on all counts. Add NHL AND CFL to that.

These are cases of unintended effects. Its when you know that the people in charge are not all that bright.

The offside challenges are the worst. if a play was so close that it wasn't detected in realtime then the play is on as far as I'm concerned. its ridiculous to retroactively go back and look at situation often times in excess of a minute looking for the offside by a hair or fraction of an inch. As soon as any league starts rewriting their rule book and having this added level of video review its adding ways in which mistakes are made.

When you have a war room that puts out a statement on kesler being pushed into Talbot by Nurse, instead of the challenge of why Kesler was holding onto Talbots pad it conveys a league that most fans could find wanting. In sum that its harder to trust a league that offers that kind of rationale that doesn't answer the main question in the first place. Sneaky Kesler got away with another one. Playing in a league with a lot of blind mice. But that's what you learn as a team from playoff hockey. you learn how to cheat for edges whether that be faceoffs or anywhere else. the league reinforces cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^If an Oiler had been pushed into goalie and had then laid there for seconds holding his pad, we all know which way the penalty would have gone. The Lucic penalty shot call was horrendous as well. Canadian teams aren't allowed to win the cup, its as simple as that.
    oh jebus. give it up.

A theory that a league would intentionally prevent Canadian Clubs from winning the cup when it gets a disproportionate amount of revenue from Canadian Clubs is just whacked. Explain why a league would have any such objective?

There could be no fiscal argument to continuance of playoffs in Anaheim vs Edmonton. Obvious where revenue side is if results were rigged.
    Last edited by Replacement; 06-05-2017 at 09:34 AM.

The offside challenge is something that wasn't well thought out. They should just get rid of it and go with what the linesmen rule at the time. It is effectively creating an uneven playing field. If a team goes offside when it hasn't been ruled offside they essentially are playing for a time when they can't score a goal. Imagine gaining the zone at the beginning of a power play, playing in the offensive zone for close to two minutes and scoring at the end of it. Play gets challenged and goal is called off. The team defending can't lose.

The officiating was all everyone was talking about. The blatant goalie interference, bloody awful. Very very frustrating.

We know the league is promoting the game in the us at any cost. Look at Ariz., they did anything and everything to keep the money losing team there no matter the cost. Some teams such as Carolina or Florida have averaged 12,000 a game and try any methods to sell tickets or have giveaways etc. I've heard of $25 tickets coming with a free hot dog and pop card. Places that only have ice in drinks but have NHL franchises. Meanwhile genuine hockey cities do without teams. Hamilton, Quebec and Saskatchewan have NHL ready arenas but the new franchise goes to the desert. So when you see officiating that leans in one direction it may cause people to wonder. The NHL would likely rather see the cup in a Nashville or Pittsburgh or California than some northern city in Canada that Americans have never heard of. If they'd go as far as officiating it their way is doubtful, but after talbot being held by his pad and no call it made me wonder. It's playoffs tho and anything goes. You can never let up. If you do you will be in NextYear Country.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 06-05-2017 at 10:20 AM.

At this point it is what it is. The ducks ate them for lunch over the last three games.
    Crying about penalties won't erase the fact that they lost last night.
    The odds of the oilers winning two consecutive games against the ducks are slim.
    It was a fun playoff season.
    Last edited by Bill; 06-05-2017 at 11:18 AM.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

There's still a lot of controversy about the officiating, but it cuts both ways. Many are forgetting the earlier Ducks goal that was called off due to a high-stick. I thought it was questionable enough that I was so sure the goal was going to stand but they waved it off.

The penalty shot call was also quite interesting to say the least

i woulda given a 5 minute for the hit on russell

It's arguable that with only different officials working the last 2 games and judging the same goals, the Oilers would have won the series already.

That's a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    oh jebus. give it up.

A theory that a league would intentionally prevent Canadian Clubs from winning the cup when it gets a disproportionate amount of revenue from Canadian Clubs is just whacked. Explain why a league would have any such objective?

There could be no fiscal argument to continuance of playoffs in Anaheim vs Edmonton. Obvious where revenue side is if results were rigged.

The league is going to get that Canadian money now matter what. They need some of these US teams to have success to get their money.

Time to get behind these boys and rally!
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    There's still a lot of controversy about the officiating, but it cuts both ways. Many are forgetting the earlier Ducks goal that was called off due to a high-stick. I thought it was questionable enough that I was so sure the goal was going to stand but they waved it off.
    I understand that. But when I hear goalies calling interference, I'll defer to what they have to say. I feel sorry for the oilers right now. Hextall wouldn't take what Talbot has had to put up with!

If there are no US teams playing, the TV income goes down the drain.

The Ducks are a team that knows how to win; the Oilers are a team (and organization) learning how to win. On a sheer entertainment give-a-damn level the Oilers have exceeded what anyone expected at the beginning of the season.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    The Ducks are a team that knows how to win; the Oilers are a team (and organization) learning how to win. On a sheer entertainment give-a-damn level the Oilers have exceeded what anyone expected at the beginning of the season.
    I agree.

Just because the Ducks outplayed us doesn't mean a blatant goalie interference call should be ignored. To be clear, I'm definitely not defending their **** poor performance but the fact is that the refs blew a call and that's what cost us the loss. Sure we played poorly but if the refs had made the right call we would've won. It would've been a sloppy win but a win nonetheless. Like I said, just because the Oilers played poorly doesn't mean the refs should be allowed to miss important calls like that. Anybody who says differently is not using logic.

Actually the Oilers were playing a decent game until they blew the 3-0 lead in the last 3 minutes. They were limiting the Ducks chances up and winning faceoffs until they pulled the goalie and then it all fell apart. A one-man disadvantage that played so well and kept bodies away from Talbot failed to do so in those final minutes.

So interference call or not, the Oilers should not have put themselves in that position in the first place.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 06-05-2017 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mla View Post
    Just because the Ducks outplayed us doesn't mean a blatant goalie interference call should be ignored. To be clear, I'm definitely not defending their **** poor performance but the fact is that the refs blew a call and that's what cost us the loss. Sure we played poorly but if the refs had made the right call we would've won. It would've been a sloppy win but a win nonetheless. Like I said, just because the Oilers played poorly doesn't mean the refs should be allowed to miss important calls like that. Anybody who says differently is not using logic.
    You are correct. Anything else is just an excuse to write a novel.

Ducks had another goal called back in the same game. A goal that as mentioned could easily have counted. Meaning the Ducks got a bogus goal, another called back, and so still 3 goals and the OT winner.

If revisiting events of a game I think its fair to revisit everything that occurred in that game. Including a bogus Oilers 5 on 3 on weak calls and that resulted in a goal.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Bull ---- ! The Ducks cheated. Kessler was pulling Talbot's 5-hole apart. That was clearly shown on camera. Anaheim could only win that game to tie it up by pulling Gibson 3 times. The Oilers were the better team. Anaheim had the game handed to them. Gary you have some splaining to do.

Ducks had another goal called back in the same game. A goal that as mentioned could easily have counted. Meaning the Ducks got a bogus goal, another called back, and so still 3 goals and the OT winner.

If revisiting events of a game I think its fair to revisit everything that occurred in that game. Including a bogus Oilers 5 on 3 on weak calls and that resulted in a goal.
    if that weak penalty shot wasn't called, it would have been an entirely different game.

if that weak penalty shot wasn't called, it would have been an entirely different game.
    ? The ducks didn't score on that. How did that impact the game? Not sure about your response though as my take is the Oilers lost, they've lost 3 in a row, and have been badly outplayed in all of those games. Its time for them to suck it up and give the best account of themselves.

Terry Jones for once just blasting the 2nd line pointing out that the line itself hasn't scored a single goal while together in the entire playoffs. Nuge and Eberle pissing goose eggs and Lucic's 2 pots are on PP. Not enough from our 18M buck line all of whom have been disappointing. We'd be winning easy if that line was going.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/05/0...-won-by-oilers

"Of course, to win those little battles and little races you need all the racers to be battling. Remarkably the Oilers got to Game 11 of their first time in the playoffs after 11 years without the 666 Line of Ryan-Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle and Milan Lucic firing. The three $6-million players have been mostly missing in action."

It's the bad karma Daryl katz bring to the team .

Considering the bogus penalty that resulted in Geztlaf being awarded a penalty shot I don't see how you consider the 5 on 3 power play bogus. The Ducks disallowed goal was clearly a high stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    At this point it is what it is. The ducks ate them for lunch over the last three games.
    Its easy to eat a team for lunch when you lie on the goalie, hold their pad so they can't move, then score a goal. The exact same thing, officiating BS, happened to the Flames - its because the NHL wants American teams in the finals (for ratings, "growth of the game").

Quote Originally Posted by champking View Post
    It's the bad karma Daryl katz bring to the team .
    You need to pull your head out of you know where!

Considering the bogus penalty that resulted in Geztlaf being awarded a penalty shot I don't see how you consider the 5 on 3 power play bogus. The Ducks disallowed goal was clearly a high stick.
    I consider a long 5 on 3 advantage a much more lethal advantage than a penalty shot. Giving Connor McDavid and Draisaitl a 5 on 3 is akin to giving them a goal.

http://behindthenet.ca/blog/uploaded...3v4-757492.JPG

Conversely shoot out goals happen roughly 30% of the time.

Keep in mind that the Oilers were awarded a 5 on 3 that was 90secs in duration. The probability of success in that is around 55%. Therefore the reinforcing of players milking penalties

Also that the probability of scoring a goal was much greater with the 2nd penalty awarded to Cam Fowler, the ducks best D, than for the actual ensuing hockey play. . So that not only did the Oilers get this gifted 5 on 3 the best Ducks D was removed from the pk. There are no stats for when a club is two men short playing without their best defender for 90 seconds but the score chance would be pretty high.
    Last edited by Replacement; 07-05-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Its easy to eat a team for lunch when you lie on the goalie, hold their pad so they can't move, then score a goal. The exact same thing, officiating BS, happened to the Flames - its because the NHL wants American teams in the finals (for ratings, "growth of the game").
    So once again please explain how its better for the NHL to have the Ducks advance to the next round than the Oilers. The Oilers would yield several times the revenue than the Ducks would and Anaheim would not get any appreciable difference in support through going deep.

Should I add that the NHL is currently on a CBA that allowed small market clubs, like Ottawa, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, to be in the league?

If your going to make a ludicrous claim like the NHL is fixed and cheating for US teams maybe try to substantiate your absurd theory in some way.

lmao at Citing the flames choke job as supporting evidence. Rather I would deduce that to mean players like Johnny hockey suck at playoff hockey about as much as Eberle. Playoffs is a different game and some players excel at it while others can't get going.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

There have been many occasions where Canadian teams have been in the finales but the outcome like pro wrestling is pre determined. Its going to be interesting to see how fans react to not only a loser team like Anaheim but to the on ice officials. As for tonight's game "Keep it classy Edmonton,"

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

So once again please explain how its better for the NHL to have the Ducks advance to the next round than the Oilers. The Oilers would yield several times the revenue than the Ducks would and Anaheim would not get any appreciable difference in support through going deep.

Should I add that the NHL is currently on a CBA that allowed small market clubs, like Ottawa, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, to be in the league?

If your going to make a ludicrous claim like the NHL is fixed and cheating for US teams maybe try to substantiate your absurd theory in some way.

lmao at Citing the flames choke job as supporting evidence. Rather I would deduce that to mean players like Johnny hockey suck at playoff hockey about as much as Eberle. Playoffs is a different game and some players excel at it while others can't get going.
    Replacement: With all due respect, the Situation room was feeding the on ice officials iPads only what they (Toronto) wanted them to see: The hand on Talbot's pad. That's all they (on ice officials) had to work with. The on ice officials answer to the Situation room. Even the hnic panel were even showing Kessler tampering with Talbot's pad to open the 5 hole.

? The ducks didn't score on that. How did that impact the game? Not sure about your response though as my take is the Oilers lost, they've lost 3 in a row, and have been badly outplayed in all of those games. Its time for them to suck it up and give the best account of themselves.
    Well if that play was a non-call or even a powerplay, the whole game is different. Butterfly effect. Oilers could have turned around to score on that play or Ducks could have had a powerplay and scored. Completely different game could have occurred on that Getzlaf break. I still don't know the call on that play. interference? holding?

I'm not really defending the Oilers. I just believe the officiating has been very inconsistent. Weak calls, missed calls.

I'd be very content seeing the Oilers lose if the referees did not influence the game so much. I can agree Ducks have widely outplayed the Oilers in the series, while Oilers have had the odd period where they've dominated; but that's what a good goalie (Talbot) does...gives your team a chance. Not much different than a lot of teams really...Price, Rinne...

But in between all that, there have been some head-scratching calls that have gone against us. There's only so much that good goaltending can do when your team in front is collpasing and spends 70% of the game without possession and on top the Refs are making weak calls.

Regarding the third Oilers goal. Perry and whoever he was tussling with, both had their arms up in each others' faces. I can sure bet you that Perry did a dive on that play. And coming into the playoffs, I felt a team's playoff experience didn't matter much. But one thing is apparent, you know what to do to draw penalties. Ducks have been embellishing pretty frequently.

^Very fair post and thank you for the balanced response.

^^Posts like this are just reactionary based. Like a stage of denial. That the Oilers are losing to the Ducks because of NHL officiating. Is Officiating causing a 2-1 disparity in sog in the pivotal 5th game?

The series isn't over yet, but its over if the Oilers walked away from that game figuring it was solely officiating that screwed them.

The objective in playoff hockey is to match effort level with enough consistency to win a series. The Oilers have been trying to win a series playing one good period per game. Amazingly they have had considerable success just doing that. If the Oil do go out tonight the thing that I will most regret is that they didn't consistently leave it all on the table. The vast majority of losing playoff clubs have lack of scoring as their demise. The Oilers have no such problem and score in bunches any period in which they decide to excel. Its just that they've only played around 5 good periods in a whole series. That's their undoing. As well as pissing away a 2-0 and going home series lead. The Oilers haven't shown up in Edmonton yet. Maybe tonight.

I think Cam Talbot should take some lessons from soccer (aka footie)

http://imgur.com/gallery/0dmLt

My favorite from above link:

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

IMG_2303 by BLACK STAR III, on Flickr

Had brunch at the Mac, ran into the Ducks getting on the bus and gave them a little hecklin'.
    www.decl.org

I consider a long 5 on 3 advantage a much more lethal advantage than a penalty shot. Giving Connor McDavid and Draisaitl a 5 on 3 is akin to giving them a goal.

http://behindthenet.ca/blog/uploaded...3v4-757492.JPG

Conversely shoot out goals happen roughly 30% of the time.

Keep in mind that the Oilers were awarded a 5 on 3 that was 90secs in duration. The probability of success in that is around 55%. Therefore the reinforcing of players milking penalties

Also that the probability of scoring a goal was much greater with the 2nd penalty awarded to Cam Fowler, the ducks best D, than for the actual ensuing hockey play. . So that not only did the Oilers get this gifted 5 on 3 the best Ducks D was removed from the pk. There are no stats for when a club is two men short playing without their best defender for 90 seconds but the score chance would be pretty high.
    For sure a 5 on 3 power play is better than having a penalty shot. If it was up to me the NHL would give the team awarded a penalty shot a choice of the shot or the 2 minutes. The 5 on three was not 'gifted'. The Ducks took a well deserved penalty when they were already killing a penalty. I know it was well deserved because the offence was so much more blatant than what Lucic did that got Getlaf his penalty shot.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Had brunch at the Mac, ran into the Ducks getting on the bus and gave them a little hecklin'.

Were the refs dining with them?

I wondered if the stripes were in there. I had some roasted duck.
    www.decl.org

Let's Go Oilers: Where to Eat Duck in Edmonton

http://linda-hoang.com/lets-go-oiler...duck-edmonton/
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    I wondered if the stripes were in there. I had some roasted duck.
    Was it carved roasted duck in a confit of chokecherries?

That would have been perfect for the occasion.

This aside how strange is it that Perry is a Duck and Maroon is an Oiler? Anyway, unrelated but the Oilers were close to acquiring Perry afairc in the K Lowe botched Comrie deal. I don't like the antics of Perry but I'd have him as an Oiler. I think draft wise the Oilers could have picked Getzlaf as well.

I think the Oilers win tonight and Gibson is his usual buffoon self knocking in a goal or two. Its just hilarious how often he knocks a puck in his own net. A klutz in that regard. Just put the puck at the net from anywhere, even better bouncers, Gibson makes them into adventures. The funniest thing is Draisaitl being onto this and trying to bank it in off Gibson from anywhere.

Been a great season in anycase, tonight's result won't change that.

C2E SME

What do you call six Ducks players and two referees on the ice?

Too many men!
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

AMAZING! 4 will be enough this time right?!?!?!
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

5-0 Oil after one period. If they blow this lead I will scream like a little girl!

time for mcdavid to get some points

almost ludicrous he's off the scoresheet.

looks like gibson will be returning in the second...

Gibson a clown show as expected. I called that. Ducks have some of the worst goaltending I've ever seen. 4 goals on first 8shots. lmao

Nuge almost scored the Ducks goaltending is that bad. Its like shooting on cardboard cutouts

Leon Draisaitl with the biggest heart and soul playoff performance Oilers fans have seen since Mark Messier. Scores first 2 goals, 3pts in period and just owning the Ducks all the time.

The Line of Drai, Lucic, Slepy is inspired. This should have been a constant line a longtime before now. This line is REALLY looking good and their heavy style blends in with each other. This is a mismatch any time they are on the ice and not even Getzlaf Perry can handle them.

Draisaitl could be the 2nd best forward in the league right now. We know who the first is. I could watch him taking that outlet pass and kicking it up to his stick all night. What sublime skill and vision this player has. As good as he was in regular season its nice to know he has a higher gear. He's playing better than even McDavid.

ANYTIME the Oilers are playing with speed the Ducks can't handle it. This needs to be drilled into this club.

We want 10!
    www.decl.org

We want ten!
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

10!

^ We'll see in the last three minutes lol
    It's heaven and hell!

Unreal stuff guys, unreal!
    www.decl.org

ANYTIME the Oilers are playing with speed the Ducks can't handle it. This needs to be drilled into this club.
    This is how they're capable of playing and should've been playing all series. Nice to see them respond this way after a potentially deflating game 5.

Oilers are winning 7 to 1 going into the 3rd period and Nuge, Eberle, and Pouliot are all -1.

7-1 Oil after two periods. If they blow this lead I will scream like a little girl!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast