Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Centre LRT | Strathcona

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Top_Dawg takes it often when he stays in Mill Creek and he wants to go check on Pa_Dawg.

Granted on weekdays the last one leaves the Leg at six bells.

But it does run all day Saturday.

Super convenient.

And fast.

There's very few people on it.

Saturdays usually nobody.

Top_Dawg can take it downtown and then back to Whyte and he doesn't have to drag his truck back to the house.

Just go directly to Whyte and pound back brews.
    When I was working at the Heart & Stroke foundation last year, in Centre 104 just off of Gateway Blvd, that #52 brought me right behind the Toyota dealership heading South. I could just cut through the North side of the dealership to the light standard and into work . Easy peasy.
    If you didn't care about making a 99 st to UofA express, or would rather have that as a second route, a modified 52 would do the trick as a Downtown/Whyte feeder. Instead if proceeding to Southgate, have priority transit traffic signalling let the bus turn right/ west on Whyte, go to 105 st, turn right again, and on Saskatchewan drive to head back to downtown via QE Park Road. Instead of heading north on 103 st to 103 ave when it's downtown, you have it head north on 105 st to 104 ave, and run it past Roger's. Run it at higher frequency at rush hour during events, and at bar closing. And, most importantly, label it as Downtown and Whyte Avenue; I forgot about the 52 myself, since it labelled a Southgate bus.
    The one thing that slows the 52 down is the stop at the Legislature, which slows the trip down by sending it down Jasper Avenue. Its actually nine minutes slower then the 7, or the route 57 (which runs CN Tower to the U of A), when you leave from the their common stop by City Centre East/Churchill Square heading to Calgary Trail and Whyte Ave.

What may work best for a pure Rogers/downtown to Whyte route is a route that takes aspects of both the 52 and the 7/57 routes, using Scona Road, but using Saskatchewan Drive instead of 99 st.

From Google Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by Google Maps
    Make the above route express between MacEwan -> Rogers-> Churchill-> Jasper -> Whyte, market it as Whyte to Downtown shuttle, and run it at a decent frequency for events, rush hour, and bar close. It might fill the gap until Centre LRT and/or the gondola are built.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

On the news yesterday Councilor Tim Cartmell didn't elaborate on any Gondola/centre line stations except he mentioned Gateway blvd. He further suggested that Gondola poles could be inserted into the middle of Whyte Ave. (call before you dig)

Just thinking out loud here but why not merge the Edmonton project with Centre (omit lrt) line to run across the HLB? Of course modifications to the HLB would be necessary. This might step outside of the thinking of the Edmonton project but in the meantime by having the Gondola/Edmonton project proposal over the HLB could tie into the Centre line system eventually. This way the Centre line/Gondola could use the existing rail lands ROW that already runs parallel with 109th street and have a Centre line station adjacent to the AE building and run the Edmonton project/Centre line to the University etc. in other words merge the two.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Maybe each car/cabin could have a screen in it for advertising revenue. A 10 minute captive audience.
    I already covered this in the Edmonton project thread. However, advertising on the Gondola cars is a given.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456