Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Oilers 2017-18 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    I don't know what's wrong with Talbot...something is.
    Talbot's not the same guy he was last season.

But neither is Draisaitl. Nowhere near the level we were expecting when he was so richly rewarded. He should be playing at the level of a MacKinnon, or at least Sean Monohan. I know it's not just about the pay scale, but it's a lot tougher to be disappointed with someone making a fraction of what he's getting, because that's all that was left on the table.

Or Caggiula. Or Slepyshev. I get the feeling both are on the way out. Or Klefbom. When was the last time anyone thought he was a legitimate threat to score from the point? Or Larsson, who may still be hurt. And, so far, Sekera. I can only think Sekera is still injured. Why else would you sit a guy like that?

When a player is drummed out of town the way Eberle was, it's no surprise when you don't get the same value back. Strome is an honest, hard working, versatile, hockey player, but a step down from Eberle.

McDavid's playing great, but he's a one man team right now.
    Draisaitl, EV, is playing with the likes of Strome, Khaira, Cagg, Camm, how much production is he going to obtain with such wingers while facing primo opposition? Its an enormous task. Not even RNH, or McD are being tasked with playing with 2 other wingers, simultaneously, that offer so little. If Drai had any of Maroon, Lucic, or Pulju, he would be producing better. If he still had the likes of Hall he would be a gold mine.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^He is being paid $1.5m more than Monahan or Gaudreau (although he sure doesn't look 1.5m better right now), that indicates he should be able to drive his own line and perform.
    Last edited by moahunter; 09-01-2018 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Draisaitl and Klefbom to Ottawa for Karlsson. Make it so.
    I would just throw in my fan card at that point. Lets trade for a player that outed his org right in the middle of the season and completely deep-sixed the progress of the team by revealing he was gone unless the club payed him top value. Which immediately led to the Sens sinking in the standings ever since. I wouldn't want Karlson on that basis alone and would also rather see drasaitl remaining here.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^don't worry, Ottawa is unlikely to make the trade, trading away Karlson would be nuts (but stranger things have happened). I like Draisaitl, but it almost always backfires in the NHL when you give a young guy more than their comparable's. The same basically happened with Nuge - he went on a multi year holiday, now his contract will be up in a few years time, he is performing again.
    Last edited by moahunter; 09-01-2018 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^He is being paid $1.5m more than Monahan or Gaudreau (although he sure doesn't look 1.5m better right now), that indicates he should be able to drive his own line and perform.
    Even Crosby for years had a set guy like Kunitz who is a solid shutdown player. Its somewhat unreasonable to think Drai should be immediately carrying two project wingers on either wing in the first year of his crontract when the 7 year vet Center isn't doing that (he almost always has either Lucic, Pulju, or Maroon) or McD who gets a rotation of the same.

One could say McD at 12.5M should be able to carry two fill players but I wouldn't ever want that for him, or any talented Center to have to work with two players that are not established wingers simultaneously. Maybe in a year or two McD and Drai could handle tweener wingers. They can't now.

C2E SME

Thought this was a pretty good breakdown (please do your best to ignore Steve Simmons in the video, though. Is there a dumber sports "journalist" in Canada?): https://www.tsn.ca/talent/oilers-ham...-wing-1.963104

It would be very interesting to see a compilation of all of the assets PC has traded out and received back, and total up their games played, goals, points etc. It would be very enlightening to see that done in aggregate, and not on a trade by trade basis. I have a feeling that the totals would be absolutely horrendous for the assets brought in vs sent out. I mean, just take Hall, Eberle and Barzal's numbers and put them up against uh, Larsson, Strome and Reinhart. And that's honestly how those three trades boil down.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Thought this was a pretty good breakdown (please do your best to ignore Steve Simmons in the video, though. Is there a dumber sports "journalist" in Canada?): https://www.tsn.ca/talent/oilers-ham...-wing-1.963104

It would be very interesting to see a compilation of all of the assets PC has traded out and received back, and total up their games played, goals, points etc. It would be very enlightening to see that done in aggregate, and not on a trade by trade basis. I have a feeling that the totals would be absolutely horrendous for the assets brought in vs sent out. I mean, just take Hall, Eberle and Barzal's numbers and put them up against uh, Larsson, Strome and Reinhart. And that's honestly how those three trades boil down.
    How would you compare Hall to Larsson? The two are totally different players. I like Hall, but heck, I think we needed to move on, he had no chemistry without McDaivd, and the team was one dimensional having both top lines play the rush. People seem to forget that one year ago this was a miracle team that unexpectedly made the playoffs. Something has gone wrong this year, but that trade wasn't it. I think the issues are:

1. Overpaying players in the offseason (which probably ****** off other players) - aka Russel and Draisaitil
    2. Coaching - the PK is horrendous.
    Last edited by moahunter; 09-01-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Interesting review on where the problems lie currently on this team and lineup, i.e. wingers;

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/oilers-ham...-wing-1.963104

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post

How would you compare Hall to Larsson? The two are totally different players. I like Hall, but heck, I think we needed to move on, he had no chemistry without McDaivd, and the team was one dimensional having both top lines play the rush. People seem to forget that one year ago this was a miracle team that unexpectedly made the playoffs. Something has gone wrong this year, but that trade wasn't it. I think the issues are:

1. Overpaying players in the offseason (which probably ****** off other players) - aka Russel and Draisaitil
    2. Coaching - the PK is horrendous.
    Has to be considered along with the swing in goal differential after trading Hall. From -42 15-16 season to +35 following season, a 72 goal swing.

