Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Oilers 2017-18 Season

Bang on Mr. Reality Check.

This is an organization problem, not a roster problem. You can't fire the team, so unfortunately you have to fire the coach. Might as well clean house at the same time.

C2E Long Term Contributor

They cleaned house 3 years ago once the team earned first dibs on McJesus, and this was after years of constantly rotating coaches and GMs. How many more house cleanings do you people want them to do?

No, there has to be something else.
    It could be one player - notice how well they played when Klefbom was on IR?
    It could be a few players.
    It could be that the roster moves during the summer have ruined the team chemistry.
    It could be an inability to handle loftier expectations.
    It could be overall team leadership.
    It could be coaching.
    It could be pro scouting - to wit, their recent inability to score on relatively unknown backup goalies

Certainly 2 key reasons for last season's success, Talbot and Draisaitl, have not been playing to the same level this season. But is that on themselves, on the team, on the coaching staff or the management?

I would give Chiarelli and McLellan one more season before hitting the red button.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    They cleaned house 3 years ago once the team earned first dibs on McJesus, and this was after years of constantly rotating coaches and GMs. How many more house cleanings do you people want them to do?

No, there has to be something else.
    It could be one player - notice how well they played when Klefbom was on IR?
    It could be a few players.
    It could be that the roster moves during the summer have ruined the team chemistry.
    It could be an inability to handle loftier expectations.
    It could be overall team leadership.
    It could be coaching.
    It could be pro scouting - to wit, their recent inability to score on relatively unknown backup goalies

Certainly 2 key reasons for last season's success, Talbot and Draisaitl, have not been playing to the same level this season. But is that on themselves, on the team, on the coaching staff or the management?

I would give Chiarelli and McLellan one more season before hitting the red button.
    i’m not sure about the “housecleaning”...

housecleaning is usually “out with the old/in with the new” and they certainly did bring in some new but most of the old were shuffled, not out. they’re still there influencing attitude and basking in the glory days and hosting reunion after celebration after memory lane reminiscence.

current players are constantly compared with the greats as individuals on talent (which is good for their egos but not necessarily their work ethic) but those glory year teams learned to thrive and to win based on their work ethic, not their talent.

you are correct - it “could be” any of the points you listed. for a year or two. but for it to last a decade or two it seems to have to be more systemic than that. and to give it another year and then blame the two newcomers probably isn’t going to fix it.
    Last edited by kcantor; 01-01-2018 at 08:58 PM.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by SDM

They did clear out some people, but on the other hand, they also retained or promoted those who were most responsible for the Decade of Darkness. Lowe, MacT, and Howson are all still cashing Oilers cheques. There's probably other, less well known names as well up and down the organization. The one thing I hoped Nicholson and PC would do, they didn't. Likely because at the end of the day, Katz won't let them. And that kind of rot will continue to eat away at an organization so long as it's tolerated.

I have nothing against Lowe, MacT, or Howson personally. I actually chatted with the latter two in a group setting for a couple hours in New York and Boston a few years ago when I went on a trip to see a couple games out East, and they were both really engaging, friendly guys to talk with. Eakins instead of interacting as an actual human being, just droned on in some sort of speech for 30 minutes and then walked out. Not once did he smile or betray any outward emotion of any type. He may as well have been a platitude-bot.

Maybe I do have it out for Lowe a bit, but it's well deserved after he took a dump on the entire Oilers fan base, or nearly all of it (those that don't have season tickets or regularly attend games), at MacT's hiring press conference. Yes, he apologized, but it was half assed and he should never have been given the chance to do so by the organization. He should have been summarily fired before the presser was even over. Refresher here:
    https://oilersnation.com/2013/04/15/kevin-lowe-we-have-two-types-of-fans/

And we saw how that hiring worked out. MacT was a total disaster as GM, and the pointed questions coming Lowe's way were well deserved. His reaction to those questions was one of amazing arrogance ("if you need to know about winning, I think I know a few things"), especially in light of his absolutely atrocious record (other than 2006) as an NHL executive.

Those 3 are emblematic of everything that was wrong with the organization, and they continue to be employed by it. Regardless of how much or little influence they have in actual hockey related matters, their continued employment tells you all you need to know about how that team is run in reality. When I see the statements on my business's Oilers season tickets every fall, part of me dies inside knowing that some small portion of my payment goes towards paying those 3 salaries. I'd bet that the vast majority of season ticket holders feel the same way.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 01-01-2018 at 09:00 PM.

C2E SME

Two things that really get me:

(1) The PK percentage at home (<60%) is the worst in NHL history.
    (2) Getting an early goal scored on you.

I don't blame one player for this, but it seems more like mental errors.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Hopefully people will stop paying for this crap at some point.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Two things that really get me:

(1) The PK percentage at home (<60%) is the worst in NHL history.
    (2) Getting an early goal scored on you.

I don't blame one player for this, but it seems more like mental errors.
    I think it's always going to seem like it's one player making a mistake on most goals. Modern power plays are designed to create options forcing a defensive player to commit to one or the other.

Every team uses similar variations of the same power plays most of the time. It's all in the execution. With a great power play team like Nashville you know what they're going to try to do (bump it down low to a guy standing at the side of the net and he either bumps it to the slot, or to the right winger, or takes it to the net, or passes it across in front of the crease, etc.) and if they execute it's nearly impossible to stop.

