Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canada's 1st LGBTQ-Only Gym

Is this gym a niche gym in other ways than the specific membership?

Because while I don't doubt that there are unfriendly gyms out there this is a major city with probably hundreds of gyms, many of which are commercial, mass-market gyms that are very open, plus a bunch of city-run facilities. At a big gym or a city rec centre nobody even looks at anyone else, everyone would get the same gym experience as anyone else. It's really hard to believe that there's no gym out there where people can be free from harassment.

On the other hand, for a lot of people the gym experience is their social club, where they go to be with people who are also interested in their sport subculture. I can see that some people would value a gym catering to their group, whether racial, ethnic or sexual. There's gyms with all sorts of identities out there I don't see how it could possibly be a problem that there's a gay one.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    Is this gym a niche gym in other ways than the specific membership?

Because while I don't doubt that there are unfriendly gyms out there this is a major city with probably hundreds of gyms, many of which are commercial, mass-market gyms that are very open, plus a bunch of city-run facilities. At a big gym or a city rec centre nobody even looks at anyone else, everyone would get the same gym experience as anyone else. It's really hard to believe that there's no gym out there where people can be free from harassment.

On the other hand, for a lot of people the gym experience is their social club, where they go to be with people who are also interested in their sport subculture. I can see that some people would value a gym catering to their group, whether racial, ethnic or sexual. There's gyms with all sorts of identities out there I don't see how it could possibly be a problem that there's a gay one.
    I don't have a problem with it either. I just find it funny that some people would have a problem if a gym identified itself as for straight heterosexual men. At the end of the day, it probably won't happen until a Muslim only gym sets up someday, but its amusing how its supposedly discriminatory if its hetrosexual men wanting to hang out together, but its not discriminatory if its gay people wanting to hang out together.

In the gym world aren't there plenty of defacto hetero-only places? I kinda get that impression from the few MMA people I know...

Maybe in a sphere where straight men were decidedly non-dominant. How about a men's only cupcake bakery? Hetero only Dance salon?
    Male Nurses Association? I apologise for the stereotyping, but I don't see it.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    So how many bathrooms would there be in this club, how many sex distinctions made on that basis, how many members and how do they assess membership.

or is the bathroom situation considered unisex.

Really would have no idea what the arrangements would be.

Next, if somebody stated they were straight, and were refused admission wouldn't that be hypocritical?

Or is this furthering acceptance and live and let live through enforced segregation? As mentioned that is alltime weird.
    This is not enforced segregation by the LGBTQ community. It's something they are doing under their own steam until the rest of society has caught up with them. Think of a long time back when people would not shake hands with gays, aids patients or even further back when people thought cancer was catching and would burn the clothes of people who had died of cancer. We all know none of those things were true of those people but they were victimized anyway. We have the same thing going on in society for LGBTQ people being marginalized. Now I know it's not you who does that but unfortunately there are a lot of people who do. I have a good friend who had breast cancer and before she had her reconstructive surgery did not feel comfortable in open changing rooms. Now I'm sure a person would have to be super cruel to laugh, point or make gestures at her but she did not want to take that chance. Not one of her friends chastised her for it. I'm also sure there are women out there who feel perfectly fine after breast removal surgery to change out in an open room. I get the impression on this issue you want to save the LGBTQ community from themselves. Let them have their gym, plenty more for the rest of society to go to. When the rest of society is more excepting and less judgemental maybe then LGBTQ gyms will be a thing of the past.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    In the gym world aren't there plenty of defacto hetero-only places? I kinda get that impression from the few MMA people I know...

Maybe in a sphere where straight men were decidedly non-dominant. How about a men's only cupcake bakery? Hetero only Dance salon?
    Male Nurses Association? I apologise for the stereotyping, but I don't see it.
    You dont see the double standard where this gym will only allow lgbtq community but any gym denying a gay person would be In serious hot water.

Are you okay with businesses denying a gay person service? I think I know that answer... so how is a gym denying those who aren't gay acceptable?

This notion gyms arent safe so we should let this double standard go is ridiculous.

Why would a hetro sexual person want to go to a LGBTQ club when they have lots of others in the city to pick from. Some hetro sexual fool wanting to make a statement like the fool who wore the face covering at her Canadian Citizenship ceremony. She had 364 days and 23 hrs. and 45 minutes of the year to wear the face covering but no she had to make a scene and insist on wearing it when swearing in. It would be the same as a hetro sexual making an issue out of going to a LGBTQ gym when they can go else where. Of course it's a look at me, look at me society. People itching for their 15 minutes of fame no matter what the cause is. If hetro sexuals want to pick a battle this is not the one to pick. If they want to pick a battle pick one that better serves their cause and not one that bullies people that just want to feel comfortable and secure while working out.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Gemini are you reading anything you write? If you said yes its a double standard and its stupid but who cares... id say ok. But your defending discrimination based on the fact heterosexuals can go anywhere.

If the gym didnt explicitly say they would deny services to heterosexuals no one would think twice about it but the business specifically has a policy to deny services to anyone whos not lgbtq.

The fact there are other places one can visit could be used by any business when they kick out a gay person from their business. This is what your advocating for by saying its okay to discriminate based off someones sexuality.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by gwill211 View Post
    You dont see the double standard where this gym will only allow lgbtq community but any gym denying a gay person would be In serious hot water.

Are you okay with businesses denying a gay person service? I think I know that answer... so how is a gym denying those who aren't gay acceptable?

This notion gyms arent safe so we should let this double standard go is ridiculous.
    There are lots of gyms that are essentially denying service to LGBTQ people based on their design, staff and policies. And none of them are in hot water.

Gemini are you reading anything you write? If you said yes its a double standard and its stupid but who cares... id say ok. But your defending discrimination based on the fact heterosexuals can go anywhere.

If the gym didnt explicitly say they would deny services to heterosexuals no one would think twice about it but the business specifically has a policy to deny services to anyone whos not lgbtq.

The fact there are other places one can visit could be used by any business when they kick out a gay person from their business. This is what your advocating for by saying its okay to discriminate based off someones sexuality.
    I never did say if it was or was not a double standard. You're the one saying that. I'm not sure if this gym is listed a private gym or not. A lawyer would have to step in and answer if the LGBTQ community can stop hetro's from working out there. Like I said in my last post about picking battles for equality. Is this really a cause hetro-sexuals want to champion. Trying to barge their way into a LGBTQ gym when there are ample more they can choose from. It smacks of 'let's be churlish because we can'.
    By the way the gym in question is called Queerflex. The operator Kyle Fairall received a Human Rights award for opening it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...gbtq-1.4441600

Your so-called double standard is based on a false equivalency, rendering it invalid.

Intent. Homophobes denying service to gay people because they believe gay people are wrong/evil/icky/whatever is different than creating an inclusive safe space comprised of members of a given community, free from those that are most likely to victimize them.

What needs to go is the conservative notion that LGBTQ+-only environments are heterophobic in the same way that anti-LGBTQ+ are. It's a ridiculous, fallacious notion that feeds into crap right-wing nutter theories like "reverse discrimination".
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

The intent of the gym is clear. If your a man who likes a woman you will be removed. This is okay for some of you but if a business removes a man who dates a man that's not okay.

The intent of the gym is clear.
    Absolutely: to provide a safe & welcoming environment to the LGBTQ+ community. That's it, that's all.

If your a man who likes a woman you will be removed.
    Someone doesn't know what the B stands for in LGBTQ+ it seems...

This is okay for some of you but if a business removes a man who dates a man that's not okay.
    Reverse discrimination isn't a thing (no matter how much social conservatives believe it is), unlike actual discrimination which is something almost every LGBTQ+ experiences at some point.

The more you post, the more you show how fundamentally flawed your understanding of the issue truly is.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

The intent of the gym is clear. If your a man who likes a woman you will be removed. This is okay for some of you but if a business removes a man who dates a man that's not okay.
    I am at a loss about your comment about a "man who likes a woman you will be removed". Did Queerflex state that?. You could have a women transitioning to a man. When the transition is complete he may still like women/men or both. Or reverse that scenario to a man transitioning to a women and that person now living life as a women might prefer women/men or both. There are also people that label themselves as gender fluid. It's also interesting that those of us who are not LGBTQ think that we know how they feel or should tell them how to feel or that they don't know what they are doing. If some partnerships/romances are formed through the Queerflex gym then what's the problem?. Not like you can't meet someone at a regular gym and have a date with them. In the many scenarios of human sexuality I'm betting the LGBTQ community have a better handle on it than any of us. There human, don't underestimate them.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Reverse discrimination isn't a thing (no matter how much social conservatives believe it is), unlike actual discrimination which is something almost every LGBTQ+ experiences at some point.
    Discrimination is discrimination, no amount of PC psycho babble changes that. It doesn't matter if its a white person saying black people suck, or black people saying white people suck, or gay people saying heterosexual people suck, or heterosexual people saying gay people suck. Its all hate, its all discrimination. One day maybe we will recognize that people of all gender have equal rights, not special rights for some and not others depending on which country you are in or what religion you believe in or latest feminist thought. If we think its fine for some genders or orientations or religions to exclude others, then that has to be applied equally, anything else is just regressive nonsense.
    Last edited by moahunter; 05-01-2018 at 03:23 PM.

^Moa one day we might all be treated equal. That day is no where near at the moment. LGBTQ feel marginalized in a lot of areas. Unless you feel in someway for some reason the same as them why does it bother you. It's not hurting you in any way.

^I don't mind the gym, it makes sense to me that gay people might want to have an easy place to hook, or just socialize with own "club", while they are working out. I just find it ridiculous that people would feel offended if heterosexual men were to do something similar (albeit, it wouldn't be to hook up).

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Discrimination is discrimination, no amount of PC psycho babble changes that. It doesn't matter if its a white person saying black people suck, or black people saying white people suck, or gay people saying heterosexual people suck, or heterosexual people saying gay people suck. Its all hate, its all discrimination. One day maybe we will recognize that people of all gender have equal rights, not special rights for some and not others depending on which country you are in or what religion you believe in or latest feminist thought.
    None of what your describing is what is happening.

If we think its fine for some genders or orientations or religions to exclude others, then that has to be applied equally, anything else is just regressive nonsense
    Several genders and orientations are being excluded by traditional gyms that are essentially denying service to LGBTQ people based on their design, staff and policies. It's already not equal. Actually maybe it's not equitable.

Maybe this image will help:

Most of you say we should do the first image until we get to the last. That's simply not happening at an acceptable pace, and is not an acceptable situation. The Queerflex LGBTQ gym is the second image.

^I don't mind the gym, it makes sense to me that gay people might want to have an easy place to hook, or just socialize with own "club", while they are working out. I just find it ridiculous that people would feel offended if heterosexual men were to do something similar (albeit, it wouldn't be to hook up).
    What are you trying to say here?. Who would be offended if a heterosexual rustled up an after gym date?. Who would be offended if a LGBTQ person rustled up an after gym date?

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    What are you trying to say here?. Who would be offended if a heterosexual rustled up an after gym date?. Who would be offended if a LGBTQ person rustled up an after gym date?
    By definition if the club was for hetrosexual men only, its unlikely they are going to be hooking up for sex with each other. That's actually why some want that - they want a gym to go to where you don't have to worry about how you look for the sex you find attractive. Heterosexual women have that with contours, there is no male equivalent.

^....................and there are not other places hetrosexual men can't find dates?.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^^^^

thank you for the perspective on what’s really being discussed here.

building support is a lot more productive than using the same effort to reinforce a fence.

and anyone that still thinks being able to walk up to the fence “like everyone else” is enough is just refusing to accept the reality faced by those different than they are, a position almost invariably taken only by those who don’t realize there is even a problem with the fence because they’re able to look right over it.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

^....................and there are not other places hetrosexual men can't find dates?.
    There aren't places where men can work out just with other men, other than this new gym perhaps. It seems you have to be of a certain sexual orientation to be allowed that, it wouldn't surprise me if some hetrosexual men join it for that reason.

There aren't places where men can work out just with other men, other than this new gym perhaps. It seems you have to be of a certain sexual orientation to be allowed that, it wouldn't surprise me if some hetrosexual men join it for that reason.
    I'm not sure what gym you are going to, but most gyms open to the public have a lot more men than women there. I think the mix I've noticed often averages 75% men, 25% women - probably even more skewed in the free weights area. I suppose if that 25% or so somehow messes up your work out, I suppose you could seriously consider the LGBTQ gym. However a warning, that stocky guy you see there with a short hair cut, might not be a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post

Most of you say we should do the first image until we get to the last. That's simply not happening at an acceptable pace, and is not an acceptable situation. The Queerflex LGBTQ gym is the second image.
    This.

Thanks so much for posting the image, perhaps the pictures will help the concept sink in where words have repeatedly failed.

Well if hetrosexual men want to just work out with other hetrosexual men why have non of them opened a gym?. Curves is a women's gym, Spa Lady too.
    Their argument could be that a precedent has been set then stand back and see what the courts say.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I'm not sure what gym you are going to, but most gyms open to the public have a lot more men than women there. I think the mix I've noticed often averages 75% men, 25% women - probably even more skewed in the free weights area. I suppose if that 25% or so somehow messes up your work out, I suppose you could seriously consider the LGBTQ gym. However a warning, that stocky guy you see there with a short hair cut, might not be a guy.
    moa's mention of dates is a strange diversion on the topic. People go to gyms to get fit. It's not Plenty o Fish, Tinder etc. Getting a date would be a bonus.

^its not really Gemini - have a look at what people wear to the gym - a lot of it is sexual posturing. Some people don't want that, they just want to get fit, I think there is a role for Gender exclusive gyms for that reason, and it shouldn't be just female gyms, or gay gyms, there should be allowed to be, some male gyms as well.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^its not really Gemini - have a look at what people wear to the gym - a lot of it is sexual posturing. Some people don't want that, they just want to get fit, I think there is a role for Gender exclusive gyms for that reason, and it shouldn't be just female gyms, or gay gyms, there should be allowed to be, some male gyms as well.
    yes, because this thread is really just about the poor discriminated against male gym goer after all isn't it...

what is this compulsion you have to prove you don't know what you're posting about almost irrespective of the real thread topic?

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    what is this compulsion you have to prove you don't know what you're posting about almost irrespective of the real thread topic?
    Gold.

I think the discussion from the outset has been, is it ok for one gender to have a gym exclusive to themselves. I think it is, but unlike you perhaps, I don't care which gender or sexual orientation it is, I don't think some deserve special treatment versus others.

By definition if the club was for hetrosexual men only, its unlikely they are going to be hooking up for sex with each other. That's actually why some want that - they want a gym to go to where you don't have to worry about how you look for the sex you find attractive. Heterosexual women have that with contours, there is no male equivalent.
    moa, if hetrosexual males don't want to look all sweaty, hot and bothered, disarrayed, red faced, contorted or just generally not at their best in front of female gym patrons then maybe they should just stay at home because most of the manual labourers I've seen look just like that.
    Last edited by Gemini; 05-01-2018 at 06:05 PM.

Crap, I guess even the picture went over your head.

Back to square one I guess...

moa, a hetrosexual males don't want to look all sweaty, hot and bothered, disarrayed, red faced, contorted or just generally not at their best in front of female gym patrons then maybe they should just stay at home because most of the manual labourers I've seen look just like that.
    Well I could say the say thing about women who go to Contours rather than a gender inclusive gym, maybe they should stay home too?

I think the discussion from the outset has been, is it ok for one gender to have a gym exclusive to themselves. I think it is, but unlike you perhaps, I don't care which gender or sexual orientation it is, I don't think some deserve special treatment versus others.
    Well Queerflex isn't really getting any special treatment because the community is supporting it themselves. Not like a whooping great grant just got dumped in their lap.

^don't disagree.

Well I could say the say thing about women who go to Contours rather than a gender inclusive gym, maybe they should stay home too?
    Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing possible on the topic...

^don't disagree.
    So what's the problem apart from the blood, sweat and tears you have been alluding to from the hetrosexual males.

moa, a hetrosexual males don't want to look all sweaty, hot and bothered, disarrayed, red faced, contorted or just generally not at their best in front of female gym patrons then maybe they should just stay at home because most of the manual labourers I've seen look just like that.
    At this stage I don't think you should be speaking for anybody. Your floundering badly on your hetrosexual male equivalents and you will only get into deeper water speaking for the hetrosexual females. If you only go to the gym to check out the ladies and look perfectly groomed while doing so that's fine, but don't think that is why the rest of the hetrosexual guys are there. Most of them are there to get fit or maintain their fitness. Seeing the chicks is a bonus. I have visions of you preening yourself for hours in front of the mirror before you even step through the gym doors. Vanity before fitness must be your motto.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

At this stage I don't think you should be speaking for anybody. Your floundering badly on your hetrosexual male equivalents and you will only get into deeper water speaking for the hetrosexual females. If you only go to the gym to check out the ladies and look perfectly groomed while doing so that's fine, but don't think that is why the rest of the hetrosexual guys are there. Most of them are there to get fit or maintain their fitness. Seeing the chicks is a bonus. I have visions of you preening yourself for hours in front of the mirror before you even step through the gym doors. Vanity before fitness must be your motto.
    vanity before fitness? not necessarily.

i think what's repeatedly demonstrated is vanity before all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12