Thread: Tim Hague Boxing Tragedy

C2E SME

Default Tim Hague Boxing Tragedy

"Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Tragic.

I was there for my first live boxing event and really enjoyed it until that match. It should have been stopped earlier or perhaps not permitted to go forward at all given his history with KOs/head injuries.

Condolences
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Very very sad. Tim was a great guy! Heart as big as the man he was. I concur that the fight should have been called earlier. Too tragic. Edmonton has lost 2 great local fighters in the last two years.
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

So hard to see, my bestman grew up with him back in Boyle. Had a bunch of good memories with Tim.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Very sad. I didn't know Tim very well at all, but we knew some of the same people growing up in Athabasca and him in Boyle and occasionally crossed paths over the years. This is a tragedy in all senses of the word. He was a beloved teacher and friend to many, but most importantly of all, a devoted family man. I am so sorry for their loss.

I'd rather C2E than work!

My condolences goes out to Tim Hague's family, friends, and students.

Bu all reports Hague was over-matched and should not be in the same ring with Adam Braidwood.

I was listening to an interview on CBC's Edmonton AM this morning. They spoke to an Edmonton boxing blogger and he was saying how the Edmonton boxing commission is dysfunctional. Alberta is the only province in the nation that does not have a province-wide boxing (combatants) commission. For example, the Lethbridge commission would not necessarily inform Edmonton that Hague suffered a concussion in his last fight.

The blogger said there should be a criminal investigation due to negligence. He listed other irregularities within the Edmonton commission. If I can get an audio of the interview I will post it.

UFC will be coming to Edmonton for the first time this September. UFC runs a tight ship when it comes to combatants safety.

However the Edmonton boxing commission, which has jurisdiction over this event, better get their act together and clear the air over what led to Tim Hague's death.

^Its sad. Looking at the youtube of the fight, he didn't look fighting fit / in shape, he shouldn't have been in that ring (easy to say now though). I guess at least he died doing what he loved (I hope to die in my sleep one day, since I love sleeping, but to each their own).

I'd rather C2E than work!

Here is the interview with Mike Russell of RealFightStories.com on CBC Edmonton AM. He is really critical of Edmonton Combative Sports Commission:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/972886595683

OK. I've specifically waited a period of time of commiseration before making this post.

AS some of you know I have worked in a Victims services capacity. I can only say that its some kind of experience from hell going to parents, spouses, families of loved ones who "died doing what they loved" and informing and consoling complete strangers of a departed as they scream and cry for hours, days, which really never stops. I know I'll never hear the end of those cries as long as I live. Its one of the hardest jobs on the planet, doing Victim Services. Doing crisis response and first informing.

Why do I mention that? For decades I've rallied against high risk activities and the needless human toll they take. Of people that give up their lives and leave loved ones suffering while doing what they " loved". As if there is no selfishness in that. As a parent counselor I've also been in the homes of families that pleaded with their husband/fathers to stop fighting MMA, stop fighting boxing. That specifically worry everytime they get in the ring. To those that follow and attend boxing, MMA, see if you can spot the spouse in the crowd, even if they can even bare to attend (most can't and are stressed beyond belief)

So theres that hidden pain always with this nature of tragedy and needless loss of life and it rarely ends up in print or see's the day. I'll be a voice for all those tears that even can't be expressed because people get attacked for expressing that view point, expressing the viewpoint that the person should have quit years ago and just stopped.

I take with a particular grain of salt the friends of Tim Hague who all talk the good talk about Tim (or whoever the victim is) died doing what he loved etc and that that's the important thing...

No, as a family worker the important thing is a widow, and children without a parent and parents without a son. That's several important things.. In life and death we exist not only in ourselves we exist in peoples lives.

Finally, while Tim's boxing friends are all expressing the commonly stated "the authorities should have stepped in, the authorities should have stopped the fight, the authorities should have done different" I've never met one of these individuals who took a concerted path to helping the person actually stop the risk activity they were engaged in. No, usually they are peers that involve in the same activity, and reinforce the same activity, and get the fighter to keep fighting even as the family pleads with the fighter to stop. That's often the backstory. I've seen the wives of the fighters crying, pleading with their husbands to stop, for the fighter friends to stay away, and leave their husbands alone. It gets to the extent where these individuals will even train and fight sometimes on the sly. They get together, and continue the high risk behavior despite the wishes of loved ones that really want to help.

That's the other side of these tragedies and that never gets reported.

RIP Tim Hague, but my condolences are for those effected family members who remain in pain. For the rest of their lives.
    Last edited by Replacement; 22-06-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"