Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Oilers 2017-18 Season

C2E Hard Core Contributor

That assist from McDavid will probably be on TSN's play of the year bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    That assist from McDavid will probably be on TSN's play of the year bracket.
    If McDavid played in Eastern Canada it would be. If he was on the Leafs it would be.

I'm happy that it happened in an original six barn and caused the learned Hawks crowd to gasp in admiration. How to quiet a crowd down, that and the Cubs were getting eliminated..
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ A perfect storm. Nice to see RNH picking things up. Best face off man on our team.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Wow. They played a game this morning? 2-1 loss to the Flyers.

This team better get their act together.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ They will.

Team really struggling with offense without Draisaitl. Seems that almost everything the team does goes through McD now.

Nice goal by Maroon, Lucic played well, but being handcuffed with Nuge has got to be frustrating.

Lucic needs to be on a heavy line. Not with a Center performing Ice capades routines.

Watch Nugent Hopkins out there. If hockey was tag, and the object was not to be touched out there, Nuge would be owning. It often seems is whole intent is avoiding getting hit. He got nailed one anyway.

I could Fathom Nuges pacifist play if only he could produce something with any consistency.
    Last edited by Replacement; 22-10-2017 at 10:01 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Hint: Face off % best on the team

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    ^ Hint: Face off % best on the team
    May as well be stated the only time it ever could be stated. The guys that are typically good at faceoffs have had to make adjustments and or are getting thrown out of the dot repeatedly. Nuge does a pretty standard faceoff and so less impacted by the rule changes. I wonder if he's above 50% by year end. Anyway since Drai injury, and Nuge getting to step up and play the topsix minutes everybody wants for him he's -2 and 1 measly pt in those games. A second assist.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I know it's early, but this team needs to come together soon. Who would have predicted the Oilers being the lowest scoring team in the NHL at this point?

Averaging 1.88 goals per game doesn't cut it, especially with this team. Teams really keying on McDavid. Need contribution from 2nd line, and others too. I wonder if Draisaitl is feeling right. Khaira, Pakarinen, Kassian line barely hit the ice, so can't really blame them.

Even Vegas have 3 on Blackhawks tonight (now 4). Lightning got 7 on Pittsburgh on Saturday.

What is the problem?

Injuries shouldn't be a big excuse. Lots of teams have them right now. The Ducks were missing Getzlaf, Fowler, Vatanen, Kesler, Miller, and Eaves, and still 4-3-1.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 24-10-2017 at 10:28 PM.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

C2E SME

I wonder what's going to happen with Yamamoto after Thursday's game (9th game). He's come so close to his first goal many times.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I know it's early, but this team needs to come together soon. Who would have predicted the Oilers being the lowest scoring team in the NHL at this point?

Averaging 1.88 goals per game doesn't cut it, especially with this team. Teams really keying on McDavid. Need contribution from 2nd line, and others too. I wonder if Draisaitl is feeling right. Khaira, Pakarinen, Kassian line barely hit the ice, so can't really blame them.

Even Vegas have 3 on Blackhawks tonight. Lightning got 7 on Pittsburgh on Saturday.

What is the problem?

Injuries shouldn't be a big excuse. Lots of teams have them right now. The Ducks were missing Getzlaf, Fowler, Vatanen, Kesler, Miller, and Eaves, and still 4-3-1.
    Its quite simply a one line team.

Lucic was supposed to come in here and replace the Hall production but Lucic had 11EV goals last season. Most of his goals were on PP playing with McDavid or Drai.

heres a problem as I see it. A team should be able to rely on some production from Lucic, Nuge, Strome line. This is what Chia thought and McLellan is trying to run with. But any production those guys have had is playing with members of the first line. The 2nd line is getting precious little done.

We traded 3#1 picks away and kept the least dangerous goal scorer. Nuge can't even setup plays anymore. He's just a ghost. Tonight he passed the puck to Pens 5 times in his own zone. His line took 15 secs in OT, on their first shift, to give the Pens the extra point with Lucic and Nuge getting caught up ice. With Lucic at least trying to fight his way back.

This team is looking like a tire fire because next to McD, and DRai the best forward on it is Maroon. That's not going to be a very deep lineup. We have half a dozen forwards that can't do a damned thing.

Hands up if you thought 9-ish games in, Edmonton would be 29th in the league, and Vegas would be almost at the top (3rd place in the league).

No one?

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    heres a problem as I see it. A team should be able to rely on some production from Lucic, Nuge, Strome line. This is what Chia thought and McLellan is trying to run with. But any production those guys have had is playing with members of the first line. The 2nd line is getting precious little done.
    Lets Add Up the stats YTD:

CMD 9 points
    PM 6 points
    KY/LD 6 points

21 points total

RS/ZK 3 points
    RNH 3 points
    ML 3 points

9 points total

That's about what you would expect albeit a small sample, a second line typically generates roughly half of what a first line generates, there is nothing odd here.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/a...ction-analysis

I think the team just needs to play 50 for a while, and we are starting to see that. At some point there should be a streak, and it will all be fine again.
    Last edited by moahunter; 25-10-2017 at 09:43 AM.

C2E SME

They could easily have had 2-3 more goals last night, with that unreal/lucky save by Murray and several other scrambles. And the powerplay is looking a bit better as well. It's going to come.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Lets Add Up the stats YTD:

CMD 9 points
    PM 6 points
    KY/LD 6 points

21 points total

RS/ZK 3 points
    RNH 3 points
    ML 3 points

9 points total

That's about what you would expect albeit a small sample, a second line typically generates roughly half of what a first line generates, there is nothing odd here.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/a...ction-analysis

I think the team just needs to play 50 for a while, and we are starting to see that. At some point there should be a streak, and it will all be fine again.
    With a couple exceptions. Most o the production of the 2nd line is occurring through contact with the first line, or first unit PP. For instance Lucic goals typically being scored on the PP, on first unit, and Nuge having one of his 2 goals outside of his line. The 2nd line itself, in tact, isn't really producing much.

Next, Oilers pay 15m for a 2nd line that isn't generating. This is a pricy 2nd line for what they are contributing.

Obviously Drai would have more pts, and so to would the topline if Drai had not missed 4games.

Finally, we just played a team who's 2nd and 3rd line blows our 2nd line production out of the water. To be a contending team, even a playoff team you need better contribution, more balanced contribution.
    Last edited by Replacement; 25-10-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    They could easily have had 2-3 more goals last night, with that unreal/lucky save by Murray and several other scrambles. And the powerplay is looking a bit better as well. It's going to come.
    Goes both ways. Talbot was sensational and that splits he did to make the skate save at the post was phenomenal. Moreso due to the anticipation. A lot of goalies would have been faked out on that play.

Also, Talbot stoning the Pens in the first allowed the Oilers to feel their way into the game. Oilers were getting outplayed again in first.

With a couple exceptions. Most o the production of the 2nd line is occurring through contact with the first line, or first unit PP.
    You could equally write, "With a couple of exceptions, most of the production of the 1st line is occurring through contact with the second line, or first/second unit PP". At the end of the day it doesn't matter where the goals are scored, what matters is who wins. Talbot had a very slow start, the D started very shaky and clearly miss Sekera. Last year you also claimed that the wheels were going to fall off (because supposedly the schedule was against the toughest teams at end of year before post season), I said they wouldn't (as the travel was going to be less), and they didn't. While I'm not happy with the start (I believe the team needs to get more physical), I think there are some good signs the last few games. I realize you are always looking for an opportunity to apply your anti Nuge / Lucic agenda, the stats don't back it up. While Lucic isn't lighting it up yet, Nuge in particular has almost universally been acclaimed as one of the Oilers best forwards so far this year, his weakest area, the F/O, has improved significantly (perhaps related to the new rules around it), 53% versus 44% last year.
    Last edited by moahunter; 25-10-2017 at 11:22 AM.

Oilers look like a real team again after the road trip. They were out played last night but they looked good. Much better than the opening home stretch where they were beyond awful. Now they just need some W's.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Oilers look like a real team again after the road trip. They were out played last night but they looked good. Much better than the opening home stretch where they were beyond awful. Now they just need some W's.
    I hpe you're right. But the oilers always play better against top teams. Its their play against teams they figure they can beat easy that is arguably as much of a concern. We have lost games to Vancouver, Winnipeg, Carolina this season. We played badly in all of them.

unfortunately I think this club is blasé when it plays teams that are not top echelon clubs. They even had the arrogance not to respect Ottawa as an opponent.

Several players in the lineup overachieved last season. Chia really didn't do anything to improve the club or solidify gain.

We got an old Jokinen, the wrong Strome, Auvitu on D, and Malone. Those were the big additions. Almost any other team in the league bolstered their lineup more adequately. These are easily had pickups. You could man the waiver wire and nothing else and get this nature of recruits.

I hpe you're right. But the oilers always play better against top teams. Its their play against teams they figure they can beat easy that is arguably as much of a concern. We have lost games to Vancouver, Winnipeg, Carolina this season. We played badly in all of them.

unfortunately I think this club is blasé when it plays teams that are not top echelon clubs. They even had the arrogance not to respect Ottawa as an opponent.

Several players in the lineup overachieved last season. Chia really didn't do anything to improve the club or solidify gain.

We got an old Jokinen, the wrong Strome, Auvitu on D, and Malone. Those were the big additions. Almost any other team in the league bolstered their lineup more adequately. These are easily had pickups. You could man the waiver wire and nothing else and get this nature of recruits.
    It'll be a much bigger challenge next season if the cap doesn't go up significantly, and there's no reason to believe it will. McD's huge contract kicks in. And, of course, the one really bright spot this year has been Nurse, and they have to sign him next year too (current cap hit well under $1M I believe). They'll also need to sign Maroon, and he'll get more than his cap hit of $1,500,000. Letestu is an unrestricted free agent, and could command more than his current cap hit of $1,800,000. Caggiula and Benning also RFA's.

Yikes! That $12M to Lucic and RNH looking really bad right now.

They'll turn it around, I think, but as I've said just about every season over the last decade, early season points count just as much as later season playoff race points. If they think there's pressure now, just wait.

Score first, for a change, and it'll make a huge difference.

I thought Auvitu was great a couple seasons ago, but he sure slid since then. Sort of like Benning. Benning was found money last year, but I've never thought of him as a solid top 4 defenceman. Strome is the same player he's been the past few seasons. I thought Malone looked good, but he's not the answer, obviously.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

^I think have to be a little careful assessing Jokinen or Strome too soon. It can take a little bit to adjust, different team mates, different style of play. I'll never forget how MacT bought in Peca, talked about giving him top minutes, and he wasn't really suited to it, but at the end of the day, Peca was one of the most important players in the playoffs, playing the 2-way role he had built his career around.

^I think have to be a little careful assessing Jokinen or Strome too soon. It can take a little bit to adjust, different team mates, different style of play. I'll never forget how MacT bought in Peca, talked about giving him top minutes, and he wasn't really suited to it, but at the end of the day, Peca was one of the most important players in the playoffs, playing the 2-way role he had built his career around.
    Jokinen has been in the league for 16 seasons. Don't think it's too early to assess what kind of player he is. Along with Strome, the Oilers are getting exactly the kind of player they should expect.

Theres really no similarity in the play of Peca vs Jokinen. Peca was a physical monster for his size. A guy that was as well trained as hockey players get. That had acceleration to get to the areas, tirelessly defend, hammer people, and check with more force per pound than anybody I've seen. The guy was a force of nature. I haven't seen Jokinen ever be that guy. I question how good Jokinen is at this age as well. This was an easy pickup for Chia, but not a lot of help.

Theres really no similarity in the play of Peca vs Jokinen. Peca was a physical monster for his size. A guy that was as well trained as hockey players get. That had acceleration to get to the areas, tirelessly defend, hammer people, and check with more force per pound than anybody I've seen. The guy was a force of nature. I haven't seen Jokinen ever be that guy. I question how good Jokinen is at this age as well. This was an easy pickup for Chia, but not a lot of help.
    I actually think Jokinen is playing better than I expected. He's a good player, and there's a reason he's been in the league for 15+ years. He doesn't make many mistakes, and is very good positionally. He has to be. But there are lots of players in that category. I think he's useful, but that's it. Not going to hurt you, but not going to help you get many goals, and the Oilers need secondary scoring.

When all the big contracts kick in, I expect a lot of players like Jokinen. Role players.

Older cyclists don't lose a lot of speed, and hockey players use the same muscles for speed. But even a little bit can make a big difference, which is why you don't see senior category cyclists win the Tour.

I don't put any of this on Strome or Jokinen. They're performing as expected. Strome is at his ceiling, and Jokinen is below his, and on the way down.

Well it's half past three and the dumb bulls are half asleep.

Top_Dawg is gonna make his great escape and head to the Westmount area to get a good seat.

Watch the mighty Leafs beat up on the sorry azz 'Canes.

And then Miami at Baltimore.

Have a great weekend everybody.

Awesome win (despite some shakey defence). Almost back at 50 with 3-5-1 - a couple more wins and all is fine. Another great game by Nuge - he looks every bit a six million dollar player this year. TM talking after the game said they asked him to take more risks this year with a view to him getting back over 20 goals, seems the advice is working. Lucic - Nuge - Strome played excellent together. That frees up Draisaitil to stay as a winger where he has the chemistry with McDavid (albeit he is an expensive winger, but whatever works), he had a good night too.
    Last edited by moahunter; 27-10-2017 at 06:13 AM.

C2E SME

3 PP goals against. They played a pretty good game except for that last night. Five even strength goals for, which probably doesn't say much good about the powerplay. Let's hope the scoring woes are mostly gone. If so, special teams are the last pieces that needs to get figured out.

It was Dallas. The Stars still don't defend well.

First period. McD home free on a breakaway, Bishop stones him.

2mins later Dallas lets McD break in again and this time he makes a perfect shot, 1-0. You know that Dallas is like this and why they miss the playoffs. its a microcosm of their lack of attention to detail. Stars still play an offense fist game and Bishop isn't good anymore.

Oilers had 2 puck go in off skates last night. So they got some puck luck for once. it wasn't a tight game and our PK was awful. Nuge had a weak first period having a role in 2Ga and made amends later scoring 2 goals.

We found a way last night but Dallas are pretty good slumpbusters for teams having trouble scoring.

Oil have lost games they should have won, and maybe won a game last night they should have lost.

But one thing for sure, watching Ken Hitchcock, players not being defensive won't be with Dallas much longer.
    ... gobsmacked

The Sequel Cafe @TheSequelCafe
    "We saw The Alex Ovechkin take off his winter jacket and hat and give it to a homeless man he passed on the street. Wow! #gooddeeds"

https://twitter.com/TheSequelCafe/st...35934508564481
    www.decl.org

In other news, Oilers take night off and give win to Caps. Generous.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

One good deed deserves another. Back to the drawing board for this team of ours.

Awful quiet around here, with an emphasis on awful.

Every game it's something different. It's hard to pin down the problem, but when you stack the top line it makes it a lot harder on the other three lines.

If Draisaitl is all that he should be centering his own line. Can still put McD and Drai together sometimes, but the Oilers need to spread it around.

C2E SME

Larsson does not take the player, especially when the Pens went up 3-2.

Awful quiet around here, with an emphasis on awful.

Every game it's something different. It's hard to pin down the problem, but when you stack the top line it makes it a lot harder on the other three lines.

If Draisaitl is all that he should be centering his own line. Can still put McD and Drai together sometimes, but the Oilers need to spread it around.
    Terrible special teams, no depth scoring, 10 forwards playing that shouldn't even be in the NHL and couldn't score an EV goal to save their lives. We have around 5 forwards on the team that are a legitimate threat to score at EV. Chia just left a putrid lineup for this season. The chance of getting a result when around 8 of your forwards any given night can't score a goal becomes remote.

Top_Dawg iz lovin' it.

Things are almost as fuqed up as the Lowe / MacT days.

Ol' Toddski must be feeling the noose tightening around his balls.

Couple more weeks of this and chicken choker Chiarelli will have to $hitcan McLellan.

Just to save his own azz.

C2E Continued Contributor

Biggest problems right now...the Power Play and Penalty Kill.

Power Play is stagnant, predictable, and the 1-3-1 formation the middle guy is largely unused, and often isn't a threat to get the puck away quickly, as its often a left handed shot with McDavid on the right half wall, the one time option from the slot really isn't there, so its passed around the perimeter a bunch, and basically its mostly Klefbom and Letestu as the trigger men. Too easy to defend, especially when McDavid elects to pass instead of shoot.

Penalty Kill is too passive, gaps are too big, and missed assignments.

5x5 they are doing fairly well with, even if not a lot of scoring, they're usually not letting a lot in either at even strength.

It was a loss by 1 goal, at one point were ahead. The Penguins are weak at the moment, but that's normal for them, its hard for Stanley Cup teams at the beginning of the new season as they don't get as much time to rest and juice for the next season. I read some stat that Oilers will play a game every two days in November - this month is make or break, I think its a bit silly to claim its break yet though. There are some positive's, Nuge looks a totally different player this year - 5 goals, so well on pace for over 20. I think they need to move Draisaitl off CMD's wing, he is wasted there and on his salary should be carrying a line all by himself. Maybe a minor trade is needed to bring in someone with more penalty kill knowledge.

Oilers seemed to come alive against New Jersey. Heck of a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Much needed - a couple more and all of a sudden the band wagon haters will be silenced, of course a couple more losses and they will be back. Nuge is Oilers top goal scorer... it’s great to see him back. I think overcoming a little rust /adversity / Poor disicpline, at the start of the season won’t be a bad thing -need to sustain the effort this month and go a bit over 500.

Much needed - a couple more and all of a sudden the band wagon haters will be silenced, of course a couple more losses and they will be back. Nuge is Oilers top goal scorer... it’s great to see him back. I think overcoming a little rust /adversity / Poor disicpline, at the start of the season won’t be a bad thing -need to sustain the effort this month and go a bit over 500.
    Playing 10 games in 20 nights (8 to go), one every second day, could really help this team find it's rhythm. I wouldn't be surprised to see a bit of a run.

That said, these next 16 days mean the season if they don't put something together. I expect they will.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm impressed with RNH's playing lately. He's going to get 20 goals this year for sure.

C2E SME

Great to see Caggiula, Strome and Klefbom get goals.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm not watching this game, but following it and refreshing the browser every 10 minutes or so.

If the Oilers are around this position in the standings in January, there goes the season.

I'm hoping for a come back but not holding my breath.

Not watching either and feel sorry for the people in the stands.

^ January? If they don’t pull their heads out of there asses and win some games in Nov they are finished by the end of the month.

Draft lottery here we come.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ 3-0 in the 3rd. Doesn't look good.

I was being optimistic.

Draft lottery? Too early for that. I'm predicting Oilers 10th in the West, based on how the team looks much like it was before McDavid.

C2E Long Term Contributor

What the hell Oilers. Absolutely brutal stuff.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

ouch!

All hinges on where they are at on US Thanksgiving. If not in a good spot then unlikely to make playoffs.

Something is going on with this team. Lack of confidence. - everyone playing above their capability last year not this year. Hell maybe burn those new jerseys they are bad luck.

Team seems slow. Maybe some trades.

It's a combination of things. They've really missed Sekera, last season's Talbot hasn't really shown up yet, their special teams are non-existent, and the physical play has largely been absent.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

I'm sure glad that we swapped Eberle for Strome/Russell, cap-space wise.

Not.

Honestly though, Chiarelli's strikes are piling up pretty quickly now. Matthew Barzal is the second line center on the Isles now, while Reinhart continues to toil in the AHL. The Lucic signing looks worse and worse by the game. The Eberle trade was horrid. Although I admit he had to be traded somewhere after his playoff performance, the return is brutal. The Russell signing is atrocious as well. At this point, the negatives are starting to significantly outweigh the positives in terms of the moves he's made.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 05-11-2017 at 05:35 PM.

Chia should be fired for what the Oilers bottomsix and bottom pairings look like at this point but he won't be.

Theres 5 forwards on this whole club worth having. After that the dropoff is extreme.

Theres 2 D currently worth having.

A great goalie

that's it

A great goalie? His GPA is solid, GAA not so much.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Look at the team defending in front of him. The Oilers are slow, disinterested, do a poor job in NZ, and are horrible at covering trailers or passing lanes.

Every goal you could chose to look at Talbot, or the team missing assignments. Often times multiple assignments in a row. On 3 of the Wings goals Talbot had just made a stop or deterred a scoring chance. But the Wings just kept coming.

The goal against Klef and Russell being beyond the pale. As in how many scoring chances can they give up in 6 secs. It was like neither was even on the ice.

Put Lucic back on McDavid's line.
    That way the Oilers will remember how hard they have to work to find success.

Pretty concerning when your 4th line is your best line. McDavid had a brutal game, and only saw 15 minutes of ice time.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Look at the team defending in front of him. The Oilers are slow, disinterested, do a poor job in NZ, and are horrible at covering trailers or passing lanes.

Every goal you could chose to look at Talbot, or the team missing assignments. Often times multiple assignments in a row. On 3 of the Wings goals Talbot had just made a stop or deterred a scoring chance. But the Wings just kept coming.

The goal against Klef and Russell being beyond the pale. As in how many scoring chances can they give up in 6 secs. It was like neither was even on the ice.
    Which goal was that? I missed the last two while I was at the liquor store

On the second goal both Draisaitl and McDavid were both cheating BADLY on offence, blowing the zone, well prior to the team regaining possession, and Maroon was off his man.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    It's a combination of things. They've really missed Sekera, last season's Talbot hasn't really shown up yet, their special teams are non-existent, and the physical play has largely been absent.
    You can't hit what you can't catch.

How many open nets has this team missed? It must be some kind of record, but I doubt anyone keeps those stats.

I know McDavid line was stinking it up out there tonight, but mostly stapling their butts to the bench in the 3rd sends a message - the wrong message, that being, we give up.

Kassian needs to score. Does a lot of things right, gets to the net, battles for the puck, and then lays an egg with half a net to shoot at.

C2E SME

I'm guessing that Yamamoto will be sent back to junior.

So what do people think of the rumor doing the rounds that Draisaitl was punched out by Nurse? Fake news? Or problems in the dressing room?

C2E SME

So what do people think of the rumor doing the rounds that Draisaitl was punched out by Nurse? Fake news? Or problems in the dressing room?
    The first one was that he got punched at a bar. When that one fizzled after Gregor pointed out that every bar in the city has a hundred cameras in it and the footage would have likely leaked, it morphed in to Draisatl getting punched because he messed around with Nurse's girl or something. Over in reality, it was blatantly obvious that Drai's left eye socket hit Blake Wheeler's shoulder pad cap when he got hit.

Oilers playoff chances are pretty much done. 5% chance or something like that based on today.

Chia should be fired for what the Oilers bottomsix and bottom pairings look like at this point but he won't be.

Theres 5 forwards on this whole club worth having. After that the dropoff is extreme.

A great goalie

that's it

And one of them just got sent back to junior.

The question is - are the players playing poorly, or are they playing ok and losing because they aren't very good?

The first is on the Coach, and the players themselves. The second is on the GM.

It's always interesting when the same people who go on for a year about how terrible a player is (Eberle) complain when the Oilers couldn't get much for him in a trade. The Oilers got rid of a "problem" player performing under his potential when the situation got untenable, and the Islanders got rid of one of their problem players who never got it done. It really is the best they could get out of any team after the super smear job on Eberle.

I can't dump on Strome. He's playing as well as should have been expected. Who really thought he'd replace all those goals at well under half Eberle's salary?

The Oilers keep doing it - seeing a player as great, and ignoring how he actually plays. See Griffin Reinhart. The Islanders run to the phone whenever they get a call from Edmonton.

They screwed up the Puljujarvi draft too. I was screaming for them to take Sergachev, but they can't help themselves. Imagine if this team had a likely strong #1 left D on the cusp of
    playing?

Now, the Oilers are faced with having to sign Nurse and Maroon, who are having relatively good seasons, and will command a huge raise. Of course the McDavid contract kicks in. A lot of people are seeing it as a choice between losing either RNH or Maroon. If they want to keep them both the Oilers are going to have a bunch of budget players to blame.

The next few games are the equivalent of playoff games for this team. It looks dark, but really a small streak would move this team right into contention.

C2E SME

Yeah, I'm quite concerned about the Nurse signing, especially in light of what they have to Russell. Not directly comparable in terms of their free agency status, but it's going to be tough to lock him up at a similar value to Larsson/Klefbom when they just gave a third pair stay at home, non-puck moving D nearly as much. The more I think about that contract, the worse it gets.

A great goalie

that's it
    Just a slight exaggeration. This club was good enough last year, with basically the same players, to make it to round 2 and get 103 points in the regular season. Is the team playing well enough, obviously not, but to make these types of sweeping statements is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Yeah, I'm quite concerned about the Nurse signing, especially in light of what they have to Russell. Not directly comparable in terms of their free agency status, but it's going to be tough to lock him up at a similar value to Larsson/Klefbom when they just gave a third pair stay at home, non-puck moving D nearly as much. The more I think about that contract, the worse it gets.
    You get to feeling so conflicted.

On the one hand - you want him to have a great year and reach that #1 status we've been waiting for. On the other hand - it means you have to pay beaucoup bucks, and the Oilers don't have a lot of room next season.

I think the Oilers might have to dump RNH salary for very little return, because they can't take much back. I still think he's a very good player. I was wondering if they'd have to move him at trade deadline for a rental, but that was when I was sure the Oilers would be right in the hunt.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post

A great goalie

that's it
    Just a slight exaggeration. This club was good enough last year, with basically the same players, to make it to round 2 and get 103 points in the regular season. Is the team playing well enough, obviously not, but to make these types of sweeping statements is ridiculous.
    This team has McD, Drai, Maroon, Nuge, Lucic, as good forwards. That's it.

next its the passable ones like Letestu, and I can't even include Old Jokinen I that.

here are the fill forwards on an NHL club:

Slepyshev, Caggiulia, Strome, Pakarinen, Khaira, Malone, old Jokinen, Kassian, Yamamoto (good, but clearly not close to being ready)

Conversely the team now no longer has Eberle, Hendricks, Pouliot, Pitlick, all better forwards than the fill players listed above. Now none of these are what I consider great players but they are better, and we miss some of contributions. Cumulatively we can't be giving away that much NHL experience in our forward group each year and expect to get by. In any given year you can carry about 3-4 prospect or depth type forwards. Not 8 of them.

On D Larsson and Nurse. I don't have a lot of confidence in the rest of them. Sekera will be back. I don't know Klef will return to form. Benning and Gryba don't even belong in the league.

if you haven't noted how incapable that collection of players is you haven't been paying attention. You'll get about one goal a month out of each of that lot.

If the Oilers are around this position in the standings in January, there goes the season.
    You can't suck this bad and come back. Even if they get a hot streak, it'll just be a fresh skidmark in the soiled diaper we call a team right now.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

You can't suck this bad and come back. Even if they get a hot streak, it'll just be a fresh skidmark in the soiled diaper we call a team right now.
    I guess you weren't around in 2006. The Oilers were virtually out, but managed to somehow sneak into playoffs. November is make or break because the team plays so many matches. Win the next two or three games, and all of a sudden it becomes make. I don't think that far away - the NJ game played really well. Just need to find that some more, and go about 70% for the rest of the month.

I was around in '06. Went to game 6 of the final too. Neither Edmonton nor Carolina deserved to be in that playoffs. That wasn't skill, that was fluke. Dumb luck. Last year was skill, and its painful to see that it apparently only lasted a year.

I think the Oilers might have to dump RNH salary for very little return, because they can't take much back. I still think he's a very good player. I was wondering if they'd have to move him at trade deadline for a rental, but that was when I was sure the Oilers would be right in the hunt.
    I think if Nuge continues to keep scoring goals / points the way he is at the moment, the return might be very good. Of course, does it really help the team then to trade someone scoring goals / points? Only if Draisaitil can step into that second line role. Its possible, maybe some sort of trade of Nuge for a scoring winger who might have better chemistry with CMD than Eberle did. I'd like to see Nuge get a chance on CMD's wing, before that happened.
    Last edited by moahunter; 07-11-2017 at 11:13 AM.

I think if Nuge continues to keep scoring goals / points the way he is at the moment, the return might be very good. Of course, does it really help the team then to trade someone scoring goals / points? Only if Draisaitil can step into that second line role. Its possible, maybe some sort of trade of Nuge for a scoring winger who might have better chemistry with CMD than Eberle did. I'd like to see Nuge get a chance on CMD's wing, before that happened.
    The reason I'm suggesting the return won't be good has nothing to do with RNH's play or ability, and everything to do with the salary cap. They have to dump salary. I don't see getting back a great player on a cheap contract.

Maybe a good return involving picks and/or prospects though.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I guess you weren't around in 2006. The Oilers were virtually out, but managed to somehow sneak into playoffs. November is make or break because the team plays so many matches. Win the next two or three games, and all of a sudden it becomes make. I don't think that far away - the NJ game played really well. Just need to find that some more, and go about 70% for the rest of the month.
    I was here 2 months after Gretzky did the presser in the Chateau Louis.

At the moment we're in coming off a nice home stand.

The 2015 Oilers are back.

I hope the team can mount a few November winning streaks but I'm not going to hold my breath it'll happen.
    Last edited by envaneo; 07-11-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Say they go 8-2-2 in November. A good streak, but not unheard of.
    They'd be above 500 and in the mix.
    If they only play 500 hockey in Nov, then that's pretty much it for the season.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Winning streaks like that from my observations happen with teams that have already had one or 2 winning streaks previously under their belt. Having a winning streak like that after playing so bad?
    Plus there's 13 games left this month and most are on the road. Chances of the Oilers even playing 500 hockey are slim to none.

Say they go 8-2-2 in November. A good streak, but not unheard of.
    They'd be above 500 and in the mix.
    If they only play 500 hockey in Nov, then that's pretty much it for the season.
    Let's also remember that at this time last year everyone thought the godless Flames were down and out but they came roaring back.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Boy what a fast game! Barely over 2.5 hours, including OT. Lots of time to fill with jawing after.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Winning streaks like that from my observations happen with teams that have already had one or 2 winning streaks previously under their belt. Having a winning streak like that after playing so bad?
    It's not really much a streak needed. Win 3 game, lose 1, win 1, lose in OT, win 2, lose 1, lose in OT, win 2. Not earth shattering.

Anyways. 2 pts down out of a needed 18 or 19 for the month.

A great goalie

that's it

next its the passable ones like Letestu, and I can't even include Old Jokinen I that.

Slepyshev, Caggiulia, Strome, Pakarinen, Khaira, Malone, old Jokinen, Kassian, Yamamoto (good, but clearly not close to being ready)

Conversely the team now no longer has Eberle, Hendricks, Pouliot, Pitlick, all better forwards than the fill players listed above. Now none of these are what I consider great players but they are better, and we miss some of contributions. Cumulatively we can't be giving away that much NHL experience in our forward group each year and expect to get by. In any given year you can carry about 3-4 prospect or depth type forwards. Not 8 of them.

On D Larsson and Nurse. I don't have a lot of confidence in the rest of them. Sekera will be back. I don't know Klef will return to form. Benning and Gryba don't even belong in the league.

if you haven't noted how incapable that collection of players is you haven't been paying attention. You'll get about one goal a month out of each of that lot.
    Kassain, Slepyshev, Caggulia and Letestu were all very effective players last year and in the playoffs. Have they had a good start to the season, no. Pilick was hurt most of last year, Pouliot was terrible all year and Eberle was terrible in the playoffs. Hendricks was so slow he could not play in the playoffs (i loved him as an Oiler)

Nurse and Larson are good defencemen this year, but what did you think of Nurse last year? My guess is your opinion was somewhat different. Klefbom and Benning were very good last year buthave had their issues this year however they will get better. Gryba has been as advertised.

PC does need to do something to strengthen the team and the best way is to start getting value for the players we are trading.

A great goalie

that's it

Kassain, Slepyshev, Caggulia and Letestu were all very effective players last year and in the playoffs. Have they had a good start to the season, no. Pilick was hurt most of last year, Pouliot was terrible all year and Eberle was terrible in the playoffs. Hendricks was so slow he could not play in the playoffs (i loved him as an Oiler)

Nurse and Larson are good defencemen this year, but what did you think of Nurse last year? My guess is your opinion was somewhat different. Klefbom and Benning were very good last year buthave had their issues this year however they will get better. Gryba has been as advertised.

PC does need to do something to strengthen the team and the best way is to start getting value for the players we are trading.
    My main concern with the forwards listed is they simply don't produce. Its really crazy we don't have wingers on the club that can potentially produce. it was all we were drafting for awhile. To wit Hall has 18pts, Eberle around 14, Even Yak has 9 pts as does the cheap pick up Center we had last year, Desharnais. As far as Letestu he is a good special teams player, I give him that. He is not what I consider a good EV player or certainly not one that produces EV.

Basically if our topfive don't fill the net we don't score. Theres hardly any goals in the lineup after that and the Oilers don't score many from the point either. Last night the team gets another one cylinder win on the basis of Drai, and McD in OT potting goals and Talbot playing miraculous. Its not a good recipe.

Nurse is making a nice transition but wow, look at the Islander D last night. Now that's a solid deep D. Even with Sekera back we have two pairings that can play. I'm no Klefbom fan tbh.

It's not really much a streak needed. Win 3 game, lose 1, win 1, lose in OT, win 2, lose 1, lose in OT, win 2. Not earth shattering.

Bingo - I'm always amazed how after a win, there is little discussion (we expect our team to win), but after a loss, the wheels are falling off. Its been a bad start, but for the number of games played compared to the entire year, its not indicative. There are some real positive emerging this year, especially Nuge, and Nurse. I think it will come together fine, this is the perfect month to build momentum and get back into the race. If we enter December and that hasn't happened, yes, its time to panic, but that's not the case now. I think if we are back at 50% or close to that at the end of November, the team is fine. Hopefully Sekera will be back at some point, and Talbot will figure out his early wobbles.

As much as Nurse has improved this year, Klefbom has digressed.

Also, missing Sekera right now

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post

Really missing Sekera. He can play nearly half a game. And Nurse has been a beast. Looking like a Hedman out there, offensively.

Don't know what's going on with Klefbom defensively. Giving up too much gap. Too much "Schultzing" - waving his stick out in front of himself while backing away.

Was watching another game last night, and missed the third period. Sounds like Talbot kept them in it.

Hope Cagguila isn't hurt too bad. I know some are dumping on him this season, but he's one of the few lower tier players who can really skate.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 08-11-2017 at 04:09 PM.

^I wonder if Klefbom is carrying an injury. Alternatively, it might just be normal development learning, they say most players don't go in a straight line, especially young D, its full of ups and downs until they gain more experience.

C2E SME

The problems in Klefbom's game are more on the decision making side. He's back to being really tentative and making poor decisions. I doubt it's related to an injury, although there was mention a couple weeks ago that he might have some bumps and bruises that are making him take a bit off his shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post

Really missing Sekera. He can play nearly half a game. And Nurse has been a beast. Looking like a Hedman out there, offensively.

Don't know what's going on with Klefbom defensively. Giving up too much gap. Too much "Schultzing" - waving his stick out in front of himself while backing away.

Was watching another game last night, and missed the third period. Sounds like Talbot kept them in it.

Hope Cagguila isn't hurt too bad. I know some are dumping on him this season, but he's one of the few lower tier players who can really skate.
    Klefbom had enough jam to follow Larsson for one season but that's a lot of work, a lot of physical effort, keeping crease clear, anticipating outlet passes, absorbing punishment. Being that he's Oiler grown, reversion was going to occur.

As an org, and this is insidious in this org now, is we don't raise our players to work hard consistently. They can do it for a little while but do not consider it an ongoing condition of employment. Thus the correlation can be drawn between the players that do well here and their self drive. Its near linear. You could go through the whole list of players and see how the theory works. The entitled country club is of course modeled and evoked by the constant line of hangers on here that always have a job in management or in charge of paper clips.

Conversely, historically the hardest working players that we have are usually externally obtained. The list of Hendricks, Maroon, Kassian, Letestu, etc. Had those been oiler bred I wonder what their work ethic would look like.
    Last edited by Replacement; 08-11-2017 at 05:15 PM.

C2E SME

Draisaitl overtime winner!

4 pts down. 6-2-2 for the rest of the month is good, but not crazy. win 2 out of the next 3 and that's well within reach.

^It was a good win, lots of positives:

•Milan Lucic got his third goal of the year after making the smart play on a 2-on-1 and shooting the puck. The big fella ripped the puck through Schneider’s five-hole to tie the game up after the Devils reclaimed their lead late in the second period.
    •Connor and Leon are like magic on ice when it comes to the 3-on-3 overtimes. The pair closed things out against the Islanders on Tuesday night, and they came back for an encore tonight against the Devils as Draisaitl ended an intense overtime period.
    •Nuge was really good again tonight. He was all over the puck, made some really nice reads defensively, and walked away with two assists on the board for his efforts. The Year of Nuge continues.
    •Matt Benning and Oscar Klefbom had a better night tonight and looked much more composed than they have been. Each guy played more than 20 minutes (Klefbom over 25 mins) and did a nice job weathering the barrages they faced.
    https://oilersnation.com/2017/11/09/...jersey-devils/

A couple more wins, and all of the negative nellies who post on here about how insidious, and hopeless, and terribly managed, and similar, the team is, are going to look stupid again. All teams go through winning streaks and slumps. The slumps look a bit worse when they happen at the start of the year, but as long as the team stays positive and keeps working at it, it typically reverts back to the mean. Oilers have had some changes without Sekera, no Eberle, Talbot starting a bit shakey, Klefbom dealing with some growing pains, but they seem to be working through that, and have found some new strengths in Nuge and Nurse. I think the teams that coast / don't face adversity throughout the year, tend to struggle more in the playoffs when the chips are down, we might look back and realize this little bad patch was actually a good thing to ground the players, gel the team, and figure out a few issues.

But of course, we lose next game, and all the haters will be back hating...
    Last edited by moahunter; 10-11-2017 at 08:29 AM.

^It was a good win, lots of positives:

•Milan Lucic got his third goal of the year after making the smart play on a 2-on-1 and shooting the puck. The big fella ripped the puck through Schneider’s five-hole to tie the game up after the Devils reclaimed their lead late in the second period.
    •Connor and Leon are like magic on ice when it comes to the 3-on-3 overtimes. The pair closed things out against the Islanders on Tuesday night, and they came back for an encore tonight against the Devils as Draisaitl ended an intense overtime period.
    •Nuge was really good again tonight. He was all over the puck, made some really nice reads defensively, and walked away with two assists on the board for his efforts. The Year of Nuge continues.
    •Matt Benning and Oscar Klefbom had a better night tonight and looked much more composed than they have been. Each guy played more than 20 minutes (Klefbom over 25 mins) and did a nice job weathering the barrages they faced.
    https://oilersnation.com/2017/11/09/...jersey-devils/

A couple more wins, and all of the negative nellies who post on here about how insidious, and hopeless, and terribly managed, and similar, the team is, are going to look stupid again. All teams go through winning streaks and slumps. The slumps look a bit worse when they happen at the start of the year, but as long as the team stays positive and keeps working at it, it typically reverts back to the mean. Oilers have had some changes without Sekera, no Eberle, Talbot starting a bit shakey, Klefbom dealing with some growing pains, but they seem to be working through that, and have found some new strengths in Nuge and Nurse. I think the teams that coast / don't face adversity throughout the year, tend to struggle more in the playoffs when the chips are down, we might look back and realize this little bad patch was actually a good thing to ground the players, gel the team, and figure out a few issues.

But of course, we lose next game, and all the haters will be back hating...
    Glad we are getting closer to the pack, really I am, but winning 3 on 3 OT's is not really a formula for sustained success. The club has afairc 3 regulation time Wins in 15 games. They haven't won a game by more than one goal since the season opener.

I get that Drai and McD are basically a cheat win code in OT but this doesn't solve 60minutes or our scoring difficulty in regulation time.

Its interesting as well that Chia is on this roadtrip so early in the season. This wasn't to scout players it was to make the ones in the org accountable. This is watched water boiling but its interesting the team needs this much incentive to play the game. Chiahawk sitting in the stands taking notes and numbers. Essentially because he's worried.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm looking forward to the Vegas/Oilers game on Tuesday.

They haven't won a game by more than one goal since the season opener.
    Edmonton (6) over New Jersey (3), a week ago (Nov 3).

Now, I completely agree that the team has some major problems to overcome. Thankfully the OT games won have been outside of our division.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Glad we are getting closer to the pack, really I am, but winning 3 on 3 OT's is not really a formula for sustained success. The club has afairc 3 regulation time Wins in 15 games. They haven't won a game by more than one goal since the season opener.
    You seemed more worried last year when the Oilers racked up a lot of points in the standings on an early season win streak. In fact you never stopped talking about how much of a problem that was. And then you also never said anything positive about them in the playoffs until the Oilers were up 2-0 in their second-round series against Anaheim.

In other words, I think your analysis is a sign the Oilers are turning a corner after a terrible October start.

An afternoon game... never a good sign for the Oilers. I'd be interested in seeing stats on the percentage of afternoon games the Oilers have actually won, because in my mind it's really, really low.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E SME

They are 10-20-? roughly since 2009, according to SN.

Puljujarvi scores, tied after 1 period. A good omen.
    I was surprised he was called up since he wasn't exactly getting the AHL on fire.

Really surprised how much Klefbom is struggling in his own end right now, especially how good he and Larsson were last year. Hope he can bounce back soon, he is one of my favorites on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    You seemed more worried last year when the Oilers racked up a lot of points in the standings on an early season win streak. In fact you never stopped talking about how much of a problem that was. And then you also never said anything positive about them in the playoffs until the Oilers were up 2-0 in their second-round series against Anaheim.

In other words, I think your analysis is a sign the Oilers are turning a corner after a terrible October start.
    Strange out of the blue post. The Oilers for a significant portion of last season were coasting along on the 7-1 start. Not until Feb/march did they start putting up serious pts in the standings but that somewhat too due to how many clubs in the league last season were just stuck in the sand. This season is much different in the NHL and only one sadsack club in the whole WC.

"Never said nothing positive" jebus I'm the biggest Talbot, Drai, Maroon fan around these parts. Of course I LOVE McD as well but everybody does. I've always been positive about players who's play warrants it. Right now Nuge, Lucic also gaining my praise as they are playing better, generally, this season. Lucic still needing to work on aspects of his game.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast