Thread: Massive dangerous forest fires

Default Massive dangerous forest fires

This radio interview is absolutely fascinating. I hope anyone that listens to it posts on it to get others to take a few minutes to hear it too.

Note: Back in the 1990s I heard an Alberta wildfire expert talking about the huge risks to the Banff townsite. Back then Canmore was also mentioned. The discussion on that alone is well worth making a small effort to catch this interview. Basically a case of a whole lot of people potentially (or unavoidably and with great certainty: tragically) getting trapped within minutes.

Here’s the name of the book:

Fire Storm: How Wildfire will Shape our Future

Expect more massive wildfires ahead for Canada, warns environment author
    Wednesday November 22, 2017

“That fire is a foreshadowing of things to come, according to Edward Struzik.

The author of Fire Storm: How Wildfire will Shape our Future says it was a miracle so many survived the inferno.

CBC News: Firestorm: Fort McMurray wildfire is a warning, book claims

"The RCMP, the emergency response people, all admitted they expected thousands of people to be dead. The RCMP was already trying to figure out where they were going to have the morgue," Struzik tells The Current's Anna Maria Tremonti.”

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/t...thor-1.4412533

-
    Last edited by KC; 22-11-2017 at 10:48 AM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Watching all the fires on the news hits home to me. I spent two years in California. Chico for a time and Ventura for longer. So familiar with the area. Thousand Oaks, Malibu, Oxnard, Ventura County. Spent time all over California but these two areas especially. Chico is right next to Paradise which was 25,000 population and totally burned. 6,500 buildings. Jesus. Been all around the hills that are burning from TO to the beach. Unbelievable seeing this happen.

I drove all those canyons many times, Woolsey was my first. Real trippy with narrow broken pavement and no guard-rails. Even then, 5 years ago, you could feel how crackling dry everything was, and knowing that at any moment rocks could fall and really spoil the day. I have friends just outside the evac zone and they're wearing masks to go outside and wondering when they'll have to leave. Spectacular homes with spectacular views that I coveted every time I went out, knowing how precarious their positions were.. I've been glued to whatever TV coverage I can get, and glued to my phne to hear from them.

What hasn't been mentioned yet is that Woolsey canyon had a major Rocketdyne test area and is highly polluted with all kinds of nasties, now released into the atmosphere with the burning.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Closer to home, I'm wondering if valley around Jasper is going to go up in the next few years. Pine beetles have killed masses of the trees leaving large chunks of the valley red. I know they've been doing a lot of work around the townsite to try and protect it as well setting evac plans for the locals.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Can we move this thread to the forefront please

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    I drove all those canyons many times, Woolsey was my first. Real trippy with narrow broken pavement and no guard-rails. Even then, 5 years ago, you could feel how crackling dry everything was, and knowing that at any moment rocks could fall and really spoil the day. I have friends just outside the evac zone and they're wearing masks to go outside and wondering when they'll have to leave. Spectacular homes with spectacular views that I coveted every time I went out, knowing how precarious their positions were.. I've been glued to whatever TV coverage I can get, and glued to my phne to hear from them.

What hasn't been mentioned yet is that Woolsey canyon had a major Rocketdyne test area and is highly polluted with all kinds of nasties, now released into the atmosphere with the burning.
    I agree. I have traveled in both the Woolsey and Paradise areas as well. The canyons are narrow and the amount of tinder dry brush is amazing. Just try and walk through the area off the trail is nearly impossible. It reminds me of the road behind Kelowna up to the Hydraulic Lakes, which I drove just a few day before the big fire there. A week later, several of the homes I visited, were consumed by the flames.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Some amazing rescue work at the Woolsey fire:

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"