That's why I think the Oilers (and every other team) need to constantly pressure the opposition into fumbling the puck, keep very active sticks, and block the shooting lanes (while somehow, magically, managing to let the goaltender see the puck). Of course preventing them from gaining the zone in the first place would be nice. All easier said than done. Oh, and don't take penalties.

Often it's get the puck in deep along the boards, gain possession through numerical advantage, bump the puck back to the point, go D to D to open the box up, bump it back to the centre D "quarterback" to set up a 1 3 1, run set plays designed to give the most options, force the PK to overcommit, get the goalie moving side to side, and execute.

They know what to do. I don't know why it's not working, but I'm not a hockey coach. Unfortunately neither do they, apparently.

I think the #1 factor is goaltending, and while I still think Talbot is great, he's not other worldly.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Having Hendricks on home ice in another jersey might have had a big impact on the results on Sunday's game. I'm chalking that loss to Hendricks.
    Last edited by envaneo; 02-01-2018 at 01:30 AM.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

I've heard variations of the phrase "we've got to get back that swagger we had when we were winning" countless times over the years, and I heard it again this week.

I wonder if some believe winning comes from the swagger, rather than the swagger coming from winning. Maybe some of that coming from the top.

aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

1-0 2nd intermission and they get a 4. change minute pp

Not looking good

no way our coaching staff can last another half season

The opposition has scored a lot of goals over Talbot's shoulders this year.

C2E SME

I don't think Maroon's hit on Doughty was a malicious hit. He didn't turn or raise his shoulder.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ The fact that he got up under his own power is a good sign he's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by trick91 View Post
    no way our coaching staff can last another half season
    They may wish to quit just to salvage their careers.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E SME

The Oilers gave up 28 short-handed goals (on 63 penalties) at home. If the Oilers were around the league average, it would be about half that. And we would probably have about eight more points in the NHL standings.

Meanwhile Vegas Golden Knights move into first place in the west.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Two 5-0 games back to back. Plus Brown outpaces Gretzky for the most goals in a Kings jersey.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The Oilers gave up 28 short-handed goals (on 63 penalties) at home. If the Oilers were around the league average, it would be about half that. And we would probably have about eight more points in the NHL standings.
    Interesting stat.

Even with all the money, ownership through the roster, they have a hard time buying a goal at this point

^I think TM (and special team coaches) will be fired shortly. Maroon will be traded for a pick.

I have felt for many years that Katz is,by far, the worst owner in the NHL. Please tell me how McTavish and Howson still have a job within the hockey operations of this team? It would not happen with any other team. Now that Wayne is part of the team expect Keith Gretzky to be our next GM by the draft. This team is embarrassing and the players and coaches will take the fall, when it should be the man at the top, the owner. Please due Connor McDavid a favour and get him to a well run organization so he can develop into the all-world player that he deserves. (This is coming from an Oilers fan that is sick of this poorly run organization).

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

When was the last time TM called a time out during a game? I'm not about to panic yet and the sky isn't falling. Everybody wants to blame the coach. Somebody once said here something like, "there's no better coach then the one you just had."

When was the last time one of the leaders on an Oilers roster had a on ice meeting just with the players? That meant no higher ups etc.

As drastic as this may sound to light a spark, why not remove the "C" from the jersey?

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Meanwhile Vegas Golden Knights move into first place in the west.
    Proof any team can win if they believe in themselves and have the proper work ethic.

It was a great game until the 5min major. Hell, if Puljujarvi hadn't missed that open net 2mins before, it would have been 1-1 and we had the momentum. Shows how much can change from a play or 2.

We collapsed and didn't recover, but prior to that we were playing the best road team with a goalie who owns us very well.

...that said, all of this 'it starts' tonight talk by the boys sure didn't work.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E SME

I don't think Maroon's hit on Doughty was a malicious hit. He didn't turn or raise his shoulder.
    It was dirty as hell and extremely malicious. He knew exactly what he was doing. Totally idiotic on his part.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    It was dirty as hell and extremely malicious. He knew exactly what he was doing. Totally idiotic on his part.
    Agreed. It's time the Org. sent this generation's version of Brett Callighen packing. And if I have to see another classic Maroon 'rolling off' body check.....
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    It was a great game until the 5min major. Hell, if Puljujarvi hadn't missed that open net 2mins before, it would have been 1-1 and we had the momentum. Shows how much can change from a play or 2.

We collapsed and didn't recover, but prior to that we were playing the best road team with a goalie who owns us very well.

...that said, all of this 'it starts' tonight talk by the boys sure didn't work.
    Some great moments in the first period, second was dull as hell. We played at a speed very comfortable for LA. Third was just bad luck. And somehow we can't score at all.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Until that 1st goal it was a good game. Doughty and Maroon were going at it all night. Wasn't that Doughty Maroon was chirping at taking his time getting off the ice?

I have attended 4 games this year due to extensive work/business schedule that had to be obligated, so I'm clueless as to how things are going. This is pretty much the same group of commentaries that pretty much said Kevin Lowe and Craig McTavish were the problem as they didn't know what they were doing. They're out of the scene now and different management has taken over, so who can be blamed now? Or should we finally let the players know they need step forward and become honest working men win or lose? From the expoundations I have ready slightly into, I'm hearing the same routine as when Kevin was at the helm. Do we go back to blaming Kevin, or do we blame Chiarelli now? To me, these players are workers like you and I; and it appears they failed at their at this stage not regarding that they have not won enough. However, you all unanimously echoed similar sentiments that there were lack of efforts through out the season so far. Do these players even care to win a cup? Or do they just care for a glorified paycheck? To even have thoughts of being a champion, one must know what an honest effort is, and it all starts from there. Are our players honest contributors regardless of natural abilities?

I don't know what to think. Looked bad. But not characteristic of his play.

He does play his best when he's on the edge, and maybe just a bit over. This was way over.

I don't get it. Out of the blue. Just dumb, from a pretty smart player. Notwithstanding what looked like a deliberate head shot to me, Doughty never came close to having possession of the puck. How is a ref going to miss that? 195 feet from your net?

The Oilers were in the game, and McDavid was flying.

The penalty kill. Yikes. But in addition to the five minute major, the cheap shot fired up LA, and they made them pay.

It's been said a million (or so) times - your number one penalty killer has to be your goaltender. talbot's a great goalie, but he's not 100% great 100% of the time, like he was last year.

I think the biggest failing as an organization is the failure to secure an experienced backup. They should have done it before the season started (Ryan Miller signed for $2M x 2 in Anaheim), and they sure should have done something when Talbot was out.

I thought the reason Eberle had to go was to free up cap space? The Oilers have the 3rd most cap space in the league. Is Chiarelli making calls? Or is he sitting it out?

I'm hearing Max Pacioretti for RNH rumours, with various players/picks sweetening the deal. Maybe Tomas Plekanic comes too, as a rental on the last year of his contract. Niemi or Montoya for Brossoit.

I dunno. Something needs to happen.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 04-01-2018 at 02:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Until that 1st goal it was a good game. Doughty and Maroon were going at it all night. Wasn't that Doughty Maroon was chirping at taking his time getting off the ice?
    I wouldn't be surprised. The announcers were saying he was playing with an edge to his game. I think he lost his head over something. He was out to get Doughty for sure. Selfish and dumb, from a guy who is neither.

When was the last time TM called a time out during a game? I'm not about to panic yet and the sky isn't falling. Everybody wants to blame the coach. Somebody once said here something like, "there's no better coach then the one you just had."

When was the last time one of the leaders on an Oilers roster had a on ice meeting just with the players? That meant no higher ups etc.

As drastic as this may sound to light a spark, why not remove the "C" from the jersey?
    I worked at a great club, and we had a world class bartender. Not fancy or anything, but always showed up, worked his tail off, always friendly and professional, really all you could ask for. So, of course, we promoted him to manager.

We got an OK manager, and we lost our best bartender.

McDavid is the leader whether he wears the C or not. Maybe someone else takes the C, does all the interviews, etc. and McDavid just has to worry about being Connor McDavid.

Losing the C didn't hurt Joe Thornton, or the Sharks.

It's also one step removed from Gretzky comparisons.

Something to consider, but zero chance it'll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    I have attended 4 games this year due to extensive work/business schedule that had to be obligated, so I'm clueless as to how things are going. This is pretty much the same group of commentaries that pretty much said Kevin Lowe and Craig McTavish were the problem as they didn't know what they were doing. They're out of the scene now and different management has taken over, so who can be blamed now? Or should we finally let the players know they need step forward and become honest working men win or lose? From the expoundations I have ready slightly into, I'm hearing the same routine as when Kevin was at the helm. Do we go back to blaming Kevin, or do we blame Chiarelli now? To me, these players are workers like you and I; and it appears they failed at their at this stage not regarding that they have not won enough. However, you all unanimously echoed similar sentiments that there were lack of efforts through out the season so far. Do these players even care to win a cup? Or do they just care for a glorified paycheck? To even have thoughts of being a champion, one must know what an honest effort is, and it all starts from there. Are our players honest contributors regardless of natural abilities?
    I think Lowe is symbolic at this point. As someone keeps pointing out (Doug?), the lack of urgency in this organization is astounding.

Keep the glory days Oilers away from this team.

The team needs a 1B backup goalie. Someone who can get hot when Talbot's not. They needed that to start the season.

Put Khaira on the top line with McDavid and Puljujarvi. He makes mistakes, but I've never seen him mail in a shift, and he's big, and faster than either Lucic or Maroon.

Put him on the PK too. And the power play. He's kicking butt out there. I think Slepyshev is busting his tail too. Put Auvitu at forward. Then try Nurse at forward.

Meanwhile Draisaitl is doing a lot of gliding around looking lost. He is lost.

I'm being dramatic. All is not lost. The game wasn't lost on the 5 minute power play, but it made it impossible to win, or get a loser point. That's not something that happens again, I'm hoping.

Put the damn game behind you and win the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by SDM

They did clear out some people, but on the other hand, they also retained or promoted those who were most responsible for the Decade of Darkness. Lowe, MacT, and Howson are all still cashing Oilers cheques. There's probably other, less well known names as well up and down the organization. The one thing I hoped Nicholson and PC would do, they didn't. Likely because at the end of the day, Katz won't let them. And that kind of rot will continue to eat away at an organization so long as it's tolerated.

I have nothing against Lowe, MacT, or Howson personally. I actually chatted with the latter two in a group setting for a couple hours in New York and Boston a few years ago when I went on a trip to see a couple games out East, and they were both really engaging, friendly guys to talk with. Eakins instead of interacting as an actual human being, just droned on in some sort of speech for 30 minutes and then walked out. Not once did he smile or betray any outward emotion of any type. He may as well have been a platitude-bot.

Maybe I do have it out for Lowe a bit, but it's well deserved after he took a dump on the entire Oilers fan base, or nearly all of it (those that don't have season tickets or regularly attend games), at MacT's hiring press conference. Yes, he apologized, but it was half assed and he should never have been given the chance to do so by the organization. He should have been summarily fired before the presser was even over. Refresher here:
    https://oilersnation.com/2013/04/15/kevin-lowe-we-have-two-types-of-fans/

And we saw how that hiring worked out. MacT was a total disaster as GM, and the pointed questions coming Lowe's way were well deserved. His reaction to those questions was one of amazing arrogance ("if you need to know about winning, I think I know a few things"), especially in light of his absolutely atrocious record (other than 2006) as an NHL executive.

Those 3 are emblematic of everything that was wrong with the organization, and they continue to be employed by it. Regardless of how much or little influence they have in actual hockey related matters, their continued employment tells you all you need to know about how that team is run in reality. When I see the statements on my business's Oilers season tickets every fall, part of me dies inside knowing that some small portion of my payment goes towards paying those 3 salaries. I'd bet that the vast majority of season ticket holders feel the same way.
    In fairness, may i remind you two of the three knew how to contribute honestly every night when they wore the Oilers' jersey, and helped our city gained 5 cups, 1 runner up, and one semi final. I watched them played as a kid from my first year in Canada until that Dynasty came to an end. Those two gave 110% every game. Kevin was not cocky with that statement because there are six rings on his hand/s. It is no different then you with your experience in your trade and us telling you you know [email protected] all. What would your responses be? There are times you and a few deep insiders have slight cocky attitude as well on C2E over regularly forumers, and I don't interject as you have that acute knowledge and experience. I think you need to give the same respect to Kevin and Craig the way I give you. You comment( postulate ) on a hypothesis without any acute knowledge as to what they have deal with. I'll reiterate this again. A poll was done two or so years ago with the players, and they chose Edmonton to be the least desired club to play for. The reason was, we as fans had too much expectations. This trend commenced with Jim Carson through the Gretzky trade as he was a second pick over all . Then came Peter Klima with the same attitude. Culminate this delima with a decade of being the bottom pole of the league with owners whom's pocket couldn't compete with the deep pocket Cable corporate owner of the Rangers, and. Wealthy teams such as Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, Miami, Toronto, Montreal, and a few others. Our poverty afforded us lower calibers. When we became a have team, players didn't want to come here. You can be the best scout in the world, but if players don't care to play here, we will not have a contending team. Straight up buddy. Per other issue you stated, people make mistakes all the time. Just because they're in the spotlight, it does not make them God as they bleed like you and I at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

I think Lowe is symbolic at this point. As someone keeps pointing out (Doug?), the lack of urgency in this organization is astounding.

Meanwhile Draisaitl is doing a lot of gliding around looking lost. He is lost..
    I agree on Lowe - it’s hard to blame him now, others have been in charge for some time. On Draisaitl, it was a very bad move by PC to overpay, and the results when you do that are predicable. The intensity drops for Draisaitl (nothing to prove anymore, he gets his cheque which is at least 1.5m more than his comparables), and the rest of the team says, “why does he get overpaid and not me? Screw that...” and the effort levels drop off. All the rumours of internal strife flow from that, where there is smoke there is some sort of fire.

Keep the glory days Oilers away from this team.

The team needs a 1B backup goalie. Someone who can get hot when Talbot's not. They needed that to start the season.

Put Khaira on the top line with McDavid and Puljujarvi. He makes mistakes, but I've never seen him mail in a shift, and he's big, and faster than either Lucic or Maroon.

Put him on the PK too. And the power play. He's kicking butt out there. I think Slepyshev is busting his tail too. Put Auvitu at forward. Then try Nurse at forward.

Meanwhile Draisaitl is doing a lot of gliding around looking lost. He is lost.

I'm being dramatic. All is not lost. The game wasn't lost on the 5 minute power play, but it made it impossible to win, or get a loser point. That's not something that happens again, I'm hoping.

Put the damn game behind you and win the next one.
    Draisaitl over the last month has been saddled with two winger projects. Strome ( a bust) and Khaira (a developing project) He's playing without a bonafide second on his line and he's had tough rowing. Against the Jets he was often out on the ice against the Jets topline while carrying these two. Despite that he managed a stretch within that of 10pts/6gp before the wheels came off the entire team. Khaira has also had two to three indifferent games in a row now which resulted in him practicing with the bottom 5 which was a message he could be scratched. Drai has had a lot to carry here and none of the other Centers on this club are without a bonafide winger to play with. In fact Strome and Cagg and Cammaleri, the latter 2 of who he's been playing with now would be my last pick of any wingers to play with Drai. He works well with large bodies. Any of Lucic, Maroon, Slepy, Kassian, will do.

But all is lost, for this season. This lineup does not have the fortitude or coaching to go on a roll. Truth be told, beyond their pad answers they don't have faith to get it done. That faith hits a train almost every game now.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-ed
    In fairness, may i remind you two of the three knew how to contribute honestly every night when they wore the Oilers' jersey, and helped our city gained 5 cups, 1 runner up, and one semi final. I watched them played as a kid from my first year in Canada until that Dynasty came to an end. Those two gave 110% every game. Kevin was not cocky with that statement because there are six rings on his hand/s.

I've never said anything negative about their legacies as players. That being said, what does that have to do with their skills as executives? Absolutely nothing. And their records as executives in the NHL are probably the worst of all time. I don't think that kind of thing is tracked, but I cannot think of any GM or group of GM's (toss Tambo in with them too) who have been allowed to run a franchise for as long as they did, as poorly as they did. Garth Snow was close for awhile there, but he's actually managed to put together a pretty good team the last few years, and there's long been rumors of a lot of ownership meddling with that franchise as well. Other than that, what other NHL organization has been as bad as the Oilers have been for 10-20 years? Expansion teams aside. Gregor and Staples have both compiled stats on that in the past, and it's the Oilers by a mile. It's actually not even close.

It is no different then you with your experience in your trade and us telling you you know [email protected] all. What would your responses be? There are times you and a few deep insiders have slight cocky attitude as well on C2E over regularly forumers, and I don't interject as you have that acute knowledge and experience. I think you need to give the same respect to Kevin and Craig the way I give you. You comment( postulate ) on a hypothesis without any acute knowledge as to what they have deal with.

See above. Their managerial records should illicit only derision, not deference. And I don't care one whit about their records as players, if we're discussing their managerial accomplishments. The two have nothing to do with each other. Nothing.

I'll reiterate this again. A poll was done two or so years ago with the players, and they chose Edmonton to be the least desired club to play for. The reason was, we as fans had too much expectations.

Yeah, I'm going to need to see a citation for that claim. From what I recall, most informal polls of players on NHL city desirability indicate that Edmonton's lack of desirability is a combination of climate, culture, travel/geography, and most importantly being a laughing stock of an organization given it's atrocious record since the glory days. I've never heard this "fan expectation" thing. I mean, that's a ridiculous premise. The fans in Edmonton were ecstatic last year because the Oilers made the playoffs and won a round for the first time in 10+ years. No one was complaining that they didn't go further, everyone was quite pleasantly surprised they exceeded expectations. I don't think that the occasional playoff berth and maybe even winning a round or two more than once a decade is too much to ask for, here. I mean, if it was just random chance, they should make the playoffs roughly 50% of the time, and win a round once every 3-4 years.

The more I think about that, the more ridiculous it sounds. Detroit fans expected the team to make the playoffs every year, and go deep, for 20+ years. And they did it. Did you hear a peep about a lack of desirability about Detroit as a destination? Absolutely not. It's a dump of a city, too. But because the organization is so well run, and so successful, players were more than happy to go there (not so much these days, as it looks like they're heading towards a rebuild). Same goes with organizations like Chicago. You don't think that management and fans in Chicago have extremely high expectations? Why is there not an exodus from there, then?
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 04-01-2018 at 12:32 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I worked at a great club, and we had a world class bartender. Not fancy or anything, but always showed up, worked his tail off, always friendly and professional, really all you could ask for. So, of course, we promoted him to manager.

We got an OK manager, and we lost our best bartender.

McDavid is the leader whether he wears the C or not. Maybe someone else takes the C, does all the interviews, etc. and McDavid just has to worry about being Connor McDavid.

Losing the C didn't hurt Joe Thornton, or the Sharks.

It's also one step removed from Gretzky comparisons.

Something to consider, but zero chance it'll happen.
    That's a decent analogy for the C. My last post was a grasping at straws attempt to find something the players might rally behind. Seems to me the club needs to get out of Edmonton as they play better on the road this season. That 5 game road trip might help them get a streak going. The Oilers are a long way from 95 points.

Did you hear a peep about a lack of desirability about Detroit as a destination? Absolutely not. It's a dump of a city, too.
    That's a little harsh on Edmonton as a place to live I think.

C2E SME

"Too" was in reference to Detroit being a dump, in addition to having high expectations. It was not in reference to Edmonton.

Always maintained I would rather live here than almost any US City but I like living in places that don't have Trumps as presidents and don't have NRA and handgun mania.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-01-2018 at 02:03 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Thumbs up

^ Agreed

Oilers should win tonight (because i wont be watching the game) thank god.

^ Agreed

Oilers should win tonight (because i wont be watching the game) thank god.
    yeah, me too. I won't be watching and so that they will probably play fantastic and tempt me into watching a PVR of the game later. Albeit I'm caring less and less about the team presently.

I know no one here would agree with me but I'm ready for Mr W. Gretzky, a controlling parter of OEG to clean house re the Oilers management. Everyone including Mr Lowe, Mr McLellan, Mr Chiarelli, assistants etc and start with a clean slate. I'm recommending Mr K. Gretzky take over as President of the club and he knows a lot of good people to move into place. If not now at the end of the season if they do not make the playoffs. A fresh start.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 04-01-2018 at 08:08 PM.

I will be watching. Waiting for the game to start. If the team loses I still root for individual points. Conner has no points in three games so I will definitely be rooting for him.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 04-01-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Oilers acquire Al Montoya from Habs for conditional 2018 draft pick - fourth-rounder if he plays seven more games this regular season. If not, they get a fifth-rounder.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Backup

Buh bye LB.
    www.decl.org

Yup

That said, after this important win... WE WANT THE CUP!
    www.decl.org

Quite the battle, and the Oilers actually won. CM was skating circles around everybody tonight. I thought he was going to do a triple axle. That would be funny.

The Oilers really needed this in regulation. Almost at pull the goalie in a tie territory.

Flames won over LA. Colorado won (7-2 last 10 games, 4 wins in a row). Minny won. Dallas won. San Jose and Anaheim both got loser points.

C2E SME

As great as tonight's game was, I had some concerns about the powerplay goal scored on the Oilers.

Klefbom, Russell, Letestu and Kassian were on the ice killing the penalty, and they looked rusty.

My guess is that the Oilers will be also looking for another penalty killer.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Oilers need a premium top tier goal tender.

After 41 games last year : 21-13-7

This year: 18-20-3

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Oilers power play is on life support.

As great as tonight's game was, I had some concerns about the powerplay goal scored on the Oilers.

Klefbom, Russell, Letestu and Kassian were on the ice killing the penalty, and they looked rusty.

My guess is that the Oilers will be also looking for another penalty killer.
    it was klef, Russell, Nuge and McD. on the pk. None of them being particularly good at that assignment. As per usual a team has all day from up high to load up a shot pass that gets deflected for a GA. This happens all the time with the Oilers pk. RNH now 13.5GA/60mins on pk duty. My lord.

The Oilers have scored 1 goal in the last 3 home games. 1 goal in their last 200mins of hockey. Talbot stops 33 pucks last night, then Ducks in the shootout, and is a star in the game. It would seem the problem is other than goatending.

The Oilers have given up 29GA shorthanded in 21 home games. That's almost like starting each home game 1.3 goals behind. This is a record breaking bad NHL pk. Everytime the opponent gets a 2min PP they have almost half a chance of scoring at Rogers place. You're going to lose on that basis alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

The Oilers have scored 1 goal in the last 3 home games. 1 goal in their last 200mins of hockey. Talbot stops 33 pucks last night, then Ducks in the shootout, and is a star in the game. It would seem the problem is other than goatending.

The Oilers have given up 29GA shorthanded in 21 home games. That's almost like starting each home game 1.3 goals behind. This is a record breaking bad NHL pk. Everytime the opponent gets a 2min PP they have almost half a chance of scoring at Rogers place. You're going to lose on that basis alone.
    Goaltending is half the game, and more than half the penalty kill.

Talbot had a good game. He hasn't played like that all season. If he continues to play well the Oilers will win the games they should have won.

Getting a "real" backup was important. They should have done it before the season started. Montoya is a good backup, but he's just come back from a concussion.

And as for Draisaitl being saddled with lousy wingers, he piled up the points last year with McDavid, and got a huge paycheque, long-term. I thought he was skating pretty well when back on McDavid's line. Should have had a couple.

It's a great option to be able to put them together for a spark, but $27M on the top line leaves pretty slim pickings for the 3rd and 4th lines (not to mention goal and defence), going by salary. A lot of teams are rolling 4 lines these days.

One of two main reasons the Oilers had to shed salary and production. He needs to make up for it. He's going to need to carry a line at that price. He needs to play well without McDavid. He's not lazy, and he's not stupid. He was doing a lot of gliding when I was watching him, in situations where he needed to do something.

He's still young, and he'll find it. He has to.

I don't understand why the Oilers are using McDavid on the PK. I understand he wants to, and can, do it all.

They Oilers power play is too structured, and isn't putting enough pressure on the attacking players. Collapsing down with an active stick isn't doing the trick. You know how players look at the end of a ling shift - dead tired? The Oilers look like that at the beginning of a PK. Just hanging on.

Still, on the PK, it all comes back to goaltending.

I don't understand why the Oilers are using McDavid on the PK. I understand he wants to, and can, do it all.
    So what? Gretzky used to be on the PK too.
    The main purpose of having someone like McJesus on the PK is to generate short-handed goals.

The main purpose of having someone like McJesus on the PK is to generate short-handed goals.
    The main purpose of a penalty kill, is to kill a penalty.

For the last time, McDavid isn't Gretzky, and the aren't the 80's Oilers. This has nothing to do with the glory days, and I wish people would get over it.

I understand the nature of a counter threat to score, but nobody goes on the penalty kill looking first to score goals. No wonder it's the worst PK in history, at home.

McDavid is on the PP, PK, and gets double shifted a lot. It's not working out so well.

Who is in charge of the PK, and why does the person still have their job? It's quite clear to everyone who isn't behind the Oilers bench that they need to change something there, as we're getting our asses kicked.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

There are so many people working off the ice these days. There was a time when Glen Sather was the President, General Manager, and Coach of the team and they played OK. Now they have 20 or 30 people between the Owner and the players. Coaches of this and that and their assistants. This manager that manager this assistant and that. Pres and Vice President of this and of that. Partners, etc etc. Boggles the mind. A lot of cooks.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 06-01-2018 at 12:49 AM.

For the last time, McDavid isn't Gretzky, and the aren't the 80's Oilers. This has nothing to do with the glory days, and I wish people would get over it.

I understand the nature of a counter threat to score, but nobody goes on the penalty kill looking first to score goals. No wonder it's the worst PK in history, at home.

McDavid is on the PP, PK, and gets double shifted a lot. It's not working out so well.
    I get what you're trying to say regarding not going for goals while penalty killing and all the other aspects. It had me laughing a little bit- not at you- but Gretzky did everything the opposite of what you said shouldn't be done. He kills penalty, but most times he and Kuri would go on the offensive short handed and score most times even when they were 3 on 5 lol. I Remembered the season when Gretz scored 92 goals (1985?) where 32 of those goals were short handed, and i believe Kuri had 16-18. He even scored shorthanded on the 39th game where he scored 4 or 5 goals that night against Philadelphia to set that record. It is pretty hard not to reminisce of the dynasty era when you lived through that. The fear from the opponents when he and Kuri were on shift is what has me laughing. Gretz was on PP, PK, double shifted, and all...
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

C2E SME

Part of me wonders how much the Oilers miss Matt Hendricks. Look at how Winnipeg's doing.

I get what you're trying to say regarding not going for goals while penalty killing and all the other aspects. It had me laughing a little bit- not at you- but Gretzky did everything the opposite of what you said shouldn't be done. He kills penalty, but most times he and Kuri would go on the offensive short handed and score most times even when they were 3 on 5 lol. I Remembered the season when Gretz scored 92 goals (1985?) where 32 of those goals were short handed, and i believe Kuri had 16-18. He even scored shorthanded on the 39th game where he scored 4 or 5 goals that night against Philadelphia to set that record. It is pretty hard not to reminisce of the dynasty era when you lived through that. The fear from the opponents when he and Kuri were on shift is what has me laughing. Gretz was on PP, PK, double shifted, and all...
    I remember it well. Those were the days.

The point isn't just that McDavid isn't Gretzky. Both are one-offs. It's that the game is entirely different than the 80's. I don't think it helps to be constantly compared to that team, and I think it's nuts to try to build a team in that mold.

I'm not even sure it's good to have them around so much.

Is McDavid a great penalty killer? Probably. He's better 5 on 5, and on the power play. The answer to every problem can't be McDavid. It's bound to wear him down.

I can see him out there sometimes. A ton of speed, obviously, but a long reach too. I'd rather not see him blocking shots if someone else can do it better. Draisaitl's big and semi-fast.

The penalty kill at home is setting records for incompetence. It's not working. There's no one reason why. It's different every game.

Part of me wonders how much the Oilers miss Matt Hendricks. Look at how Winnipeg's doing.
    The Jets are a deep team. I'm surprised he made it, and it speaks well for what he brings to a game.

I tried to find a way to ask the Oilers this but apparently they can't be reached by email, only paper mail and the usual social media which I don't use so maybe someone here can ask via those channels:

1. How often are the goalposts painted?

2. Is there a specific shade of red mandated by the league for the posts and dashers?

Sorry I can't help. I'd bet thy have standard colours.

Maybe the worst period of the season for the Oilers.

I've mostly stopped watching the Oilers broadcasts, because I couldn't take all the excuses (like bending over backwards to excuse the Maroon brain cramp major).

The Dallas announcers are saying there's a lot of room in the offensive zone, and that Oilers defensemen don't like to challenge. No kidding. Also added there wasn't much back pressure. Ouch.

When you're in a last chance to save the season mode you can't afford to glide through games. The Oilers look dead tired.

C2E SME

I remember Roger Millions getting fired from the CFRN broadcasts for saying something negative about the Oilers. It's tiring to have the media put a spin on the Oilers.

I remember Roger Millions getting fired from the CFRN broadcasts for saying something negative about the Oilers. It's tiring to have the media put a spin on the Oilers.
    You remember wrong - no wonder you're so tired. Googling "Roger Millions fired" finds nothing except an old gaffee he made on live TV. He's still doing Flames games. And it doesn't appear he's ever worked for CFRN.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

3 pp 7 shots and 1 goal.

When McDavid was being held up along the boards there, no penalty. When a player gets his stick chopped in 2 isn't that an automatic penalty?

If TM doesn't start with Montoya in goal tomorrow, we could expect a similar result in Chicago.

The Oilers are continuing a long post-80s tradition of losing games in the 1st period, which is a bummer for Tier 1 & 2 fans watching in real time, but pretty handy for Tier 3 fans with DVRs.

If they can't beat Chicago tomorrow then that's it for the season AFAIC.

We have no chemistry, no plays and few high percentage plays.
    www.decl.org

I suspect Chiarelli had been looking to pick up a backup goaltender from the Habs for awhile, but had to wait until Montoya got healthy.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Plus Maroon should be back from his 2 game suspension today, I hope.

god i hate anthems
    Last edited by envaneo; 07-01-2018 at 02:03 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Lets hope the Oilers play better after the bye-week. This is tough to watch

Lets hope the Oilers play better after the bye-week. This is tough to watch
    Even tougher watching the home broadcast. Even Remenda must be getting sick of talking about how great McDavid is.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Uh-huh. I still have faith in this team, and like the commentary said the Oilers are now 10-11-1 against Western teams.

Mercifully, I'll be working nights all week so I'll miss watching most of the road games. Thank god.

The team has definitely lost its swagger and confidence especially compared to last year's playoffs. Once you shutdown McDavid and Draisaitl the cupboard's bare, even last year it was apparent that the team was very reliant on their output.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Lets not forget out of this 3 game series with Chicago, Oilers got 3 points, Hawks got 3 points

Oilers 1 W

Hawks 1 W (ot)

Hawks 1W

This series is even.

Also to be fair this game was a back-to-back for the Oilers and its mid season, no time to panic just yet.
    Last edited by envaneo; 07-01-2018 at 04:53 PM.

Lets not forget out of this 3 game series with Chicago, Oilers got 3 points, Hawks got 3 points

Oilers 1 W

Hawks 1 W (ot)

Hawks 1W

This series is even.

Also to be fair this game was a back-to-back for the Oilers and its mid season, no time to panic just yet.
    Isn't that 4 points (2 wins) for the Hawks?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Got distracted in between threads

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Can't seem to organize today

Talbot could have been better on the first goal from Schmaltz. Five hole. The second was a bad bounce, but still, it's like it went right through him. Five hole.

The killer, of course, was the Saad goal with seconds left in the second, with the Oilers right in it. Five hole.

Then, of course, the Oesterle goal.

Talbot should have had at least 2 of those, maybe three, maybe four.

Other than McDavid's ridiculous skating skills, we did F all today.
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Talbot could have been better on the first goal from Schmaltz. Five hole. The second was a bad bounce, but still, it's like it went right through him. Five hole.

The killer, of course, was the Saad goal with seconds left in the second, with the Oilers right in it. Five hole.

Jimbo, even if you're right and talbot did "have" 2 of those, they still would have lost this one 2 -1.

since the christmas break this team has allowed 28 goals in 7 games while only scoring 10.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Did the Oilers get back from Christmas break yet?.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

I blame Talbot on the 2nd goal. Shouldn't be that gap there. The first goal no way. Nuge there doing nothing as the puck hanging around and Schmaltz just picks up the free puck, thanks, and wanders in with all kinds of time.

3rd goal is on Strome who screwed up, lost his mind, and made the horrendous decision of pinching instead of numbers back and with 24secs left in period and Toews on the ice. This was a harmless offensive zone possession and all we had to do was run the clock out. Of course we're expecting Strome to be more than a pylon but how could a multi year vet forward make that decision. I mean theres no risk reward to it, only Risk. Toews then beats Strome off the puck, play transitions up ice, then Strome has another chance to check Toews and still can't and instead hauls him down, Toews does what he wanted anyway and set up the goal. 9 secs left. All Strome had to do was play safe and be numbers back and nothing happens there.

But we scored 1 goal. We've scored 10 goals in the last 7 games. You don't win that way, period.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

Jimbo, even if you're right and talbot did "have" 2 of those, they still would have lost this one 2 -1.

since the christmas break this team has allowed 28 goals in 7 games while only scoring 10.
    They really have only a few things they need to fix; Goaltending, Defence, Offence, the Penalty Kill, the Power Play, Face-offs, Passing, Shooting, Scoring, 5 on 5, 4 on 4, 3 on 3, and the shootout.

On the bright side, pretty good at hitting and blocking shots.

Talbot needs to be better. He's their only hope. I think he's playing really well, and he's a really good goalie, but they need a miracle. Unfortunately it's too much to ask of any goalie to play the way he did last year.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 07-01-2018 at 09:33 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

An interesting stat from this afternoons route, commentary said that The Oilers/Hawks are the two best shots on goal teams in the NHL. I don't know if that s average or what?

I don't know what's wrong with Talbot...something is.

Draisaitl and Klefbom to Ottawa for Karlsson. Make it so.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    I don't know what's wrong with Talbot...something is.
    Talbot's not the same guy he was last season.

But neither is Draisaitl. Nowhere near the level we were expecting when he was so richly rewarded. He should be playing at the level of a MacKinnon, or at least Sean Monohan. I know it's not just about the pay scale, but it's a lot tougher to be disappointed with someone making a fraction of what he's getting, because that's all that was left on the table.

Or Caggiula. Or Slepyshev. I get the feeling both are on the way out. Or Klefbom. When was the last time anyone thought he was a legitimate threat to score from the point? Or Larsson, who may still be hurt. And, so far, Sekera. I can only think Sekera is still injured. Why else would you sit a guy like that?

When a player is drummed out of town the way Eberle was, it's no surprise when you don't get the same value back. Strome is an honest, hard working, versatile, hockey player, but a step down from Eberle.

McDavid's playing great, but he's a one man team right now.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Draisaitl and Klefbom to Ottawa for Karlsson. Make it so.
    And people here think I'm sometimes off side for my hockey acumen
    Last edited by envaneo; 08-01-2018 at 01:17 AM.

On Oilers Now they were saying only three people should feel secure in their jobs right now. Daryl Katz, partner Wayne Gretzky, and Connor McDavid.

Has anyone noticed that in this season of Oilers suckage SportsNet now gives Oilers fans more chances to watch them? For example if you miss whatever happens against the Predators tonight, you can see it at 11am tomorrow. Or Saturday's game against the Golden Knights on Sunday at 5:30 or 1030am.

Yeah, Top_Dawg loves Rogers' morning offerings.

Beyond hilarious.

Previous night's coiler abortion.

Or that complete fubar show where they televise a radio broadcast of Kypreos, Shannon, McLean et al sitting around boring the pi$$ out of everyone with their supposed hockey insights.

Jewels.

All of them.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast