Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Edmonton Oilers 2017-18 Season

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Not bad for a 34 yr old backup goaltender. Geez....
    Goalie won the game for Leafs.

McDavid could have, and maybe should have, had three tonight.

Unfortunately tonight the Hawks won, Blues won, and Minny beat SJ in OT.

Blues, Knights, Sharks, Kings, Avs, and Flames all won Saturday, with Jets picking up a loser point.

Friday it was the Hawks winning, with both the Knights-Preds and the Wild-Ducks being 3 point games.

It's a good thing the Oilers have a lot of Divisional games coming up. I think the team is built to succeed in their own Division. I hope so. We'll see.

They need a sustained run, and they need a whole bunch of teams to collapse. 500 hockey won't come close.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Goalie won the game for Leafs.

McDavid could have, and maybe should have, had three tonight.

Unfortunately tonight the Hawks won, Blues won, and Minny beat SJ in OT.

Blues, Knights, Sharks, Kings, Avs, and Flames all won Saturday, with Jets picking up a loser point.

Friday it was the Hawks winning, with both the Knights-Preds and the Wild-Ducks being 3 point games.

It's a good thing the Oilers have a lot of Divisional games coming up. I think the team is built to succeed in their own Division. I hope so. We'll see.

They need a sustained run, and they need a whole bunch of teams to collapse. 500 hockey won't come close.
    Thing is it doesn't matter. The time to pull out of the whole the Oilers have made for themselves is essentially done. The Oilers schedule is now loaded up on teams that play us better than those that we have faced. Just in the remainder of this month we have around 7 games that are going to be tough. The only WC teams we've looked good against are Calgary, LV, Chicago. That's it. Calgary and Chicago are out of the playoffs at the moment, and LV was playing a 4th string goalie and a large reason they had lost their mojo. We haven't beat one good WC opponent this season from my recollection.

This Oilers team, with this lack of depth, there is no sustained run.

We probably need 68pts in our remaining 52 games. For perspective that would be a pace that exceeds last year when this was a better team. Its over.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^
    perhaps, but, just like the last 30, the next 52 are all individual games and one of the reasons they play them is that until they’re over you never really know what the result is going to be.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

When I state "its over" I'm taking probability licence there. Not that its mathematically over.

Life is all about "you never really know"
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^you said last year it was over because all the teams were supposedly too tough... (many of us pointed out to you the schedule was actually easier as less travel, which has a bigger impact than quality of opposition, but you were insistent, and wrong).

I think its a bit unlikely now, but its not over yet.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^you said last year it was over because all the teams were supposedly too tough... (many of us pointed out to you the schedule was actually easier as less travel, which has a bigger impact than quality of opposition, but you were insistent, and wrong).

I think its a bit unlikely now, but its not over yet.
    Its fair to state I was wrong on that. Last year was a bit different in the WC as a lot of things took place. Some clubs folded out of the playoff race, other teams had much more significant injury problems, and the Oilers had a run of pretty unsustainable performance from some pretty unlikely characters.

That said I don't think my position last year was that the Oilers would miss. I was concerned that for a long time period they were hanging too close to the margins. Any significant injury last season could have caused some problems.

But we agree that this year playoffs is not something we would bet on.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Yes it is.

It's all over but the drama.

Top_Dawg is waiting for the chicken choker to can McLellan's azz.

Just to postpone his own $hit canning.

Top_Dawg absolutely loves it.

This bunch couldn't fubar this as bad as they have even if they deliberately tried.

Hilarious.

^^Agreed.

^Agreed as well, I think its a reasonable bet that TM is gone if fail to make playoffs.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Yup, stole the show. Happens. We played well, but simply could not score.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Simply could not score.
    The Oilers 2017-18 epitaph
    ... gobsmacked

We want the cup!
    www.decl.org

Gotta love that game! 7-2 alright!

Hello Oilers. welcome back.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Well done guys! 👍

C2E SME

The Oilers are climbing the ladder in goals scored, to 14th place.

Also, Brossoit is 3-2 with a .922 save percentage in December.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Commentary on the game last night said the Oilers are the team that hits the most in the league.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

And blocked shots I believe as well. Is Jason Smith back?
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Commentary on the game last night said the Oilers are the team that hits the most in the league.
    We are built for playoffs. The challenge is to make it there, given the referees call everything in regular season (but nothing in post season). Smaller faster teams will have an advantage against us now, but no hope come the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    We are built for playoffs. The challenge is to make it there, given the referees call everything in regular season (but nothing in post season). Smaller faster teams will have an advantage against us now, but no hope come the playoffs.
    Agreed with this. The Oilers, like many Kings clubs, are built for the playoffs, the challenge is often getting there. One could see the converse in Columbus. They are NOT, at all, built for playoffs. We played a track hockey club and used big boy punishing hockey and the jackets were only interested in sticking around for one period. By the 2nd the Jackets had fully felt that this 2 pts was going to be too hard to get. Jackets backed down. Due to what the Oilers showed.

But the Oilers can't play every game like this either. There are other nights when you just don't have that much energy through the lineup.

Another stat was show that the Oilers so far this year have hit 23 goal posts right behind Washington with 24. Just 4 in the Toronto game alone.

Don't care. As that sage Mr. Belichick once said "Stats are for losers". Just win.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Another stat was show that the Oilers so far this year have hit 23 goal posts right behind Washington with 24. Just 4 in the Toronto game alone.
    Its also an example of stats being misrepresented. As if they are significant. In that graphic there was 1 goal deviations from one team to another in goal post tallies. I doubt theres all that much difference between the mean goal posts hit, or how many times teams have hit our goal post. Maybe its a handful of differentiation.

But perhaps because I like full vs piecemeal stats its somewhat annoying when partial stat graphics are shown. You don't know if it significant at all without the rest of the information.

In anycase its meaningless.

Stats are just interesting tidbits of info. i just find stats like that amusing. They don't tell the whole picture, however. But I get your point. .

What's with Kassian picking a fight with 2 to go up 7-2?

You just don't do it. That's Kassian-Eberle bush league territory. Zero class.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

You have entirely the wrong take on what occurred there. Dubi and Foligno had been running Oilers into the boards wth the game over. Foligno had refused a fight with Kass twice, and with Luc, earlier in the game. Yet Foligno viciously charges Draisaitl into the boards in what was a pure punk move, and then fights Khaira, after declining previous bouts. Again punk move. This immediately preceded the Dubi situation where Kass equalizes and wherein Dubi is seen dropping the gloves. Dubi dropped the gloves, wanted to go (*****) and Kass dropped him with first punch. Got all of him with an uppercut before the broadcast even switched cameras.

That is not bush on Kassian at all. Even some Jackets fans are doubting Foligno for not manning up in this contest. Any Oilers fan I've seen is saying Foligno is at fault for what went down.

This is classic retribution for punks that got running around in a game that was over. That was all on Foligno and Dubi. Kass just responding in kind.

Stats night for Oilers, but more important, two points.

Regarding teams that played tonight, the Oil gain 2 points on LA (who I doubt they’ll catch) and Colorado (who they need to pass), and one point on Flames and Vegas, who lose in shootouts.

Hawks and Wild win.

The Oilers need to forget the standings and concentrate on what they can control - winning games. Lots of teams manage 10 game streaks or more. There’s no reason this team can’t, especially with Talbot and Sekera back in.

Unfortunately their destiny isn’t entirely in their hands. I expect they’ll will need to finish top 3 in their Division to get in.

Colorado - two points up, with a game in hand on Oil. Not a good team. I expect Oilers pass them within a week.

The Duchene saga has ended (with Nashville the clear winners of the deal). They can move forward. Nathan MacKinnon is everything the Oilers hope Draisaitl is. Great player. Doesn’t mail it in. A leader. Landeskog is really good too. After that, yikes. Or, rather, yawn. Bernier is helping out. Yakupov, too

Vancouver - 4 points up. I expect the Oilers will reel them in soon, but because of injuries.

Surprisingly, a good team, with some really good young talent. Not an easy out, by any means. I think they’re going to be in tough with both Horvat and Baertshi out 6+ weeks, among other injuries. Still defensively responsible. Might squeak out a lot of loser points, because they keep it close and low scoring.

Anaheim - 5 points up. I dunno, maybe Oil can catch them. 4 or 5 games left against them.

Survived a ton of injuries. Kept games close, and managed a lot of loser points. Getzlaf and Silfverberg are back, Kesler coming back, but now Perry is out. Pretty strong down the middle, especially since they picked up Henrique when missing their top 3 centres at the same time. The way they keep the scores close means a lot of 3 point games, which makes them harder to catch up to.

Good defence, two good, experienced, goaltenders. Yikes. The Oilers were built to compete with teams like Anaheim. Now’s the time.

The Flames - 8 points up, even after losing twice to the Oilers. A good team. Or a lousy team. Sometimes on the same night.

I’ve watched them a lot. When they’re good, they’re really good, and when they’re bad, they’re really bad. The Oilers #1 competition for a variety of reasons. They have a good defence, if not the elite crew some say they are. The guy who surprises me is Michael Stone, and nobody talks about him. The Gaudreau and Monohan deals are looking better every day.

