Thread: Edmonton Music - 40s, 50s and 60s

C2E Posting Power

Default Edmonton Music - 40s, 50s and 60s

This thread is for the hard to find recordings of music of Edmonton from the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. Artists like Joe Kozak, Frankie Rodgers, the Hale Sisters, the Kaye Family, Gaby Haas, Violet Archer, Wes Dakus and so on.

Let's start off with what I can discern is the first rock & roll standard in Canada. And by standard, I mean that it was covered by other artists in Canada and recorded. There are older examples of rock songs but they are either covers of American songs or they seem to have been one-off songs that no one else has particularly covered (Midnight Sun Rock (1957) or Mon amour de rock & roll (1957)). From 1959, it is Joe Kozak's "Hillbilly Rock". You can hear the Hale Sisters backing up Joe.

Joe Kozak seems to have been part of the CFRN posse back in the 1950s that included Gaby Haas, the Hale Sisters, the Rodgers Brothers, and Scotty Stevenson. This was one of the larger posses, comparable with Hamilton's CMHL posse with Jack Kingston and Maurice Boulyer. Interesting to note that future top 40 act from Edmonton, the Allen Sisters did not participate in the Edmonton scene all that much. Instead, they went to Calgary to become part of the Country Hoedown show in the early 60s before leaving to Toronto to work with Greg Hambleton.

Other songs from the CFRN posse on Gaby Haas' Chuckwagon show.

Scotty Stevenson & The Edmonton Eskimos - Red Hot Boogie - 1954-1955 (Scotty Stevenson and his band did some recordings for RCA Victor's Bluebird label at RCA Victor's recording studio in Montreal in and around 1954 and 1956 but I haven't yet been able to sort out when.)

Hale Sisters - Rocky Mountain Rock - 1956 (Hank Rodgers on guitar, Frankie Rodgers on fiddle, Gaby Haas on fiddle, Joe Kozak on bass, don't know who is on the drums)

Frankie Rodgers - Ookpik Waltz - 1960 (A fiddle standard in Western Canada and United States.)

Gaby Haas - Gay-Be Polka - 1952 (Had to spend some time looking for Old Dad Taylor. Will need to do more research on this guy. Apparently he hosted a show Old Dad Taylor's Jubilee Jamboree on CHED.)
    Last edited by psiebold1; 23-04-2017 at 09:54 PM.
    Xelebes

CTV CFRN celebrating 60 years of music:

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/mobile/video?clipId=469317

Sun Country. Never saw it.
    Last edited by KC; 31-12-2017 at 07:21 AM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    CTV CFRN celebrating 60 years of music:

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/mobile/video?clipId=469317

Sun Country. Never saw it.
    Don't think I ever saw a full episode(or even half or a quarter, I don't care for country in general), but for some reason I can remember the lyrics to the theme...

Take yer shoes off, come on in
    Tell us how the world ya been
    We're glad to see that old familiar smile
    [something something sounds like "eye"]
    And here's the reason why
    We'll do some [something] Sun Country style

Suuuun country...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Not music related but it looks like Ched has dropped Coast to Coast am from their2018 schedule. Which means I'll be dropping Ched.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

I thought only old people like my Mom listened to the yap-yap-yap of CHED anymore...
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Not music related but it looks like Ched has dropped Coast to Coast am from their2018 schedule. Which means I'll be dropping Ched.
    This is what happened?!?!? I thought they moved it to a later timeslot. Stayed up till 3AM on New Years waiting for it
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I have You Tube for music. I only listened to Ched because of Coast.

^ Could be 630 Ched is still in holiday programing mode as of January 1st/2nd evening morning. Yet there was no Coast show this morning January 3rd. I don't mean to overreact and apologies in advance if I am but there were a balance of comments on Ched's page about the Oilers loss and Coast being canceled. Most likely if Coast has been canceled it would have been a decision from Ched's parent ownership Chorus radio network.

If there is no Coast show January 3/4th then I'm dropping Ched and becoming a "Coast to Coast insider." That way I can listen to the show at anytime. Anyone going that route?

C2E Posting Power

Mary Saxton had moved into Edmonton in the early 60s and soon formed a band called Mary & The Sensations. She did spend some time in Los Angeles after being discovered by by some R&A there. She continued to record in Edmonton when she went solo. She would have appeared with the likes of Wes Dakus & the Rebels, The Royal Family (before they became Troika in the 70s) and the Nomads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_X4q0HQ6Qw

Mary & the Sensations in 1964:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dsx2oF5kbM
    Last edited by psiebold1; 28-04-2018 at 07:27 PM.
    Xelebes

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Sounds like the Edmonton music scene was vibrant during those eras.

On my way into work this morning, a group of well dressed black men and a black lady and a white guy got off the bus at Central. I thought they could have been a band of some kind. The black lady had curly hair. Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    ^ Sounds like the Edmonton music scene was vibrant during those eras.

On my way into work this morning, a group of well dressed black men and a black lady and a white guy got off the bus at Central. I thought they could have been a band of some kind. The black lady had curly hair. Anyone know?

I’m not touching this one.

Ok, ok. Just one comment. It was the curly hair right? Bands have to have at least one member with curly hair don’t they.
    Last edited by KC; 28-04-2018 at 10:39 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ LoL. The group looked pretty happy, assuming it was a band. They were on the bus just behind me but i was trying to wake up.