Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ice District for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Give it a rest man.
    Great contribution. Excellent summary of this thread. Your viewpoints are ones that I hadn't thought about before. Thanks for such an enlightening post.

Quote Originally Posted by Whattagame View Post
    As for the big miss, yeah - so far so good, but this was pitched as a district, and not a building. If you're aiming that high, and using public funds for part of it, the expectation is a complete district. The vision of such a district clearly includes Tower B in the eyes of the public who are now financially attached to the project. There are other minor misses that we've already seen, but those are nitpicky things. An entire tower missing, leaving a gaping hole across a third of the focal square is conspicuous by its absence. And I said nothing about a (reasonable) delay. I'm talking about if that site remains vacant for a decade or never rises at all.
    It’s a success in the sense of profit maximization. The oil price dip affected the economics and not having built a second tower could quite easily be spun as good management which avoided financially impairing the project. Over-promising, it seems is standard practice in this industry so any ‘incompleteness’ will be portrayed as adding future optionality.

Any failure occurred at the approval stage and with public perceptions that any vision presented would actually come to fruition. Just look at all the other projects in Edmonton over the decades that fell well short of the original vision. It’s a reoccurring theme and everyone should appropriately discount expectations if they wish to more accurately envision a final product.

From a taxpayer perspective a missing tower may be a net positive. In a slow economy, a new tower might have only served to poach tenants from otherwise sound, taxpaying properties in other parts of the downtown or the city. I don’t know what the net impact might be in terms if taxes or of market values of such properties.
    Last edited by KC; 20-02-2018 at 09:14 AM.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards
    Am I one of the few people that sees both sides of the argument? I flip flop on this daily. Yes, I think Katz got a great deal from the city, but I also believe the city got a decent return on its investment, and will continue to do so for a few more decades.

Nope, I feel much the same way, although I don't flip flop back and forth. To me the entire thing is a win-win, although perhaps Katz's win was bigger than it could/should have been.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Some on here would be more happy with this!!!!!

arena4.jpg by BLACK STAR III, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards
    Am I one of the few people that sees both sides of the argument? I flip flop on this daily. Yes, I think Katz got a great deal from the city, but I also believe the city got a decent return on its investment, and will continue to do so for a few more decades.

Nope, I feel much the same way, although I don't flip flop back and forth. To me the entire thing is a win-win, although perhaps Katz's win was bigger than it could/should have been.
    While I grew up in Edmonton, I wasn't living here during the arena negotiations but followed it. Initially, I didn't want the citizens of my hometown being taken advantage of. However, on the other side, I was frustrated by the decades long, lack of development within the downtown core. Looking at how the city has progressed in the last five years, I must say I'm very pleased that the deal was made with Katz. Let's look at the gains in development since the deal in which I doubt would have happened without it.
    1)Rogers Place
    2) JW Marriott and Residences
    3) Stantec and Residences
    4) Ultima
    5) Encore
    6) Fox 1& 2
    7) Scotia Reclad
    WSP reclad
    9) Tower B (heard a rework of podium )
    10) Phase 2!?
    That's a lot of gain there. ICE district gave other developers confidence in the core or made existing structures improve to compete. Without Katz and Mandel's vision, downtown would of been the same old same old... mediocre.
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post
    I would like to echo IanO's optimism for Downtown office rates.
    It's amazing how optimistic he is when it suits his purpose, yet so very doom & gloom when THAT suits him as well. Evidently Downtown is booming, but DynaCare moving 700 people out is a death knell...

It's like Schroedinger's Cat, but for self-serving urbanist bullcrap.
    what have you got against schroedinger's cat?

that cat had to be (has to be?, i'm never quite sure ) the most carefree pet one could imagine.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by cpnfantstk View Post

1)Rogers Place
    4) Ultima
    5) Encore
    6) Fox 1& 2
    7) Scotia Reclad
    WSP reclad
    10) Phase 2!?
    That's a lot of gain there. ICE district gave other developers confidence in the core or made existing structures improve to compete. Without Katz and Mandel's vision, downtown would of been the same old same old... mediocre.
    1) This wouldn't have happened with out Katz
    2) Stantec has been considering a tower in our city for a long time. Perhaps they even delayed one knowing that Katz arena district was were they wanted to be, if the arena was built. Stantec was consoldating to a new tower regardless of arena. The residences on top? Might not have happened with out the arena
    4, 5, 6 - still would happen new arena or not.
    7+ 8 ) still would happen. Has nothing to do with the arena
    9 + 10 ) should still happen, but wouldn't without the arena

I'll add 11) Edmonton Tower - Still would happened, arena or not. Katz basically strong-armed his way to making sure this tower was part of the arena district.

Trying to credit Katz and the new arena with all the above is a knock against our downtown. A lot of that would've still happened with or without the arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Star View Post

If Katz wasn't holding this land, someone else might have done something with it. Lets not forget, the arena was not the first proposal for these lands.

I don't have a real issue with the ice district, or Katz, or Mandel, or the improvements to downtown related to the arena, but lets get back to reality here and stop jerking off Katz. He's not quite the savior you all think he is. Downtown was already well on its way to re-vitalization with or without the arena.

Some of this stuff might have went ahead sooner, instead of waiting a decade or more for the city to make a decision.

^ What did we have for development for 30 years before the arena and ICE district ? Canada Place, Commerce Place, Icon, Riverwinds,Epcor.. That's it for 30 years 1983- 2013. After arena deal, you see the list I made. I don't think that's a coincidence.
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

Correlation isn't causation.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post

Yes, Katz is profits from this. That was never in question was it?

Yes, Katz has the money to build on his own in its entirety, but should he have? I see many benefits that the city gets from the arena, from the boosts to downtown.

Would those condo towers and office towers and new hotels be built? Stantec for sure, yes, Marriott? No way. Edmonton Tower? Yes, for sure, that's been on the books since the early 00's

in the end, the discussion on the arena funding is over. It's a done deal. It's time to make the best out of the situation.

Am I surprised to see Stantec and Edmonton tower up for sale already? Absolutely not.

Does that mean Katz is done investing in Edmonton? Hardly.
    I can see both sides but that doesn't mean that I'm happy about it. As far as economic impact, I'd argue that WEM has had a bigger impact that the ICE district has or will. Looking at Ticketmaster, most of the events at the arena are Oilers games along with the occasional concert. Pretty much the same as we were getting with the old coliseum. No net gain there except for ticket price increases and a few people eating downtown before a game. Strangely, people also went out to eat when the Oilers played at Northlands so the arena is basically moving economic impact from one part of town to another.

I'm just not happy that sports teams get these sweetheart deals for their arenas when it's been shown that the actual economic impact, like other major sporting events, is minimal.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post

Yes, Katz has the money to build on his own in its entirety, but should he have? I see many benefits that the city gets from the arena, from the boosts to downtown.

Would those condo towers and office towers and new hotels be built? Stantec for sure, yes, Marriott? No way. Edmonton Tower? Yes, for sure, that's been on the books since the early 00's

in the end, the discussion on the arena funding is over. It's a done deal. It's time to make the best out of the situation.

Am I surprised to see Stantec and Edmonton tower up for sale already? Absolutely not.

I can see both sides but that doesn't mean that I'm happy about it. As far as economic impact, I'd argue that WEM has had a bigger impact that the ICE district has or will. Looking at Ticketmaster, most of the events at the arena are Oilers games along with the occasional concert. Pretty much the same as we were getting with the old coliseum. No net gain there except for ticket price increases and a few people eating downtown before a game. Strangely, people also went out to eat when the Oilers played at Northlands so the arena is basically moving economic impact from one part of town to another.

I'm just not happy that sports teams get these sweetheart deals for their arenas when it's been shown that the actual economic impact, like other major sporting events, is minimal.
    Not that anyone here seems to care but there are still some significant outstanding issues with the deal that, while having benefitted the downtown, have left another central area of the city is a bit of a lurch. The article below highlights how poorly this was all thought out

From the Edmonton Journal re: Edmonton Coliseum

Committee to consider pros, cons and risks of Coliseum site redevelopment

Should the city decide to sell the Northlands Coliseum building to a third party, it cannot encourage the purchaser to renovate or rebuild a sports or entertainment facility in its place and nor can it offer financial support or advocate for such an initiative, a new report says.

Because of a master agreement between the city and the Edmonton Arena Corporation, an affiliate of the Oilers Entertainment Group, if future zoning of the land or the area development plan requires a sports or entertainment facility, the city would be considered in contravention of the agreement signed in 2013 as part of the Rogers Place redevelopment.

Delaying the decision until 2019, “or later,” would mean the city would incur the arena holding cost. Leaving the site inactive for an extended period of time “could have a negative effect on the surrounding communities,” which was “one of the greatest community concerns” when the closure was announced last year, the report says

http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...-redevelopment
    Parkdale

^ What did we have for development for 30 years before the arena and ICE district ? Canada Place, Commerce Place, Icon, Riverwinds,Epcor.. That's it for 30 years 1983- 2013. After arena deal, you see the list I made. I don't think that's a coincidence.
    I started making a list of other significant provate buildings in the last 20 years or so and I came up with another 7 in downtown proper, a couple in strathcona, a couple at the bottom of the hill near symphony and 15 or so in Oliver including railtown. Add in contemporaries of the arena that have nothing to do with it (Edgewater, Hendrix, more) and of course Fox is far more icons phase 3&4 than it is arena dependent.

The Marriot, Tower B and the condos on top of stantec are nothing to sneeze at but they're really more evolution than revolution
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    I started making a list of other significant provate buildings in the last 20 years or so and I came up with another 7 in downtown proper, a couple in strathcona, a couple at the bottom of the hill near symphony and 15 or so in Oliver including railtown. Add in contemporaries of the arena that have nothing to do with it (Edgewater, Hendrix, more) and of course Fox is far more icons phase 3&4 than it is arena dependent.

The Marriot, Tower B and the condos on top of stantec are nothing to sneeze at but they're really more evolution than revolution
    I’m trying to remember who provided it to me, but there once was an Edmonton company (real estate or leasing?) that maintained a list of major buildings with construction dates, square footage area and other details. That was years ago, so I’d imagine that far more detailed lists should be available today.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post

Not that anyone here seems to care but there are still some significant outstanding issues with the deal that, while having benefitted the downtown, have left another central area of the city is a bit of a lurch. The article below highlights how poorly this was all thought out

Should the city decide to sell the Northlands Coliseum building to a third party, it cannot encourage the purchaser to renovate or rebuild a sports or entertainment facility in its place and nor can it offer financial support or advocate for such an initiative, a new report says.

Because of a master agreement between the city and the Edmonton Arena Corporation, an affiliate of the Oilers Entertainment Group, if future zoning of the land or the area development plan requires a sports or entertainment facility, the city would be considered in contravention of the agreement signed in 2013 as part of the Rogers Place redevelopment.

Delaying the decision until 2019, “or later,” would mean the city would incur the arena holding cost. Leaving the site inactive for an extended period of time “could have a negative effect on the surrounding communities,” which was “one of the greatest community concerns” when the closure was announced last year, the report says

while it would be easy to say the concern is just a outstanding issue with the arena deal, i'm not sure it's not a deeper issue... this lack of having plans in place prior to needing them isn't unique to rexall/northlands. it's the same thing with blatchford, the quarters, the remand centre, the old royal alberta museum, the original planetarium, rossdale, the high level bridge and the old rail lines in strathcona, strathearn and hollyrood and station pointe (and scores more) underzoned development opportunities in the city with no plans other than to wait for a developer to propose something the community will fight tooth and nail...

^ I agree that all those areas suffer the same lack of attention and planning from the city but none of the sites you listed actually had any binding covenants placed on them. This isn't just a case of neglect, I'd liken it to the Safeway covenants. They've all but ensured that any development that includes sports or entertainment.. and that's a major swath of potential development, can never happen there. This is not neglect, this is more willful stifling.
    Parkdale

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^ I agree that all those areas suffer the same lack of attention and planning from the city but none of the sites you listed actually had any binding covenants placed on them. This isn't just a case of neglect, I'd liken it to the Safeway covenants. They've all but ensured that any development that includes sports or entertainment.. and that's a major swath of potential development, can never happen there. This is not neglect, this is more willful stifling.
    with proper attention and planning, i'm not sure all of these terms would have been surrendered. i'm also pretty sure that with the right language that would still have been acceptable but hindsight is 20/10 and neither you nor i were at the table. perhaps some of the outcomes would have been improved if we were? regardless, there is still an opportunity there and if that means some renegotiations elsewhere when more clarity for all is available, there is an optimist in me that says some things may well be possible on that front.

Airport closure had more to do with the growing skyline than the arena....

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    with proper attention and planning, i'm not sure all of these terms would have been surrendered. i'm also pretty sure that with the right language that would still have been acceptable but hindsight is 20/10 and neither you nor i were at the table. perhaps some of the outcomes would have been improved if we were? regardless, there is still an opportunity there and if that means some renegotiations elsewhere when more clarity for all is available, there is an optimist in me that says some things may well be possible on that front.
    It's still pretty hard to argue that the restrictions placed on the site haven't put it at a significant disadvantage when it comes to redevelopment. I've yet to see a sign that the OEG may capitulate and the city itself, like many other city matters, has taken the path of least resistance and refrained from taking responsibility for previous bad decisions. The city has ample avenues to deal with OEG and take its rights back, but as with dealing with overzealous community organizations or problem landlords, the city takes the cowardly route as usual. I hope that changes for the area but given that the city has even refused to talk about the coliseum site or Northlands site at large with regards to the ARP consultations currently underway for the area immediately surrounding means that the city isn't interested in taking a holistic approach and guarantees that in a few years we'll either be exactly where we are now or even worse dealing with disjointed and incompatible plans. I wish I shared your optimism but the city has created its own reputation, and you know what they say about reputations..
    Parkdale

C2E Long Term Contributor

Revised DP for a mixed use 141.3m tower with 568 dwelling units and 43 storeys came across my desk today.

AKA Tower B.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E SME

Actual link, as 240GLT's got truncated: http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...-redevelopment

Too bad someone couldn't buy the building, disassemble it and reassemble it elsewhere. It's a dam good building.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Too bad someone couldn't buy the building, disassemble it and reassemble it elsewhere. It's a dam good building.
    interestingly enough, if it was somewhere else now, it's current site might well be considered a place to reassemble it. as 240GLT has noted, it's more a question of use and integration into the neighborhood than it is a statement of how good - or not good - the existing building is. one of the not-so-good things is it's full of asbestos that can't be removed (it was used extensively in the concrete) which means that repurposing the building may well be a better option than attempting to demolish it.

1)Rogers Place
    4) Ultima
    5) Encore
    6) Fox 1& 2
    7) Scotia Reclad
    WSP reclad
    10) Phase 2!?
    1) This wouldn't have happened with out Katz
    2) Stantec has been considering a tower in our city for a long time. Perhaps they even delayed one knowing that Katz arena district was were they wanted to be, if the arena was built. Stantec was consoldating to a new tower regardless of arena. The residences on top? Might not have happened with out the arena
    4, 5, 6 - still would happen new arena or not.
    7+ 8 ) still would happen. Has nothing to do with the arena
    9 + 10 ) should still happen, but wouldn't without the arena

I'll add 11) Edmonton Tower - Still would happened, arena or not. Katz basically strong-armed his way to making sure this tower was part of the arena district.

Trying to credit Katz and the new arena with all the above is a knock against our downtown. A lot of that would've still happened with or without the arena.
    This right here, sometimes i think katz did some pushing behind the scenes. How he was able to create all this momentum is beyond me. Timing and probably some luck helped him kick the arena district in the right direction.
    He basically cut deals everywhere he could, COE tower is a pretty obvious one.

I know this will be very unpopular , but i would have rather seen the original - unedited station lands build into reality, rather than ice district.

very unpopular indeed- Stationlands in the original form left many hoping for something better. The current design is better IMO, not just one big solid wall from 97 to 101.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Correlation isn't causation.
    Not unless you bennifit in a form. Keep ignoring facts.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Black Star View Post

Fortunately we got one of these on the north side of the arena from Katz. Although I'm not sure if it is paved.

These were gravel

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Rizza View Post
    I don’t know why we have this “haterness” about a guy who has and continues to invest about $1.5 Billion in our downtown. Hehis has changed the perception of Edmonton and I for one am happy that the city invested the $250million in the building. I was in favour from day one and am ecstatic about my city’s investment.

Who the fu** else was willing to invest this much in our downtown? Maybe I missed the Toronto or Calgary or New York investors that were all lining up to put a Billion plus in our city. I hope he tripled his money and keeps on investing.

Signed,
    Extremely proud of an Edmontonian doing well and improving the city!

Seems to me the city invested more like $561 million. They are the ones who borrowed the money to pay for the arena. Not Katz.

The opening post is saying that the Ice District is for sale for $1 billion. To say that Katz has invested about $1.5 billion in our downtown would be suggesting that he is hoping to maybe break even in his tower investments. Nobody risks $1 billion dollars to break even.

The city gave him a revenue stream for 35 years which any reasonable person would consider as a subsidy. He leveraged that subsidy to outbid several other proposals for a civic office building. Undoubtedly that building that is assessed at $304 million is revenue positive. He now has a revenue stream from the arena and the City of Edmonton tower and is able to outbid every other developer for the Stantec portion of that tower.

To suggest that Katz has invested about $1.5 billion is total nonsense (as in it does not make sense). I would actually speculate that it is an outright lie.

It certainly appears that downtown Edmonton has benefited from the arena and Ice District developments. I would argue that the City of Edmonton (the one that so many on this form love to rag on) is more responsible for this than Katz is. They are the ones who actually put the money on the line for this ball to start rolling.

As for your last question, perhaps the owner of the NHL team from the states that would would kill to be in a top ten NHL market might have been willing to invest this much in our city.

Next time I need to sell a house that cost me $333,000 dollars to build I should call you. That way I can sell it for a million dollars because you will know it is worth it!

This has nothing to do with "haterness" for the guy who got a free arena.

Without Daryl Katz we likely would not have a new arena, oilers would have likely been sold off to Houston or another city, no ice district towers and no a lot of things. You sound like a city or govt employee. Maybe he could sell the arena as well for 700+ mil, give the city their share and they could pay off the debt. Think of the property taxes they would haul in if it was privately owned.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 25-02-2018 at 10:03 PM.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

That would be fine except nobody will pay anything for a building that they can’t make any money off of. Don’t forget Katz gets every dollar that place generates minus the ticket tax. From parking to food to tickets for the concerts and events. The only money the city makes is their piddly tax on tickets to repay a significant loan used to pay for part of the city’s contribution over 25 years.

What other businesses are there that the city would build a building worth almost 3.4 of a billion dollars for? Sports teams get a pass because people are emotionally invested in something that they pretend belongs to them.

Without Daryl Katz we likely would not have a new arena, oilers would have likely been sold off to Houston or another city, no ice district towers and no a lot of things. You sound like a city or govt employee. Maybe he could sell the arena as well for 700+ mil, give the city their share and they could pay off the debt. Think of the property taxes they would haul in if it was privately owned.
    Considering he doesn't own the arena, I don't know how he would be able to sell the arena. You may have forgot, but the EIG was very happy to keep the oilers in Edmonton before Katz bought the team, threatened to leave the city if the city didn't build him a brand new arena. I don't recall EIG making threats like that.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Because it often costs more to do that...with little benefit...unless the building is so historically significant it makes social sense.

This building is pretty cookie cutter. You could build a facsimile, add modern conveniences... for less. IMO
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Considering he doesn't own the arena, I don't know how he would be able to sell the arena. You may have forgot, but the EIG was very happy to keep the oilers in Edmonton before Katz bought the team, threatened to leave the city if the city didn't build him a brand new arena. I don't recall EIG making threats like that.

Again, I get the angst with the deal...but it is done.

Let's see what materializes over the next 5 years or so...and then do a cost / benefit analysis using real dollars.
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

Yes, I agree - see my other posts on this and other similar thread. I'm just correcting misinformation - Katz doesn't own the arena therefore he can't sell it as Drumbones suggests, and there is no merit that the Oilers would've been sold to Seattle had Katz not stepped in.

Too many fan boys here want to put Katz up on pedestal and soak him in praise, but I feel that many people here are far too eager to give him far too much credit.

Has his actions made downtown/Edmonton better? Yes. Does he deserve all the credit? Hell no.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Fair enough.

C2E Posting Power

Are you Dyslexic Drumbones? Several posts ago you were bitching about how we " got a raw deal" from Katz in terms of "lack of concerts"....now he's a hero? Pick a side and stick with it......

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Are you Dyslexic Drumbones? Several posts ago you were bitching about how we " got a raw deal" from Katz in terms of "lack of concerts"....now he's a hero? Pick a side and stick with it......
    “Pick a side and stick with it”

Moronics 101 - picking sides to avoid thinking

Hilarious !!!!!

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    “Pick a side and stick with it”

Moronics 101 - picking sides to avoid thinking

Hilarious !!!!!
    Oh? Are you under the impression Drumbones was "thinking" when he flip flopped between Katz is a hero/scumbag? You are right though....Moronics 101 when people flip flop....you in his back pocket or something?......

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

[Not supporting, validating, or arguing an alleged flip flop...

...but are we saying that it is Dyslexia to...in light of new or recent information that allows one to reassess a situation... change one's opinion on a particular issue? Somehow, in the light of new evidence or other sources of enlightenment, that altering an opinion is moronic?

I guess the earth is flat, and Copernicus was a dyslexic *****...

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

What other businesses are there that the city would build a building worth almost 3.4 of a billion dollars for? Sports teams get a pass because people are emotionally invested in something that they pretend belongs to them.
    if you change “building” to “infrastructure” there would probably be lots of businesses that would qualify as correct answers to your question.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    if you change “building” to “infrastructure” there would probably be lots of businesses that would qualify as correct answers to your question.
    And if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon.

It's a building that is necessary for Katz's business. The tax revenue from the surrounding area is paying for in instead of being used for other infrastructure. The rest of the ice district cost much more than the arena so it's likely he could have paid for it himself. It would be infrastructure if the city was the one that was profiting from the events there (rent, etc). As it is, it's 99% used for business purposes, not counting the two weeks that the city has set aside.

Would it be infrastructure if the city built WEM and Triple Five rented out the space and collected all the revenue?

Hasn't that two weeks been scrapped?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12