Thread: K-Days Rodeo

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Default K-Days Rodeo

This inaugural event starts next Friday at Northlands Coliseum, and run through the weekend. Each day will be the richest "one header" in North America, drawing professional athletes from far and wide. Come out and help make this event an Edmonton success story.
    http://k-days.com/rodeo/

I don't really understand Northlands.

Years ago deciding to erase the Klondike Days theme and no longer competing with the Calgary Stampede, then call it "Capital Ex" (people hated that nondescript tag) then switch to K Days as an attempt to placate ex goers, now again a foray into the Rodeo with that obviously being a distant running to the Calgary Stampede.

Its all confusing, no direction, and sad how much that Northlands has fumbled what used to be a pretty good Klondike Days exposition.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Years ago deciding to erase the Klondike Days theme and no longer competing with the Calgary Stampede, then call it "Capital Ex" (people hated that nondescript tag) then switch to K Days as an attempt to placate ex goers, now again a foray into the Rodeo with that obviously being a distant running to the Calgary Stampede.

Its all confusing, no direction, and sad how much that Northlands has fumbled what used to be a pretty good Klondike Days exposition.

Donnie hasn't said much about all this, as the mayor of our city, he should.!!

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

Was too busy honking the horn on his mini bicycle while dressed as a clown in the parade.

I don't know if this occurred but the imagery works for me..

The saddest thing is this stick with 50's hair combover probably gets re-elected.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

Was too busy honking the horn on his mini bicycle while dressed as a clown in the parade.

I don't know if this occurred but the imagery works for me..

The saddest thing is this stick with 50's hair combover probably gets re-elected.
    Yup, Mr Mc bike lanes will. Lots of people saying they are not voting at all..

So, with another mayoral candidate appearing recently, is it a case of 'better the devil we know'?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    So, with another mayoral candidate appearing recently, is it a case of 'better the devil we know'?
    I'd vote for him,because he's not Mc bike lanes. A protest vote! I hope he takes on Don, and points out his lousy faults!

When was Klondike Days ever trying to compete with Stampede? Theirs is an anchor event with midway. Northlands felt we only needed the midway to be successful (which is proving otherwise). This is the first summer rodeo Northlands has hosted since Edmonton Stampede (seriously) ceased back in the 1930's. Calgary Stampede has had 103 years to refine their product. This is our first attempt at building a new product from scratch. Successes and opportunities will be evaluated and tweaked for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Think BIGGER View Post

When was Klondike Days ever trying to compete with Stampede? Theirs is an anchor event with midway. Northlands felt we only needed the midway to be successful (which is proving otherwise). This is the first summer rodeo Northlands has hosted since Edmonton Stampede (seriously) ceased back in the 1930's. Calgary Stampede has had 103 years to refine their product. This is our first attempt at building a new product from scratch. Successes and opportunities will be evaluated and tweaked for next year.
    Not sure how old you are but the K Days theme here was pretty hot in the 60's and through much of the 70's. It used to also feature a fantastic Grand Stand show that featured the likes of Bob Hope, Milton Berle, Jack Benny etc as MC comedians and complete with trapeze acts, circus acts etc all included for free every night at the racetrack. People would pack the place to see this 2.5hrs of quality entertainment plus the fireworks every night. You'd be sitting in the stands and the high wire climber would be going right on top of you all the way to the rafters and back.

Klondike Days was a reasonably close 2nd to the Calgary Stampede for awhile. I'm not sure why that was considered some kind of failure that needed rebranding. Our Civic ex has never been the same since.

The incompetence and apathy of Northlands has nearly killed it off. Edmonton's biggest summer festival is just a big aimless mess now.

Yeah, no kidding.

However, Top_Dawg would argue that Edmonton's biggest summer festival for some time now has been Heritage Days.

Imagine how big Edmonton's Klondike Days could be if they were actually ambitious and put a bit of love into growing it over the last few decades?

This book offers some interesting detail on what has allowed the Calgary Stampede excel and one can extrapolate why the once popular Klondike Days also worked well for a long while before the Northlands abruptly pulled the plug. Northlands, as an org, as many knew, had completely lost their way by then. Its been incompetently run from before that decision.

Important to note that total attendance went from 810K the last year of Klondike Days to 688K in the rebranded version in 2006. That was called Capital Ex, was an abject failure, and then they rebranded again with the generic name K Days.

The name changes alone signify the incompetence of the org. One gets the sense of an org flailing in the dark.

Anyway a trip down the past looking at Klondike Days.

http://www.vintageedmonton.com/search?q=Klondike+days
    Last edited by Replacement; 25-07-2017 at 10:34 AM.

In a perverse sort of way the failures of Northlands with respect to its summer ex, have been a boon to all other of Edmonton's many festivals.

As great as the Stampede is (and it is), it sucks up sponsorship dollars (and crowds) that might support more artistic (shall we say) events.

Much as I'd like to see Northlands find its way, fact is that if I want a midway, all I need is under glass open year round at WEM.
    ... gobsmacked

This book offers some interesting detail on what has allowed the Calgary Stampede excel and one can extrapolate why the once popular Klondike Days also worked well for a long while before the Northlands abruptly pulled the plug. Northlands, as an org, as many knew, had completely lost their way by then. Its been incompetently run from before that decision.

Important to note that total attendance went from 810K the last year of Klondike Days to 688K in the rebranded version in 2006. That was called Capital Ex, was an abject failure, and then they rebranded again with the generic name K Days.

The name changes alone signify the incompetence of the org. One gets the sense of an org flailing in the dark.

That's a wonderful find Replacement, thank you. Here is an article written Lord knows when, about the time the Klondike Days theme was put into question regarding its roots, its relevancy to Edmonton, its legitimacy, and its appeal and sustainability into the future. The last few sentences especially caught my attention.

https://flic.kr/p/VSvQvP

McBoo, you have a very valid point. We certainly have had a very proud history of quality, well-attended festivals in our city. Make no mistake, we are losing our edge to an aggressive Calgary market. I also know that there are still many companies that do not sponsor many of these festivals. Perhaps they cannot identify with these festivals or don't feel they would get a large enough return on their investment? Many companies feel that attaching their company brand or image to a large-scale event that is televised and plenty of media coverage would garner better returns on their sponsorship dollars.
    Last edited by Think BIGGER; 25-07-2017 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Think BIGGER View Post

That's a wonderful find Replacement, thank you. Here is an article written Lord knows when, about the time the Klondike Days theme was put into question regarding its roots, its relevancy to Edmonton, its legitimacy, and its appeal and sustainability into the future. The last few sentences especially caught my attention.

https://flic.kr/p/VSvQvP

McBoo, you have a very valid point. We certainly have had a very proud history of quality, well-attended festivals in our city. Make no mistake, we are losing our edge to an aggressive Calgary market. I also know that there are still many companies that do not sponsor many of these festivals. Perhaps they cannot identify with these festivals or don't feel they would get a large enough return on their investment? Many companies feel that attaching their company brand or image to a large-scale event that is televised and plenty of media coverage would garner better returns on their sponsorship dollars.
    Just so you know Pat McMahon was a devout Calgary supporter and writer that critiqued Edmonton any chance he got. Back when the rivalry was hot over all things. That of course was from the Calgary Herald. McMahon also critiqued the Name of the Eskimos, that Edmonton was the Capital City, that the U of A was located in Edmonton and so on. To be short, he was that kind of guy. He made Mordecai Richler seem pleasant..

Its unfortunate that eventually the Northlands board took such criticism to heart. Klondike Days was also widely criticized in Dawson city and in Whitehorse that also had something going along the same lines. But with those towns not having much left of celebrating the Klondike either. Fact of the matter is Edmonton has been a northern supplier and outfitter for a lot of up north endeavors including the gold Rush. Edmonton, if any city, had somewhat of a claim to celebrated those celebrated and unique times. Plus it was a lot of fun.

K-Days was a Big Deal when it had little to no competition. 3 decades later it's just a midway that passes through, amidst the every-weekend festivals. But it's still the only midway passing through and it has its place.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

I think its a bit misleading that Klondike Days was big because not much else was going on. That isn't the case. Edmonton per capita had lots of things going on throughout my life, since the 60's anyway.

Forgotten is Edmonton once had 3 pro sports clubs, The Oilers, the Eskimos, and the NASL Edmonton Drillers (when NASL had Pele and players like that and was the big league in NA)
    Edmonton also had major events at the International Speedway that were commonly dispersed spring, summer and fall. They had top fuel, other events, concerts etc out there.

Muk Luk Mardigras was a bigger Winter event than anything except Silver Skate festival that we have going now.

The Sunday Promenade was huge, Sourdough raft race was huge.

Folk Festival was already going as was the Heritage festival and Jazz city, all founded in the 70's. There was also a DT theater festival not unlike the later Fringe Festival that evolved around the Theater community prior to the Citadel theater.

Tons of great concert acts almost every week.

A lively DT restaurant, nightclub scene that rivals what we have now.

Important to remember that Edmonton had the biggest event it has ever hosted, the Commonwealth Games, in 1978. Also facilities like The Valley Zoo, the Provincial Museum, Alberta Game farm, Elk Island park were also huge attractins back then in their relative infancy.

Back then people travelled to outlying areas more per capita then they do now. Frequent weekends out camping, in the mountains, etc. People just started going to the Mountains via car in 1960's as the Yellowhead was finally paved and completed to Jasper by then. So the draw to explore it was immense and like nothing seen now. Tons of people, basically anybody that had a vehicle, would head out to JNP countless times to check it out. The highway was so busy with visitors.

its a misnomer that Klondike Days had no competition. People saying that weren't even around back then.
    Last edited by Replacement; 25-07-2017 at 05:28 PM.

This may as well be this years all purpose K days thread what with it being nearly over.

Anyway, went yesterday, weather was great until evening. Admission more pricey than I remember at 18bucks and Concordia parking now up to 15 bucks. So a 33buck hit before you even get a Caramel Apple (7bucks, really!?)

Onto the review the free entertainment was good. The Lumberjack show being back is positive. The Trampoline show was very entertaining. Enjoyed that. We also enjoyed the Pow Wow competition at the Agricom. This is a big plus and one of the best parts of K Days in recent years. Never seen the agricom so colorful decked out in all the competition regalia. Walking around the agricom and event center it was so nice seeing the competitor costumes and dress everywhere.

No fireworks yesterday due to the intense storm but mother nature provided a light show. We had a good time, I will even say that the food prices in the food court have become more reasonable if anything. Also getting better portions and more variety in there. In short the food on the midway is more expensive, and the food court options have become less expensive. I was actually surprised how much better value it was. For instance a 5 selection Chinese plate was 12.50 cheaper than similar in any Mall food court. It was really odd. Mall food court prices have gone up all over the city, but the K Days food court has stayed the same in pricing or even been reduced. That was nice to see.