Thread: How nixing a downtown freeway 50 years ago made Vancouver one of the world's most liveable cities

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default How nixing a downtown freeway 50 years ago made Vancouver one of the world's most liveable cities

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Much similar story here with our central freeway system getting nixed. (METS)

C2E Long Term Contributor

The freeway was part of it, but I would say that it is quite insignificant in that case relative to other impacts/offerings/natural blessings.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

"Most livable cities"... classic.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    The freeway was part of it, but I would say that it is quite insignificant in that case relative to other impacts/offerings/natural blessings.
    Highly agreed. Vancouver, in itself apart from the Metro Area, is largely SF homes (though they are multi-suite in their demised interiors). The gem many see is the old grid system making for easy planning and transit, views, weather, good planning by the City, investment in transit (due to geography and no city freeway/Expo), and lastly geography and the closure of many industrial lands downtown/Expo.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The parallels with Vancouver are striking.

There is even an old thread on C2E about METS:

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...-Freeway-Plans

I think that pretty much goes for every Canadian city with some extremely limited exceptions, and only in comparison with American cities that did go for the big downtown freeways.

The only difference is that in Vancouver (and Toronto) a larger share of the credit for cancelling the proposed freeway(s) goes to activist citizens rather than to fiscal realities and second thoughts in government.
    There can only be one.

^Edmonton too, for a large part - though I've heard the main uproar was over the ravines being dug up.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Yep, McKinnon Ravine, you can see the clear cut to this day before citizens got it nixed.

The reason 91 Street is so wide through Millwoods? That was to be the southern end of a freeway down Mill Creek Ravine ...

and on and on.
    ... gobsmacked