I like Hall, but a guy like Larsson was what the team needed.

Chiarelli got Talbot, his most important acquisition, for picks that turned out to be Jonas Siegenthaler, Sergey Zborovskly, and Adam Huska. He took advantage of a situation in Montreal to get Kassian for Scrivens.

Trading Eberle was different - another case of getting rid of someone, rather than looking for some help. With the way the fans and media turned on the guy it was a mercy trade.

Draisaitl forced his hand with a great year and a better playoffs.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Close in Nashville, but no cigar.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    It was the correct call, but I hate that rule about the skate being a fraction of an inch off the ice a fraction of a second before the puck enters the zone, discernible only through the aid of multiple angles and extreme slow mo.

I feel for the Oilers, and for the refs, in that situation.

The Oilers played pretty well. Especially McDavid. Talbot looked sharp, and kept them in it.

Didn't sag and get away from their game after flukey second goal.

They played a tight game. I thought Khaira was outstanding. Very strong. Strome was good too.

A game they could have won. Could've. should've, would've.

Either way, overall, I saw a lot of encouraging signs. Playoffs nearly impossible, but if the Oilers pick it up from here we could still see some great entertaining hockey for the rest of the season.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

C2E SME

Perhaps the one bright spot on the wing is the performance of Puljujarvi.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Perhaps the one bright spot on the wing is the performance of Puljujarvi.
    I hope they give him a legitimate shot on the powerplay in the 2nd half. The kid has all the tools to be a game changer, but they haven't fully utilized him yet. I understand why. He is a rookie after all, but once the playoffs are officially out of reach I'd hope TM would use the 2nd half to tinker a bit.

C2E SME

Last night was a decent game. Bad luck on the goal off Larsson's face and Khaira's tippy toe offside. If they played that way every night and got some better puck luck (saw a mention that the Oilers have the most posts/crossbars in the league this year), they'd be in the mix for the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo

To be clear, I still don't necessarily have a big problem with the Larsson trade, although I was certainly more positive about it last year as compared to this year. His regression this season is concerning, and it's becoming apparent that he is at best a good second pairing option. And when you see what other teams gave up to get guys like Hamonic and Hamilton (in both cases, basically what we gave up for Reinhart, which is just depressing) who are both right shots by the way and arguably better players, the trade looks that much worse for having been 1 for 1. Even if the throw in was a later pick or so-so prospect, it would have looked better in hindsight.

But again, I was talking about looking at Chiarelli's trades in aggregate. Yes, you can talk till you're blue in the face about goal differential and how good Larsson is defensively or how soft Eberle was in the playoffs, but the fact is that you win hockey games by outscoring the opposition. If your GM is continually sending players out who can score and receiving back players who can't score and/or can't even play in the NHL, you are soon going to find yourself with a problem.

Sure, PC made a couple good deals for Kassian, Maroon and Talbot and didn't give up much to get them. Talbot aside, those are bit players that get moved in deals like that all the time. The only trade that PC has won that moved the needle was the Talbot deal. Otherwise every major trade he's made as GM has been a net loss for the organization, and we're seeing the results on the ice this year. They've ****** away the ELC years of both McDavid and Draisatl, along with Nurse and soon PoolParty. It will be that much harder to build a consistent contender after this year because of the extensions kicking in.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 10-01-2018 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    I hate that rule about the skate being a fraction of an inch off the ice a fraction of a second before the puck enters the zone, discernible only through the aid of multiple angles and extreme slow mo.
    I hate that too. Why is that even a rule?

It's so dumb that it's offside of your foot is off the ice. It should just be whether or not you cross the line. Either that, or make it so that all goals also have to be scored along the ice and they don't count if they are lifted.

The Oilers have scored 4 goals in their last 6 games.

Also, the refs have a double-standard with the Oilers: the slightest (or non-existent) infraction by the Oil gets called every time. And infractions by the opposition have to be flagrant to be called. Or in some cases not, as Maroon found out last night.

C2E SME

Yeah, the non-call on Subban for hooking on McDavid's breakaway was total garbage. NHL officials seem to have a totally different standard when it comes to what it takes to get a stick infraction or holding call on McDavid, and it's completely ridiculous. It's like the NHL sent out a memo to the refs saying "this kid is way too good, and he might get 150 points if we don't slow him down. Take him down a notch, please." I don't know why the NHL has such a hard time establishing consistency in it's officiating, but it's infuriating.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Either that, or make it so that all goals also have to be scored along the ice and they don't count if they are lifted.

Good one MrOil.

^^I can't blame anybody who gives up on the NHL at this point.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Last night was a decent game. Bad luck on the goal off Larsson's face and Khaira's tippy toe offside. If they played that way every night and got some better puck luck (saw a mention that the Oilers have the most posts/crossbars in the league this year), they'd be in the mix for the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo
    [COLOR=#333333]

To be clear, I still don't necessarily have a big problem with the Larsson trade, although I was certainly more positive about it last year as compared to this year. His regression this season is concerning, and it's becoming apparent that he is at best a good second pairing option.
    I think he has been put in a tough spot - when Sekera went down he took on a bigger role. He is probably a bit worn out, or may even be carrying an injury. Klefbom concerns me a bit more.

^its messed up. Its becoming clear the best way to win in regular season is have a smaller faster team as often penalties are called (but not always, e.g. if its on CMD), but in playoffs you need a bigger rougher team, because nothing is called then. There needs to be way more consistency both during the regular season and between regular season and playoffs.
    Last edited by moahunter; 10-01-2018 at 10:41 AM.

I enjoyed the game last night, but not the final score.

Just like that, Oilers fans are back to celebrating the "moral" victories.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter
    I think he has been put in a tough spot - when Sekera went down he took on a bigger role. He is probably a bit worn out, or may even be carrying an injury.
    Well, that's a further condemnation of the trade for Larsson then. PC traded one of the top LW in the game for a RD that apparently needs sheltering and/or the perfect partner to achieve decent results. Meanwhile, 300 km's south, they got 2 better defensemen for the same or similar assets (in each case, not in total) that PC sent out for a D-man who has played 37 NHL games and is unlikely to have a significant NHL career. And it seemed everyone in the NHL, save for PC and Bob Green.

That's another thing to talk about, in terms of management. Bob Green was previously the Oil Kings GM, and is now director of player personnel for the Oilers. He took that position in January of 2015, before PC came on board and before those bad trades. Given his previous position with the Oil Kings, there's no much question that he would have been heavily involved in the Reinhart trade. He'd have seen him play as much as anybody. That is a huge condemnation on his competence, as well.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 10-01-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Flames beat Tampa 5-1.

On a five game winning streak.

And have a playoff spot.

It's looking like we will have to cheer for the Flames this playoffs in our quest to bring the cup back to Alberta.

That is comedy gold!

I liked it. Lol

I'm cheering for Vegas. Go Golden Knights!
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Giving up on Slepy? What is PC smoking?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Okay, I'll play - why would you keep him around?
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    I'm cheering for Vegas. Go Golden Knights!
    Imagine them winning the cup in their first year in the league. What are the odds. It's crazy success so far. Throw a team together and head for first place in the west. Behind only Tampa Bay. Amazes me.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 13-01-2018 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter
    I think he has been put in a tough spot - when Sekera went down he took on a bigger role. He is probably a bit worn out, or may even be carrying an injury.
    Well, that's a further condemnation of the trade for Larsson then. PC traded one of the top LW in the game for a RD that apparently needs sheltering and/or the perfect partner to achieve decent results. Meanwhile, 300 km's south, they got 2 better defensemen for the same or similar assets (in each case, not in total) that PC sent out for a D-man who has played 37 NHL games and is unlikely to have a significant NHL career. And it seemed everyone in the NHL, save for PC and Bob Green.

That's another thing to talk about, in terms of management. Bob Green was previously the Oil Kings GM, and is now director of player personnel for the Oilers. He took that position in January of 2015, before PC came on board and before those bad trades. Given his previous position with the Oil Kings, there's no much question that he would have been heavily involved in the Reinhart trade. He'd have seen him play as much as anybody. That is a huge condemnation on his competence, as well.
    I'd say more of a swing and a miss than incompetence, though I'd agree they gave up a lot more than I thought they had to. Reinhart was pretty good in junior. Frankly, I don't know what a Director Of Player Personnel really does.

Both teams improved with the Larsson trade. He's a solid defenceman that hits like a truck, I think he's been hurt off and on this year. the team wasn't getting it done in this division with that defence. A 77 goal swing in differential.

Chiarelli should have got an experienced backup in the offseason. It was a mistake to think this team could ride out half the season without Sekera and without a solid 1B option in goal.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Okay, I'll play - why would you keep him around?
    His contract for starters at under a million last i read. Sure he's not as good as he was last year (is anyone) but his size and his ability to cycle the puck well and he's only 23. What's any better?

Lots of posters in the comments here agree that Oilers should keep Slepy:

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...nton-slepyshev
    Last edited by envaneo; 13-01-2018 at 02:42 AM.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Montoya!
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Montoya impact is being overstated. He's an average goalie in a new spot and playing well as he always does because its a way to stay in the league a while. Montoya's best games have always been his earlier games with a club. After that nobody will be stating too much positive about his play. he's a stopgap, not a solution as #2. Not for a contending team anyway which we aren't now.

yesterday was a classic version of one team not showing up and the home team starting with all kinds of jam. Past the first 5 mins the Oilers shored things up and involving a lot more than who was in net. From the look of the game I really thought the Yotes saw a fleeting opportunity to bury the Oilers early. They were being very aggressive in offensive end.

Nurse!!! 3 G in 2 G.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

If there's any saving grace, it's that the Oilers are 7-2 against the Pacific Division, and that there are 20 more games to play. If the Oilers go 15-5, it means 30 more points for the Oilers in the standings.

I'm curious to hear how the Vegas barn compares to ours, as a facility.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

WTG guys, and Happy Birthday Conner..!

http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/l...lcome-in-vegas

Top_Dawg loves it.

Emmonton ambassadors.

At least no reports of public urination, defecation, and vomiting.

Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    I'm curious to hear how the Vegas barn compares to ours, as a facility.
    I've heard that the high end stuff is much the same, but it treats the second tier (non-corporate) fans better, with more washrooms.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The inside concourse area of T. Mobile arena is similar to Rogers Place Arena, with its high pillars. Looks good. Can't say much for the gold accents on the outside. Otherwise, nice looking arena. I'd love a weekend in Vegas (like who wouldn't?) and able to attend an Oilers game there.

C2E SME

I went to the game in Vegas, but we were up in the Hyde club, so I didn't see much of the rest of the arena. The in-game experience absolutely blows Rogers away; it's not even close, in terms of music, things going on in the seats, contests etc. It's on a whole other level. From what I recall (which admittedly has some gaps), the concourse decor looked far more finished than Rogers, which in my opinion still looks barren in a lot of places. Honestly, T-Mobile seemed to be a significant step up from Rogers in most respects. But that being said, I find that's the case for just about the entire food/liquor/service/entertainment industry in Edmonton, whether OEG is involved or not. We just don't do a very good job of that kind of thing, for whatever reason, although perhaps it's been improving over the past few years.

I was chatting with some friends who had various involvement with the building of Rogers, and there were some pretty eye opening anecdotes of how last minute many aspects of it were. I'm not even sure I'm comfortable relating some of them because they're rumors, but some dealt with actual life safety issues (fire/smoke alarm systems, etc), occupancy permits, and the like. It seems local authorities may well have bent rules to the point of breaking in some respects. None of it was particularly surprising, given how ridiculous the construction schedule was.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 16-01-2018 at 08:17 PM.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/l...lcome-in-vegas

Top_Dawg loves it.

Emmonton ambassadors.

At least no reports of public urination, defecation, and vomiting.

Yet.
    Meh! That's no different than the 100 plus games I've been to in the states with fans from both teams.....all 3 attributes that Dawg mentions plus brawls. It's in every arena and stadium world wide....this author is an obvious sports spectator rookie

s who had various involvement with the building of Rogers, and there were some pretty eye opening anecdotes of how last minute many aspects of it were.
    I've heard very, very similar things from colleagues & coworkers.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Continued Contributor

I went to the game in Vegas, but we were up in the Hyde club, so I didn't see much of the rest of the arena. The in-game experience absolutely blows Rogers away; it's not even close, in terms of music, things going on in the seats, contests etc. It's on a whole other level. From what I recall (which admittedly has some gaps), the concourse decor looked far more finished than Rogers, which in my opinion still looks barren in a lot of places. Honestly, T-Mobile seemed to be a significant step up from Rogers in most respects. But that being said, I find that's the case for just about the entire food/liquor/service/entertainment industry in Edmonton, whether OEG is involved or not. We just don't do a very good job of that kind of thing, for whatever reason, although perhaps it's been improving over the past few years.

I was chatting with some friends who had various involvement with the building of Rogers, and there were some pretty eye opening anecdotes of how last minute many aspects of it were. I'm not even sure I'm comfortable relating some of them because they're rumors, but some dealt with actual life safety issues (fire/smoke alarm systems, etc), occupancy permits, and the like. It seems local authorities may well have bent rules to the point of breaking in some respects. None of it was particularly surprising, given how ridiculous the construction schedule was.
    I think it is less so recently (5-10 years), but people didn't call Edmonton a big small town for no reason. Whether or not you agree with the stereotype now, it did it exist for a reason. I mean, BP's used to be a primary destination downtown for a lot of folks and we still have one opening in Edmonton Tower, next to a JW Marriott. It boggles my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    s who had various involvement with the building of Rogers, and there were some pretty eye opening anecdotes of how last minute many aspects of it were.
    I've heard very, very similar things from colleagues & coworkers.
    Worked closely with many trades who were working on Rogers, Have heard some very eye-opening details about the construction of the facility as well. Some significant corners were cut getting this building completed on time
    Parkdale

Just b/c things aren't bad enough, Nuge placed on injured reserve: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...erve-1.4493684
    ... gobsmacked

C2E SME

Thankfully just a bruised sternum. My first impression of the hit was that his shoulder had been hurt, so that's good news.

^yup, thought the same.

Time to book some golf for May.
    www.decl.org

Now it's cracked ribs, 5-6 weeks. At least it probably makes him less desirable to trade? I'm having trouble being positive these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    Now it's cracked ribs, 5-6 weeks. At least it probably makes him less desirable to trade? I'm having trouble being positive these days.
    Yeah, but knowing Chia with Nuge going out as "Oilers leading goal scorer" the temptation to flame that in trade discussions is probably eminent in offseason.

I really doubt we see much of RNH the remainder of this season. Maybe half a dozen games.

Oh well, we get Pacman called up now instead of a Paccioretti trade.

But I don't doubt Chia will pull trigger in offseason. Especially if McLellan ends up getting canned.

C2E SME

Cracked ribs? Yeesh, he really is made of glass. It was a hard hit, but didn't seem that hard. I'm having flashbacks of his toe pick and light collision with the boards wrecking a shoulder. Feel bad for the guy, he just can't stay healthy. If he doesn't play again this season, or only a few games at the end, he'll only be at about 80% of possible games played since he started.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 19-01-2018 at 03:16 PM.

^Two games in a row Nuge got nailed with a hit. Both times he tried to evade the hit which is often times a mistake. 2 games ago he tries to sidestep a hit and gets spun around and lucky not to injure himself. Last game he turns around sideways instead of absorbing the hit straight on. He arguably made himself increasingly vulnerable by going sideways. he even ran the risk of concussion as taking the hit sideways flew his head back and forth and I think also resulted in some head contact.

I don't know how things are now but we used to be told not to try to avoid the hit and that you instead prepare for the hit and just take it. In both instances Nuge didn't do that. Smyth on either play would go right into the hit with his lumber up. Sends a message to opponents as well.

McNabb is a solid hitter but you are right this is a routine "got all of him" kind of hit. Smyth in prime would be seeing half a dozen of these any time we played the Dallas Stars.

C2E SME

Better comparison in physique and player type is Hemsky, and we all know what Regehr and Co. did to his health over the years. It's actually amazing Hemsky survived: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGBam_rB1Wg

Hemsky needed to pick his spots a bit better though. He would hang around and stand up when Regehr was charging him. In those instances Hemsky had time to get out of the way and easily avoid the hit. On any of the above Hemsky could just peel off rather than get killed along the boards.

credit though, Hemsky backed off very little, even when he should

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^yup, thought the same.

Time to book some golf for May.
    That time came at the beginning of December...

C2E SME

Oilers beat the Canucks 5-2! I like Puljujarvi's performance tonight!

I think the rink-rats Puljujarvi was playing with over the break showed him some new moves.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...izza-1.4493949

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

What a great game, loved it.

Oilers beat the Canucks 5-2! I like Puljujarvi's performance tonight!
    Not too curiously the best game of his NHL career thus far happening with Draisaitl who is really good at getting stuff going with big linemates. That line just dominated. Boards rattling beauty that line was and Drai finding Pulju all night and then the kid returning the favor.

Strangely Lucic not too good on the night and even Khaira on the one shift looked better with them.

C2E SME

Paul Coffey rejoining Oilers organization:

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...c-2d96d81a7aea

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

there's a maximum number of players a team is allowed to have under contract as well as an overall salary cap.

for the oilers, maybe there should also be a maximum number of ex-players the team should be allowed to have under contract as well as an overall salary cap for them.

in this case, if paul is coming in then a full welcome should be accorded but maybe there should be at least two others cut to make room...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Great game by Jesse, Patty and Juj.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

It would be embarrassing for the Oilers to lose to the alumni.

Of course the Coffey hire reeks of cronyism by Katz and Gretzky (a HHOF Oiler with only bantam AAA coaching experience), however I don't think the skills coaches are in any decision-making capacity that I'm aware of, Coffey is not replacing anyone, plus this looks like an attempt to develop a PP QB in-house instead of trading for one (especially with Darnell Nurse upping his offence). Time will tell how this pans out.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Puljujarvi's time in Bakersfield really helped his game this season.

Win and hopefully keep winning despite losing our leading goal scorer, RNH, to injury. It's bringing out some new line combinations that seem to be working, so far.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

there's a maximum number of players a team is allowed to have under contract as well as an overall salary cap.

for the oilers, maybe there should also be a maximum number of ex-players the team should be allowed to have under contract as well as an overall salary cap for them.

in this case, if paul is coming in then a full welcome should be accorded but maybe there should be at least two others cut to make room...
    You know what will fix the Oilers? Hiring a "development coach" who's been so dedicated to learning his craft since he retired that no one's heard of him in a professional capacity since.

Seriously though, nothing against Coffey, but what the hell is this supposed to accomplish? The organization already has a serious public image problem of hiring from the Old Boy's club to it's detriment. So their solution in a shockingly disappointing season is to add another Old Boy? Is Chiarelli now also drinking the Kool-Aid? Nicholson? Or is the owner actively interfering in hiring again? The optics of this are terrible, but I don't think the organization has the first clue how bad this looks from the outside.

You know what will fix the Oilers? Hiring a "development coach" who's been so dedicated to learning his craft since he retired that no one's heard of him in a professional capacity since.

Seriously though, nothing against Coffey, but what the hell is this supposed to accomplish? The organization already has a serious public image problem of hiring from the Old Boy's club to it's detriment. So their solution in a shockingly disappointing season is to add another Old Boy? Is Chiarelli now also drinking the Kool-Aid? Nicholson? Or is the owner actively interfering in hiring again? The optics of this are terrible, but I don't think the organization has the first clue how bad this looks from the outside.
    No surprise there. Even the way they run in-house production of media at games is tightly controlled relatively speaking. The Oilers are a top down ship and have no clue, nor do they care about what happens outside. Just trace back to the comment about tiered fans and you have all the information you need on what the Oilers organization thinks of the outside.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Of course the Coffey hire reeks of cronyism by Katz and Gretzky (a HHOF Oiler with only bantam AAA coaching experience), however I don't think the skills coaches are in any decision-making capacity that I'm aware of, Coffey is not replacing anyone, plus this looks like an attempt to develop a PP QB in-house instead of trading for one (especially with Darnell Nurse upping his offence). Time will tell how this pans out.
    I agree. Time will tell. I'm reminded of how the New York Islanders hired Doug Weight to be an assistant coach a few years ago right after he retired - No previous coaching experience - and with a year he became their head coach. And from what I can see he is doing a pretty good job.

It's almost become like the life of a politician. Get in for a couple terms and you have a pension/income for life.
    Win a couple cups with the Oilers (or even not a la Buchberger) and get a random, ill-suited job for life once you call up Katz.

As much as anyone, I'm leary of yet another old boys club hire.

This one though, I like. The actual title though I think is, the Oscar Klefbom mentor. Coffey was a measured risk taker. So is Klef - just not measuring very good this year.

Think Coffey will do a world of good for Klef. And that'll do a world of good for the Oilers.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ I'm kind of like you on this. But PC won 4 Stanley's, PC knows what he's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    It's almost become like the life of a politician. Get in for a couple terms and you have a pension/income for life.
    Win a couple cups with the Oilers (or even not a la Buchberger) and get a random, ill-suited job for life once you call up Katz.
    Bucky did win 2 Cups with the Oilers.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Agreed, theres a lot to be concerned about this move in the OBC direction but that already had occurred with the Gretz and Mess hires. My other concern is that tactically, the present day NHL game would be foreign to Coffey.
    I can't help but think either that the players, if they were able to be honest about it, would be distracted by the prior greats and have a bit of a difficulty trying to compare to that. In the 90's a player like Jason Arnott and others spoke about it, spoke about Oilers life in the shadow of giants. Why is the org doing this to another generation of players? It was already a mistake decades earlier.

So here we have the oilers playing in front of old hawkeyes in the stands analyzing what they do with no clearly set or defined role descriptions and whats a player to think about that? I can see one on one work, unit work, of some type and assisting players but its the watched nature of this team that just makes it more difficult. In any game recently even on roadtrips the Oilers have Gretzky, Chia, management in the stands watching. its not always a good thing. Players develop the uncomfortable feel that their every shift could be their undoing. This adds to playing scared.

Finally, its arrogance of any of the OBC to think that they have result altering impacts on the game of hockey in this time frame. Gretz himself was a poor coach, McT, Lowe not particularly good coaches or GM's. Just because you were a great decades ago doesn't mean you have much to offer other than encouragement now. If it was just that it could be done on a consultancy occasional basis, not as hires.
    Last edited by Replacement; 22-01-2018 at 12:51 PM.

It would be far better to rid ourselves of the PK and PP coaches and get real ones.

C2E SME

If they wanted a skills coach who was also a phenomenal player and happened to briefly play with the Oilers, then hire someone like Adam Oates. You know, a guy who's actually been working in a professional capacity in hockey, has actual NHL coaching experience, and so on (see here: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/a...-new-frontier/). What's next? Are they going to pull Fuhr off the golf course to get him to show Talbot how to be a stand-up goaltender? I see no reason whatsoever to hire Coffey, other than he played for the team in the glory years. His resume outside of that is non-existent.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From YEG View Post
    It would be far better to rid ourselves of the PK and PP coaches and get real ones.

The time to act was in December.

But Chiarelli did sweet dick.

And Bobby Dick was busy thinking of more burgers to name after himself.

Won't do jackshit now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From YEG View Post

The time to act was in December.

But Chiarelli did sweet dick.

And Bobby Dick was busy thinking of more burgers to name after himself.

Won't do jackshit now.
    and yet curiously going cheapest price for resale tickets to the Nucks game was 90bucks. With fees adds up to +100. With burger and fries and wobbly pops just take out a loan. its pretty incredible to me what people are still willing to pay. As recently as 1996 when the team tanked again the going rate for resales was about 20 bucks. I can't really rationalize paying 100bucks to see a hockey game. Although I did pay that much to see Game 7 between the Flyers and Oilers but that's different. SC deciding game and 99bucks got you a brunch and game ticket. heh, Forum Inn. They were gallery seats but still. you never forget a team winning the SC in game 7. Theres no better experience ever in sports. But paying minimum that much to see game 48 in an 82 game schedule with the team already sunk? nah, pass...

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    SC deciding game and 99bucks got you a brunch and game ticket. heh, Forum Inn.
    Now that's livin' large.

But yeah, Top_Dawg hears ya.

He wouldn't drop a dime on a NHL game when you can basically watch it for free.

In the comfort of home or at a bar.

And not have to sit through three hours, crammed in with a bunch of drunken chalupa heads, many of whom haven't showered in days.

And even some devotees that Top_Dawg knows who have season tickets have told him that the in game experience at Roger's is awful.

Every stoppage of play sees the music immediately blared to the point that one can't even talk to a friend seated right beside.

They hate it.

Yes the way things are heading people will be missing the good old days at Northlands

Now that's livin' large.

And not have to sit through three hours, crammed in with a bunch of drunken chalupa heads, many of whom haven't showered in days.

And even some devotees that Top_Dawg knows who have season tickets have told him that the in game experience at Roger's is awful.

Every stoppage of play sees the music immediately blared to the point that one can't even talk to a friend seated right beside.

They hate it.
    Yep. When I'm in my rec room somebody isn't moving their *** across my line of view every few minutes looking for more beer, snacks, washrooms. Going to a game is just a ridiculous experience. Almost continually people trying to go get something. Makes me wonder why these people throw hundreds of bucks on a game just to be in the concourse lined up half the time. Then add the leanover people in front blocking view, often wearing hats and usually 6 ft 6. Seems to always happen to me. If I had DRL I would go to games but other than that not a very enjoyable experience in upper bowl. Deserves to be mentioned to that Gallery seats at Rexall, being beween the goal lines are more enjoyable. The cheap seats, few as they are, at Rogers tend to be in the corners behind the net. I prefer a side view just like watching at home.

Halfway through this Buffalo game and the Oilers are sucking big time. 3-0 Buffalo. It seems like they are out of sync and a bit lethargic. I'm hoping for things to turn around.

5-0 I think hard to keep track.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Calgarys Nancy Southern must smile when she sees those adds for Atco being proud to be the energy supplier for COE owned Rogers Place with Capital Power and Epcor being in the neighborhood.

It seems like the oilers are on drugs tonight, or maybe they need some.

Now that's livin' large.

They hate it.
    Yep. When I'm in my rec room somebody isn't moving their *** across my line of view every few minutes looking for more beer, snacks, washrooms. Going to a game is just a ridiculous experience. Almost continually people trying to go get something. Makes me wonder why these people throw hundreds of bucks on a game just to be in the concourse lined up half the time. Then add the leanover people in front blocking view, often wearing hats and usually 6 ft 6. Seems to always happen to me. If I had DRL I would go to games but other than that not a very enjoyable experience in upper bowl. Deserves to be mentioned to that Gallery seats at Rexall, being beween the goal lines are more enjoyable. The cheap seats, few as they are, at Rogers tend to be in the corners behind the net. I prefer a side view just like watching at home.
    I'm fully aware of my Tier 2 fan status and won't likely be visiting the Plaza of the Oligarchs for a game anytime soon so my opinion is of no value. But I have to echo Replacement here. What is with people dropping major coin on a good seat straggling in 3 minutes into a period because they needed more cheese sauce for the nacho's? The mind whirls.

5 zilch at the end of the second vs Buffalo. Just friggin' wow.
    Last edited by ajs; 23-01-2018 at 08:41 PM. Reason: katzs' creepy 80's oilers doll collection

Sure glad I didn't pay for that turd...

Total lack if performance. Coaching staff useless to motivate or hold accountable, what's the point of having them? Players just coasting around listless.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

How does that song go again... "Blinded by the light...." Geese guys, the Oilers are playing possum for Calgary. When Calgary gets here, it'll be a different game.

Most of you have written the Oilers off around Christmas. Me? I'm in denial

I'm fully aware of my Tier 2 fan status and won't likely be visiting the Plaza of the Oligarchs for a game anytime soon so my opinion is of no value. But I have to echo Replacement here. What is with people dropping major coin on a good seat straggling in 3 minutes into a period because they needed more cheese sauce for the nacho's? The mind whirls.

5 zilch at the end of the second vs Buffalo. Just friggin' wow.
    Don't ya mean, Oil-garchs?

Seriously though guys and gals. This soap-opera isn't worth anyone's time. The quicker you get off that wagon and go find new hobbies and activities, the quicker you'll feel better.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

C2E SME

The Oilers sent out a season seat satisfaction survey yesterday afternoon. They're going to get some interesting responses.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    5-0 I think hard to keep track.
    is it hard to keep track because it was 5 - 0 or because it was 5 - 0 AGAIN? at home.

maybe there's some secret trophy somewhere for the team that ends the season with the largest negative goals for/against for an entire season or for the greatest number of large negative goals for/against games in a season that we're not aware of.

maybe it's time to put the entire current team in the press box for one game and ice the boys on the bus instead and see how well they do against the las vegas golden knights or the winnipeg jets. at the end of 60 minutes maybe the current team and current management/ownership will realize it's now up to the current team to win - or not win - on their own because that 80's team simply can't carry things any more on or off the ice regardless of how many reunions and "special nights" they host.

it's one thing to have an on-going legacy and expectation of winning to live up to. it's quite another when, other than for two fluke seasons a decade apart, there hasn't been a legacy of winning for a very long time.

it's one thing to go through regular re-building when you are regularly re-building a winner. it's becoming pretty apparent that regular re-building when you're regularly re-building a non-winner doesn't generate the same kind of results. i don't think the problems are in the dressing room with players and middle management. this appears to be more of a senior management/ownership corporate culture issue.

i've been one of those "tier 2" fans since the team played in the whl with orange pucks and have been a big supporter of the importance of the team to our civic culture and identity. i've also been - and continue to be - a big supporter of the new arena coming downtown. some days however, it just seems so much like a one-way street it's simply tiring.

i don't have any real world magic bullet answers other than above tongue in cheek suggestion but whatever it turns out to be it's pretty clear that it has to be something drastically different than what they've been doing for far too long.
    Last edited by kcantor; 24-01-2018 at 08:18 AM.

Maybe we can swap teams with another town? Ownership and all. It is quite obvious there is a senior leadership problem in Edmonton.

Man, that was a sad game. Maroon had already given up after the first goal. Got beat to easy pucks several times throughout the game and I haven't seen anyone mention it. I guess it is because everyone else on the team was doing the same thing. Sad that people will show up to the next game and cheer this tire fire on.

The Oilers sent out a season seat satisfaction survey yesterday afternoon. They're going to get some interesting responses.
    They certainly got mine and it was before last night's fiasco. which I unfortunately attended until the 50/50 draw that the clowns didn't do until less than 10 minutes left....

Top_Dawg giggled when he read ol' Jonesy this morning.

http://edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey...even-less-will

That was inexcusable, and it’s getting to the point where some people are going to have to get excused around here.

You should know that there is an Oilers season seat holder breakfast with Oilers Entertainment Group CEO Bob Nicholson and Chiarelli scheduled for 7:30 a.m. Wednesday morning.

Absolutely perfect timing.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    Maybe we can swap teams with another town? Ownership and all. It is quite obvious there is a senior leadership problem in Edmonton.

Man, that was a sad game. Maroon had already given up after the first goal. Got beat to easy pucks several times throughout the game and I haven't seen anyone mention it. I guess it is because everyone else on the team was doing the same thing. Sad that people will show up to the next game and cheer this tire fire on.
    emphasis added...

interestingly enough, pocklington and ballard almost completed a deal to do exactly that in 1980... the oilers would have ended up in the old maple leaf gardens and the leafs playing in the "new" coliseum. each of them would have retained their ownership so it would have been a swap, ownership and all.

C2E SME

It comes from the very top, which is Daryl Katz. He just can't help himself from meddling with the team. The slavish regard for the glory years is ridiculous. We're talking almost 30 years ago, now! Even the fact that he brings his son up on stage during the NHL draft is tacky and distasteful, in my opinion. I'm sure he's a nice kid/guy, but he has no business being up there. Just like Lowe, MacTavish, and Howson have no business still collecting a pay cheque for the organization, given that they're directly responsible for the last 15+ years of abject failure. As I've said before, I've met the latter 2 and they're good enough people, and Lowe probably is too. But what does it say to everyone else in the organization that they continue to be employed by it? And from what I gather, PC's brother is a scout for the team, as well as several other relations of other management/executives. Keith Gretzky is the assistant GM. It's nepotism from top to bottom.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast