Thread: Late letter days

Default Late letter days

After a heavy snowfall, the City would request that people with surnames starting with the letters of the day (via rotation), delay leaving home or work for one hour if their travel will normally take them through certain zones in the city. Totally voluntary with the knowledge that otherwise they are likely to be part of the problem and will cause a 1/4 or 1/2 the population to be 1 hour late anyways.

^It's not April Fools Day yet. So they want people with the surname initials M, T, W, F, S, to inconvenience themselves so the traffic might flow better. Geez, what do they smoke down in City Hall. Anyway, where is this web-site source for this or is something you dreamed up.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

I dreamed it up but you’re right it would never be accepted. Asking everyone with a last name from say A - L to not exacerbate the grid lock problem wouldn’t be accepted by many if any. Then the next time when it was M - Z’s turn they’d all curse the idiocy of them coming out and not doing something like leaving 1/2 hour later for the greater good, and their own good. (Even if in the end half the drivers would avoid a 1/2 hr going nowhere in their cars.)
    Last edited by KC; 29-01-2018 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Typo

You cant even get people to not park on the roads during a parking ban to allow easy clearing of the roads, this idea above would never work for a variety of reasons

Yeah I know. Myself, I wouldn’t hesitate at the chance to do nothing for 20 min, 1/2 hr, hr to avoid wasting my time and gas crawling along but I know businesses and a whole lot of people would complain.

On larger snow days, my work encourages those that can work from home, to work from home. Friday was one of those days.

Let's not forget - 25 cm of snow+cold+wind would have the army called in in Toronto.

We keep comparing out snow removal to larger, warmer centers - where the snow melts within a few days of falling.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    On larger snow days, my work encourages those that can work from home, to work from home. Friday was one of those days.

Let's not forget - 25 cm of snow+cold+wind would have the army called in in Toronto.

We keep comparing out snow removal to larger, warmer centers - where the snow melts within a few days of falling.
    Not sure where you live that got 25 cm of snow. Here in Edmonton on Friday we received about 8 cm of snow; you can check the Environment Canada website to confirm.

Since records started being kept at the international airport in 1961 Edmonton has received 25 cm of snow in a single day on only 4 occasions. The most recent of those was a generation ago: April 6, 1991. Toronto, by comparison, has had six such days including two since 2001.

Edmonton is not a snowy city.

Edmonton is a very spread out city

It may snow 8 cm at the city center airport, and 30 cm closer to fort saskatchewan (http://www.environment.alberta.ca/fo...aps/weekly.pdf) (http://legacyweb.theweathernetwork.c...ca.jpg?cb=1315)

My sidewalk certain had close to 20 cm of snow than 8 cm.

in Edmonton, it snows and drifts from Mid october to mid april

In Toronto, it may snow in January, and usually melts a few days later.
    Last edited by Medwards; 29-01-2018 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post

Edmonton is a very spread out city

It may snow 8 cm at the city center airport, and 30 cm closer to fort saskatchewan (http://www.environment.alberta.ca/fo...aps/weekly.pdf) (http://legacyweb.theweathernetwork.c...ca.jpg?cb=1315)

My sidewalk certain had close to 20 cm of snow than 8 cm.

in Edmonton, it snows and drifts from Mid october to mid april

In Toronto, it may snow in January, and usually melts a few days later.
    Our snow falls also tends to vary greatly, as to when they happen in the year and some years we get very little snow at all, which probably makes it harder to plan for. Eastern cities like Ottawa, Montreal and Halifax expect and get several heavy snow falls every year which sometimes melt shortly after, sometimes not. What we get usually stays until spring.

its almost like two different climates! almost like comparing apples to oranges... almost.