Results 1 to 35 of 35

Thread: The Mayor's lies about Photo Radar by the numbers

  1. #1

    Exclamation The Mayor's lies about Photo Radar by the numbers

    You may have seen statements by Don Iveson such as this from 2014: https://doniveson.ca/2014/10/06/safe...s-photo-radar/

    As well as several other similar statements by him over years, as well as videos. He keeps stating that photo radar is reducing collisions and fatalities.

    Is it really?

    Here are some stats, the first column is the year, followed by the # of collisions, and the # of fatalities

    2002 23,542 20
    2003 22,137 29
    2004 20,606 34
    2005 22,783 26
    2006 26,066 25
    2007 28,520 31
    2008 29,072 28
    2009 28,832 29
    2010 28,480 24
    2011 23,442 22
    2012 23,243 26
    2013 24,805 23
    2014 24,627 22
    2015 25,517 30
    2016 23,139 21

    Graphing this just makes a line running up and down through the years, with no significant drop. In fact, there was a spike during a major increase in photo radar presence, which may, in fact, be from people keeping an eye out for vans or slamming the brakes when they spot one. Counter productive it seems.

    The top reason for the collisions according to reports are;

    • Following too closely/tailgating (Usually always first)
    • Failing to stop at a stop sign or red light
    • Making a left turn
    • Running off the road
    • Improper lane change
    • Failed to Yield Right of Way
    • Yeild Sign Violation
    • Backed Unsafely
    • Left of Centre
    • Failed to Yield to Pedestrian
    • Improper Passing


    No list that I have found mention speed, at all. Sources:

    2012 https://www.transportation.alberta.c...ion/AR2012.pdf
    2013 https://www.transportation.alberta.c...ion/AR2013.pdf
    2014 https://www.transportation.alberta.c...ion/AR2014.pdf
    2014 https://www.edmonton.ca/transportati...ual_Report.pdf (Nicer format)
    2015 https://www.edmonton.ca/transportati...nualReport.pdf
    2016 https://www.edmonton.ca/transportati...alReportsm.pdf

    All these documents listed above breakdown every collision by demographic, vehicle type and accident cause.

    Yet, the city and Mr. Iveson keep claiming that photo radar is working. Obviously, he has never seen these numbers, or he's straight up LYING! I would love to see him talk his way out of it when presented with these documents. Of course, speed can be a factor IN accidents, but I doubt any of the reasons on the list can be attributed to it because, well, you shouldn't tailgate, or run red lights, and you should yield when you should.

    Mr. Iveson needs to stop lying to the public like we're idiots and admit that this is a really good income for many city projects. Even though he states that it doesn't go the city, and it goes into funding traffic safety and police etc, this is still money the city is SAVING because now they don't have to use CITY MONEY on these projects. So it goes to the city one way or another.

  2. #2

    Default

    ^great post, all too true sadly, the speed cameras have nothing to do with safety, and everything to do with being a cash cow. The least Iveson, and other politicians could do, is be honest about it.

  3. #3

    Default

    Damn that Office of Traffic Safety, taking money out of people's pockets for not following the rules of the road that they agreed to, only to waste it on something like completely ludicrous like safety initiatives and the police!
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  4. #4

    Default

    Although I am no fan of photo radar. There is a variable missing from this data. I'm pretty sure that there is more vehicles on the road in Edmonton today than there was in 2002. So i would suggest that 23542 collision in 2003 compared to 23139 collisions in 2016 would actually relate to a fairly significant reduction in "expected collisions" or collisions per capita. Even the year over year reduction from 2015 to 2016 is pretty significant. I'm not sure that all of this can actually be attributed to photo radar but i don't think those numbers paint the full picture.

  5. #5

    Default

    It looks to me like there's a solid drop in collisions after 2010, especially when population growth is considered.

    It's pretty well known that police won't include speed as a factor unless it's the kind of speeding that will get a cop to pull you over even if he's not on speed enforcement duty. It would never be listed as a factor for a crash on a residential street where the driver was going 55 even if it's the kind of street where most prudent drivers are going 35.
    There can only be one.

  6. #6

    Default

    Id also like to add. If you don't want the revenue from photo radar. Then that revenue will have to be replaced by something, and that most likely something is out of your pocket. Drive the speed limit and your tax bill is automatically lower. Speed and your tax burden will increase. I like it and think i will take my chances with that.
    Last edited by Extreme; 28-06-2017 at 10:23 AM. Reason: spelling

  7. #7

    Default

    Wouldn't all the reduced speed zones have something to do with low collision rates?

    The comparison is somewhat apple oranges considering the City has been peeling back speed and continuing to do so.

    As for "just don't speed" I got a ticket for going 88km in a 80km speed limit Whitemud Freeway. Going due east at sunrise when due to the orientation of the road you can barely see any of the gauges, and have to squint and keep your eyes peeled on the road. Continuously trying to see what the speedometer is at is more dangerous than anything.

    We live in a City where several of our main corridors have a compass east west orientation. making all of these potential sunrise, sunset hazards. But we yield the hammer of traffic law should there be such obscene deviation of speed as 9%, while drivng on a portion of roadway constructed to be 100k/hr...

    ps Whoever painted the detour laneways on Whitemud at 66st construction should be forced to drive it 10 times at sunrise. They did a poor job erasing the original lines, and they've already changed the new lines twice. The lines should just come with a series of question marks. Seriously, try driving that stretch at 50K staring directly into the sunrise. Its accidents waiting to happen. Fortunately the vast majority of drivers driving through there have enough sense to go through there single file but of course theres others that don't even slow down slaloming through there.
    Last edited by Replacement; 28-06-2017 at 10:35 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  8. #8

    Default

    So despite being in a familiar car, in a familiar situation, on a familiar road with well-established limits you were unable to follow the posted guidelines due to the sun & somehow the failing is somewhere in the system & not your own conduct/driving acumen?

    That's an interesting interpretation.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  9. #9

    Default

    If you look at the sections for "collision hot spots", they're all IN the city, mostly intersections. There's nothing on the Henday, which I believe is where they catch most people on photo radar because of the high volume. Not saying accidents don't happen on the Henday, but it's not considered a hot spot.

    Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^great post, all too true sadly, the speed cameras have nothing to do with safety, and everything to do with being a cash cow. The least Iveson, and other politicians could do, is be honest about it.
    So you've never tried to merge onto the Henday when traffic is going 110+ km/h? You need to match the speed of traffic to safely merge, especially when it's busy. Expecting someone to slow down is wrong, and cutting in front of someone will just cause them to slam the brakes and probably cause an accident. I received a ticket when merging under a bridge and I was going the SAME speed as the traffic (PR was ON that bridge). I fought it and didn't get a ticket after bringing my dashcam video with GPS stamp and requesting information on what else the camera caught at that time to prove how fast the traffic was moving. The judge didn't give a .... and threw it out.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    Id also like to add. If you don't want the revenue from photo radar. Then that revenue will have to be replaced by something, and that most likely something is out of your pocket. Drive the speed limit and your tax bill is automatically lower. Speed and your tax burden will increase. I like it and think i will take my chances with that.
    That's fine. I'd rather pay an honest tax to pay for services instead of through a sneaky cash cow. Besides, getting the money from somewhere else would probably yield more money since it comes from everyone, and not just speeders, but it would cost everyone so little. Like moahunter said, they can at least be honest about it.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    So despite being in a familiar car, in a familiar situation, on a familiar road with well-established limits you were unable to follow the posted guidelines due to the sun & somehow the failing is somewhere in the system & not your own conduct/driving acumen?

    That's an interesting interpretation.
    Not sure what you can't comprehend about "Can't see the odometer gauge. It is impossible to see the odometer with that kind of bright sun and one needs to keep eyes peeled on the road at all times in those situations as if you take your eyes off to scan instruments and then re scan ahead you can end up looking directly into the sun and causing a temporary vision loss.

    Not sure what you're getting at here either. I have huge legs. I do 300lb leg lifts. I can squat more than my weight. I can cycle 100km. What I can't do is gauge the minute difference between pedal pressed throttling to 88km vs 80 at 6am in the morning. I can't. Maybe somebody with spindly lets that has a hard time even depressing the gas pedal might have a better perfect feel for it.

    Finally, in the AM, as with most people I'm not at my best in gauging such minutely different variations. I'm driving a car. Not taking the Space Shuttle on pinpoint Earth re entry, and on a roadway that was designed and engineered for a 100K speedlimit and getting a ticket at 88.

    Throw the book at me, throw me in jail..
    Last edited by Replacement; 28-06-2017 at 10:48 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  12. #12

    Default

    I don't have a problem with an honest tax. but once again that burden is carried by the people who pay tax to the city of Edmonton. I know there is discussion that comes up here all the time, about people from outside the city and having to pay for them to use our resources. This is just one small way to spread that tax burden across that user base.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    I don't have a problem with an honest tax. but once again that burden is carried by the people who pay tax to the city of Edmonton. I know there is discussion that comes up here all the time, about people from outside the city and having to pay for them to use our resources. This is just one small way to spread that tax burden across that user base.
    This is not a toll, which would be warranted, this is an arbitrary dragnet operation of strictly monitoring speed limits with no buffer, no margin or error allowed, in a city that has set up countless instances of speed limits being lower than the roads were designed for.

    On Whitemud, as a Southside resident, I have the laughable situation of the ENTIRE FREEWAY being 80k, instead of 100, because way west of where I drive theres a 90 degree turn, one I take maybe 3 times a year. But for some reason the entire 20K stretch of Whitemud east of that needs to be 80k...

    That's the speed limit logic mechanism of this city.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  14. #14

    Default

    Getting a speeding ticket for 88 in an 80 zone is ludicrous. I don't at all agree with that. Buy saying that 8km an hour is minute is a little hard to believe. If it is actually that hard to regulate for you, i would suggest cruise control. One less thing that you have to worry about.

  15. #15

    Default

    Henday revenue should go for sky train to St.Albert
    Last edited by champking; 28-06-2017 at 11:01 AM.

  16. #16

    Default

    Cruise control in city driving? I would never recommend that to anyone driving anywhere.

    I actually stopped ever using cruise control two vehicles ago. One severe experience with a malfunctioning cruise control that is stuck on accelerate and you're one trial conditioned to never use it again. I haven't even touched the cruise control in the last 2 vehicles I've owned. tbh I wouldn't know how to work them. For sure I'm not going to try it.

    ps I'll say it again. Its hard to regulate in conditions where I cannot visibly see the gauge. Do an experiment. Drive for even 5-10 mins on a highway where there are turns, hills and where you need to adjust your speed or throttle from time to time, or in traffic where speeding up or slowing down occurs. Don't even glance at your gauge for that time duration, not even a peek. Then look at it and see if your are off at all.

    My range of error is around 5-10%. Sometimes its rock solid. But I have a compressed nerve problem in my lower back (diagnosed, Xrayed, MRI, I have all the documentation on the condition and its effects) which leaves me with variable sensations and sensing and even flexibility and strength occasional problems in my right leg which can also spasm , which is still very strong leg, but its a back problem that can flare up at any time. Minute sensing is more difficult for anybody with any such condition. next pain. When your entire right side of your right leg is ALWAYS in pain, I mean permanently (compressed nerve difficulty) minute sensation and detection is more difficult) When I was younger, and before deteriorating discs, I had no problem discerning difference, albeit it was also impacted by circumstance. If I was late, the tendency is to hit the pedal harder. Tends to be an innate response. its why they tell people not to ever be late while driving.
    Last edited by Replacement; 28-06-2017 at 11:12 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  17. #17

    Default

    Your preaching to the choir. I too live on the south east side. I travel the whitemud every day to work. east-west. So sun is not an issue. I do believe the speed limit is a little artificially low, but that does indeed seem to be the city's M.O..

    That being said, since the Henday has opened, the photo radar on the whitemud has been significantly reduced. I drive by a photo radar vehicle about once a month. with the construction at 66 there has been a lot more enforcement there. but that is to be expected and i would applaud that.

    For sake of full disclosure, I did receive a photo ticket in that area after construction hours for 13 over. not happy about it. But I do recognize it was warranted.

  18. #18

    Default

    To each their own i guess. I have not had your experience with a cruise control issues. What i would not recommend is using cruise control in bad weather.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    This is not a toll, which would be warranted, this is an arbitrary dragnet operation of strictly monitoring speed limits with no buffer, no margin or error allowed, in a city that has set up countless instances of speed limits being lower than the roads were designed for.
    That's nonsense. There's a buffer, just not one big enough to let you off for your 10% mistake.

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    On Whitemud, as a Southside resident, I have the laughable situation of the ENTIRE FREEWAY being 80k, instead of 100, because way west of where I drive theres a 90 degree turn, one I take maybe 3 times a year. But for some reason the entire 20K stretch of Whitemud east of that needs to be 80k...
    None of this changes the fact that you're incapable of accurately maintaining your speed limit & have been cited appropriately for your failure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    That's the speed limit logic mechanism of this city.
    Versus your logic that between the sun & your rippling quads you shouldn't be held to your obligations you volunteered to take on when you became a driver.

    Hilarious.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  20. #20

    Default

    ^There is no buffer anymore as per Iveson, and as per people getting tickets for speeding by less than 10k.

    As per the gas pedal this is feedback device designed to offer pushback of a certain tension and designed for the average driver so that they feel no load on the foot while compressing the gas pedal. I mentioned leg strength because the pedal isn't designed for me, engineered for me, and I would require a bit more pushback on the pedal than somebody very slight. Nor is that pedal tension adjustable afaik. This is a case of one pedal fits all application. nor does adjusting the seat back or forth help very much. its the gas pedal tension that is engineered and set, too slight, which is slightly odd considering this encourages gas consumption.

    Hey, maybe everybody with a deteriorating back condition, and constant pain in their leg should be thrown off the road.

    This is the problem with holding and projecting perfecting standards to everybody, and that you'll find this, as your body declines, there will be less things that you can do perfectly. Will you want you to be prohibited from the road when your body starts to be wracked by any such condition? Will you appreciate somebody young and in perfect health quoting minute obligations?

    I doubt it, but carry on.
    Last edited by Replacement; 28-06-2017 at 11:24 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    To each their own i guess. I have not had your experience with a cruise control issues. What i would not recommend is using cruise control in bad weather.
    Cruise control is not even designed for city use, and when I took driver training, as well as defensive driving, it was stressed NOT to use it in city driving. Maybe this has changed, heh, that was a considerable time ago..
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    ^There is no buffer anymore as per Iveson, and as per people getting tickets for speeding by less than 8k.
    I believe the buffer is 6km/h, not 8. Just because it's not big enough for you doesn't mean it's nonexistent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Hey, maybe everybody with a deteriorating back condition, and constant pain in their leg should be thrown off the road.
    If that impedes their ability to drive their vehicle as is laid out in the legislation, absolutely.


    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    This is the problem with holding and projecting perfecting standards to everybody, and that you'll find this, as your body declines, there will be less things that you can do perfectly. Will you want you to be prohibited from the road when your body starts to be wracked by any such condition? Will you appreciate somebody young and in perfect health quoting minute obligations?
    You're assuming that I'm young, in peak physical condition & suffer no maladies of my own. On the contrary, I'm no spring chicken & I've got a number of ongoing/chronic/intermittent conditions that could potentially interfere with my ability to drive safely & do not drive when under the influence of either the illness/injury or the medication required to combat it. I've no right to drive, it's a privilege that I must treat with the respect it deserves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    I doubt it, but carry on.
    Yeah, keep on blaming everything around you for the consequences of the actions nobody but you are responsible for. Nobody makes you speed but you. You got caught. Pay up & learn from your mistakes.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  23. #23

    Default

    ^^ Buffer less than 10 km/hr does not mean no buffer.

    I don't feel like 10% over is an unfair buffer, 55 on a 50 zone is easy to maintain, and the lower buffer means that everyone travels at close to the same speed.

    I do think that our freeway/expressway speed limits could be raised, I suspect that they were set with the expectation that everyone would be speeding by 10 over and actual speeders would be going 20 over, now that compliance is better the limit could be raised. an 80 limit on the yellowhead (still level crossings) and 90 on the whitemud would not be out of place.
    There can only be one.

  24. #24

    Default

    ^^Thanks for your feedback as always Noodle. You are in a bit of a zone this AM, and I lol'd with you in some of your work in the other threads. I don't mind being the target of your rapier replies in this one. I appreciate reading your posts. I see your point, and I've considered it, but I'm hardly a menace on the road and haven't been faulted for any accidents since my only faulted accident in 91.

    I compensate by driving defensively, awarely, and checking, shoulder checking etc. You know how many people on the road that have trouble shoulder checking due to tight muscles, cramps, neck/back problems? probably a lot... I just mean that to be unsubstantiated humor..

    heh

    I figured the bulging thighs thing would give you some material as well.

    Sorry about any assumptions on your health. Kudos to you standing by what you believe. I will stop driving if I sense or detect that my driving is hazardous. Really I might stop at this vehicle. For out of town we love Via Rail. For intown I'd just rather cycle which I'm still good at or take public transit in the form of LRT when it arrives here in Millwoods.

    ps The pedal resistance is appropriate on my bike..
    Last edited by Replacement; 28-06-2017 at 11:42 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  25. #25
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    Has Edmonton ever seriously considered converting its worst offending intersections to traffic circles?
    http://trrjournalonline.trb.org/doi/pdf/10.3141/1751-01

    Excerpt from the results:
    https://s11.postimg.org/v0sixiyxf/Results.jpg

    Those unfamiliar with how to get the full paper:
    http://sci-hub.io/

  26. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    ^^ Buffer less than 10 km/hr does not mean no buffer.

    I don't feel like 10% over is an unfair buffer, 55 on a 50 zone is easy to maintain, and the lower buffer means that everyone travels at close to the same speed.

    I do think that our freeway/expressway speed limits could be raised, I suspect that they were set with the expectation that everyone would be speeding by 10 over and actual speeders would be going 20 over, now that compliance is better the limit could be raised. an 80 limit on the yellowhead (still level crossings) and 90 on the whitemud would not be out of place.
    Staying within 5km on my motorcycle , is darn near impossible .

  27. #27

    Default

    I guess you need to take more lessons

    Maybe from these guys

    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  28. #28
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    I don't even know anymore :/
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    So despite being in a familiar car, in a familiar situation, on a familiar road with well-established limits you were unable to follow the posted guidelines due to the sun & somehow the failing is somewhere in the system & not your own conduct/driving acumen?

    That's an interesting interpretation.
    Not sure what you can't comprehend about "Can't see the odometer gauge. It is impossible to see the odometer with that kind of bright sun and one needs to keep eyes peeled on the road at all times in those situations as if you take your eyes off to scan instruments and then re scan ahead you can end up looking directly into the sun and causing a temporary vision loss.

    Not sure what you're getting at here either. I have huge legs. I do 300lb leg lifts. I can squat more than my weight. I can cycle 100km. What I can't do is gauge the minute difference between pedal pressed throttling to 88km vs 80 at 6am in the morning. I can't. Maybe somebody with spindly lets that has a hard time even depressing the gas pedal might have a better perfect feel for it.

    Finally, in the AM, as with most people I'm not at my best in gauging such minutely different variations. I'm driving a car. Not taking the Space Shuttle on pinpoint Earth re entry, and on a roadway that was designed and engineered for a 100K speedlimit and getting a ticket at 88.

    Throw the book at me, throw me in jail..

    So you can't see because the sun is in your eyes, yet you are OK with going faster than the speed limit? I get that if the sun in your face makes it hard to see your Odometer, but that also means it's hard to see everything else too. Meaning you should probably slow down.

    "I was speeding because I couldn't see where I was going officer" is an argument that would not play out well in any situation.I think the Whitemud limit is ridiculous, but that argument might be even worse.

  29. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I guess you need to take more lessons

    Maybe from these guys

    If we did as dumb and dumber doing in the video, following too closely , I wouldn't make it till my next b-day. They also riding side by side <~~~illegal to do on our roadways...need to be staggered
    Last edited by champking; 29-06-2017 at 09:20 AM.

  30. #30

    Default

    You made my day with your silly post.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  31. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    So despite being in a familiar car, in a familiar situation, on a familiar road with well-established limits you were unable to follow the posted guidelines due to the sun & somehow the failing is somewhere in the system & not your own conduct/driving acumen?

    That's an interesting interpretation.
    Not sure what you can't comprehend about "Can't see the odometer gauge. It is impossible to see the odometer with that kind of bright sun and one needs to keep eyes peeled on the road at all times in those situations as if you take your eyes off to scan instruments and then re scan ahead you can end up looking directly into the sun and causing a temporary vision loss.

    Not sure what you're getting at here either. I have huge legs. I do 300lb leg lifts. I can squat more than my weight. I can cycle 100km. What I can't do is gauge the minute difference between pedal pressed throttling to 88km vs 80 at 6am in the morning. I can't. Maybe somebody with spindly lets that has a hard time even depressing the gas pedal might have a better perfect feel for it.

    Finally, in the AM, as with most people I'm not at my best in gauging such minutely different variations. I'm driving a car. Not taking the Space Shuttle on pinpoint Earth re entry, and on a roadway that was designed and engineered for a 100K speedlimit and getting a ticket at 88.

    Throw the book at me, throw me in jail..

    So you can't see because the sun is in your eyes, yet you are OK with going faster than the speed limit? I get that if the sun in your face makes it hard to see your Odometer, but that also means it's hard to see everything else too. Meaning you should probably slow down.

    "I was speeding because I couldn't see where I was going officer" is an argument that would not play out well in any situation.I think the Whitemud limit is ridiculous, but that argument might be even worse.
    You conflated two different things. I never stated I speed when visibility is bad, I never do, I stated that presently it would be hard for somebody to see the odometer, or the wacky detour construction lines on Whitemud at LRT construction, at 6am. I slow right down, trust me.

    This brings me to another point. The detour as used at this construction site should never be allowed to be used longterm and should require some sort of inspection and approval. For this nature of close tight turns to be required on a main freeway, and for a longterm period of time is whacked. The turns should be more gradual, less tight, and they can open up a bit of space so that its not sardine cans through there almost brushing the concrete barriers which not too coincidentally take up a lot of the potential egress through there. The detour lane paintings there are an abortion. Just ridiculous.

    The win in this, and I'm proud, is that drivers have tended to treat this as a one lane thouroughfare. But others don't even acknowledge the speed restriction change, or that their lane is changing, or that the bottleneck is really tight.

    Try it, don't take my word. Drive there going east at 6am. Or for aggravation drive it going east with all the drive home traffic. Get prepared for a game of chicken played by the drivers speeding up to the 50K construction limit sign and almost hitting the signage and barriers so that they can squeeze in.

    Racing up to a road construction site at these speeds should be a suspension of licence outright and even worse when your lane is ending.
    Last edited by Replacement; 29-06-2017 at 10:52 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  32. #32

    Default

    Speaking of conflation, what does your odometer have to do with your speed anyways, or are you conflating the instrument used to measure cumulative distance travelled with the one responsible for displaying your current velocity? You should be looking at your speedometer, not the odometer.


    Between the sun, your rippling quads, aching body & your confusion regarding what you should be looking at no wonder you got a ticket!
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  33. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Speaking of conflation, what does your odometer have to do with your speed anyways, or are you conflating the instrument used to measure cumulative distance travelled with the one responsible for displaying your current velocity? You should be looking at your speedometer, not the odometer.


    Between the sun, your rippling quads, aching body & your confusion regarding what you should be looking at no wonder you got a ticket!
    heh

    I should be looking at a dictionary, haha. Sometimes when I type up some dreck too fast I use one word for another. I need to proofcheck more. Funny thing is its harder to notice your own errors in writing than to proof others.

    Related, I dislike autocorrect. It constantly wants to change words that are close in spelling or phonics, from word to the udder...
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  34. #34

    Default

    Sometimes when the sun is real low it can be difficult to drive. Some times of the year or worse and some times in the day are bad as the sun just seems so intense that you have to have the sun visor down. There are times of the year when I think I would hate to be travelling to Banff or B.C. as you would be driving for quite some time with the sun at it's most intense and shining into the vehicle. Good sunglasses would be a must for that.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  35. #35

    Default

    The argument for buffers is pointless. The reason there is some leeway is because vehicle manufacturers are not mandated to follow any requirements that make their speedometers/odometers 100% accurate at all speeds. I've never been in a vehicle that has an accurate speedometer compared to GPS at ALL SPEEDS. Odometers are the same. There are too many variances in everything from tire size and wear, to differentials etc. You could have 100 cars on cruise control at 100 km/h being radar'ed or measured accurately and I'll bet a very very small portion will be within a 98-102 km/h bracket.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •