Thread: Edmonton Oilers 2017-18 Season

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Heads are going to roll
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    I really am lost for words.
    There's a first time for everything
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    I gave up when it was 4-0 Blues.
    I gave up last week if not before that. All the signs were there that this Oilers lineup wouldn't hunt. There is a deplorable lack of depth in this lineup at every position except Center.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I really am lost for words.
    Small benefits, and unforeseen value..

"if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E SME

I think Brossoit should start more games. Talbot has had a lot of work over the past year.

Also, perhaps Malone should be rotated into the lineup for a few games.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    I gave up when it was 4-0 Blues.
    I gave up last week if not before that. All the signs were there that this Oilers lineup wouldn't hunt. There is a deplorable lack of depth in this lineup at every position except Center.
    Colour commentating in the game said something about a Oilers new player? Cant recall the name now.

Is goaltender Tyler Bunz still available? lol

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I think Brossoit should start more games. Talbot has had a lot of work over the past year.

Also, perhaps Malone should be rotated into the lineup for a few games.
    Talbot needs to see less action but Brossoit isn't the guy either. Chia has been here 3 seasons and hasn't found an even passable backup. This not meant to knock Brossoit just that he's simply the guy on the shelf. The guy available, don't even need to pick up the phone. Look as well at Auvitu and Gryba signings. Auvitu was headed back to Europe. Was a non factor last season and failing to make an impression in NHL. He was imminently available to any team. Pretty much waiver wire material. Then Gryba. Team didn't even intend to sign him but eventually do so because he shows up to camp. Team quickly figures they don't have any other 6,7 capable so why not Gryba. These are simply convenience additions. Its fill.

Next the team trades Eberle for pack of socks Ryan Strome. Enough said.

Then pick up the phone and dial up Jokinen, 35 yrs old with a bad knee and come on down because it doesn't take much in offseason to please Oilers fans.

This and highballing McD and Drai contracts was Chia's work offseason. This is it.

no issue with the Drai and McDavid contracts. We currently have the third lowest payroll in the league, yet we got rid of Eberle Poliout and Pitlick.

Quote Originally Posted by trick91 View Post
    no issue with the Drai and McDavid contracts. We currently have the third lowest payroll in the league, yet we got rid of Eberle Poliout and Pitlick.
    I don't have particular issue with the contracts, its what I expected. But its not value either. The Oilers could have proactively gone after a Draisaitl contract a year previously. They decided not to and pay handsomely for that stupid decision. Drai post 15-16 season probably comes in at 6.5-7M. But after the season and playoffs he had that position appreciated greatly. Also that the team junked Hall and others and desperately needed Draisaitl in the fold. I mean they had to have him. They had to do it any cost. The optics of not doing it or McD contracts would be just sell the team.

Its a bit Macchiavellian but the team HAD to sign Draisaitl imo before trading Hall. The nature of what was lost from the team in that deal, and how much more Drai and McD would have to carry the offense was plain as day to anybody, including Agents and players.
    Last edited by Replacement; 22-11-2017 at 08:41 AM.

C2E Long Term Contributor

The low payroll will go up next year once McD's contract kicks in.
    Eberle had to go due to that pending cap space crunch. Overall his performance did not live up to his $6M contract, his disappearance during the playoffs sealed his fate.
    Pouliot was about as useful as a second arsehole.
    Pitlick spent more time in IR than on the ice.

The media keep harping on about the poor play of Klefbom and Talbot plus McD's defensive lapses. But there's something else going on with this team.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Posting Power

Sure liked Pitlic...not sure why we dumped him. Pouliot was more worhtless than a bag of pucks...Eb's - tit for tat. Strome is sort of on par

Tuned in for a minute between watching paint dry ..... 5-1 at that point.

Seriously, I've pretty much tuned out. Why should I care when they obviously don't?

But, be interested to know what players are using that fave phrase of Oilers past, "for whatever reason ....."
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Eberle had to go due to that pending cap space crunch. Overall his performance did not live up to his $6M contract, his disappearance during the playoffs sealed his fate.

The media keep harping on about the poor play of Klefbom and Talbot plus McD's defensive lapses. But there's something else going on with this team.
    yes it will go up, but why not go all in this year and trade Eberle in the offseason instead? we have no cap issues at all this year. yes he sucked in the playoffs, but its not easy to replace 20 goals and 50+ points from him. pouliout and pitlick were good bottom 6 players.

