Thread: The fašadism debate

Default The fašadism debate

On CBC radio this morning:

Is architectural fašadism an abomination or a way to preserve the beauty of the past?
    - Home | The Sunday Edition | CBC Radio

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayedi...past-1.4097871

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    On CBC radio this morning:

Is architectural fašadism an abomination or a way to preserve the beauty of the past?
    - Home | The Sunday Edition | CBC Radio

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayedi...past-1.4097871
    I think it's okay, if tastefully done. I wish that they had done that with the pyramid front from Central Pentecostal, when they tore it down.

And facadism is at least better than tearing the whole structure down, and then putting up a plaque commemorating the razed building, to make it look like we really cared, when clearly we didn't. That's what was done with that other church in Oliver, the one that used to host the Crowleyite group(or some such) for a while in its final days(near Oliver school, I believe). They knocked it all down, but put up a sign saying how significant it all was. Really ticked me off.

Amazing that in Europe that you can go to restaurants and hotels that are 500 years old.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    And facadism is at least better than tearing the whole structure down, and then putting up a plaque commemorating the razed building, to make it look like we really cared, when clearly we didn't.
    Yeah, or preserving the clockworks from the old Edmonton post office in front of the Westin, as another example.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Excellent if a last resort, but should not be permitted otherwise.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
    And facadism is at least better than tearing the whole structure down, and then putting up a plaque commemorating the razed building, to make it look like we really cared, when clearly we didn't.
    Yeah, or preserving the clockworks from the old Edmonton post office in front of the Westin, as another example.
    Wow, despite living the first three decades of my life in Edmonton, I don't think I ever knew that those clocks were from the old post office.

For some reason, that doesn't work as well for me as preserving a whole facade. Maybe because the structure holding the clock so obviously dates from the late 20th Century. It would have been better if they'd somehow been able to keep the whole tower intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
    Wow, despite living the first three decades of my life in Edmonton, I don't think I ever knew that those clocks were from the old post office.

For some reason, that doesn't work as well for me as preserving a whole facade. Maybe because the structure holding the clock so obviously dates from the late 20th Century. It would have been better if they'd somehow been able to keep the whole tower intact.
    Before and After pics here (drag the vertical separation to the left or right ):

Edmonton Then and Now: Main post office once a downtown landmark
    Janet Vlieg, Nov 13, 2015
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/insi...ntown-landmark

A good example of the issue being debated here. Was saving the clock enough? Woulda, coulda, shouda a hotel have been built on some other land nearby if the land hadn't been made available?

See this site for some great detailed photos:
    "At the time of its completion in 1910, the old post office building downtown was the largest building in Edmonton, ..."

This four-storey building in the Classic Revival style was constructed in steel and reinforced concrete ... It had a copper mansard roof, cupola windows, and a domed clock tower that reached 130 feet above street level. The first storey, which featured stone arches over the doorways and windows, was faced with solid Manitoba Tyndall limestone and finished with pressed brick trim supplied by the Edmonton Brick Co. The second and third storeys were faced with pressed brick with stone trim, and had columns and pilasters running the height of both stories, supporting an entablature and several small arched pediments with carved tympana. The basement walls were between 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 feet wide to provide a strong foundation for the building. The top storey, which was intended for use as the janitor's quarters and storage, was not full height.

The spacious main hall on the first floor had wide corridors, oak fittings, a mosaic tile floor, and a high ceiling supported by large pillars. The remainder of the building had tiled floors in the hallways and wooden floors in the offices, which were fitted with maple, birch, and pine trimmings. There were also three elevators, including a private elevator that ran between the ground, second, and third storeys. Two additional wings were constructed in 1929, as the needs of the city outgrew the original facilities.

... the old post office was closed on August 6, 1966. It remained vacant for several years while the federal and municipal governments debated its future. Finally in poor repair from lack of maintenance, it was demolished in 1972. The clock ..."

http://www.edmontonsarchitecturalher...n-post-office/
    Bolding was mine

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/331014641335601897/

Note the similarity with this one in Regina;
    File:Intersection of Scarth Street and 11th Avenue. The Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce building on the immediate left, the Post Office and Northern Crown Bank building across the street:
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...he_street..jpg
    Last edited by KC; 07-05-2017 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks KC. I'll check that out later tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

The spacious main hall on the first floor had wide corridors, oak fittings, a mosaic tile floor, and a high ceiling supported by large pillars. The remainder of the building had tiled floors in the hallways and wooden floors in the offices, which were fitted with maple, birch, and pine trimmings. There were also three elevators, including a private elevator that ran between the ground, second, and third storeys. Two additional wings were constructed in 1929, as the needs of the city outgrew the original facilities.

... the old post office was closed on August 6, 1966. It remained vacant for several years while the federal and municipal governments debated its future. Finally in poor repair from lack of maintenance, it was demolished in 1972.
    Your point was well stated.

A facade is just a front, a fake front. The true experience is when you enter the building. I went to the Empire State Building and the outside is a tall stone and concrete building. The inside is a wonderful flowing art deco lobby with beautiful stone and metal work.

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/empire-state/

Letting such a beautiful building like the Post Office fall into disrepair is a disgrace.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 08-05-2017 at 07:45 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.