They got swept by the Ducks last year, but a LOT of that was goaltending. The Ducks were the better team without a doubt, and still are imo. But the Flames weren’t as bad as it’s made out. They’re really missing Versteeg right now, of all guys. He helps make them go. Jagr’s been playing well too, but he’s hurt more often than not, and I think he’s done as a full time player.

San Jose - 8 points up, 2 games in hand on Oilers.

I don’t think they’re as good as last year’s team. Thornton looks a year older, for sure. Burns seems to be coming around after a slow start.

Still a lot of good players who play the game the right way. I haven’t seen them enough this year. Don’t know how much they miss Marleau. Another team that keeps it tight and close, and can eek out a point in a loss.

Vegas. Vegas? - a whopping 12 points up with a game in hand on the Oilers. I think the Oilers need to hope they crater. Oilers need to sweep them to beat them.

I picked them for last, like everybody else. Can they keep it up? I’m not so sure, but I’ve been wrong so far. So hard to say when you have zero history to go on.

The Blue Jackets could have used William Karlsson last night. And I have no clue what Florida was thinking giving up Marchessault - 30 goals and 21 assists in his second season.

They won with a 4th string goalie. Now Fleury and Subban are back. They have more cap space than the Oilers for a trade deadline pickup.

LA - 15 points up, but Oilers have a game in hand. Good, experienced, team with a great goaltender. I expect they’ll remain at the top of the division. Can’t see Oilers catching them.

Does Kopitar play every second season? Does Brown play every fourth? I don’t know how many years Doughty has left in him (or how many years with LA), but he’s playing great right now. I think Quick is the best goalie in the league, and if he stays healthy, he’s hard to beat.

The Oilers have lots of opportunities to get back in this, but a lot has to go right.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    Interesting to hear the criticism about Cassie being a homer, I wonder if that is something that is even critiqued internally by the producers of the sports casts. My only real criticism with her is more with her voice and presentation style. She comes across to me as being lifeless and monotonous, would like to hear some excitement in her voice and expression every once in a while.
    Yeah, that's more along the lines of my concern than anything she's actually said. She comes across frequently as nervous and hesitant both in her voice and mannerisms. When she first started she was probably the worst sporstcaster I'd ever seen on camera, it was incredible. Now she's just merely below average if not outright bad. But even last year there was this really goofy intermission bit she was doing where she was talking to the camera on an isolation shot of just her head and shoulders and a clump of her hair fell across her face and got caught in the corner of her mouth. Instead of taking the moment to deviate from script and to brush it aside, she kept talking as the clump of hair went further and further in to her mouth. She was basically eating her hair on camera. It was really, really strange.

What it comes down to is that she is clearly uncomfortable on TV, and always will be. It's been 10+ years since she joined HNIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones
    I wonder what happened to Strombo , havn't seen him on TV at all lately

I feel like he needs to come to terms with the fact he's rapidly approaching 50, and can't get by on being a scruffy 20-something anymore. I actually quite like his interviews and journalism, but he was horrid at hockey. It was clear he was totally out of his element. And Ron McLean is basically perfect at this job, so why replace him with someone far, far worse?

C2E SME

How can the Oilers not get a single goal on 44 shots?
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Clearly if you want to beat the Oilers then just play your backup goalie, otherwise your Vezina-winning star goalie will get blown out of the water.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Man, these guys are wearing out my 10-minute-skip button!
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

If other teams can find these excellent backup goaltenders maybe oilers brass could find one too. Seems to be a lot of excellent European goalies. I hate to say it and I'm sorry but Brossoit is not an NHL goaltender.

And in Mini on Saturday Dubbie is out. Another back up goal tender!

It seems as if when the Oilers play back ups they figure a ton of muff shots will be good enough. There wasn't one properly executed cross ice play by the Oilers today that resulted in a serious chance. Preds were able to make those plays several times.

The Shots don't tell the story. The Oilers had few serious scoring chances in this one.

When we play better goalies it seems like we are more focused in execution and producing better scoring chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

You have entirely the wrong take on what occurred there. Dubi and Foligno had been running Oilers into the boards wth the game over. Foligno had refused a fight with Kass twice, and with Luc, earlier in the game. Yet Foligno viciously charges Draisaitl into the boards in what was a pure punk move, and then fights Khaira, after declining previous bouts. Again punk move. This immediately preceded the Dubi situation where Kass equalizes and wherein Dubi is seen dropping the gloves. Dubi dropped the gloves, wanted to go (*****) and Kass dropped him with first punch. Got all of him with an uppercut before the broadcast even switched cameras.

That is not bush on Kassian at all. Even some Jackets fans are doubting Foligno for not manning up in this contest. Any Oilers fan I've seen is saying Foligno is at fault for what went down.

This is classic retribution for punks that got running around in a game that was over. That was all on Foligno and Dubi. Kass just responding in kind.
    I watched the replay. You're right. I agree.

I saw it wrong. But even Jim Matheson found it "problematic".

It's plain dumb with 90 seconds left and the score meaningless. You don't send a message with 90 seconds left. A little gutless, frankly. The only message sent is it's open season. Not a hockey play, and no effect on who wins. Nothing good can come of it.

Play out 90 seconds with your pluggers, take the two points you desperately need, and get on the plane home, feeling good, no drama, nobody gets hurt.

7-2 at home the other team is just trying to salvage what's left of their dignity. If the Oilers put out McDavid and Draisaitl with 90 seconds left in a 7-2 game in Columbus they will get run, for sure. It would work like that for any team. I have less sympathy for Torts, because I've seen him run up the score late in the game on a "stats night".

It could just as easily gone the other way, even by fluke, Kassian could have broken a knuckle on Dubi's helmet, fell and pulled a muscle, or maybe someone else gets involved. As it was, it was Dubinsky, who they were worried lost an eye.

It's not "retribution", it's stupid.

Dubinsky is in my bottom 10 as players go (along with guys like Tom Wilson for the Caps, Luke Witkowski with Detroit, Mark Stone, ...). Good player, but a cheap shot artist who turtles. Especially hated in Pittsburgh. The hooking and slashing calls are catching him off guard, because that's his game. Foligno's a bit of a goof too. Columbus are kind of a dirty team.

It seems as if when the Oilers play back ups they figure a ton of muff shots will be good enough. There wasn't one properly executed cross ice play by the Oilers today that resulted in a serious chance. Preds were able to make those plays several times.

The Shots don't tell the story. The Oilers had few serious scoring chances in this one.

When we play better goalies it seems like we are more focused in execution and producing better scoring chances.
    I think the Oilers ran into a super hot goalie in Toronto, and one tonight who played a nearly perfect game, positionally, facing the shooter, seeing the puck, and cutting down the angle. Everything was hitting him. Sometimes that's because a team isn't going to the net and creating enough traffic in front of the goalie.

Easier said than done with Nashville.

Even without Ellis, the Nashville D are pretty good at keeping things to the outside, and keeping players out of the crease area. Maybe the best D in the league. They've always had great checking centres. Turris looks like a real score. They have a real aggressive penalty kill that gives players no time to make a real play.

The Oilers needed to score in the first. When they didn't, after pouring it on, and the other team got (I think) 4 goals on the first 14 shots, I don't even know what to say.

How many times have I said they deserved a better fate? Way too many.

I'm not blaming anything on Brossoit. I really like him. Expecting him to outplay Talbot, which is what's needed, isn't reasonable. I think he'll be great some day, just like I thought Dubnyk would be great someday. Just not now. Not enough experience, on a really young team. Too much pressure.

The time to go looking for a goalie was last week. Hey Chiarelli - a little help, alright? Don't sit this year out. Use some of that cap space. You don't get to save it for next year.
    So much for my ten wins in a row theory
    Last edited by Jimbo; 15-12-2017 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post

I do wonder why there aren't more women in the expert analysis end of things, like the expert panels, and hot stove panels? All of the hockey writers I'm familiar with are men. All of the broadcasters. All of the panel guests. All of the bloggers. All of them.

A woman might sneak in here and there as a host.

Don't tell me there isn't a woman out there better than, say, Mike "They're trying to take concussions out of the game" Milbury.

Feel free to sit this one out, Top_Dawg
    Leah Hextall was excellent as a host for the game day hockey panels and sometimes on Hockey Central at Noon. She could hold her own against Doug MacLean and Nick Kypreos. You could tell she has some spark and chutzpah.

But for some reason SportsNet canned her 2 years ago.

She is definitely better than George Strombo.
    No kidding re: Strombo

Hextall is very good. She knows her stuff.
    Coincidentally The Athletic ran a Q&A with Campbell-Pascal and Hextall the day after our posts. Including discussing gender bias in broadcasting.

Must have been something in the air

Totally agree with this. I was at the game. Nobody in front screening. Oh they were standing around alot. They all think they are adept at tipping or deflecting. Put your fat *** in the goalie's grill and stay there. That goaltender saw everything.

Oh that will happen....in March.

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post
    If the Oilers can win 5 in a row they are right back in a playoff race. So close yet so far.

If the Oilers can win 5 in a row they are right back in a playoff race. So close yet so far.
    It's so easy to be negative right now. Oiler PTSD is real, and there have been lots of triggers this year.

But I'm going out on a limb and saying I see a lot of good signs right now.

I'm optimistic, notwithstanding the standings.

Maybe not 10 in a row optimistic, but Sekera (the #1 D) is coming back, and if Talbot plays like Talbot I see a pretty good team that's had some bad luck recently, and could make a run.

They were the better team in Toronto. They were arguably the much better team last night, until the score made it a game of catchup against the best D in the league. Score first, and they should have, and it's an entirely different game.

They could easily have a 4 game win streak right now, and deserve it.

I'd like to see RNH quarterbacking the 1st PP unit, with Puljujarvi on it, setting up as the shooter on his off wing in the O-zone.

Having McDavid is almost like starting every game a goal up. Even though scoring has been way up, it usually gets tighter as the season wears on. This team needs to win the 2-1 games, or at least get to OT, and to do that they need to concentrate on keeping the puck out of their net.

It's so easy to be negative right now. Oiler PTSD is real, and there have been lots of triggers this year.

But I'm going out on a limb and saying I see a lot of good signs right now.

I'm optimistic, notwithstanding the standings.

Maybe not 10 in a row optimistic, but Sekera (the #1 D) is coming back, and if Talbot plays like Talbot I see a pretty good team that's had some bad luck recently, and could make a run.

They were the better team in Toronto. They were arguably the much better team last night, until the score made it a game of catchup against the best D in the league. Score first, and they should have, and it's an entirely different game.

They could easily have a 4 game win streak right now, and deserve it.

I'd like to see RNH quarterbacking the 1st PP unit, with Puljujarvi on it, setting up as the shooter on his off wing in the O-zone.

Having McDavid is almost like starting every game a goal up. Even though scoring has been way up, it usually gets tighter as the season wears on. This team needs to win the 2-1 games, or at least get to OT, and to do that they need to concentrate on keeping the puck out of their net.
    The Oilers don't have the lineup or the psyche of a team that would go on a ten game run or even a 5 game run. After two good performances most of the time they will play bad (this was the one exception all season just recently)

For good teams, like STL, Tampa, NSH, LA those clubs will win several games before their performance starts to sink. For instance during the Kings latest 8 game winning streak the Kings played 5-6 really solid games in a row winning them all. They then got luck to win the 7th and 8th and played less well. By the time NJD beat the Kings it was predictably as the Kings game had fallen off. The Oilers reach that point 2 games in. Bad habits, lazy habits creep in. Cutting corners, or jumping the play instead of having numbers back. The focus and what results in winning quickly erodes with this club. its like they are in constant need of lessons.

Cam Talbot played a solid road game this afternoon.

A lot less anxiety with Talbot in net. Brossoit was stressing me out.

C2E Continued Contributor

Davidson has certainly been a better match with Auvitu than Gryba has been. Will be interesting how things play out when Sekera and Larsson are both back.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post

I do wonder why there aren't more women in the expert analysis end of things, like the expert panels, and hot stove panels? All of the hockey writers I'm familiar with are men. All of the broadcasters. All of the panel guests. All of the bloggers. All of them.

A woman might sneak in here and there as a host.

Don't tell me there isn't a woman out there better than, say, Mike "They're trying to take concussions out of the game" Milbury.

Feel free to sit this one out, Top_Dawg
    Leah Hextall was excellent as a host for the game day hockey panels and sometimes on Hockey Central at Noon. She could hold her own against Doug MacLean and Nick Kypreos. You could tell she has some spark and chutzpah.

But for some reason SportsNet canned her 2 years ago.

She is definitely better than George Strombo.
    No kidding re: Strombo

Hextall is very good. She knows her stuff.
    Coincidentally The Athletic ran a Q&A with Campbell-Pascal and Hextall the day after our posts. Including discussing gender bias in broadcasting.

Must have been something in the air
    Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely check it out.

It seems like eons ago when Harold Ballard called Barbara Frum a BROAD-caster when she did a post game interview in the Maple Leafs dressing room.

Today professional athletes and sports organizations are accepting of female reporters. But I think some media peers of women reporters and some viewers (ie. social media trolls) still hold ancient gender biases.

^ Well if CTV cuts ties with her, she has her music career to fall back on.
    Last edited by envaneo; Yesterday at 04:59 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567