Thread: Private Messages

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Default Private Messages

All,

If someone asks you to not contact them via a private message, please don't. Continuing to do is harassment.

I will hand out 5 day suspensions for people who violate this request from users.

Thanks.
    Ow

Is this actually going to be enforced? I keep reporting unwanted PMs to no avail.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

I require a time stamped PM replying to the person you wish to stop sending you notes. This can be accomplished by cc'ing me either on a reply PM, or on an original PM to the user stating your desire to not be contacted.

Without this, I have no evidence of the original request being made to the user.

Thanks
    Ow

All - if you look at your forum settings, you can choose who can send you PMs...

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that, Matt. I've shut off my PMs to prevent the harassment from continuing.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Top_Dawg still giggles about stern PMs from DBA.

Be still his heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    All - if you look at your forum settings, you can choose who can send you PMs...

Hope this helps.
    Seems like an excellent way to save admin a lot of hassle.

Is this still a thing? I've asked a certain individual to stop PMing me, and they are persisting. I still wish to receive PMs from others, so I'm not about to turn off the PM feature.

There is tbat saying Med... sticks an stones. If you see tneir names.dont read it and erase it. Done.
    To the mass: if people dont want personal messaging from you, you dont do it. Dont be obssess and dont be desperate.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

It can take a bit for Admin to take any action.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    There is tbat saying Med... sticks an stones. If you see tneir names.dont read it and erase it. Done.
    To the mass: if people dont want personal messaging from you, you dont do it. Dont be obssess and dont be desperate.
    Or the harassers can simply respect the wishes of the other party & cease their harassment?

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Or the harassers can simply respect the wishes of the other party & cease their harassment?
    Heh. What you said there...
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Childest behavior has no place anywhere for adults in the forum or behind the forum. We all make mistakes in the heat of the moment, but, if we are alduts, we must act in accordance to that standard. Why? We have lived enough years to know better.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Childest behavior has no place anywhere for adults in the forum or behind the forum. We all make mistakes in the heat of the moment, but, if we are alduts, we must act in accordance to that standard. Why? We have lived enough years to know better.
    Not everyone grows up, not everyone is raised to the same standards of behaviour, not everyone accepts the standard social norms of behaviour, not everyone is capable of behaving according to those norms. So tolerance is required. Tolerance is what our modern society expects of those capable of understanding that not everyone is ’average’ and everyone’s differences are just that.

I concur to some point. Life experience is also valuable if you accept it. We have brains don't we? That brain must be use if we want to progress.

My observation about people:

1. Everyone truly thinks of themselves as the hero/anti-hero of their own story (i.e. what others perceive as rudeness, they themselves perceive as bluntness)
    2. Most people desire the last word

I don't believe that is true. To be blunt, I am the last person who wants to get the last word in...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.