Thread: Edmonton Oilers 2018 off-season

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Edmonton Oilers 2018 off-season

Now that the Oilers season is over, time to delve into off-season chatter.

First up - Iro Pakerinen signing with KHL:
    http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...eading-for-khl

Plus, what to do about the coaching staff?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

Turf everyone under Todd.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Funny, well not really, but both Oilers and Flames had terrible power plays and PK at home - along with terrible home records.

Both had goalie issues - theirs with the backup, ours, well bad year for Cam, hope it's outlier.

Difference? We tanked early and often - they tanked late and often.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Turf everyone under Todd.
    You forgot above, as well!

Ah, I'm fine with giving Todd and Chia another year to see what they can produce. Both the PK and PP were horrible, so the people responsible for that have to go.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Looks like it may be Gulutzan and Yawney as assistant coaches while Woodcroft becomes head coach of Bakersfield.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I hope they can talk TM into stabilizing his lines. Just mixing them up all the time with nobody knowing who's going to be playing with who can not be good. Put some lines together and have them stay together so they can familiarize and get to know each other WELL. Enough of this mix and match all season.

Hart Finalists Kopitar, Hall, MacKinnon.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Oilers pick 10th in the draft, a drop from 9th

C2E SME

That seems like a lot of money for a bit of a Hail Mary. Why not target someone like Elliott, Johnson, Khudobin, Grubauer, Neuvirth, Mrazek or Bernier? They're all in the same range salary wise and are actually proven 1B's in the NHL.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    That seems like a lot of money for a bit of a Hail Mary. Why not target someone like Elliott, Johnson, Khudobin, Grubauer, Neuvirth, Mrazek or Bernier? They're all in the same range salary wise and are actually proven 1B's in the NHL.
    Colorado signs a KHL goalie with a better average for $650K.

But Oil guy is 6'6".

I've wondered why teams go for height, rather than width. Someone should sign a sumo wrestler.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Jimbo, haven't you heard? The more you pay a player, the better he plays. Just look at Luc... wait... nevermind!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

How many other professional organizations have their General Manager running the jr team. The most important time of the NHL off season and our GM is making decisions for the junior team. Only in Katz's world is this a well run organization.

Well... we are the only team that owns both the NHL and Major Junior team, that has someone employed as President of Hockey Operations and GM. Every other team (Calgary has/had Brian Burke, Vancouver and Ottawa are not owned by the NHL team, Toronto, Winnipeg and Montreal do not have Major Junior Teams).

Given his title, it makes sense that he is making decisions for the Junior team. But not sure that it makes sense that he has both roles. I'm not sure he exactly spends much time with the Oil Kings however.
    Last edited by christopherj; 29-05-2018 at 01:02 PM.

The NHL GM should only have to worry about the NHL team, 100 percent of his energy needs to be focused on the major league team. Both teams will be in trouble with this type of structure.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    How many other professional organizations have their General Manager running the jr team. The most important time of the NHL off season and our GM is making decisions for the junior team. Only in Katz's world is this a well run organization.
    The NHL GM should only have to worry about the NHL team, 100 percent of his energy needs to be focused on the major league team. Both teams will be in trouble with this type of structure.
    i'm not sure you can compare the role of edmonton's gm with that of any other gm in the league.

according to the most recent chart i could find, above/alongside chiarelli in his role as gm, the oilers senior management also includes katz (owner and governor), nicholson (ceo and vice chair), gretzky (partner and vice chair) and lowe (vice chair and alternate governor).

in total, i'm not sure if this means chiarelli has more time to run a junior team because the typical role is shared more here or whether he has even less time here because of the need to do upward and parallel as well as downward management.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I would love to compare our organizational chart to others. We seem to be very top heavy, where does McTavish and Howson fit in?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

I would love to compare our organizational chart to others. We seem to be very top heavy, where does McTavish and Howson fit in?
    maybe on a line with keith gretzky and paul coffey? oh wait... that would be four people on one line.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    maybe on a line with keith gretzky and paul coffey? oh wait... that would be four people on one line.
    Good one

Keegan Lowe re-signed for 2 years

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Did anyone go down to Rogers place arena yesterday to get any used/new Oilers annual clean out the locker day gear?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...8-2ec26fd54884

" Peter did a deep dive with that. "

Top_Dawg loves this.

From what Top_Dawg has seen the only deep dive OEG has done is butt slamming their stupid season ticket holders right up the ol' fartbox.

Full bore.

Balls to the o-ring.

How can anybody believe anything this organization puts out ?

Given how bad this organization reeks, Bobby Dick is better off naming a sushi burrito after himself at one of Rogers' $hitty little concessions than commenting on hockey ops.

Just classic.

According to Terry Jones the Oilers are 18-1 to win the cup next year right behind Washington at 14-1.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'd agree with that. I don't know what he based those odds on. Based on a gut feeling I think next year its going to be Saint Louis/Buffalo Sabres. A Canadian team is so far off my radar for a cup finale.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    I'd agree with that. I don't know what he based those odds on. Based on a gut feeling I think next year its going to be Saint Louis/Buffalo Sabres. A Canadian team is so far off my radar for a cup finale.
    Huh?! It's gonna be what? St.Loiuis/Buff in the final? Your gut feeling is ssssooo far off.....should see a Dr. About that gut of yours

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    According to Terry Jones the Oilers are 18-1 to win the cup next year right behind Washington at 14-1.
    Tampa Bay Lightning: 9/1
    Boston Bruins: 10/1
    Toronto Maple Leafs: 10/1
    Vegas Golden Knights: 10/1
    Winnipeg Jets: 10/1
    Nashville Predators: 11/1
    Pittsburgh Penguins: 11/1
    Washington Capitals: 14/1
    Edmonton Oilers: 18/1
    Anaheim Ducks: 22/1
    Chicago Blackhawks: 22/1
    Columbus Blue Jackets: 25/1
    Dallas Stars: 25/1
    Calgary Flames: 28/1
    Philadelphia Flyers: 28/1
    Los Angeles Kings: 30/1

Welcome to the Oilers, Evan Bouchard! The team needs more rightie D-men.

C2E SME

I think Bouchard is a good choice. Good luck with the Oilers.

I also wonder who the Oilers will draft in the next rounds.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E SME

Kyle Brodziak returns to the Oilers: http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...dmonton-oilers

Are the Oilers a farm team now developing players for better squads?

Oilers punt Brodz, a useful player at his prime. He goes on to have a stellar career and several good seasons in Minnesota and helping that club have a perennial playoff position. We're also good enough to develop Devyn Dubnyk for that club.

We suffer all the development for both players and then let them go. Where they proceed to be valuable players for the Wild.

We now hire back Brodziak at age 34 and around 5yrs removed from his prime.

Last season was Outlier. This player won't hit 20pts and will make Kassian look motivated.

Come on down Boyd Gordon or Belanger Triangle part 3.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Dubnyk became a better goalie after the Oilers because he changed the way he played the position. The Oilers didn't trade away the goalie that he is now, he became that afterwards.

Oilers sign Tobias Rieder. I hope they have the presence of mind to place him with Leon Draisatle, fellow countryman. Rieder was originally selected by the Edmonton Oilers in the 4th round (114th overall) of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. Brodziac is back.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 01-07-2018 at 12:43 PM.

I'm glad the Oilers are only making small tinkerings thus far, especially with all the chatter about Lucic and Klefbom getting traded.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I'm glad the Oilers are only making small tinkerings thus far, especially with all the chatter about Lucic and Klefbom getting traded.
    You're glad Lucic isn't getting traded? Did you fall on your head much as a child?
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Worst signing Oilers ever made.

Maybe Lucic just had an off season. Rieder may fit here. He was tops when in the OHL with the Kitchener Rangers. Hoping he gets his mojo back here.

C2E SME

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

At first I was down with this player, but he's improved, matching his scoring output with the Islanders last season. He has come close to 20 goals once, but I doubt he'll get that way again. Maybe, we'll see.

C2E SME

He's a so-so middle six player. Which is what he was when PC thought it was a wise idea to trade a first line winger for him. That's not on Strome. Seems like he got fair market value, but the Oilers aren't in a great position cap wise to be paying many other middle to bottom of the lineup players fair value.

With just Nurse remaining to sign a new bridge deal, Chiarelli has been relatively quiet.

With just Nurse remaining to sign a new bridge deal, Chiarelli has been relatively quiet.
    That's a good thing!

He's a so-so middle six player. Which is what he was when PC thought it was a wise idea to trade a first line winger for him. That's not on Strome. Seems like he got fair market value, but the Oilers aren't in a great position cap wise to be paying many other middle to bottom of the lineup players fair value.
    Strome has more upside than Eberle. He is also more useful because he can play centre. Hopefully he has an improved second year with the Oilers.

No cap room to do much of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Strome has more upside than Eberle. He is also more useful because he can play centre. Hopefully he has an improved second year with the Oilers.
    More upside than Eberle? Explain the comment. you mean because Strome has rarely produced much theres more room for improvement whereas the consistently producing Eberle is harder pressed to increase his totals?

That's like picking mud over gold as a stock feeling mud has more upside room to appreciate.

Next, just because Strome is a Center doesn't mean he is a particularly good one. The Oilers, with the addition of Brodziak (albeit old) now have 4 centers better than Strome which leads me to my last point that Strome was expected to be a winger here, and not a Center.

Eberle is one-dimensional. His performance in the playoffs 2 years ago exposed his weaknesses. 20-25 goal scorers like Ebs, Bobby Ryan, and Jussi Jokinen (in his prime) don't have a long shelf life.

Strome played on the wing for most of his NHL career. If need be, he will play centre (drafted as one). But even as a winger, he can fly down the boards and fire a wicked shot. He can also kill penalties. That's at least 2 parts of his game that Eberle will never do.

Eberle is one-dimensional. His performance in the playoffs 2 years ago exposed his weaknesses. 20-25 goal scorers like Ebs, Bobby Ryan, and Jussi Jokinen (in his prime) don't have a long shelf life.

Strome played on the wing for most of his NHL career. If need be, he will play centre (drafted as one). But even as a winger, he can fly down the boards and fire a wicked shot. He can also kill penalties. That's at least 2 parts of his game that Eberle will never do.
    I'll take a one dimensional player over a no dimensional player. Strome is not a strong or physical player, not particularly good defensively either imo, and certainly doesn't have a wicked shot. The point being Strome hardly ever scores, which is the purpose of a shot. Strome is an ineffectual player in every aspect. We traded talent for hoping that some kind of player breaks out in Strome. Its been 5 seasons and he's still looking for NHl game.

Also Eberle has scored as many as 34goals in a season and routinely hits 25. So calling him a 20-25 goal scorer is selling it short.

What is the Ryan Strome potential you speak of?
    Last edited by Replacement; 07-07-2018 at 10:34 AM.

That's correct. He should be called a 23.75 goal scorer. That would be absolutely accurate.

Sure his playoff performance was pretty sad but it would be nice to have 23.75 goals in a season from someone to help the Oilers get to the playoffs.
    The Oilers dropped 12 goals in the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    That's correct. He should be called a 23.75 goal scorer. That would be absolutely accurate.

Sure his playoff performance was pretty sad but it would be nice to have 23.75 goals in a season from someone to help the Oilers get to the playoffs.
    Don't just add up the seasons including the 48 game season and not factor that it of course reduces the average. In the average of full seasons Eberle clocks in around 27 goals/season.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^ ^^

the discussions would be more productive and more interesting if you left the nits aside.

besides, it’s less the games in a season than the number of games played (some players only play 48 games in an 82 game season).

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post

Don't just add up the seasons including the 48 game season and not factor that it of course reduces the average. In the average of full seasons Eberle clocks in around 27 goals/season.

You are being quite generous in getting that up to 27 goals a season. If you averaged out that shortened season and assumed he would make it through the full 82 games that year his average would be 25.125.

C2E SME

What "upside"? Strome is what he is, a checking center who can chip in a few points. He's not going to improve to any significant degree. He's in his peak/plateau years, now. Strome is a career 0.47 ppg player, while Eberle is 0.75 ppg (1st/2nd line winger). How that translates in to Strome having more "upside" because he's a few years younger is beyond me. Eberle will continue to play top line minutes and put up top line numbers for the duration of his contract.