Watching the Oilers in Detroit it's interesting that the new almost 900 million dollar Little Caesars Arena is half empty.

C2E SME

McClellan must have kicked the Oilers in the butt after last night's game. Oilers are leading 5-2 in the middle of the third.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Watching the Oilers in Detroit it's interesting that the new almost 900 million dollar Little Caesars Arena is half empty.
    It could be the Thanksgiving weekend, but I find the empty seats a bit disappointing, especially when Detroit is one of the most avid hockey markets.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Most likely its their Thanksgiving weekend. I liked the kid behind the glass getting a puck from Strome. Nice gesture.

Next up Buffalo black Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    It could be the Thanksgiving weekend, but I find the empty seats a bit disappointing, especially when Detroit is one of the most avid hockey markets.
    Afaik the new arena is in the DT Detroit area. Kind of a reworked little pocket of Arena mania. What people in Detroit would be accustomed to, or completely comfortable with going anywhere near DT Detroit? Next, being a new arena who can afford the ticket prices? Around 76buck USD STARTING. Going up to 300. Who spends that? Not everyplace has a bunch of people like in Edmonton that figure they are rich.
    Last edited by Replacement; 22-11-2017 at 09:01 PM.

Watched that Leafs game after. The rink in Florida was half empty too.

I think they really needed this damn win, I'll see if it did any good on Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    I think they really needed this damn win, I'll see if it did any good on Friday!
    Good to get the W. Detroit cooked a Turkey for their home fans in this one which was drastically different performance than they brought to Rogers Place. I sensed the Oilers would win last night. They will W in Buffalo, Probably go to OT in Boston. But I don't think their problems will be over. The Oilers play is of course very inconsistent with this lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Put Lucic back on McDavid's line.
    That way the Oilers will remember how hard they have to work to find success.
    I should be the assistant coach.

Kidding aside, when I posted that over two weeks ago I noticed Lucic is skating faster than last season.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

It's nice to see that RNH is essentially on pace for a 30 goal season and a career year. Assuming he doesn't get hurt. Again.
    That would be pretty good value for 6Mil. Finally.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    It's nice to see that RNH is essentially on pace for a 30 goal season and a career year. Assuming he doesn't get hurt. Again.
    That would be pretty good value for 6Mil. Finally.
    Yup. At which point Chiarelli will trade him straight up for Ryan Murray, most likely.

Watched that Leafs game.....
    Why? Did you suffer severe head trauma? lol. Did your eyes burn or blister? Wait, you lost a bet didn't you?
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

It was actually a good game.

Exciting overtime and shootout.

Mighty Leafs salvaged a loser point.

Not bad for a road game.

Ya it was exciting hockey really. The leafs have some mighty good young players.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

May as well pick a back up team, since our boys are floundering.

Since I'm from Vancouver, lets go Canucks.

It would be nice to see the cup in Canadian cities

Barring a miraculous run, our season is done. They would need to win 2 out of every 3 games from here on in to scrape in to the playoffs.

^I said November was make or break, and it looks like it’s break.

Some of PCs decisions in the offseason look very poor now, especially:

- overpaying draisaitl (he has disappointed since being overpaid and isn’t driving his own line)
    - not bringing in another quality D
    - overpaying Russell
    - not finding a RW
    - trading away Eberle

It’s easy to say with hindsite now though, aside from Sekera, the team isn’t that different from last year.

He has some interesting trade chips in Draisaitl and Nuge. I think one of those two needs to go for a top quality scoring D. No rush though, he has a whole season and offseason ahead to time a trade

TM might be the fall guy.
    Last edited by moahunter; 24-11-2017 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

yes it will go up, but why not go all in this year and trade Eberle in the offseason instead? we have no cap issues at all this year. yes he sucked in the playoffs, but its not easy to replace 20 goals and 50+ points from him. pouliout and pitlick were good bottom 6 players.
    Good question, especially in hindsight.

Sometimes this team just dumps guys. Eberle was under-performing at $6M. But ditto Strome at his cap hit. The Oilers gave up something they desperately need - goals, in almost every trade. It's more than a trend.

Pouliot and Potluck were decent bottom 6 players. Schultz is a decent defenceman in the right situation. Hall is a core asset, but we needed a good defenceman on a value contract. Yakupov may have been a bust, but he had something to him. He could shoot.

It's too early to say how Puljujarvi is going to work out, but I was screaming at the TV for them to take Sergachev. Everything they could use in a defenceman. And the Habs got Drouin for him, so imagine Drouin instead of RNH? Or both? But they seem to rank players according to the consensus, which may have nothing to do with what you need.

It seems the Oilers often sell low, and buy high.

Replacement's right - the Oilers had to sign Draisaitl and McDavid after last season and the playoffs. And Draisaitl's agent knew it. He got a big contract for a long time.

I suspect the general plan was to be in a good position at the trade deadline, and have lots of money to pick up a couple really good rentals that wanted a good shot at the Cup. This was the year - before McDavid's contract kicks in.

I know, I know, ..., you all dump on me every time I bring up the guy, but I wonder if Chara might be available for cheap next year. If you don't think he's still good, you haven't watched him. Not what he was, but smart, strong, still plays a lot of minutes. He didn't get any smaller. Still a force, and his shot is still as good.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Good to get the W. Detroit cooked a Turkey for their home fans in this one which was drastically different performance than they brought to Rogers Place. I sensed the Oilers would win last night. They will W in Buffalo, Probably go to OT in Boston. But I don't think their problems will be over. The Oilers play is of course very inconsistent with this lineup.
    So much for the win in Buffalo. Everybody wrote off Buffalo because they've lost 7 games in a row and are in 2nd last.

Like you, me, and almost everyone, the team looked at it like it was a lock or something. Buffalo have some good players. The knock on Lehner isn't that he's lousy, it's that he's wildly inconsistent. Eichel really is that good (super strong on his skates), and I'm sure he played with a chip on his shoulder against McDavid.

I barely watched. My roommate kept calling out the score. I found better things to do.

I'm like Ian - lost for words, when it comes to figuring out what's going on. If it was one thing, it would be simpler, but it's something different every time, including the flu hitting the team hard.

They better get better soon, or there's a lot of teams to pass, and not much time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    So much for the win in Buffalo. Everybody wrote off Buffalo because they've lost 7 games in a row and are in 2nd last.

Like you, me, and almost everyone, the team looked at it like it was a lock or something. Buffalo have some good players. The knock on Lehner isn't that he's lousy, it's that he's wildly inconsistent. Eichel really is that good (super strong on his skates), and I'm sure he played with a chip on his shoulder against McDavid.

I barely watched. My roommate kept calling out the score. I found better things to do.

I'm like Ian - lost for words, when it comes to figuring out what's going on. If it was one thing, it would be simpler, but it's something different every time, including the flu hitting the team hard.

They better get better soon, or there's a lot of teams to pass, and not much time to do it.
    Losing to Buffalo, back in the ditch again. A striking thing is how quickly the Oilers abandoned the general gameplan that earned them success in Detroit. The interesting thing is that the Oilers play sucked so much in this game they basically willed Buffalo into the game. Buffalo, a club that figured they couldn't beat anybody at the half way mark started figuring this game was theirs and took it over. The Oilers play instilled the Sabres with confidence. No easy task...

Oh that was painful viewing. Glad I had it on PVR and only took an hour to watch..

looks like a major illness happening in our lockeroom. Klefbom and Talbot were out yesterday. McDavid has lost 5-10lbs over the past week. Coach even looks horrible. Not an excuse still, some other players have to step up.

^Aren't players required to get a yearly flu shot as a condition of their employment? Never ceases to amaze me how often NHL hockey players get laid low by the flu year after year.

I have yet to hear of any new flu strains out there that are not dealt with by this winter's vaccine: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season...-2017-2018.htm

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    ^Aren't players required to get a yearly flu shot as a condition of their employment? Never ceases to amaze me how often NHL hockey players get laid low by the flu year after year.

I have yet to hear of any new flu strains out there that are not dealt with by this winter's vaccine: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season...-2017-2018.htm
    Hockey is so old school still. Sometimes share water bottles, spit all over the bench, handle their mouth guards continuously like nervous little beavers gnawing on wood. blow noses all over the place. The average hockey bench and dressing room is a breeding ground of bacteria. Add smelly lockers and hockey bags that never get cleaned (for the average player) and its a perfect storm environment for bacteria. Klefbom for instance had some severe infection in his leg for almost a year. Got really serious. I wonder how much of the epidemics on teams are due to as you say not properly getting flu shots (sometimes in bad flu years teams will organize early immunizations for the whole club) and just poor hygiene habits in general.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm glad I didn't watch the game. I think we're going to win in Boston tomorrow.

Another coach imo will only be a band aid solution. At the end of the day this season is on the players.

I wonder if McD is feeling any better, that flu must be a wretched kind, it's gone through this team, and MCD lost weight..

Hockey is so old school still. Sometimes share water bottles, spit all over the bench, handle their mouth guards continuously like nervous little beavers gnawing on wood. blow noses all over the place. The average hockey bench and dressing room is a breeding ground of bacteria. Add smelly lockers and hockey bags that never get cleaned (for the average player) and its a perfect storm environment for bacteria. Klefbom for instance had some severe infection in his leg for almost a year. Got really serious. I wonder how much of the epidemics on teams are due to as you say not properly getting flu shots (sometimes in bad flu years teams will organize early immunizations for the whole club) and just poor hygiene habits in general.
    All of that, and planes. How often have we heard people getting so sick, after one plane trip, let alone several..

Or cruiseships.

I think sometimes I avoid that type of travel. Airports give me enough to avoid in the first place. Non stop aggravation delays, sitting on tarmac hours, etc. Never fails for me. Anytime I fly somewhere for RR I'm frazzled by time the plane gets airborne. Making the whole activity seem ironic. I need more vacay after flying anywhere. Explain that to the boss

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Maybe with the flu is kind of like living in a Bearcage...

"You can keep your Brussels and Amsterdam
    Give me back my summer in Dresden, Man"

^ Lost on most of you but I couldn't resist.

Keep on smokin evo. July 1 it will be legal. lol

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Hey 'bones, I don't do drugs. Its ok if your into that sort of thing

Me either, just joking around

All of that, and planes. How often have we heard people getting so sick, after one plane trip, let alone several..
    The flu shot isn't 100% effective, and it only works on the most dangerous strain.

Hockey players play a lot of games. Their bodies get worn down, and sometimes their defence mechanisms get weakened.

As Replacement noted there is lots of contact, and conditions could be more sanitary.

I've often wondered why coaches allow players in the dressing room when they're sick. It happens all the time.

I think we're going to win in Boston tomorrow.
    Considering it's an afternoon game, and the team hasn't been playing well, an Oilers win would be a miracle.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

As a longtime Oilers fan, since their inception, I am willing to cut the team some slack. I look at Connor McDavid and he looks ill. They are suffering. Call me a softy but I feel for them. Better times are ahead.

Yay Strome. Really becoming an Oiler.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    I think we're going to win in Boston tomorrow.
    Considering it's an afternoon game, and the team hasn't been playing well, an Oilers win would be a miracle.
    They do happen..

I honestly think its to the point where it really doesn't even matter. Oilers win in Boston is meaningless because they got put away by the Sabres, one of the worst clubs in the league. Win both of those games and its meaningful. **** the bed in one and it continues to be a story of win one, lose one in games that are winnable.

^its unlikely now, but not impossible - basically Oilers are about where the Flames were last year. Only two wins back from ducks (who knocked Oilers out last year in playoffs). Need some other teams to get sick

C2E SME

I don't know what to think. Win one, lose one. At this rate, the Oilers will have 78 points. But winning in Boston was quite impressive.

The Oilers win a lot in Boston and have beat Boston 4 games in a row. Its not really a hard opponent for the Oilers. The shame is in not being consistent enough to get a streak going as you state.

They won an AFTERNOON GAME... that is amazing!
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

It wasn’t really an afternoon game it started at 5:00 Boston time.

^I think technically, afternoon lasts until about 6pm, when Evening comes (with the sunset). But if not, they won an EARLY EVENING GAME... that is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^I think technically, afternoon lasts until about 6pm, when Evening comes (with the sunset). But if not, they won an EARLY EVENING GAME... that is amazing!
    Afternoon, is after noon, as the name implies, ya lazy sod.

5 in these parts is considered work closing time, or dinner time and evening. Maybe in Australier or some such outback 5pm is afternoon.

I'm here to help..

http://learnersdictionary.com/qa/par...te-morning-etc

Given that the game STARTED at 5:07 local time, of course it was evening.. The ENTIRE game took place in the evening.
    Last edited by Replacement; 27-11-2017 at 12:11 PM.

Alright, I was trying to give them credit for something... I guess they still suck at winning afternoon games (though, it was 3 here... which is the timezone they play most of their games in).

Must have been nighttime in Germany because Drai was tearing it up

Oilers beat AZ, by the skin of their teeth

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ AZ was the better team on the ice that's for sure.

Ryan Nugent Hopkins does it again.

C2E SME

At least the Oilers have been .500 for the month of November.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Alright, I was trying to give them credit for something... I guess they still suck at winning afternoon games (though, it was 3 here... which is the timezone they play most of their games in).
    I was just playing around with Moa on that one.

Anyway Oilers get the W tonight albeit ugly. They almost lost this one several times to the worst team in the league and playing at home. Yotes hit a crossbar and a goalpost in OT before the Oilers scored the winning goal. Yotes were also 5mins away from winning this in regulation.

So you take the two points and run. Man, the Oilers need these points. Least they got them tonight.

For some reason Phoenix plays amazingly well against Canadian teams.

C2E SME

Nice of the Oilers to show up in the 3rd period. They managed to win by playing only 20 minutes or so. I just don't get how they can yo-yo so much from one game to the next.

Arizona had recently beaten Kings and Leafs on road. Had won 3 straight on the road coming in. Not an easy cakewalk as some people are thinking

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Nice of the Oilers to show up in the 3rd period. They managed to win by playing only 20 minutes or so. I just don't get how they can yo-yo so much from one game to the next.
    Except that they missed about 3-4 opportunities in 1/2.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

A win, is a win, is a win..☺

C2E SME

Except that they missed about 3-4 opportunities in 1/2.
    So roughly the number of 10 bell chances Arizona had in the first five minutes?

For me when I see the Oilers having two D on a two on 1 Break (It was Benning and another D) during a 4 on 4 segment I'm wondering about the clubs attention to detail and focus. It didn't end up costing the Oilers, and the two D couldn't execute the breakout anyway but what are they BOTH doing pinching up on the same breakout..?

When I see stuff like that its evident the team isn't there yet despite the W.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

What everybody seems to be missing is the fact that Slepy is back and RNH is playing good. Slepy has been back for 2 games now and notice what a difference maker that's been.

Slep and RNH my 2 fav players

I'm predicting another Oilers win tomorrow.

If there is one good thing about this season, it is that the Oilers are far from alone. I think a lot of the historical stats about where you should be in the standings, aren't that relevant anymore, because the race has got a lot closer - we saw that last year with the Flames breaking the historical trend, and its not over yet for the Oil either. Only two wins from 5th place now (Canucks), two and a half wins behind fourth (Flames), only one win behind Anaheim who knocked us out. Have to string a winning streak together ASAP and before you know it, we might be a playoff team again.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Hmm....You know, we're just one win away from sharing 3rd in the West with Anaheim. When you put it like that Mo' I feel better about our chances, plus Slepy is back from injury. notice is 2/2 since his injury.

To anybody that might have missed it Connor had a classic story from the Roadtrip.

Its Boston, him and some buds that came to see the game go skating on the day off. Connor doesn't bring his NHL skates so like the others he's just doing a rental at the rink. The lady renting skates says to him, no, those are too small for you, try these, and hands Connor larger size than he uses. At no point does she realize he's Connor McDavid. McDavid saying he just went with it while the buds are laughing. Lady doesn't know whats up. Wonder if she watched Connor on the ice at all...

It doesn't seem unusual to me. This is the USA we are talking about. It's not like he's Lebron James or Tom Brady. (whom she may not know either) My wife doesn't even know who he is but she's from Vietnam. He could walk into her shop and get a pedicure and she wouldn't have any clue. If he said I'm Connor McDavid she'd say nothing except that will be $50 Meesta Conna. Lol
    Last edited by Drumbones; 29-11-2017 at 12:46 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Nailed it.

^ Hmm....You know, we're just one win away from sharing 3rd in the West with Anaheim. When you put it like that Mo' I feel better about our chances, plus Slepy is back from injury. notice is 2/2 since his injury.
    Are you looking at the standings upside down?

I know old habits die hard.

Anaheim has really struggled with significant injuries to key players. Missing Getzlaf, Kesler, and now Rakell - their first, second, and third line centres. Their top guy at C right now is Antoine Vermette (who got 2 tonight).

D-Men Cam Fowler, Sami Vatinen, and Hampus Lindholm, all top 4 D, have all missed significant stretches of time, as has goalie John Gibson.

So the top 3 centres, 3 of the top 4 D, and their #1 goalie, all missed significant numbers of games (Kesler and Getzlaf still out for awhile). Currently have 3 RW on injury list.

So, yeah, they kind of stink so far this year. With the win tonight vaulted ahead of Minny into 12th in the Western Conference.

4 points clear of the Oilers. I don't think of that as 2 wins away. They've played the same number of games.

So it's really 2 Oiler wins and 2 Anaheim losses - 4 games.
    Same with Vancouver - 4 games.
    Same with Colorado, but Avs have 2 games in hand.
    3 points back of Minny, but Minny has a game in hand.
    5 back of Flames, but Calgary has a game in hand.

That's a lot of teams that have to lose, and it still doesn't get them into a wild card spot. Dallas and Chicago are also 5 points up on the Oilers with a game in hand.

The Oilers are better than they've played, and I think they'll find their groove. They are close to a lot of teams. The problem is there are a lot of teams. Not only do the Oilers need to win, but those teams ALL need to lose, and when a lot of their games are against Division or Conference rivals, somebody's going to come out with 2 points, and some will probably get a loser point.

It's a long season, and a lot can change, but the Oilers need to go on a run now to make sure the math doesn't really work against them at crunch time.

Talbot out at least 2 weeks or even longer according to our coach. This could get ugly...

Talbot out at least 2 weeks or even longer according to our coach. This could get ugly...
    That's about 8 games. See how Broissoit does the first couple games. If it's a disaster, they'll probably have to trade for a second string goalie in the minors.
    Who knows, maybe LB steals a game or two and the oilers go on a 6-2 run.

Good ol' Bruins beat Tampa last night.

Tonight the Mighty Leafs will close to within a point.

Top_Dawg loves these swings through Alberta.

Always an easy four points.

To boot Thursay Night Footbal.

Skins and Cowboys.

Top_Dawg's head is gonna be on a swivel watching both games.

Cold beer will be goin' down good tonight !

Clear all appointments off the calendar for tomorrow.

And parlay this right into the weekend.

C2E Posting Power

"Our" coach? You're an Oiler? Which one?

C2E Posting Power

I'm guessing Dawg is from the Rock? Only Newfies outside of TO are Leafs fan. Meh...Normally I'd agree with you on the football .....but both teams are so lousy now....gonna be a snoozer.....

Really? Oh dear....

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Are you looking at the standings upside down?

I know old habits die hard.

Anaheim has really struggled with significant injuries to key players. Missing Getzlaf, Kesler, and now Rakell - their first, second, and third line centres. Their top guy at C right now is Antoine Vermette (who got 2 tonight).

D-Men Cam Fowler, Sami Vatinen, and Hampus Lindholm, all top 4 D, have all missed significant stretches of time, as has goalie John Gibson.

So the top 3 centres, 3 of the top 4 D, and their #1 goalie, all missed significant numbers of games (Kesler and Getzlaf still out for awhile). Currently have 3 RW on injury list.

So, yeah, they kind of stink so far this year. With the win tonight vaulted ahead of Minny into 12th in the Western Conference.

4 points clear of the Oilers. I don't think of that as 2 wins away. They've played the same number of games.

So it's really 2 Oiler wins and 2 Anaheim losses - 4 games.
    Same with Vancouver - 4 games.
    Same with Colorado, but Avs have 2 games in hand.
    3 points back of Minny, but Minny has a game in hand.
    5 back of Flames, but Calgary has a game in hand.

That's a lot of teams that have to lose, and it still doesn't get them into a wild card spot. Dallas and Chicago are also 5 points up on the Oilers with a game in hand.

The Oilers are better than they've played, and I think they'll find their groove. They are close to a lot of teams. The problem is there are a lot of teams. Not only do the Oilers need to win, but those teams ALL need to lose, and when a lot of their games are against Division or Conference rivals, somebody's going to come out with 2 points, and some will probably get a loser point.

It's a long season, and a lot can change, but the Oilers need to go on a run now to make sure the math doesn't really work against them at crunch time.
    I'm just going by the Oilers website the Conference standings. Now that Talbot out I don't like our chances.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    I'm guessing Dawg is from the Rock? Only Newfies outside of TO are Leafs fan. Meh...Normally I'd agree with you on the football .....but both teams are so lousy now....gonna be a snoozer.....
    What? Sounds like you have never seen a Oilers game when the Leafs (original six) are in town. With all the Leaf jerseys in the stands its like a Leaf Home game.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    That's about 8 games. See how Broissoit does the first couple games. If it's a disaster, they'll probably have to trade for a second string goalie in the minors.
    Who knows, maybe LB steals a game or two and the oilers go on a 6-2 run.
    A possible 12 points lost, uh-oh.

C2E Continued Contributor

Support the guy, Brossoit's been playing great in the games he's been in.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

C2E SME

He's played pretty well for the most part, but there's always been the one bad goal. Hopefully he can put a run together.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Support the guy, Brossoit's been playing great in the games he's been in.
    LB will be fine, I'm keeping the faith!

Time to start cheering the Oilers on to getting a high draft pick in July!
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

So they can train wreck that one too.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Maybe Oiler brass can lure Drew Doughty here, might be up for grabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

So they can train wreck that one too.
    Well they do have a lot of contemporary practice wasting talent.

Maybe Oiler brass can lure Drew Doughty here, might be up for grabs.
    Doughty wants to play on Cup-contender teams though...

C2E Posting Power

What? Sounds like you have never seen a Oilers game when the Leafs (original six) are in town. With all the Leaf jerseys in the stands its like a Leaf Home game.
    Original 6? You must be shitting me?! Yeah I have, that's my point....how many Newfies do you think live in this town? Let's go back a little....anyone EAST of Quebec is either a Habs or Leafs fan. Ergo, all those Habs and Leaf jerseys you see are worn by transplanted Albertans from the Maritmes.....clear?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Original 6? You must be shitting me?! Yeah I have, that's my point....how many Newfies do you think live in this town? Let's go back a little....anyone EAST of Quebec is either a Habs or Leafs fan. Ergo, all those Habs and Leaf jerseys you see are worn by transplanted Albertans from the Maritmes.....clear?
    I know lots of native Edmontonians, and I'm sure you do as well that wear Leaf jersey's at Oilers home games. Maybe a few of them are reading our conversation. There will be a lot of those Home grown Edmontonians that are Leaf's for a day at Rogers Place Arena tonight. If I was working tonight, on my commute home, I'd see a lot of those Leaf jersey's on the LRT. At a glance, I'd hazard a guess that Leaf jersey's tonight will out number Oilers jersey's by 3-1. That and Talbot injured, Brossoit will steal one tonight but in OT.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Heartbreaker, that game was ours.

Thought so too. Bad break/oops at the wrong/worst time.

Once Brossoit calmed down he was good to great. But early, ... With Talbot the Oilers win that one.

And without some of the defensive ???'s. Lapse doesn't quite cover it. When Brossoit made the save that got his confidence back.

I think the Oilers have to look for another goalie, right now. Chiarelli can't sit this one out. Watching the Detroit feed for their game against the Habs, and Mickey Redmond said (paraphrasing) "If they get another high lottery pick, this year, there should be an investigation, because it's criminal, this year, with those players." Always colourful, and definitely a homer, but I can understand how they feel about that in Detroit.

Did you see the look on the backup guy's face? Too much pressure for a young kid.

Maybe Niemi out of Montreal. They have Price back, Lindgren playing pretty well, Montoya in the minors, and Zach Fucale if they need him.

I doubt they'd expect much if anything in return.

I've heard rumours surrounding Tuuka Rask. He's a great goalie. Not playing great right now. Don't know that much about the situation, but appears someone else is the starter. Big contract. Don't know how that could possibly work out. Maybe Boston want Lucic back? Can't see it.

The Oilers need to get through this Talbot-less period. Then they need to go on a run. One great week could change everything.

I think the Oilers are a better team than the record shows. They could have won this one. I don't think failing to manage expectations was part of the problem, as coach Todd alludes. It just makes it hurt more when so many predicted the team Stanley Cup favourites.

It should hurt. Frankly, I think managing expectations is part of the problem. Every team should feel like they could win the Cup.

As much as people talk about their playoff success last year, I think their regular season was just as big. They know how to do it. They've done it. It wasn't easy. Hard work.

Did I mention they need goaltending?

Maybe you're right, and part of it is that teams aren't caught by surprise anymore, but my feeling is that this team hasn't been working as well as a team.

The only thing they can control is winning. They need to string a few together, maybe with a loss here and there, and reel all the teams in one by one, like Ottawa did a couple seasons ago. I think they can do it. But they need a goalie now, hopefully better than a backup to Brossoit.

How is a game in which we never had the lead ours?

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast