Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More epark confusion.

Default More epark confusion.

So we went to the Works festival DT today, Monday, July 3, enjoying the stat in lieu on the Monday that most people get. We park south of Jasper Ave near Starlite. Just because we like a little walk. Enjoyed the works festival, some good Jazz bands, some good Curry N Hurry. Storm hit though putting a damper on things. Arrive back at our vehicle soaked to find a parking ticket, in a zone where Sundays and Stats are normally free. Ticket is 50bucks. I've already complained to epark but they are closed today because get this, its a stat holiday in lieu for them as well...

Except they have bylaw enforcement handing out tickets (other vehicles got nailed as well) on a Stat in Lieu Monday, Happy Canada day 150 long weekend. Why, oh why COE? Not epark issues again. It seems theres regularly controversy with their administration of epark, confusion about, what, where, when is free, event nights etc. I've never got a ticket on a Stat, or Stat in lieu before.

I left a civil message to epark indicating I would go public with this and call the press if this isn't rectified. I do this on behalf of myself and others.

Next I call 311 to report this. Indicated that I couldn't talk to a representative at epark because they have today as a holiday (the irony). also indicated that we actually inquired at information tent at The Works festival and the 2 nice people there said they are pretty sure it wasn't an event day, that it was a stat, and that parking should be free today. There was a beat constable around so we just said hi, he was interested in meeting/talking to the public so we just asked him as well. (I'm paranoid) whether we would get any parking ticket today. He didn't think so either. I relayed all this circumstance to the nice rep at 311. She indicated although today is a civic holiday in lieu for all COE staff it is different from an ACTUAL stat in that the Stat parking holiday rules don't apply. Its a paid parking day. (everybody got that?) To which I happily responded. "How am I supposed to know that? How am I supposed to know a stat in lieu rule is different than a Stat holiday rule. I mentioned anybody would think its the same rule. Went on to state that this is inappropriate ticketing, opportunistic, and basically plying on people not knowing and believing (like we did) that it was stat parking rules today.

I should note clearly that the epark machine itself offers no specific day to day feedback on it being a pay parking day. The signs say free parking on Sundays. (this usually means stat holidays as well)

hooboy. 50 buck ticket to celebrate Canada's 150 birthday long weekend. I'm not even sad this happened to me specifically. I'm sad we have a civic administration giving opportunistic tickets like this on our nations historic 150 holiday long weekend.

btw people at the Works information tent wondering why hardly anybody was there attending today. (Crowds were as sparse as I've ever seen) Well, its reasons like this. Its ticketing harassment like this. I knew this would happen to me some day due to how much confusion there is with epark event parking rules and other rules. I didn't think it was going to be today.

We'll see what happens.
    Last edited by Replacement; 03-07-2017 at 06:50 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

ps I couldn't find the thread for this where there had been public complaints about epark before. There were some real classic threads on this but a search did not reveal the past threads I was looking for. Several people though at different times have complained to the media before about improper tickets and towing. Fortunately we weren't towed. Albeit the ticket was fresh so I have no idea if we would have been.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Once again the C of E slyly bends the rule to favor their coffers. I try to avoid those epark meters as much as possible. There has been a couple of times I've fed them money then I have finished whatever I had to do earlier than I thought. Rather then wasting that money I try to pass the left over time to someone else. No chance with that at epark. I would say if today is a day off in lieu of Saturday that the parking should be free. Then again, it's the C of E, what is fair and the right thing to do does not seem to extend much into their parking realm. Then they wonder why no one goes downtown.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Replacement, that's a load of BS, and I know you'll fight this to the end.

I wonder how hard it would be for them to modify the ePark machine to add a light that's on when you have to pay, and off when you don't? Really, that should have been something there from day 1, and would have ended the confusion. Anywhere you park that's paid parking is within eyesight of one of the meters, and a light would make it easy to check from a distance, whether you have to pay or not.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

I swear the city does its absolute best to be as cryptic as possible about when you have to pay. The machines are garbage, the app is garbage, the entire setup is garbage.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

First One is Always Free

It was free on Saturday and the machines had stat holiday on the screen, no payment required.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I swear the city does its absolute best to be as cryptic as possible about when you have to pay. The machines are garbage, the app is garbage, the entire setup is garbage.
    The App works fine. Load some money. Each time you park, put in the zone. Its not brain surgery. I put in 20 dollars about three years ago and still haven't used up what I loaded - and I haven't had one ticket, unlike the old machines. It might be too technologically challenging for you and replacement, but I am sure most regular folks can figure it out.
    Last edited by moahunter; 04-07-2017 at 07:41 AM.

Yep. We should have rolled our own or searched farther than Calgary to get our new system.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    The App works fine. Load some money. Each time you park, put in the zone. Its not brain surgery. I put in 20 dollars about three years ago and still haven't used up what I loaded - and I haven't had one ticket, unlike the old machines. It might be too technologically challenging for you and replacement, but I am sure most regular folks can figure it out.
    This kind of response is predictable from you but did you even read the OP? Several parked cars we saw got tickets yesterday, and I imagine all of them thinking that it was a stat, and no payment required along with street signage that would further lend that impression.

The 311 rep didn't even know what to say when I asked how am I supposed to know that the epark ruling on stats in lieu is different than when they fall on an actual stat. Which is kind of silly to begin with because its a long weekend, Canada Day long weekend, and everybody I know that gets stats gets the following Monday off if the stat falls on a regular day off.

The issue I expressed in the OP is not trying to figure out how to pay epark (which is much more obtuse than something like this needs to be) its that epark had to be paid on a day that was a stat holiday for COE employers and most people. even epark employees had the day off.

But heres another thing, and consider it from a tourist angle (and there were some DT as well) if you are attending a cities major festival (The Works/Jazz City) and the information reps from that festival don't even know, and can't inform you what the parking rules are DT, and the information hasn't in anyway been disseminated to that org, or at the website for them to check, then there is a significant ongoing informational problem. The end result being that DT visitors get screwed by this.

Quote Originally Posted by mynewt View Post
    It was free on Saturday and the machines had stat holiday on the screen, no payment required.
    Thanks for the feedback. We didn't attend Canada Day so no way of knowing the machines had that on the screen on Saturday. I guess that possibility could have occurred to us but didn't since the actual paid stat occurs on the day in lieu, on the Monday, which can create confusion in the rule. Its interesting that you say it had Stat holiday written on the screen. Are you certain of that? Because I have been DT before on Stat holidays and it didn't have that written on the screen at Library/Citadel parkade. Just that when you entered your licence plate the payment came to zero. That was within the last year.

On Saturday the machines in Oliver displayed the holiday info & no payment required.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Replacement, that's a load of BS, and I know you'll fight this to the end.

I wonder how hard it would be for them to modify the ePark machine to add a light that's on when you have to pay, and off when you don't? Really, that should have been something there from day 1, and would have ended the confusion. Anywhere you park that's paid parking is within eyesight of one of the meters, and a light would make it easy to check from a distance, whether you have to pay or not.
    Thanks Gord. I'll continue to pursue this. One of the problems is the degree to which epark is requiring payment and checking meters. This being on a day where many people had the stat, and consider it a long weekend Monday stat in lieu. Its obvious that there could be appreciable confusion about whether payment is required or not as it is NOT a normal M-F workday so my question to 311 is why do they need to enforce on a day where that is obviously going to result in tickets to people that would otherwise pay and that would intend to pay if required? She didn't have an answer for that. I really want to denote though that the 311 person that took the call was accommodating, professional, and skilled. She took all the information down, took her time, and has forwarded this file to epark as per my concerns.

While I sympathize with Replacement, Monday was not a stat holiday, legally speaking.

The only case where a date other than July 1 is a designated an official stat holiday is when July 1 falls on a Sunday, at which point July 2 becomes the stat for Canada Day. There's no official recognition in the law for July 3 to be an official stat. Saturday was the legal holiday this year, not Monday.

Canada Day

• 2 (1) July 1, not being a Sunday, is a legal holiday and shall be kept and observed as such throughout Canada under the name of "Canada Day".

• When July 1 is a Sunday

(2) When July 1 is a Sunday, July 2 is a legal holiday and shall be kept and observed as such throughout Canada under the name of "Canada Day".

• R.S., c. H-7, s. 2;
    • 1980-81-82-83, c. 124, s. 1.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/H-5/page-1.html

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    This kind of response is predictable from you but did you even read the OP? Several parked cars we saw got tickets yesterday, and I imagine all of them thinking that it was a stat, and no payment required along with street signage that would further lend that impression.
    Pull phone out of pocket. Touch epark app. Put in zone number. Press start session. If its a holiday you won't be charged, but it tells you. Not rocket science. The machines are there for tourists / people too lazy to spend 10 minutes setting up the App / loading a nominal amount of cash.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I have sent this to the powers that be and agree things can always be clearer/clarified, but and as mentioned, it was free on Sat with indication and yesterday was not a stat.

That said, I too find them confusing at times.

I will relay any response.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E SME

Correct. However a friend I met for a coffee on Saturday had started the clock ticking within the app, and was surprised when I mentioned to him that I'd gone to a machine and realized it was a stat holiday. He canceled his session in the app, but I'm not sure if it still cost him a few bucks. So the app itself was seemingly not aware that it was a stat holiday.

Not to mention that damn near every year when Canada Day falls on a weekend, this happens. Monday was not a statutory holiday, even if it was a day in lieu. That being said, given how this happens every time the stat is on the weekend, the City should not be enforcing parking meters on days in lieu. It's so ticky-tack.

I do agree that the ePark app is horrendous. Everything about it looks amateur and poorly designed. For example, when you put in your phone number, it will reject it with an error message if you put in a "-" between the area code and the rest. The app should be able to figure that out on it's own, that's just flat out lazy or incompetent design. And the machines themselves are brutal as well. Who the hell decided on the keypad layout? It's not QWERTY, and the numbers aren't in a typical numpad layout either. Every time I've used one I've had to fumble around to find the right letter or number because the layout is totally non-conventional. In today's day and age where everyone is familiar with QWERTY and numpad layouts, there is no damn reason to not use them. They're also horribly slow in response to entries.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 04-07-2017 at 08:36 AM.

Please note the only person commenting that Calgary-created ePark is fine is our local Calgarian pot-stirrer & proud regressive illiberal, moahunter.

The app looks like a weekend project from a coding jam for first year CS students & the machines themselves are terrible.

Have they fixed the whole "one plate, one account" brouhaha yet?

^The last time that Canada Day fell on a Saturday was 2006. So that its infrequent, and an infrequent ruling. Canada Day is also significant in that its the most notable summer Long weekend stat on the Calendar. Everybody treats, thinks of it naturally as a long weekend and goes out of town etc, or Vacays in town, thinking that the Monday is a holiday.

Google search "does the stat fall on the Friday or Monday? (for a stat that falls on a Saturday or Sunday) and theres ample inquiries about this from people that don't know. Often enough its inquiries from people in HR or Payroll that have trouble knowing which day it is. Apparently theres even a subset of companies that pay stats, but that do not pay Canada Day if it falls on a Saturday, only on a Sunday. Such is the confusion with that stat.

But with the common theme that significant confusion on this exists. So that a prudent epark would not victimize DT attendees for not knowing what a lot of HR people don't even know.

As per the non QWERTY layout theres been times where I couldn't input the licence plate before it times out (I believe 10 secs) because I'm searching for the characters. We've seen others get timed out several times in a row doing this. Strange design.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Please note the only person commenting that Calgary-created ePark is fine is our local Calgarian pot-stirrer & proud regressive illiberal, moahunter.

The app looks like a weekend project from a coding jam for first year CS students & the machines themselves are terrible.

Thanks, Moa's response was so typical.

I'm not sure about the "one plate, one account" thing. I haven't used the app. I don't have an account. We don't park DT a lot anymore. Less now.

C2E SME

Pretty sure I saw an option to add multiple plates to my account. And I also saw a button to "check in a friend" or something of that nature.

Pull phone out of pocket. Touch epark app. Put in zone number. Press start session. If its a holiday you won't be charged, but it tells you. Not rocket science. The machines are there for tourists / people too lazy to spend 10 minutes setting up the App / loading a nominal amount of cash.
    I don't have a smartphone data plan because I don't require one and I don't intend to have to pay 100bucks a month service charges for something I don't need and wouldn't use much. I actually physically have a smartphone that Telus was required to give me free because they cancelled my old phones network, but I don't have data or network coverage for that phone. I'm paying 16 bucks/mth for it. I use it a bit more than my old flip top it replaced. But not much. Some Apps work if you don't have coverage (ticketmaster ticket scans for instance) some don't.

But its silly to require people to have a tech device and app further to using the epark machines. Logically it would follow then that the epark machines, themselves, are incomplete and do not convey information sufficiently to avoid confusion.

Plus, and this happens a lot to anybody I know, but what do you do when your cellphone is out of power, won't work, you left it at home by mistake, etc. I'm sure those instances exist as well. Is it now mandated for me to have a connected network smartphone?

I get that it's confusing, but Monday wasn't the stat holiday. Saturday was. While your employer gave you the day in lieu, July 3rd is not a stat holiday as legally defined. Some employers (like many in the financial industry) chose to give Friday, not Monday, off to prevent a slow start to month/quarter-end processing.

Logically it would follow then that the epark machines, themselves, are incomplete and do not convey information sufficiently to avoid confusion.
    The machines themselves do convey stat holiday information when it's relevant. Like it was on Saturday, the stat holiday.

Perhaps you should have used your rippling, majestic quadriceps & biked downtown to avoid another ticket!

While I sympathize with Replacement, Monday was not a stat holiday, legally speaking.

The only case where a date other than July 1 is a designated an official stat holiday is when July 1 falls on a Sunday, at which point July 2 becomes the stat for Canada Day. There's no official recognition in the law for July 3 to be an official stat. Saturday was the legal holiday this year, not Monday.

Canada Day

• 2 (1) July 1, not being a Sunday, is a legal holiday and shall be kept and observed as such throughout Canada under the name of "Canada Day".

• When July 1 is a Sunday

(2) When July 1 is a Sunday, July 2 is a legal holiday and shall be kept and observed as such throughout Canada under the name of "Canada Day".

• R.S., c. H-7, s. 2;
    • 1980-81-82-83, c. 124, s. 1.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/H-5/page-1.html
    Just as example of the confusion and lack of hard and fast rule on Canada day in lieu stat;

http://www.statutoryholidays.com/canadaday.php

"Canada day in 2017 is on a Saturday. What day will you have off at work? Most people will get the following Monday off but some businesses may choose to give Friday off in lieu of Saturday."
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-07-2017 at 09:12 AM.

There is a hard & fast rule. It's called the law. It's what I posted, not some random .com site's interpretation thereof.

July 1 is a holiday unless it's on a Sunday, when it's just a regular Sunday & July 2 becomes the stat.

That's the rule, all of it, without ambiguity. Anything else is your own life/job/employer/whatever complicating things.

Actually with the Epark, I think payment requirements are a lot better conveyed.

The Epark machine will tell you if payment is required for the particular time you've arrived.
    So in your case Replacement, if you checked the machine, it would have said paid parking from 7am to 6pm

If we still had the old coin meters, one would not know whether we would have been required to pay.
    Canada Day is no different than Remembrance Day falling on a weekend. The Friday prior or Monday following isn't a stat. I've learned that from the coin meter days.

While I'm at it, on non-event nights, the machines say free parking from 6pm to 7am
    Yet I still see people adding money. I've stopped a few people, but some still pay and end up paying the portion from 7am to 9am the following morning...

Logically it would follow then that the epark machines, themselves, are incomplete and do not convey information sufficiently to avoid confusion.
    The machines themselves do convey stat holiday information when it's relevant. Like it was on Saturday, the stat holiday.

Perhaps you should have used your rippling, majestic quadriceps & biked downtown to avoid another ticket!
    haha. We considered biking DT but our normal path involves the pedestrian bridge into LMP that was torn down. I don't swim very well..

We considered ETS except it was nightmare Sunday service. As with many people we sometimes do something on impulse and the impulse given we had time after another activity was to go DT to the works which we knew was going on. Thus I hadn't checked prior, hadn't phoned 311 prior to see if it was event day which is honestly the only sub rule that I felt was relevant on the day. We inferred it was a no pay day due to it being a typical long weekend with the day off falling on Monday. It didn't occur to us mentally, that the M-F rule was in use on a day that was obviously a holiday (DT offices closed, traffic slight, hardly anybody around (Sunday volumes) which was immediately evident.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

(...).

...no...and it is really stupid that they don't. Pay-by-phone allows this, and you can even select the plate that you are parking. However, when I drive the wife's car, and I park in an ePark zone, I either have to text her to have it start on her account which sucks as she is either with a client or in court during the day...or park as a "guest" and pay more.

...and yes...the UI on this app is clunky, but simply fixing this silly one plate/one account glitch by simply allowing you to select from a dropdown or radio button...the plate you're parking is simple web 1.0. Frick, if you could do it on Netscape...

As for holidays...I always look at the app for this info, and you'd think that it wouldn't start the session if there is no payment required. Well...sometimes yes...sometimes no. I know I've paid twice for a parking session when I didn't need to. Now, it wasn't a huge charge, but annoying.
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Correct. However a friend I met for a coffee on Saturday had started the clock ticking within the app, and was surprised when I mentioned to him that I'd gone to a machine and realized it was a stat holiday. He canceled his session in the app, but I'm not sure if it still cost him a few bucks. So the app itself was seemingly not aware that it was a stat holiday.
    He didn't need to cancel it - the App starts a free session if it is a stat, it charges you if its not - I just by default whenever I park somewhere, just start a session, public holiday, Sunday, weekday, or not. Couldn't be simpler, I just put a few digits in my phone before I get out of the car. As to the "It was designed in Calgary so it sucks crowd", I don't care where it was designed, I just know its to me, incredibly easy to use, much better than the stupid old fashioned ones you put coins in (which would have taken your money on a public holiday). But hey, there is no pleasing everyone, even if there is a better system somewhere Replacement would be complaining, he has been since the old meters were proposed to be taken out.
    Last edited by moahunter; 04-07-2017 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    Actually with the Epark, I think payment requirements are a lot better conveyed.

The Epark machine will tell you if payment is required for the particular time you've arrived.
    So in your case Replacement, if you checked the machine, it would have said paid parking from 7am to 6pm

If we still had the old coin meters, one would not know whether we would have been required to pay.

While I'm at it, on non-event nights, the machines say free parking from 6pm to 7am
    Yet I still see people adding money. I've stopped a few people, but some still pay and end up paying the portion from 7am to 9am the following morning...
    I did actually check the machine. It did indicate something like 3.50./half hr. My mistake was in thinking that this is the only default display shown as I've also seen this displayed during free parking hours. For instance non event evenings. So what we did is cross tabulate that mentally with the street signage which conveys only M-S payment required. Such locations ate Sunday and Stat holiday free, which this one was. Just not on this particular day, despite it not being a work day..

I've never seen the machines at Citadel Theater say free parking in the evening. I have to question these type of comments as I've actually checked. The only feedback that no payment is required is after inputting licence plate and starting the transaction. Other patrons could verify this as well and the Citadel Theater had expressed similar concern on behalf of their patrons on the confusion. Perhaps this has been changed but it wasn't always the case that the information was displayed. Perhaps its not all uniform within the epark system either. Several people have arrived at Citadel Theater confused about payment as its 6pm (we arrive early) and the machines are still saying payment required even when it is not. That's frustrating because theres actually been lineups on non event free parking nights or even stat holiday nights of people waiting to pay or wondering if its required. (they since set up more of the epark machines to alleviate the lines. )

People are confused because the system is confused.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-07-2017 at 09:30 AM.

I did actually check the machine. It did indicate something like 3.50./half hr. My mistake was in thinking that this is the only display shown as I've also seen this displayed during free parking hours. For instance non event evenings. So what we did is cross tabulate that mentally with the street signage which conveys only M-S payment required. Such locations ate Sunday and Stat holiday free, which this one was.
    No. Saturday was the stat. Monday was your employer's day in lieu. You don't have a proper understanding of holidays as they apply to weekends. I suspect you've always been a Monday-Friday workweek sorta guy, so it's understandable. Not excusable, but understandable. Now you know the real info!

People are confused because the system is confused.
    It's not the system that's confused, just your own interpretation of what a "stat holiday" is. It's a statutory holiday.

stat·u·to·ry
    ˈstaCHəˌtôrē/
    adjective
    adjective: statutory

• required, permitted, or enacted by statute.
      "the courts did award statutory damages to each of the plaintiffs"
    I literally linked you the statute, which is exceedingly clear. Saturday was the stat holiday, not Monday.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike
    Canada Day is no different than Remembrance Day falling on a weekend. The Friday prior or Monday following isn't a stat. I've learned that from the coin meter days.

Thanks, I was trying to remember the other stat that can fall on a weekend and lead to this confusion but drew a blank. I'm almost positive there was a thread here from a few years ago, prior to ePark, where the same thing happened and a bunch of people got tickets. Whether it was in November or July, I don't recall.

Thanks.

But heres a dilemma. The COE wants Edmontonians to Celebrate events on the Holiday long weekend. The City wants people to come DT. So silly enough, and I blame momentary lapse of reason for this, is we impulsively decide. Well lets drive DT. We arrive to a Sunday ghost town. Obviously not a work day. NO workers in site, nobody working DT on the day. people having the day off.

All of the events and places are wanting people to come DT. Works was practically empty, not more than 100 people there, the volunteers were all bored silly with nothing to do and barely anybody checking out the exhibits. They're wondering where the people are on a long weekend and the City is considering this a pay parking day even though conceptually people could think of it as a stat and DO think of it as a long weekend.

I guess the city has to decide if its more important to have people visit the DT on a day off or collect the parking fare.

In anycase this is once again one trial learning, that being I won't venture DT for awhile again until Citadel Theater season is up and running in the fall. Although technically that's not in the fall..

Canada Day is the only stat holiday (either provincial or federal) that has any long weekend provisions built into it. Everything else falls where it falls, but Thanksgiving, Good Friday, Labour Day, Victoria Day, & Family Day are all day-specific in implementation (likewise Easter Monday or Heritage Day, neither of which are stats).

Thanks.

But heres a dilemma. The COE wants Edmontonians to Celebrate events on the Holiday long weekend.
    Wasn't a holiday long weekend, as July 1 didn't fall on a Sunday this year.

The City wants people to come DT. So silly enough, and I blame momentary lapse of reason for this, is we impulsively decide. Well lets drive DT. We arrive to a Sunday ghost town. Obviously not a work day. NO workers in site, nobody working DT on the day. people having the day off.
    2/3 of my friends who work Downtown were busily working away yesterday, thanks to accounting waiting for no man.

It wasn't a long weekend, not like the May long weekend, or the August long weekend, since the statutory holiday fell on the Saturday.

I get that you thought it was a statutory long weekend, rather than a common day in lieu, but your thoughts aren't reality. Thank goodness. And now you've learned all about how holidays actually work! TAH DAH!

Thanks.

But heres a dilemma. The COE wants Edmontonians to Celebrate events on the Holiday long weekend. The City wants people to come DT. So silly enough, and I blame momentary lapse of reason for this, is we impulsively decide. Well lets drive DT. We arrive to a Sunday ghost town. Obviously not a work day. NO workers in site, nobody working DT on the day. people having the day off.

All of the events and places are wanting people to come DT. Works was practically empty, not more than 100 people there, the volunteers were all bored silly with nothing to do and barely anybody checking out the exhibits. They're wondering where the people are on a long weekend and the City is considering this a pay parking day even though conceptually people could think of it as a stat and DO think of it as a long weekend.

I guess the city has to decide if its more important to have people visit the DT on a day off or collect the parking fare.

In anycase this is once again one trial learning, that being I won't venture DT for awhile again until Citadel Theater season is up and running in the fall. Although technically that's not in the fall..

Even when we move from Edmonton, well be there for the Citadel and the winspear. Both are beautiful buildings, the art gallery, meh, not so much

Yup, epark for all the hype the C of E work it up to be it still can't be programmed to say 'Today you don't have to pay'. I hate canpark but would still rather park in one of their lots than epark. At least is you have an hour or more left on your canpark ticket and you are leaving you can give it to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Yup, epark for all the hype the C of E work it up to be it still can't be programmed to say 'Today you don't have to pay'.
    It was abundantly clear on the stat holiday that you didn't have to pay. I walked past a bunch of e-park machines on Saturday that said as much. They didn't say you didn't have to pay on Monday, however, because Monday wasn't a statutory holiday, just a common day in lieu.

The powers to be at city hall are too busy thinking of ways to nickel and dime the public to even think of giving the public a break on 'in lieu' days. Maybe twice a year they would have to do this. C of E finding 101 ways to fleece the public.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Yup, epark for all the hype the C of E work it up to be it still can't be programmed to say 'Today you don't have to pay'.
    It was abundantly clear on the stat holiday that you didn't have to pay. I walked past a bunch of e-park machines on Saturday that said as much. They didn't say you didn't have to pay on Monday, however, because Monday wasn't a statutory holiday, just a common day in lieu.

Maybe I am reading it wrong, but I think Gemini was referring to the app...which most definitely does NOT display that info. What it does instead is refuse to start your parking session.
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

I try and avoid giving Gemini any credit, as it's rarely been a wise investment, but I can see your point.

The powers to be at city hall are too busy thinking of ways to nickel and dime the public to even think of giving the public a break on 'in lieu' days. Maybe twice a year they would have to do this. C of E finding 101 ways to fleece the public.
    So today I asked the epark rep I spoke with re: the ticket whether she thought it was good policy for epark to pay people to go around ticketing people just wanting to enjoy their stat in lieu day off? I asked if its reasonable on a day where COE employees are off, and where epark employees had the day off in lieu as well whether it was advisable policy to pay ticketmeter people extra to hand out tickets on these days. She was a bit speechless on that one and would not disclose whether epark staffers that were working yesterday were paid extra, or even why they were working when the epark office itself was closed due to the stat and that epark had that day in lieu of the stat, yesterday, for their staff.

I had to explain the humor and irony to both COE and epark staff that its a bit silly that its a stat day off for them, yet its treated as a regular day, not a day off, in parking pay and infractions. When one works for a bureaucracy perhaps one is not predisposed to irony and humor.

Its all strange.

In other cities, when you key in your spot number, it will advise you of the rate or if it is free parking or that there is no parking allowed due to rush hour or parking bans.

You know, intelligent parking meters.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I work both a Monday to Friday full-time job, and and an evening and weekend part time job, so I actually experience having a day off in lieu of the stat for my full time job, and getting paid for working the stat on the Saturday, as I was working on Canada Day on my part time position. I can understand the point of view of Monday to Friday people expecting the stat to be the Monday, including the admin staff for the e-park people. For the part time people, Monday's just another work day, and that includes the parking enforcement personnel. Is the city going to compensate the enforcement staff for another enforced day off if they rule Monday as a pseudo-stat for parking, or would they make you everyone pay on Saturday, even if that was the stat? From a downtown friendliness perspective, you could have both Saturday and Monday count as stats, but someone would have to pay for the missed day for the parking staff, and it aint going to be the enforcement company. If the City, and by extension, us as taxpayers, want to pay for it for public relations, then by all means go for it. Otherwise, normal stat rules should apply.

So today I asked the epark rep I spoke with re: the ticket whether she thought it was good policy for epark to pay people to go around ticketing people just wanting to enjoy their stat in lieu day off? I asked if its reasonable on a day where COE employees are off, and where epark employees had the day off in lieu as well whether it was advisable policy to pay ticketmeter people extra to hand out tickets on these days. She was a bit speechless on that one and would not disclose whether epark staffers that were working yesterday were paid extra, or even why they were working when the epark office itself was closed due to the stat and that epark had that day in lieu of the stat, yesterday, for their staff.

I had to explain the humor and irony to both COE and epark staff that its a bit silly that its a stat day off for them, yet its treated as a regular day, not a day off, in parking pay and infractions. When one works for a bureaucracy perhaps one is not predisposed to irony and humor.

Its all strange.
    So what did the epark rep say about the ticket? Did she suggest you appeal it?

I am sure they will rip up the ticket and forgive you since you do have a logical case. If not, as you threatened, you can be the next local media darling.

But the point is the ticket shouldn't been issued in the first place and you shouldn't jump through hoops to erase a $50 fine.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    But the point is the ticket shouldn't been issued in the first place and you shouldn't jump through hoops to erase a $50 fine.
    No, the ticket is entirely valid. Saturday was the stat holiday, Replacement didn't pay for parking & deserves to be fined for his failure, as innocent as his ignorance may be. Good intentions aren't valid excuses.

No, the ticket is entirely valid. Saturday was the stat holiday, Replacement didn't pay for parking & deserves to be fined for his failure, as innocent as his ignorance may be. Good intentions aren't valid excuses.
    I know your point about the legal definition of the stat holiday.

But how about the city show some good intentions itself. On a holiday weekend when governments offered free admission to city attractions or folks can go fishing without a license etc, can't the city of Edmonton offer free parking? It's not like downtown parking spaces are jammed pack with vehicles on a Monday "in lieu" of the stat.

Replacement's beef is that most people would assume Monday is a stat. Doesn't matter whether people get the day off or are paid time and a half working. Monday was not a normal working day and the city should of considered that.

When is the next statutory holiday? Give you a hint...it's in September.

So on the first Monday of August when everyone is at Hawrelak Park for Heritage Days or in Camrose for the Jamboree or doing whatever out of town.....make sure you put money in the parking meter when you park downtown. You don't want to get a parking ticket!

See how stupid that sounds?
    Last edited by North Guy66; 04-07-2017 at 01:21 PM.

Its all strange.
    So what did the epark rep say about the ticket? Did she suggest you appeal it?

I am sure they will rip up the ticket and forgive you since you do have a logical case. If not, as you threatened, you can be the next local media darling.

The suggestion was that I wait for the violation ticket to be mailed out after ignoring this ticket. The violation ticket, I was insured, would be the same amount, no late payment or penalty fee attached and that one can be appealed. From what I've heard though I'm not too hopeful.

Thing is had we thought we would have to pay 10bucks to go DT yesterday we wouldn't even have ventured there as I have to say the experience DT isn't generally worth it. But to have to pay 50 bucks on top of what we paid already for food. nah, not a good experience.

But heres the kicker. Its not even a matter of paying 10bucks on a day where there is zero parking demand DT. (almost all spots were empty) They're expecting you to pay 3.50 half hr on a day where parking demand is non existent. If I had paid, that's what it would cost. That's right off the charts unreasonable.

Meanwhile at the Works festival nothing but wonder expressed by volunteers about why hardly anybody was DT taking it in. All the Trucks Food Vendors were hurting for action. Basically making no business. No lineup for any of them, all of them not serving any customers most of the time.

Well, this is the DT that is wanted I guess by COE. Its not for me.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-07-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Typical of this crop at C of E. Penny wise and pound foolish. Throw thousands away on one off 'designer' projects that usually have a shelf life of 12 minutes then bleed the taxpayers because they don't have a clue how to budget their cash flow. No free parking as we have to put more bike lanes downtown so that the 3 people per day who use them have plenty of room to zoom zoom zoom.

So on the first Monday of August when everyone is at Hawrelak Park for Heritage Days or in Camrose for the Jamboree or doing whatever out of town.....make sure you put money in the parking meter when you park downtown. You don't want to get a parking ticket!

Well, the August long weekend isn't a stat or general holiday, but Labour Day certainly is. Both of them differ from Canada Day by virtue of them being fixed to a calendar day, not date & as such can't fall on a Saturday (or any day but a Monday), making this entire scenario moot as it applies to them.

Really, you picked spectacularly bad examples & that's why what you said sounds stupid, mostly due to your own ignorance.

^ My point is instead of having everyone like yourself pulling up files from websites to see the technicality of what constitutes a statutory holiday, why don't the city make it simple for everyone?

If the banks are closed on a weekday, it is considered a holiday. Then everyone gets to park for free.

Don't have to mess with the stat holiday overlords.

I know your point about the legal definition of the stat holiday.

But how about the city show some good intentions itself. On a holiday weekend when governments offered free admission to city attractions or folks can go fishing without a license etc, can't the city of Edmonton offer free parking? It's not like downtown parking spaces are jammed pack with vehicles on a Monday "in lieu" of the stat.

Replacement's beef is that most people would assume Monday is a stat. Doesn't matter whether people get the day off or are paid time and a half working. Monday was not a normal working day and the city should of considered that.

When is the next statutory holiday? Give you a hint...it's in September.

Thanks for expanding on the sentiment. I touched on it as well, that free parking on a long weekend wouldn't be a bad thing for the city to offer its residents. Its unreasonable for epark to charge the same rates they would for any M-F when this was a day off for most, the DT was largely empty, tons of parking available, and no demand. Thus the price not being warranted. One would think at least a park all day 5 bucks or something rate could apply when parking demand is approaching zero on non work days.

^ My point is instead of having everyone like yourself pulling up files from websites to see the technicality of what constitutes a statutory holiday, why don't the city make it simple for everyone?

If the banks are closed on a weekday, it is considered a holiday. Then everyone gets to park for free.

Don't have to mess with the stat holiday overlords.
    I didn't have to pull up a website for myself, only to educate the rest of you. I've known what constitutes a stat & general holiday my entire working life.

Damn statutes, getting in the way of statutory holidays!

It.
    Wasn't.
    A.
    Long.
    Weekend.
    For.
    Everyone.
    Because.
    The.
    Stat.
    Fell.
    On.
    Saturday.

All the C of E should do is when Canada Day and Remembrance Day fall on a weekend and they give their employees a day of in lieu (be it Friday or Monday) they should sync their parking accordingly. I'm not sure if they paid their parking meter readers time and a half or even double time for working the 'in liue' day but if they did it's would be one more of their stupid initiatives.

^
    Parking meter enforcement employees are hourly employees, so they'd be paid normally for working Monday, as the stat was on the Saturday. If the city of Edmonton changed the parking rules so that parking was free on the day in lieu of, instead of the stat, then you'd be paying stat rate pay for them to work on the stat to work on Saturday, as I got a Save-On for working on Saturday. I'm sure the parking enforcement people would rather work the Saturday at higher rate and have Monday off, but someone would be legally obliged to pay them the stat rate if that were the case.

We're talking with perception of reality versus the hard fabric of reality. Perception shapes reality, so full-time employees expect the parking should be free on their day off. The legality of it not being a stat is irrelevant, since they are perceiving a day off. If the city of Edmonton wants to follow the "perceived" day off instead of the legal day off, that is their option. Legally, they will have to pay stat pay if they want to enforce parking on the Saturday stat, instead of the Monday day-in lieu of. Or they could say parking is free on both the legal stat and the perceived stat, or all long weekend long, to encourage people to come downtown on the long weekend. In that case, someone will have to pay the enforcement staff for the day of work they may or may not be forced to miss. When you're living on the hourly wage, every shift counts, so its only fair that someone pays that day if its mandated to be taken away from the workers.

how about we just make it free parking all the time? Then we don't have to remember or lookup anything at all...

(or perhaps we could've just went to the epark machine... and read what it said... and this thread wouldn't even be needed)

^Wow, your making this way more complicated than it need be. A lot of people had Monday off in lieu of the Saturday. If the C of E wants to be perceived as trying to get people downtown for occasions like The Works etc. they should maybe act like they give a chit and on those two (sometimes) days when Canada & Remembrance days fall on weekends and the day of in lieu is either Friday or Monday the C of E should make the Friday or Saturday a free parking day. They can sort the rest out with their parking meter readers. Either give them the day off, pay them or let them take time off another day.

^Wow, your making this way more complicated than it need be. A lot of people had Monday off in lieu of the Saturday. If the C of E wants to be perceived as trying to get people downtown for occasions like The Works etc. they should maybe act like they give a chit and on those two (sometimes) days when Canada & Remembrance days fall on weekends and the day of in lieu is either Friday or Monday the C of E should make the Friday or Saturday a free parking day. They can sort the rest out with their parking meter readers. Either give them the day off, pay them or let them take time off another day.
    I am not sure if the city is incompetent, greedy or just doesn't give a damn - perhaps it's some combination of all three. The current bunch seems to have an uncanny ability to inflict the maximum inconvenience on citizens.

The only thing they still seem to be able to do is to issue fines. It would seem parking rules should be straight forward, like free after 6 pm and on statutory holidays, but they have managed to screw that up big time too. Now you have to figure out if it is an "event night" and then if you are in the zone covered by that and now apparently the city's definition of a holiday is different than everyone else?

Also, it usually gets me two to three tries to get those machines to work (if I can find the one that is usually about a block away from where I am parked and if I am lucky I don't have to wait for someone in front of me probably having the same problems as me) then put in license and possibly zone info. It takes about 5 extra minutes to do all that vs. plugging a meter and going.

I have an idea - if the city really wants to enforce parking on holidays, then they should get the mayor and council to do it themselves. Maybe if they get out of their cosseted offices, they will realize what a pain in the butt and what a mess has been created.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I am not sure if the city is incompetent, greedy or just doesn't give a damn - perhaps it's some combination of all three. The current bunch seems to have an uncanny ability to inflict the maximum inconvenience on citizens.

The only thing they still seem to be able to do is to issue fines. It would seem parking rules should be straight forward, like free after 6 pm and on statutory holidays, but they have managed to screw that up big time too. Now you have to figure out if it is an "event night" and then if you are in the zone covered by that and now apparently the city's definition of a holiday is different than everyone else?
    The city is following the Federal statutes for a statutory holiday. It's not their own interpretation. It's literally the law.

^
    The law is in regards to employment days off and wages. How the city applies its parking is its business. It can follow the legal or perceived day off in regards to parking, but has to adhere to the law in regards to paying parking enforcement personnel.

But the City's definition isn't "different than everyone else", which is my point. They chose to follow the letter of the law, not make up something out of thin air.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    ^
    The law is in regards to employment days off and wages. How the city applies its parking is its business. It can follow the legal or perceived day off in regards to parking, but has to adhere to the law in regards to paying parking enforcement personnel.
    Well pay their staff what they are legally in entitled to but give the public a break on the parking on a day off in lieu day. The parking meters not going to care. It's not unionized (at least not yet).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post

The city is following the Federal statutes for a statutory holiday. It's not their own interpretation. It's literally the law.
    Oh I see, the city is right and the rest of the world is wrong for thinking or acting like it is a holiday. Actually, it's really just another way for them to fleece unsuspecting citizens which is why most people have less and less respect for the weaselly city ways, which I think I referred to earlier as greedy.

Yes, let's encourage people to come downtown on their day off so we can hit the unsuspecting rubes with a big fat parking ticket. It is so ironic that most of the city employees get the day off, except for parking enforcement.

But the City's definition isn't "different than everyone else", which is my point. They chose to follow the letter of the law, not make up something out of thin air.
    Well, the city can choose to enforce its own rules however it wants. The fact that it gives most of its employees the day off indicates to me it is a holiday.
    If it walks like a duck and quacks, maybe call it a duck. A non holiday, holiday - another genius idea from the City of Edmonton. Are these people insane?

It very may have been a holiday for many people, but July 3 wasn't a statutory holiday for anyone.

^Now your just splitting hairs. July 3rd. may not have been the actual holiday but it was a day off in lieu of a statutory holiday. Having no choice the C of E and the rest of Canada had to do this. The C of E did not have to charge people for parking on that day though. Could of, in good faith (as if) gave people who had that day off a break.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Although it's likely that some enterprising beat reporter is following this thread, has anyone given thought to taking this up with the media? I'm thinking Paula Simons with the Journal and Vinesh Pratep with Global for starters.

edit: never mind, Replacement mentioned going to the press in his first post.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 04-07-2017 at 04:15 PM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

It very may have been a holiday for many people, but July 3 wasn't a statutory holiday for anyone.
    Any excuse for the city to rip off its citizens even more. Shameful !!

Only thing shameful here is people trying to use their own ignorance or stubbornness as an excuse for their own actions. It's like Replacement's speeding ticket thread last week where he blamed everything except his own choices & actions for his ticket.

Saturday was the stat holiday: Fact.
    Parking is free on stat holidays: Fact.
    Parking was free on Saturday: Fact.
    Monday was the common day in lieu of the stat holiday: Fact
    Monday was not, however, any sort of officially government recognized or otherwise regulated holiday: Fact
    Parking was not free on Monday: Fact
    Replacement ignored the little signs and/or the screens on the kiosks themselves that indicated parking was regular rate: Fact

Wanna feel bad about having to pay for parking on Monday? Sure, I can understand that. But that's what, $5? The 10-fold-increase that Replacement earned himself by not knowing the facts & faulty assumptions are entirely on him. Another case of Replacement feeling he knows better but having it bite him in the ***, won't be the last I'm sure. Can hardly wait to see whatever other infractions he'll blame on everything except himself.

Only thing shameful here is people trying to use their own ignorance or stubbornness as an excuse for their own actions. It's like Replacement's speeding ticket thread last week where he blamed everything except his own choices & actions for his ticket.

Monday was not, however, any sort of officially government recognized or otherwise regulated holiday: Fact
    Replacement ignored the little signs and/or the screens on the kiosks themselves that indicated parking was regular rate: Fact

Wanna feel bad about having to pay for parking on Monday? Sure, I can understand that. But that's what, $5? The 10-fold-increase that Replacement earned himself by not knowing the facts & faulty assumptions are entirely on him. Another case of Replacement feeling he knows better but having it bite him in the ***, won't be the last I'm sure. Can hardly wait to see whatever other infractions he'll blame on everything except himself.
    Well it is great you are so knowledgeable of all the facts, but what steps did the city take to avoid the confusion that seems apparent to most of the rest of us arising from this apparent non holiday, holiday. Did they run any ads on radio, tv, in newspapers or elsewhere informing people that the city regular parking rates would apply even though it was a holiday for most people? Or did they just take advantage of the confusion to fleece people?

It seems they did the later, for which I add a lack of caring to the greed I mentioned earlier. I would have a bit more respect for the city if it made an effort to address the confusion beforehand rather than just explain it after.

Ok to summarize:

-The thread title unfairly targets the e-park system.
    -This has been a problem since the coin meter days
    -Best practice is to look at the e-park machine for the zone you're parked in and check if it says free parking (take a photo of the screen if necessary if you're paranoid)
    -Write a letter to your city councillor to advocate for free parking on in-lieu of days due to holidays and remove this "confusion".

We're just going in circles.

This will happen again Nov.13, 2017
    If you feel the practice is unjust, then try to reach out to the correct authority.

Hmmm. Either this is an elaborate, nefarious, sinister plot to squeeze a few Edmontonians (since it wasn't busy according to Replacement) out of FIFTY WHOLE BUCKS at a time, or a bunch of C2E posters don't understand what the definition of a Statutory Holiday is & how it relates to very simple statement of "Free Parking on Sundays & Statutory Holidays".

Hmmm. Complex evil plot vs people being ignorant morons. Never ascribe to malice what can be explained by stupidity. I'm gonna go with the latter & Replacement getting a stinging remedial lesson in basic civic concepts.
    Last edited by noodle; 04-07-2017 at 05:13 PM. Reason: accidentally a a word

Ok to summarize:

-Best practice is to look at the e-park machine for the zone you're parked in and check if it says free parking (take a photo of the screen if necessary if you're paranoid)
    -Write a letter to your city councillor to advocate for free parking on in-lieu of days due to holidays and remove this "confusion".

We're just going in circles.

This will happen again Nov.13, 2017
    If you feel the practice is unjust, then try to reach out to the correct authority.
    Well nobody likes the surprise of a parking ticket on a holiday. It seems particularly ludicrous given the purpose of having paid parking downtown is so during busy week days, people do not hog spaces too long, or if they do they pay accordingly. Given there is much less demand on a holiday, it therefore seems to make sense the ONLY reason to enforce paid parking on these days is to generate money for the city (back to GREED remember?) from unsuspecting citizens who do not realize the city and most the rest of the world have a different idea of holidays.

Now, I could be wrong. It could be just plain incompetence. Perhaps all most city employees were too busy planning their own "non holiday" holiday late in June to think about this issue. However, I don't get the sense the city cares much about justice or its citizens which is why you get all these comments here. There is a lot of frustration about many civic issues.

I am actually hoping I am wrong about this and I challenge the city to prove me wrong - prove that they actually do give a damn.

(Highlighted by me)

You may wanna look into that a bit further. Monday July 3rd. 2017 is by default recognized as a holiday by all three levels of Government.

7. What happens if a general holiday falls on a non-working day?

If New Year's Day, Canada Day, Remembrance Day, Christmas Day, or Boxing Day falls on a Sunday or Saturday that is a non-working day for an employee, the employee is entitled to a holiday with pay on the working day immediately preceding or following the general holiday. If one of the other general holidays not listed above falls on a non-working day, then a holiday with pay may be added to the employee's annual vacation or granted at another mutually convenient time.
    https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...able=true#h2.7

So the five days of statutory holidays mentioned above must be taken in lieu on the first working day after the weekend if they happen to fall on a Saturday or Sunday (if they are non-working days for employees). If a holiday that is not listed above falls on a non-working day it can be taken at another convenient time or added to annual vacation time. Monday was recognized as an official day off by government(s), it had to be as they had no choice in the matter. The only thing the C of E does not seem to get is the 'in lieu' part and any goodwill for the 'Happy Canada 150 Birthday' celebration.
    Re: Fed. Government does not use the term 'statutory' in this instance, used the work 'general' instead.
    Last edited by Gemini; 04-07-2017 at 06:07 PM.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Hmmm. Either this is an elaborate, nefarious, sinister plot to squeeze a few Edmontonians (since it wasn't busy according to Replacement) out of FIFTY WHOLE BUCKS at a time, or a bunch of C2E posters don't understand what the definition of a Statutory Holiday is & how it relates to very simple statement of "Free Parking on Sundays & Statutory Holidays".

Hmmm. Complex evil plot vs people being ignorant morons. Never ascribe to malice what can be explained by stupidity. I'm gonna go with the latter & Replacement getting a stinging remedial lesson in basic civic concepts.

Boom. There it is. The mighty noodle has spoken. He/she/it/zir is just smarter and better. It must be hard being so perfect all the time. Very sad.

I am surprised you did not bring up that "in Sweden they pay $50 an hour to park etc etc.."

C2E Hard Core Contributor

It was purchased from Calgary. Maybe the city should have developed its own or bought from a more urban city.

Ok to summarize:

I think this is a very fair summary. I had some confusion about paying for parking on both July 1 (due to the Rogers Place event) and July 3 (due to the uncertainty over whether or not the CoE was considering the day a 'holiday'). Both were resolved by physically walking up to the e-park machine and confirming one way or the other. I, too, was a bit grumbly about having to pay on Monday, given that DT was mostly dead and parking was not exactly in demand, but I sucked it up and coughed up the $2. I might have made the wrong assumption back in the coin meter days.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Ok to summarize:

I think this is a very fair summary. I had some confusion about paying for parking on both July 1 (due to the Rogers Place event) and July 3 (due to the uncertainty over whether or not the CoE was considering the day a 'holiday'). Both were resolved by physically walking up to the e-park machine and confirming one way or the other. I, too, was a bit grumbly about having to pay on Monday, given that DT was mostly dead and parking was not exactly in demand, but I sucked it up and coughed up the $2. I might have made the wrong assumption back in the coin meter days.
    I think there are several issues here and I agree the machines have the potential to be better than the meters in dealing with odd days like July 3rd, which most of us thought was actually a holiday but apparently not for city parking purposes. I think it would require a very clear message on the screen such as "July 3 is not a city statutory holiday, regular rates in effect today", rather than just some default rates message.

Perhaps my bigger beef is with how the city runs the downtown parking system, rather than just the machines themselves. If it is a general holiday and there is no shortage of spots, why is the city enforcing paid parking that day? Do they actually want to discourage people from coming downtown are they so desperate for a cash cow that they need to ticket people who mistakenly don't pay on that particular day because they are under the assumption it is a holiday? Now perhaps it is a case of the city not thinking things through or just not caring, rather than just greed, but any ways it is not a good thing.

FWIW the parking meters on the UofA campus didn't consider Monday a statutory holiday either.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Just a few points that maybe people didn't see to expand on my OP and reply to some questions.

1) Yes I did check the epark machine. It stated 3.50 half hr as it ALWAYS has any time I've walked up to one (haven't been dt in months and haven't parked at a meter DT for much longer than that) Being that I'm from the suburbs and my interest in paying heavily to visit the DT is decreasing there is no way for me to know that the epark machines now correctly display the requirement for any given day. This was not always the case. I have seen these machines state 3.50/ half hr on evenings and on stat holidays before, and AT the Library/Citadel Theater parkade. Myself and other patrons had complained about this. This actually led to the Citadel Theater informing all members that parking for the evening was actually now 10 bucks, not 3.50/half hour as the machines indicated. It wasn't until you typed in your plate that the correct fare would be displayed for the evening. Even if it was zero(on stats that are not event nights) it made you go through this process. In which case there was no charge entered to your card.

2) My take was that the meter was wrong, perhaps the city didn't make whatever day to day adjustment I thought. I couldn't believe the COE would be expecting people to pay full M-F parking fare on a day that was not a work day for most people, and on a day that was part of the Canada Day long weekend. My mistake was in thinking that surely the City would not expect this nature of fare on a non workday and that certainly they wouldn't be actively ticketing people on what was a day off for most people enjoying their Canada Day long weekend. Clearly I'm wrong on both counts but that was the in the moment thought process in sweltering heat and just wanting to hit up a coffee or some refreshment. Honestly, not in my wildest dreams did I think the city would be expecting fare on this day, enforcing on this day, and handing out parking tickets on this day, on a weekend for the nation to celebrate, and attend celebrations. Wrong again.

3) Noodle raised something earier that caused me further reflection. Yes, I did recently complain about a speeding ticket where I was going 8km/hr over in an 80 zone. I felt it unfortunate that no reasonable buffer is provided and complained that its hard to see the speedometer while driving directly into the sunrise at 6am. Now this episode and I'm left with the impression that in this city now there is no buffer, there is no grace, there is no warning, there is no sense of reasonable enforcement, its hit us up with a ticket for any infraction or perceived infraction and that this is the punitive nature of this City enforced now. I'm not a criminal, I'm not attempting to get away with **** as Iveson would suggest. (his actual past statement regarding people complaining about enforcement) I'm actually very law abiding in intent and have never had any legal charges my entire life, I have zero demerits, I get maybe one parking ticket every couple of years and always the minimal speeding margin etc. In short I'm about as strait an arrow, typically, that there is, and I'm getting dinged repeatedly this past couple weeks. I'm not sure that I re-evaluate anything except that the City is increasingly showing itself to operate increasingly punitively. That's unfortunate.

4) In fairness to my thread I haven't stated such token terms as "cash cow" and the like, I've merely questioned, and raised concern (that most here have shared) about why their city is exacting this kind of pound of flesh letter of the law. I should mention that the ticket was issued within an hour of having parked in the spot. The other vehicles on the street with tickets probably hadn't been there long either as the street was mostly empty of vehicles when we arrived.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-07-2017 at 08:27 PM.

(Highlighted by me)

You may wanna look into that a bit further. Monday July 3rd. 2017 is by default recognized as a holiday by all three levels of Government.

If New Year's Day, Canada Day, Remembrance Day, Christmas Day, or Boxing Day falls on a Sunday or Saturday that is a non-working day for an employee, the employee is entitled to a holiday with pay on the working day immediately preceding or following the general holiday. If one of the other general holidays not listed above falls on a non-working day, then a holiday with pay may be added to the employee's annual vacation or granted at another mutually convenient time.

So the five days of statutory holidays mentioned above must be taken in lieu on the first working day after the weekend if they happen to fall on a Saturday or Sunday (if they are non-working days for employees). If a holiday that is not listed above falls on a non-working day it can be taken at another convenient time or added to annual vacation time. Monday was recognized as an official day off by government(s), it had to be as they had no choice in the matter. The only thing the C of E does not seem to get is the 'in lieu' part and any goodwill for the 'Happy Canada 150 Birthday' celebration.
    Re: Fed. Government does not use the term 'statutory' in this instance, used the work 'general' instead.
    How do you come up with the statement that I bolded from what I am guessing you quoted from your link? It says the employer may give the person a day off with pay the working day before or after the general holiday. So should the city be giving free parking on the Friday before Canada Day because some people might have that off?

I went to the Eskimos game on Friday night. A game that started at 8:00 pm. I park at the Belvedere LRT station. The first two rows are reserved for paying parking customers during weekdays. Most of the signage doesn't say what the paid parking hours are. The result of the signage not being clear is that almost no one parked in those two rows. Why? Because most people didn't know if they had to pay to park there so they didn't.

It seems some people just want to whine about anything that the city does.

Ok to summarize:

How could your parking be 2 dollars. I'm missing something here. Our meter was saying 3.50/half hour. Where are the lower rates. We even parked south of Jasper Avenue further from the Arena and such as people have suggested. Where on Earth can one park DT for 2 dollars. maybe we need a parking fare saver thread again.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post

(Highlighted by me)

How do you come up with the statement that I bolded from what I am guessing you quoted from your link? It says the employer may give the person a day off with pay the working day before or after the general holiday. So should the city be giving free parking on the Friday before Canada Day because some people might have that off?

I went to the Eskimos game on Friday night. A game that started at 8:00 pm. I park at the Belvedere LRT station. The first two rows are reserved for paying parking customers during weekdays. Most of the signage doesn't say what the paid parking hours are. The result of the signage not being clear is that almost no one parked in those two rows. Why? Because most people didn't know if they had to pay to park there so they didn't.

Or people are whining about a city that is ineffective, behind, not diligent on almost anything but that when it comes to ticketing, fines, or tariffs they never miss a beat.

This is not of my imagining. people rarely if ever had been getting less than 10Km speeding tickets prior to the Iveson administration. Now they are common place. Theres been stats on that released before. That the buffer is essentially gone. Iveson had even stated afairc that there should be no buffer.

Zero tolerance punitive application in other words. Not kind, not benevolent and probably not helpful.

These are the kinds of things that give visitors, especially a good or bad impression of a cities application of bylaws and ticketing.

It's $3.50 an hour, Monday-Friday. $1/hr on Saturdays. It's been this way for years now. I have absolutely no idea where you would have to pay $3.50 for a half hour of street parking downtown. The city doesn't even list that as a possible rate on their fare page: https://www.edmonton.ca/transportati...ing-rates.aspx

Are you positive that you read the machine closely and carefully?

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    FWIW the parking meters on the UofA campus didn't consider Monday a statutory holiday either.
    The parking meters at U of A don't consider anything. Evening, holiday, Sunday, Spring Summer, whatever, as far as I recall. They always have the highest rates from what I've seen. I don't know that they ever deviate at all.

I stopped trying to park anywhere around U of A years ago.

It's $3.50 an hour, Monday-Friday. $1/hr on Saturdays. It's been this way for years now. I have absolutely no idea where you would have to pay $3.50 for a half hour of street parking downtown. The city doesn't even list that as a possible rate on their fare page: https://www.edmonton.ca/transportati...ing-rates.aspx

Are you positive that you read the machine closely and carefully?
    I can hardly read the barely legible machines in the bright sunshine. I also was wearing my prescription tinted glasses. I have a -11 prescription in both eyes. if I take those off I can't see anything beyond blurry. The combination of which makes it difficult to read the epark display. Many people have complained about the legibility of these things in the sun. Myself and the wife thought it said 3.50/half hour. we're both at an age where clearly presbyopia has taken hold. With me its been diagnosed.

if its typically $1/hr on Saturdays (news to me and have never seen that offered anywhere in the DT) then why wasn't it $1/hr on a non work Monday? One would expect the same right. No, the City, and epark didn't in any way differentiate this Monday (contained in a 150 celebration Canada Day holiday long weekend) from any other Monday. Which is odd at best.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-07-2017 at 08:54 PM.

Now I'm going to mention parking technology 101 again as I don't in anyway comprehend the information this parking map shows me.

https://www.edmonton.ca/transportati...ark-zones.aspx

It states it shows the rate information for each zone. i'm not seeing that displayed at all. i'm seeing a very noisy graphic loaded with bars and the interface is hard to use. I'm not computer proficient, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to access the information on rates from the map or page.

people that grew up with computers would likely not comprehend any difficulty ascertaining information from these kinds of displays. To someone not computer adept its overwhelming.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-07-2017 at 08:57 PM.

Heres another memo from our friendly city.

https://www.edmonton.ca/transportati...anada-day.aspx

you too can be tagged and towed on your holiday Canada Day unless you happen to check the city all the time for memos. Happy Canada Day all...

I wonder how many people were tagged and towed this time? I wonder why the need for parking bans on Whyte Avenue and area, which prior to a few years ago were rarely if ever done.

Is your City getting more punitive, more about enforcement, more controlling?

What if any precedent nessessitated parking bans in the Whyte Avenue area?

Is this progress or just increased control measures?

I remember a city that wasn't like this. I certainly remember a city where it would be rare to find parking bans anywhere but the DT unless in blizzard snow removal conditions.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-07-2017 at 09:17 PM.

Help? anybody? I've spent the last half hour playing with this silly map.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...271313327&z=16

James had suggested there are 2buck/hr parking zones in the DT. what I've figured out so far is that without a rate legend or specific rate information being offered on the map I have to zoom into and click on each individual parking cell to find the rate. This needle in a haystack display has resulted in me finding 90% 3.50 zones, a couple 3 buck zones and zero 2 buck zones.

Wouldn't a more user friendly map simply allow you to select a fare type and see where those are? Almost any interactive map or information display allows you to select information categories to display. I'm not understanding if its available with this or if I should be looking elsewhere.

I wonder how many people are entirely overwhelmed with the present epark system and just avoid the DT now.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-07-2017 at 09:18 PM.

James had suggested there are 2buck/hr parking zones in the DT. what I've figured out so far is that without a rate legend or specific rate information being offered on the map I have to zoom into and click on each individual parking cell to find the rate. This needle in a haystack display has resulted in me finding 90% 3.50 zones, a couple 3 buck zones and zero 2 buck zones.
    No, no; not at all what I was trying to suggest. I merely paid $2 because all I needed was about half an hour of parking to run a short errand.

The parking meters at U of A don't consider anything. Evening, holiday, Sunday, Spring Summer, whatever, as far as I recall. They always have the highest rates from what I've seen. I don't know that they ever deviate at all.

They recognize day vs evening and weekdays vs weekends/holidays. I've been using them. There are two different providers: the UofA and a private company. The UofA list all their parking locations and rates at https://asinfo.ualberta.ca/en/Parkin...r-Parking.aspx.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

(Highlighted by me)

^This comes from a Federal government web-site. It says: If New Year's Day, Canada Day, Remembrance Day, Christmas Day, or Boxing Day falls on a Sunday or Saturday that is a non-working day for an employee, the employee is entitled to a holiday with pay on the working day immediately preceding or following the general holiday.
    With Canada Day falling on a Saturday this year the three levels of government have to give we 'the people' either the day before or the next immediate working day off in lieu of the holiday(s) mentioned above. For some reason they deemed that to be Monday July 3rd. With the exception of people who's normal work day is Saturdays/Sundays. For the most part the population/schools etc work Monday to Friday (especially civil servants). Now most people would have to be pretty oblivious to not know that July 3rd had been the 'day of if lieu' day.
    Last edited by Gemini; 04-07-2017 at 10:28 PM.

Or it could have been Friday as stated in paragraph 7. So the city should have given out free parking on Friday as well? Even though it, like Monday, was not a statutory holiday.

The Belvedere parking story is about people not parking in places where they might get a ticket. Something Replacement did not do.

Please feel free to post if you need further clarification.

Well it's all about repeat business for the U of A hospital. It's a perpetual cycle. You come out the hospital after visiting someone. You go get your vehicle, drive to the cashier and when you get the bill you have a coronary. No fail business plan.

Or it could have been Friday as stated in paragraph 7. So the city should have given out free parking on Friday as well? Even though it, like Monday, was not a statutory holiday.

The Belvedere parking story is about people not parking in places where they might get a ticket. Something Replacement did not do.

Please feel free to post if you need further clarification.
    Had to laugh at your last comment as I edited my post probably just as you posted this. Touche.
    Anywho, the powers that be deemed Monday July 3rd. as the 'in lieu' day for Canada Day. All people are saying is the C of E is so cheap they cannot even drop the parking charges for 'in lieu' days. For some people it may not be even the amount they charge (even though it's a complete rip-off) it's the principle of the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post

Boom. There it is. The mighty noodle has spoken. He/she/it/zir is just smarter and better. It must be hard being so perfect all the time. Very sad.

I am surprised you did not bring up that "in Sweden they pay $50 an hour to park etc etc.."
    Well, that made my day.

(Highlighted by me)

Emphasis mine.

Preceding or following. Which means they could have been given Friday, June 30 off (like my accounting friends) or July 3 off (like replacement). Neither of which changes the actual statutory holiday from Saturday, as per the statute.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post

Just because I don't come on the forums & try and shirk responsibility for my mistakes doesn't mean I don't make them. I have my foibles too & gladly own up to them.

Because Saturday was the stat holiday.... Shocking!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast