Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Level Line

snicker...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Nothing says "Take us seriously" than t-shirts with a design that appears to be random squiggles.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Really guys.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Give us something other than a few whimsical sketches and a t-shirt design that really doesn't tell you what it's about.

Seriously, the one sketch that shows a guy about to be run over by the streetcar and no suicide barriers like there are one level down. Do they think that people won't decide to get a bit more altitude if they decide to jump?

Yeah, really IanO...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

EPS had the high level bridge shut down last night. A jumper had climbed around the suicide barriers, and was about to jump... I watched the police talk the person out of it from near the royal glenora, and watched how easy it was to return back to the 'safe side'. Those suicide barriers on the high level bridge are a waste of money, and do not prevent people from attempting to jump.

Here's another image from the high level line which is equally as disturbing....

Last edited by Medwards; 22-08-2018 at 08:46 AM.

Disturbing is tight. Do people realize how narrow the tunnel is?

Looks more like a LSD trip than anything else. All that is missing are walruses. ..

That picture of the tunnel is disturbing alright, because you know everyone walks the LRT tunnels as it's a great shortcut. Also love the lady in the white t-shirt smoking a cig, although if the image had liberal influence it could also be a joint I suppose....

As for the t-shirt, I'm all for minimalist art but it just looks like no effort really... Nobody would know what the squiggly line means. Could have done some nice font work with HLL on the front or something. Or even a simple low-poly representation of the bridge, or an abstract of connecting communities.

Or a combination of the above suggestions like a simple representation of the university, or Whyte Ave on one side, the downtown skyline on the otherside, and the bridge in the middle connecting the two.
    Last edited by alkeli; 22-08-2018 at 09:24 AM.

Internet forums best!

Has anyone taken the time to come to one of their events or reviewed their website in full or read the comments about how this is intended to be 'loose' at the moment in terms of concept/design/images/experiences.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Internet forums best!
    Says the guy with the top post counts on at least two forums! And on this one, about double the second highest poster.... Go you!

Has anyone taken the time to come to one of their events or reviewed their website in full or read the comments about how this is intended to be 'loose' at the moment in terms of concept/design/images/experiences.
    Yes, I've seen the entire website of ideas. I get that the images are just suppose to be bunch of ideas, loosely illustrated on an image, but some of its so tacky looking, its hard not to make fun of...

also, grow a sense of humour, and stop taking everyone so god damn seriously, and to heart. You must be fun at parties

To the rescue!

The people behind this are some of the very talented folks and I certainly encourage you to get better informed.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by alkeli View Post
    As for the t-shirt, I'm all for minimalist art but it just looks like no effort really... Nobody would know what the squiggly line means. Could have done some nice font work with HLL on the front or something. Or even a simple low-poly representation of the bridge, or an abstract of connecting communities.

Or a combination of the above suggestions like a simple representation of the university, or Whyte Ave on one side, the downtown skyline on the otherside, and the bridge in the middle connecting the two.
    Quoting myself above to add to it.

This took me about 10 minutes. Not the best considering I just slapped it together, but you get the idea

Last edited by alkeli; 22-08-2018 at 09:56 AM.

Happy to connect anyone to the group behind this if you want to learn more and get a better appreciation of their concept/design.
    www.decl.org

We are all very talented people I'm sure in our own fields. I'm a long time supporter of the high level bridge, and hoping to see more use of the upper deck, somehow, in the last few decades this bridge will be around for. It's hard to get 'better informed' through this website though, it's just a bunch of random ideas at this point, with no real mandate or authority provided by the city, or owner of the right of way, the province. When ideas start to turn into ACTUAL plans, I'm sure many of us will show more interest than poking fun at the odd imagery used.

This took me about 10 minutes. Not the best considering I just slapped it together, but you get the idea

Nice

Are t-shirts available with this design?

Join the Society and attend the next event then.
    www.decl.org

Happy to connect anyone to the group behind this if you want to learn more and get a better appreciation of their concept/design.
    Show us some realistic ideas and maybe we will stop laughing and take the idea seriously.

Seriously IanO.

I prefer to not join at this time. I have too many other commitments right now. I'll continue to voice my opinion on my soapbox here

thanks for the offer though.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Show us some realistic ideas and maybe we will stop laughing and take the idea seriously.

Seriously IanO.
    The whole idea is to spur ideas from these cartoon/conceptual images and to bring more people into the fold to help refine/design/partake.
    www.decl.org

... and they are forming these ideas without much of a mandate or direction from the city or province. Sounds like a big exercise in futility. Hey guys, lets brainstorm a bunch of ideas that will never see the light of day....

I'm not even sure why you are getting so defensive IanO.... Have you lost any sort of humility or no longer can tell a joke from reality? Just let the joke go. My god. Sit down, be humble.

Seriously IanO.
    The whole idea is to spur ideas from these cartoon/conceptual images and to bring more people into the fold to help refine/design/partake.
    Sorry IanO, the results are just the opposite.

Yep, if they want to build public support they will need to present something a little more concrete and achievable. Like, getting the dirt path along the Strathcona section of the line paved just got added to the "bike routes" part of Strathcona renewal because a councillor thought it was a good idea and it's simple.

If the high level line people had more of a concrete plan for that section it probably wouldn't be too hard to get it done in the next few years - but it has to be something that people can get behind.
    There can only be one.

Nice

Are t-shirts available with this design?

Haha, it can be. Upload it to entripy.com to design your own t-shirt and they'll print it and mail it to you
    I know it's a joke, but if anyone seriously wants to, I give full permission to use the graphic I made to anyone who wants it.
    Last edited by alkeli; 22-08-2018 at 10:41 AM.

Again folks, early days and lots of moving parts. I am part of the Society, but not part of the actual group behind this, but it has good support and i'd guess that we see elements of it move forward in stages with cooperation from all orders of government and multiple landowners.

Great idea, more to come.
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

I haven't even seen the 'squiggly' t-shirt, but when all I see are comments ridiculing it, then it might be a clue to ditch it and start over.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    I haven't even seen the 'squiggly' t-shirt, but when all I see are comments ridiculing it, then it might be a clue to ditch it and start over.
    Here you go

Or not. A lot of folks like it, others don't, no different than any design.
    www.decl.org

Seriously IanO.
    The irony.

^^^ Thanks, alkali. Now having seen it, put me down on the 'nay' saide.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post

Here's another image from the high level line which is equally as disturbing....

Love the guy with the camera who's about to get smacked by the streetcar.

Something that makes you believe that these people have actually been to the places that they're drawing. I'm sure they have but the idea that the streetcar will just avoid all these people just wandering about here and on the bridge is beyond silly. "I've got a great idea. How about some seating less than a foot from where the streetcar runs?"

Why not just make a proposal for a canal down the middle of Jasper Ave? All we're missing is the dream to make it come true!

I heard the LRT's have really responsive steering so that shouldn't be a problem!

Here is the actual narrow tunnel

Here are more images of what they propose for the tunnel and route

Booth sitting on tracks. Nice tight turns as well.

The team behind the High Level Line €” a group of young professionals including architects, engineers, landscape architects, planners and marketing experts.
    https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...for-the-bridge
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 23-08-2018 at 10:24 AM.

Hey, it looks like a great early concept by some forward looking folks on how to better connect Downtown and Strathcona using an existing corridor!
    I bet over time, they will come up with some great, but realistic plans that support multi-modal transport (street car, biking, walking, etc.) and can hopefully gather support! Good on them for being a bit bold and pushing the city to add attractions that will improve the quality of life for residents (by improving existing assets) and may even garner additional tourism dollars leveraging a concept that has been proven as popular in other jurisdictions!

^bingo.
    www.decl.org

It's kinda of a non-starter if the province doesn't want to give up the right of way though... Have we heard anything about the province releasing this right of way, or would consider allowing any changes to their right of way?

As long as there is a will to have the conversation and put pressure on the province about the ROW from citizens, groups, the City... then it's never a non-starter.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Where there is a will, there is a way... I agree... but really need to work with the province first and foremost. If the province is steadfast on using and maintaining that right of way for the betterment of travel in the province in the future, a few vocal busybodies are going to find themselves with a great idea, but no way to implement it... A big waste of time/frustation/etc by not getting the province to buy into at least the possibility of giving up the right of way first.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    It's kinda of a non-starter if the province doesn't want to give up the right of way though... Have we heard anything about the province releasing this right of way, or would consider allowing any changes to their right of way?
    Unsure, but you are correct. Discussions will need to be had.
    www.decl.org

I think those discussions should be happening from the start... not once an idea has been selected and ready to go forth.... but... again, I'm just on my soapbox here on C2E, and not looking to further involve myself at this point. I do really like the idea of the upper deck being repurposed for most use that it is now, whatever that shall be. It's such a waste of a great resource right now, but again, need to start with the owner of the right of way to see if there is anything that could even be considered, before we start considering...

Hey, rather than a train running right beside pedestrians and having all those barriers and kill zones, what about a gondola overhead running the same route? Think of the views, lower cost, higher ridership and tourism potential.

Still can build the original idea of the line from the SFM to DT through EOSP.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 23-08-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Hey, rather than a train running right beside pedestrians and having all those barriers and kill zones, what about a gondola overhead running the same route? Think of the views, lower cost, higher ridership and tourism potential.

Still can build the original idea of the line from the SFM to DT through EOSP.
    There is already an existing street car, could be integrated with pedestrian traffic. Perhaps.
    There is also likely a place for a gondola and is being discussed.
    Maybe you should get involved with this group and see if you can be a part of the conversation and direction...I believe Ian already put the offer out there.

The HL streetcar is a summer tourist attraction. I highly doubt that anyone believes it is a viable mass transit or commuter option.

Well, if we're just tossing out ideas, no matter how impractical:

A London Eye scale ferris wheel on top. And bungie jumping. And a zip line. And fireworks every night. And pony rides. And a water slide into the river.

Whee, this is fun when you don't have to worry about practicality.

^ I LIKE IT!

No ponies, unicorns instead.

Can the Ferris Wheel and water slide be yellow too?
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 24-08-2018 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post

A London Eye scale ferris wheel on top. And bungie jumping. And a zip line. And fireworks every night. And pony rides. And a water slide into the river.

Yea multi modal use of the top of the high level is really impractical.
    Hyperbole guy detracts from the conversation again!

The HL streetcar is a summer tourist attraction. I highly doubt that anyone believes it is a viable mass transit or commuter option.
    Why does it have to be "mass transit?" What's wrong with year round service similar to what's occurring now?

High Level Streetcar http://www.edmonton-radial-railway.a.../schedule_hlb/

Round Trip Fares Age 6 and over: $6.00

Schedule & Fares
    Operating Season
    Daily Operation (May 18, 2018 - September 3, 2018

The High Level Bridge line operates daily from Friday, May 18 2018 to Labour Day.

Strathcona Carbarn Grandin LRT Station Jasper Plaza (Arrival) Jasper Plaza Grandin LRT Station Strathcona Carbarn (Arrival)
    11:00 AM 11:12 AM 11:14 AM 11:20 AM 11:22 AM 11:34 AM
    11:40 AM 11:52 AM 11:54 AM 12:00 PM 12:02 PM 12:14 PM
    12:20 PM 12:32 PM 12:34 PM 12:40 PM 12:42 PM 12:54 PM
    1:00 PM 1:12 PM 1:14 PM 1:20 PM 1:22 PM 1:34 PM
    1:40 PM 1:52 PM 1:54 PM 2:00 PM 2:02 PM 2:14 PM
    2:20 PM 2:32 PM 2:34 PM 2:40 PM 2:42 PM 2:54 PM
    3:00 PM 3:12 PM 3:14 PM 3:20 PM 3:22 PM 3:34 PM
    3:40 PM 3:52 PM 3:54 PM 4:00 PM 4:02 PM 4:14 PM

Fall Schedule (September 7, 2018 - October 7, 2018
    After Labour Day, we operate Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays only, up to and including Thanksgiving weekend.
    Final Day of the Season (October 8, 2018
    Thanksgiving Monday is the final day of the High Level Bridge Streetcar operating season.
    11 to 4 pm just does not cut it. Period

That is without dodging photographers, people in the tunnel and all the multimodal use that is suggested.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 24-08-2018 at 08:32 AM.

High Level Streetcar http://www.edmonton-radial-railway.a.../schedule_hlb/

Round Trip Fares Age 6 and over: $6.00

Schedule & Fares
    Operating Season
    Daily Operation (May 18, 2018 - September 3, 2018

The High Level Bridge line operates daily from Friday, May 18 2018 to Labour Day.

Strathcona Carbarn Grandin LRT Station Jasper Plaza (Arrival) Jasper Plaza Grandin LRT Station Strathcona Carbarn (Arrival)
    11:00 AM 11:12 AM 11:14 AM 11:20 AM 11:22 AM 11:34 AM
    11:40 AM 11:52 AM 11:54 AM 12:00 PM 12:02 PM 12:14 PM
    12:20 PM 12:32 PM 12:34 PM 12:40 PM 12:42 PM 12:54 PM
    1:00 PM 1:12 PM 1:14 PM 1:20 PM 1:22 PM 1:34 PM
    1:40 PM 1:52 PM 1:54 PM 2:00 PM 2:02 PM 2:14 PM
    2:20 PM 2:32 PM 2:34 PM 2:40 PM 2:42 PM 2:54 PM
    3:00 PM 3:12 PM 3:14 PM 3:20 PM 3:22 PM 3:34 PM
    3:40 PM 3:52 PM 3:54 PM 4:00 PM 4:02 PM 4:14 PM

Fall Schedule (September 7, 2018 - October 7, 2018
    After Labour Day, we operate Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays only, up to and including Thanksgiving weekend.
    Final Day of the Season (October 8, 2018
    Thanksgiving Monday is the final day of the High Level Bridge Streetcar operating season.
    11 to 4 pm just does not cut it. Period

That is without dodging photographers, people in the tunnel and all the multimodal use that is suggested.
    You are predicating that entire statement on the service remaining the same as it is today and the bridge structure remaining the same as it is today.
    If you want to be right, you can be right; if nothing is changed that what is being proposed will be impossible.

The whole point was to put out a lofty vision, conceptual, to start a discussion on what could be done, not what is going on today. No doubt, some of this is going to have to get tethered to reality over time. Maybe the tunnel will be an open art wall with designated access times to use it while the train is not being run...we already know the HL bridge cannot accommodate rapid (or pseudo rapid) mass transit at all...yes there are likely going to have to be barriers to stop people from jumping off...yes the upper deck might need expansion to accommodate the multi modal vision...does that preclude being able to have a useful for locals, attractive for outsiders amenity? In my opinion, it does not.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post

Yea multi modal use of the top of the high level is really impractical.
    Hyperbole guy detracts from the conversation again!
    And the totally impractical vision of the top of the bridge and the tunnel makes perfect sense to you?

Give us some realistic visions without yellow colored glasses and we will have an honest look at visionary proposals.

A diving board and live cam for all the jumpers. lol

My wife took that with her friend and her friend's young kids yesterday just for fun. It's the 2nd time they've gone this summer because the kids love the train.

I have enjoyed the trip several times myself as well

Give us some realistic visions without yellow colored glasses and we will have an honest look at visionary proposals.
    In my opinion a park that runs from Grant McEwan to Whyte Avenue along the existing rail corridor that incorporates a moderately expanded use of the existing trolley and opens up the top deck to pedestrian and cyclists is quite realistic. I am not hung up in the details of some conceptual early renders, I am focused on the larger vision. I believe that larger vision can be grasped and brought into reality and executed well without an abhorrent amount of dollars being spent (that wouldn't otherwise be required in rehabbing the high level for continued service).

If you want to keep getting hung up on those early renders and the t-shirt graphic design, that is totally your choice, but to me it will remain hyperbole and a distraction from the larger vision and goal.

I wish the team working on this all the best and hope they continue their efforts. One day I hope to use this amenity and share it with others both local and outside.

I agree in general with what you've said, but I can't help thinking that the "larger vision" would be better served with slightly more practical materials that would help the public to grasp the concept and get on board.
    There can only be one.

Exactly.

These whimsical, pie in the sky, "It will never actually look anything like this" drawings don't help their cause.

Give us something a little closer to reality and let's go from there.

And give us a logo that doesn't look like someone's hotdog didn't squirt mustard down the front of their shirt.

^^^ That second render with the freeway snaking away into the distance looks a bit like METS 2.0.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Exactly.

These whimsical, pie in the sky, "It will never actually look anything like this" drawings don't help their cause.

And give us a logo that doesn't look like someone's hotdog didn't squirt mustard down the front of their shirt.
    Give us, give us.
    That's quite the entitlement. What a group of volunteers has giving you more than you are entitled to.

If you want that, get involved.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

^^^^^Akeli, what is that? no description, no accreditation. strangely enough I'm on the booster team regarding this initiative. The only thing that stumps me is how do we pay for a replacement bridge for the HL...AND maintain the HL to the extent that it can support this idea for...how many years? 20? 40? 60? forever?

Exactly.

Give us, give us.
    That's quite the entitlement. What a group of volunteers has giving you more than you are entitled to.

They're putting this out to gauge reaction and to build enthusiasm. If they want to do either of these things then they should provide something a bit more realistic. They are they ones looking for approval. I'm simply telling them (and yes, I wrote to them) to provide something less fanciful and more realistic.

I'm quite tied up in other projects to join every pie in the sky proposal that comes along. But I'm part of the public that they're trying to sell on their vision. And I'm telling them that their vision needs focusing.

If I see a bad an on TV, I'm not expected to buy shares in the company and sit on the board to get them to change it.

Exactly.

Give us, give us.

They're putting this out to gauge reaction and to build enthusiasm. If they want to do either of these things then they should provide something a bit more realistic. They are they ones looking for approval. I'm simply telling them (and yes, I wrote to them) to provide something less fanciful and more realistic.

I'm quite tied up in other projects to join every pie in the sky proposal that comes along. But I'm part of the public that they're trying to sell on their vision. And I'm telling them that their vision needs focusing.

If I see a bad an on TV, I'm not expected to buy shares in the company and sit on the board to get them to change it.
    This isn't a company, it's a volunteer group and here you and co basically ridiculed them over nothing. It's pretty easy to point out what's wrong, it's a lot harder to bring suggestions to make it work.

It's a volunteer group that's going to be looking for tens of millions of dollars. They're not looking to set up a lemonade stand.

Many know that I brought forth an alternative to mass transit with personal rapid transit or PRT. I tried to portray realistic ideas with examples of existing and proposed ideas plus examples that have been successful for decades.

I was derided and ridiculed for my ideas and not one was yellow or showing fantasized concepts with kill zones and overlapping pedestrian and transit modes. I too was a volunteer.

I don't feel sorry for this group that can't put some realistic ideas to paper.

Many know that I brought forth an alternative to mass transit with personal rapid transit or PRT. I tried to portray realistic ideas with examples of existing and proposed ideas plus examples that have been successful for decades.

I was derided and ridiculed for my ideas and not one was yellow or showing fantasized concepts with kill zones and overlapping pedestrian and transit modes. I too was a volunteer.

Excellent, keep passing forward the exact things that you didn't like happening to you.

It's a volunteer group that's going to be looking for tens of millions of dollars. They're not looking to set up a lemonade stand.
    And by then, with positive contributions and involvement maybe it won't be tens of millions and it will a bold and realistic project. I understand when the ask for money comes, either public or private, being more highly critical if things are not realistic and the details make sense. That's a long way down the road.

Excellent, keep passing forward the exact things that you didn't like happening to you.
    You don't get it. I was one person presenting more realistic ideas than this group presenting fantasy. All we are asking is that they present something tangible and realistic. Then we might support it.

You more realistic? Hahaha 😂

Yes, more realistic.

Heathrow's privately built and free PRT system has been operating very successfully for years. It replaced a fleet of diesel buses with on demand driverless transit that waits for you rather than you waiting for transit.

I will repeat that we would all like to see a more realistic rendering of a proposal.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 25-08-2018 at 07:51 AM.

The uninformed person will have no idea what that yellow line is on the t-shirt and will think it looks ugly.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by buildings View Post
    ^^^^^Akeli, what is that? no description, no accreditation. strangely enough I'm on the booster team regarding this initiative. The only thing that stumps me is how do we pay for a replacement bridge for the HL...AND maintain the HL to the extent that it can support this idea for...how many years? 20? 40? 60? forever?
    I was just posting a cool concept I saw. It's for Washington but I really like the idea of making the bridge into a park over the water. I doubt Edmonton could afford such a structure, but maybe a downsized one similar would be pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    The uninformed person will have no idea what that yellow line is on the t-shirt and will think it looks ugly.
    Even an informed person will think that yellow line on the t-shirt looks ugly.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 27-08-2018 at 11:09 AM.

That's a interesting looking mustard stain.

Selfie by a future candidate for Ward 6 councilor?
    ... gobsmacked

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12