Meanwhile, the Oilers are desperately lacking in scoring, skill, and speed on the wings. What's easier to find and fit in an existing cap structure: a scoring winger making 4-6 million or a checking center making 2-3 million? Not to mention that the savings between the two players were then handed over to Russell on another terrible contract. The trade and subsequent moves still make zero sense in hindsight. I would rather have Eberle vs Strome/Russell any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66

You must have a different definition of "fly" than me. He's not a very good skater by NHL standards. He's about average. Yes, he does have a hard shot, but so did Nail Yakupov. The stat lines don't lie: Strome has a hard time scoring at the NHL level.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59
    You are being quite generous in getting that up to 27 goals a season. If you averaged out that shortened season and assumed he would make it through the full 82 games that year his average would be 25.125.

This isn't difficult math: 190 career goals / 588 career games x 82 games in a season = 26.5 goals/82 game season.

And for what it's worth, Eberle has also been very durable in his career, playing in about 95% of available games. With Strome it's a harder comparison, since he spent part of a season in the AHL.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Also, Eberle scores an average of 20+ goals per season since 2013-14 season. There's no comparison between Strome and Eberle. Hall and Ebs got moved out of this city for the future of Dria and Lucic not to mention McDavid. At 28 Eberle is getting better with age. Face it, PC dropped the ball with Ebs. Hall I can understand. I'm no expert, but PC's deal making as of late really gives me pause. Just saying.
    Last edited by envaneo; 09-07-2018 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin
    This isn't difficult math: 190 career goals / 588 career games x 82 games in a season = 26.5 goals/82 game season.

And for what it's worth, Eberle has also been very durable in his career, playing in about 95% of available games. With Strome it's a harder comparison, since he spent part of a season in the AHL.

You are giving him 1.375 goals a season for being injured? I'm not.

Andrej Sekera underwent successful surgery today to repair a torn Achilles tendon. Sekera was injured during an off-season training session & will be sidelined indefinitely.

^I like the way they started it with the good medicine followed by the bad medicine.

lol that this was outed before the Oilers even announced it and that this news isn't coming out at all until after the surgery.

Fullscale damage control opps in oilersville. Sell them damn tickets and minipacks.

Wonder when Sekera was actually injured and how long the Oilers org has been holding onto this or in the dark.

C2E SME

Likely not long. Achilles operations tend to happen almost immediately after injury, I believe. And they're a pretty acute injury that you don't have to wait to evaluate. You can put your conspiracy theories to rest.

Definitely not a good thing for Sekera's career. That's a couple pretty major injuries and surgeries in the last year and a bit. And they never did say much about what he hurt towards the end of the last season. There was a couple mentions that it was the same knee, but not sure if it was the ACL again or something else. At his age, it's going to be tough to come back from. If he only had 2 years on his contract, then they would likely buy him out next summer, although I'm not clear on how his contract is structured and how that impacts a buyout. But with 3 years left, that's not really an option. He'll likely be gone the better part of the entire next season, and then they'll get the last 2 years of a 32+ year old D who's held together with bailing wire and bubble gum.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 15-08-2018 at 08:47 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I think it said on the news last night he played ~ 36 games before his injury. Apparently the game he got injured from was not a home game.

C2E SME

I think it said on the news last night he played ~ 36 games before his injury. Apparently the game he got injured from was not a home game.
    No, that is not what was said. He played 36 games after coming back from injury. Then missed the final 2 games of the year because he had "tweaked" the knee which had the ACL replaced. But it was never made clear if he had again damaged the ACL, or if it was something else in the knee. If he damaged the new ACL, that's really, really bad because ACL's don't heal at all. So if it was partially torn again from being rushed back in a season that was already over by the time he came back, his knee would be weaker and he'd have to continue playing with a heavy brace until it was replaced again. And the Oilers would have totally screwed the pooch once again pushing a player back from injury too soon. For nothing.

You don't want to end up like Robby Fabbri, who has basically lost 2 full seasons in what should be the prime of his career and will likely never be the player he otherwise could have been: https://thehockeynews.com/news/artic...t-happens-next

https://thehockeywriters.com/st-loui...njury-rebound/

So like I said, I'm really curious to know what exactly Sekera did to his knee at the end of last season. If his ACL was damaged again, it may well make sense to replace it while he's also recovering from the Achilles surgery, since he's going to be out for the better part of a year anyways. And part of my interest is personal as I had the same procedure done 2 weeks after him. I beat him back to Div 11 Alberta Men's by a month, because I'm such a finely tuned athlete. But in all seriousness, every instruction from my physio and surgeon along the way was "9-12 months until your ACL graft is approaching full strength and the risk of re-injury is low enough to get back in to competitive sports." With Sekera, they had him back at about 6-7, which increased the chance of re-injury significantly. Given that the season was lost, they should have told him to sit out even if he was adamant he was ready to play.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 15-08-2018 at 01:22 PM.

I am more worried about the Oilers' goaltending than anything else.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

No, that is not what was said. He played 36 games after coming back from injury. Then missed the final 2 games of the year because he had "tweaked" the knee which had the ACL replaced. But it was never made clear if he had again damaged the ACL, or if it was something else in the knee. If he damaged the new ACL, that's really, really bad because ACL's don't heal at all. So if it was partially torn again from being rushed back in a season that was already over by the time he came back, his knee would be weaker and he'd have to continue playing with a heavy brace until it was replaced again. And the Oilers would have totally screwed the pooch once again pushing a player back from injury too soon. For nothing.

You don't want to end up like Robby Fabbri, who has basically lost 2 full seasons in what should be the prime of his career and will likely never be the player he otherwise could have been: https://thehockeynews.com/news/artic...t-happens-next

https://thehockeywriters.com/st-loui...njury-rebound/

So like I said, I'm really curious to know what exactly Sekera did to his knee at the end of last season. If his ACL was damaged again, it may well make sense to replace it while he's also recovering from the Achilles surgery, since he's going to be out for the better part of a year anyways. And part of my interest is personal as I had the same procedure done 2 weeks after him. I beat him back to Div 11 Alberta Men's by a month, because I'm such a finely tuned athlete. But in all seriousness, every instruction from my physio and surgeon along the way was "9-12 months until your ACL graft is approaching full strength and the risk of re-injury is low enough to get back in to competitive sports." With Sekera, they had him back at about 6-7, which increased the chance of re-injury significantly. Given that the season was lost, they should have told him to sit out even if he was adamant he was ready to play.

I've been an Oilers fan since they first entered the NHL. Its my team. Not that I'm an expert but it sounds like sloppy player development to me. Was this decision made by the Oilers conditioning coach? How much input would Sekera's agent have in any of this? Thanks for the links

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    It sounds like your referring to Cam Talbot. I could be wrong here but Talbot's performance last year had more to do with his domestic situation.

The Oilers are saddened by the loss of Frank Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    It sounds like your referring to Cam Talbot. I could be wrong here but Talbot's performance last year had more to do with his domestic situation.
    It's not his domestic situation: https://oilersnation.com/2018/09/03/...er-cam-talbot/
    Quote: "side note: if you comment on this article with some BS about “Oh, the twins are causing him to lose sleep”, just stop. The twins were born in October 2016, which was the beginning of the best season of his career. Also, lot’s of athletes have kids. That is a TERRIBLE narrative, so everyone should just drop it."

However, it being a contract year I would guess Talbot bounces back to close to 16-17 level. There is certainly no possible way he lets in 14 first shot goals again, I would predict...

Quite a dull off-season for the Oil and the pre-season is almost ready to begin. Only thing is Nurse re-signing under the cap.

C2E Posting Power

Quite a dull off-season for the Oil and the pre-season is almost ready to begin. Only thing is Nurse re-signing under the cap.
    I'm kinda liking this off season of no "baby mama drama" that we always seem to have in the off season. I think it's a good omen and for once, the team hasn't been talked about, spotlighted all to hell. Let the writers focus on the Leafs, Flamers and Sens for once.....