Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Child friendly Edmonton

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by River Valley Green View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by River Valley Green View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    On CBC radio this AM Mayor Iveson hinted about a spray park and possibly putting in a small playground in/around Churchill Square. These are massively stupid ideas. Apparently "child-friendly" in Edmonton terms means pandering.
    Spray parks are the worst. Literally the tackiest things known to man. I don't care if they're for children. Downtown churchill square is for everyone to look at and frequent, not just kids. What existed before was a perfect compromise.
    You don’t see beauty the way I do. Kids love spray parks. Seeing a whole bunch of kids yelling and screaming and running and having a great time is always a better than any communication among adults, especially the ever hyper-critical conversations.
    Spray parks have their place. It's not by city hall. We want gaudy animal plastic thingies in literally the centre of the city and its seat of government?
    Oh man. You’re just building an ever stronger case for a spray park.
    Yes, so it can be child friendly..

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Spray parks are great however I don't think one would be appropriate for Churchill Square. What is appropriate is what already exists, a wading pool!
    And a beer tent and outrageously loud musical events throughout the summer...
    A beer tent would be lovely. Now I want go back to Europe again.
    Oh no, no, no. A pedestrian product like beer being served near the seat of government. Tsk, tsk.

I'd rather C2E than work!

We could get Arcadia to run it so it would only be Alberta craft beers!

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Spray parks are great however I don't think one would be appropriate for Churchill Square. What is appropriate is what already exists, a wading pool!
    Preach.

The Stanley Milner missed a huge opportunity to add an indoor playground. City Center Mall missed that boat too, when they renovated the food court. With the wading pool at City Hall as is, a spray park at Centennial Plaza would be redundant. Downtown needs an indoor playground of some size in a public/semi-public space.

Downtown needs a play place period. not sure why it needs to be indoors though. Millions of dollars have been spent on a dog park, but zero for anything that makes downtown a place for children to live or play.

Downtown for the status quo

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Downtown needs a play place period. not sure why it needs to be indoors though. Millions of dollars have been spent on a dog park, but zero for anything that makes downtown a place for children to live or play.

Downtown for the status quo
    Maybe the old coliseum would make the world’s greatest kids’ play place????

I’ve slresdy suggested a Children’s Museum for it and earlier for the old Rossdale Power plant building.

We need an indoor playground for the winter months.

How about getting an outdoor playground for downtown first for the summer months before a more expensive indoor playground, especially when we consider the demographics of the area. If somewhere needs an indoor playground, it's not downtown.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    We need an indoor playground for the winter months.
    Indoor playgrounds are already in operation by private businesses all around the city. If they feel that the downtown market could support one, they'll certainly have a go at it. Millenium place and Black gold have indoor playspaces in their rec centres, but I believe you have to pay to access. I don't know if any of the Edmonton rec centres have them.

The downtown YMCA has (had?) a small one. Most rec centres have something good enough for toddlers, some are good enough for all preschoolers. Nothing really for school age kids, but they can play outside, mostly. and they really need something bigger than will really work as a free amenity.

Maybe just a McDonalds Playplace is what is really needed. $1 coffee and you're in.
    There can only be one.

An indoor playground in a PUBLIC/semi-PUBLIC location would be a great amplifier of things already happening in the Churchill Square nimbus. Go for a skate at city hall, maybe a program at Stanley Milner and an afternoon mucking around in an indoor playground. An outdoor playground in that area would be a redundancy. Calgary has a great indoor playground in a downtown mall food court.

I take back what I said about hand wringing over the city hall wading pool controversy. Plenty of pushback about this utterly stupid decision. The Journal had a good editorial on the subject today, couple letters to the editor etc.

^A foodcourt playground would work well. The west basement location in City Centre would have had room for one, I don't know about the new one.

You know what else would be a great amenity? A supervised drop-in play space, a cross between the ikea kids play area and a by-the-hour daycare. There are lots of people who occasionally have appointments downtown, plus downtown workers who need occasional child care, for those days when regular child care doesn't work
    There can only be one.

When that downtown Y first opened you just knew they weren't serious about offering indoor activities for kids unless it was a program/cost recovery model which is fine but cut the happy talk. And the Art Gallery "kids space" is a joke - complete afterthought.

I checked out one of those by the hour daycare joints (again, in Calgary) - it worked well but you really pay for it. They often operate off hours too, evenings, nights. Don't think there is one in Edmonton in fact.

What are rates like for by-the-hour daycare?
    There can only be one.

Surprisingly, not much more than when we used it - http://funflexplaycare.ca/services.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12