Results 1 to 58 of 58

Thread: Your ideal garage would include?

  1. #1

    Default Your ideal garage would include?

    If you built your ideal or dream garage what would you want?

  2. #2

    Default

    A mechanic.

  3. #3

    Default

    Good one kk

    Many years ago my coworker had a mechanic for his garage. His wife. She built a 5.0 litre Mustang race car and took it to the track on weekends. Really funny when guys would try to impress her with their car smarts and thought it was her husband's car and she knew more about Fords than anyone I knew. She would then beat them on the track, even lapping them.

    How about a loft/mancave/boom-boom-room?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  4. #4

    Default

    My ideal garage would be a portion of a large open warehouse space like Dan Tanna had in Vegas (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegas_(1978_TV_series)). Of course, that would mean being somewhere with no winter, which would be part of the ideal too.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

  5. #5
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    1,399

    Default

    I don't really need too much, but a large 3 car garage, that included a hoist, had enough room for a decent toolbox, and workbench.

  6. #6
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    11,489

    Default

    a series 1.5 xke...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    My ideal garage would be a portion of a large open warehouse space like Dan Tanna had in Vegas (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegas_(1978_TV_series)). Of course, that would mean being somewhere with no winter, which would be part of the ideal too.

    http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/image...55986028_1.jpg

  8. #8

    Default

    Well I was close - I used to have the brown chair in the foreground left.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

  9. #9
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,801
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    a series 1.5 xke...
    I see what you did there....
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

  10. #10
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,801
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lobbdogg View Post
    I don't really need too much, but a large 3 car garage, that included a hoist, had enough room for a decent toolbox, and workbench.
    This is a garage. The rest are man caves...and should be either in an attic or a basement.

    I never understood the desire for super ornate garages. ...but then, I like to work on my cars. I'd rather spend my $$$ on a flat floor, tools, a hoist, and a wash bay.
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

  11. #11
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    11,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    a series 1.5 xke...
    I see what you did there....
    been in love with them ever since i saw the first pictures in road & track when i was 11.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  12. #12

    Default

    My all time favourite Jag. Red or British Racing Green Ken?

  13. #13
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    11,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cumberland View Post
    My all time favourite Jag. Red or British Racing Green Ken?
    british racing green if i had a choice although i have long felt the best colour for any jaguar is the colour of the one youíre driving...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lobbdogg View Post
    I don't really need too much, but a large 3 car garage, that included a hoist, had enough room for a decent toolbox, and workbench.
    This is a garage. The rest are man caves...and should be either in an attic or a basement.

    I never understood the desire for super ornate garages. ...but then, I like to work on my cars. I'd rather spend my $$$ on a flat floor, tools, a hoist, and a wash bay.
    I generally don’t work on my cars. Been mostly lucky that way.

    I would use 3/4” plywood on all exposed walls so I could hang what needs to be hung, where it should be hung.

    I have a wall that is floor to ceiling slat wall and I like that.

    I like my large sump in the floor, water and vacuum outlets in the garage.

    The frickin window in the middle of a wall sure screws up organizational options (like fireplaces). So do the house and side doors that are near flush with a wall leaving little space behind them for useful storage.

    Plus the garage is too narrow by a foot but that was done to allow a driveway to a second rear garage. That said, I hate my 18” deep x 7’ high near wall to wall cupboards down one side because they squeeze the parking space. (Original owner must have only parked one vehicle in the garage as we need to back one vehicle in.)

    Also I replaced a wall heater with a huge radiant heater. In a 8’6” ceiling room it useless for generally heating the room as the vehicles block the rays from warming the garage area at the far end by the overhead door. Snow will just sit there.

    I like the windows I my overhead door and I cut and installed a glass insert into the side door for added light. Both work well for improving light.

    I’d love ceiling cavities to hang and store things (bicycles, canoe, Thule roof box or whatever)

    I didn’t like my florescent tubes so I replace them with strip lighting, which I hate even more. (Still looking for a great lighting method.)

    I’d like more waterproof walls such as tile or sheet aluminum or stainless steel so I could wash my vehicle once and a while in the garage or at least just wash out the garage with ease.

    Id like mid-height indented shelves for an air compressor etc and airlines in conduit behind the walls/above the ceiling feeding a retractable reel for convenience.

    It’s 1970s construction and there are far too few plug ins.

    As for ornateness - I like nice, sensible and clean and appealing designs so if the rest of my house including rooms where one “takes a dump” etc get inordinate amounts of money spent on them, why not spend a fraction more on the garage and why not place the same priority on appearances on the garage.

    I’m not at all impressed with the crappy but expensive “man cave” cupboards with useless cosmetic-only checker plate faces. Checker-plate is for traction!
    Last edited by KC; 13-05-2018 at 09:40 AM.

  15. #15
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Westmount, Edmonton
    Posts
    5,519

    Default

    Shelves and lift system for storing the ski box on the ceiling. Also a granny suite for the kids to live in.

    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

  16. #16
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,801
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    a series 1.5 xke...
    I see what you did there....
    been in love with them ever since i saw the first pictures in road & track when i was 11.
    I understand....been in love with the one in the garage since I can remember...
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

  17. #17
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,801
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lobbdogg View Post
    I don't really need too much, but a large 3 car garage, that included a hoist, had enough room for a decent toolbox, and workbench.
    This is a garage. The rest are man caves...and should be either in an attic or a basement.

    I never understood the desire for super ornate garages. ...but then, I like to work on my cars. I'd rather spend my $$$ on a flat floor, tools, a hoist, and a wash bay.
    I generally don’t work on my cars. Been mostly lucky that way.

    (...)!
    Work = restore or modify. Current goal is to put a tuned 3.8L SC Series III into my 1988 Fiero...

    Plus, I'm off to tinker with the XK-E in a week or so....
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    a series 1.5 xke...
    I see what you did there....
    been in love with them ever since i saw the first pictures in road & track when i was 11.
    I understand....been in love with the one in the garage since I can remember...
    Then you'll want to gawk at the 2018 All-British Meet, Saturday June 9 10am-4pm In Victoria Park where the ice rink usually is.http://www.albertaallbritishmotoring...l-british-meet
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

  19. #19

    Default

    Fiero?

    Seen two on fire on the same day, years ago, one in Oakville and one at night in Waterloo. Quite spectacular.

    At least a Delorean was made from stainless steel...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  20. #20

    Default

    Jag! In the early late ‘80s or early ‘90s I was toying with the idea of getting a used Jag as a ski car. Just for highway trips. So I went and talked with a Jag mechanic at a place off Whyte Ave and before I could say what I was thinking of getting one for, the mechanic said they were ‘great cars, just don’t take them on the highway’.

  21. #21
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    11,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Jag! In the early late ‘80s or early ‘90s I was toying with the idea of getting a used Jag as a ski car. Just for highway trips. So I went and talked with a Jag mechanic at a place off Whyte Ave and before I could say what I was thinking of getting one for, the mechanic said they were ‘great cars, just don’t take them on the highway’.
    jag mechanic? maybe he should have worked on them less and driven them more.

    just took one of the ‘92 vdp’s to banff on thursday and back today. they’re both at home everywhere but they’re still happiest on the highway (unless they’re being held up ).
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  22. #22
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,575

    Default

    Less of my brother's cars.

  23. #23
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,559

    Default

    ^lol.

    DC2R
    AP1 - check
    NSX - mid 90s
    HSV-010 GT
    911 GT3RS
    356 spider
    2000GT
    McLaren F1
    Something fun from the 1920s
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  24. #24

    Default

    Not one of them on your list can you drive for 6 months of the year on our snow and pot-holed streets... sad
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  25. #25
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,575

    Default

    So? Cars like these are more like art than transportation. If you drive them too much, you'll destroy their value. They've actually been on of the best performing asset classes the last decade: https://www.economist.com/news/finan...afford-it-cars


  26. #26
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,792

    Default

    We have a pretty good set up already. Built it 2 years ago with the house. 3 car garage, heated and drywalled, very nice 1BR suite above, rented out. One of the garage stalls has a bank of cabinets and tool chests. We could park a smaller 'fun' car there, but I have no money or time right now for one, so it just gets occupied by strollers and bikes.

    If I was to do it again, I probably would have done a very oversized double, with one stall almost a tandem, vaulted ceilings to allow for a lift in the long stall, and then a two storey loft suite beside the garage (but attached) rather than above. Almost a micro suite. Or maybe a triple with the suite beside it.

    We have a 110' wide lot at the back, so there's lots of room for it.

  27. #27
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,801
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Then you'll want to gawk at the 2018 All-British Meet, Saturday June 9 10am-4pm In Victoria Park where the ice rink usually is.http://www.albertaallbritishmotoring...l-british-meet

    ...thanks for the heads up.
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

  28. #28
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Not one of them on your list can you drive for 6 months of the year on our snow and pot-holed streets... sad
    I used to drive my AP1 S2000 year round without issue, DC2s are common winter cars and hells yes I would drive a GT3 in the snow.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  29. #29

    Default

    IanO, seriously, your main mode of transportation to commute is by foot. I seriously don't buy the s2000 as a year round car. Sure, maybe on a few nice days in the winter, but your not exactly bringing that thing out after a good snow fall.

  30. #30
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    11,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    IanO, seriously, your main mode of transportation to commute is by foot. I seriously don't buy the s2000 as a year round car. Sure, maybe on a few nice days in the winter, but your not exactly bringing that thing out after a good snow fall.
    iím not sure why not... the 25 year old v12 jag gets out after a good snow fall and there used to be a fiat 124 spyder that was a year round car even after a good snow fall as well.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  31. #31
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    IanO, seriously, your main mode of transportation to commute is by foot. I seriously don't buy the s2000 as a year round car. Sure, maybe on a few nice days in the winter, but your not exactly bringing that thing out after a good snow fall.
    Actually... I drove it regularly to sites and project meetings in the winter as well to hockey a couple of times a week, groceries, to moms, visiting friends, etc. etc.

    The best were those -25C days where top down in a ski outfit was magical. It was fine in the snow so long as you put some weight in the back and good winters.

    But hey, thanks for telling me how I live my life.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  32. #32
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,801
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I've seen a Ferrari on winters this year... I wouldn't call it the best winter transport, but it was out there.
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

  33. #33

    Default

    The ideal garage is the one without an automobile.

  34. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    The ideal garage is the one without an automobile.
    That sounds politically correct.

    Like the ideal house is one without a gas burning furnace.

  35. #35

    Default

    I am not politically correct. I usually terminate all conversation once political correctness is mentioned, but I'll make an exception for once.

    The ideal garage does not include a car because in the ideal world one would not drive at all. One would walk as much as possible and take public transport everywhere else.

    This has far less to do with eco something or other than you think. It has to do with what not driving does to an individual human being. And it's almost all good. It's cheaper, less attenuating on the nerves, promotes motion and therefore a minimal level of fitness, and lets you actually watch the landscape rather than concentrating on the details of controlling the vehicle.

    Ever wonder why what we call Eurotrash are so much healthier than we are?

    They drive less.
    Last edited by AShetsen; 16-05-2018 at 10:25 AM.

  36. #36

    Default

    I walk or bike to work 95% of the time. I still own a vehicle....

  37. #37

    Default

    So do I.

    Note I said the ideal garage and the ideal world.

  38. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    The ideal garage is the one without an automobile.
    Wouldn't that be called a "shed" and thus irrelevant to this thread?
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

  39. #39
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,575

    Default

    Oh look, it's AShetsen shetsing sanctimony in another thread. How totally unexpected!

  40. #40
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,801
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    So do I.

    Note I said the ideal garage and the ideal world.
    ...which then isn't a garage...for having such a space designed to house an automobile, which now houses a mode of transportation that can fit in a small box, porch, or hang from a wall...would be sprawl, wasted space, and contributing to excess resource consumption...
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

  41. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    So do I.

    Note I said the ideal garage and the ideal world.
    In the ideal garage and the ideal world, I need a garage for my Millennium Falcon...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  42. #42

    Default

    I buy reliable vehicles with long warranties. I never do any mechanics and prefer it that way. Just don't enjoy working on vehicles and never have. As a homeowner though I'm very into repairing things so have a good long work bench, several saws, lots of tools well organized. I repurposed old kitchen cupboards (Dads) and use them as garage storage for larger tools. On one wall I have large pegboards with 100's of tools displayed visually. Tools organized by project need. So that it takes me a few seconds to grab whatever I need. I've also stocked up on chargeable cordless tools now as that's the way to go. I have cordless chargeable everything from drivers, saws, to lawnmower, weedeater. They all work great.

    All our camping supplies are blue binned on high shelf to just throw in the vehicle whenever we need them. So that whenever we go camping all I have to do is hook up trailer, throw two blue bins in the back and pack some clothes. All our trailer equipment also organized in one place.

    Car stuff all together as well. Brushes, antifreeze, oil, car cleaing supplies etc. All one cupboard.

    Everything organized. Paint cabinet with all its supplies, Power tool cabinet. Socket, drills, driver bits organized. Garden tool area, Screw/nail wall organizer and drawer for extra. Even separate drawer for all framing brackets (always keep an assortment on hand ready to do any project or repair) Chargers for tools and spare chargeable batteries all in one cupboard. (somewhere in my life I recognized what a timesaver organization is) Every wall space is efficiently used.


    I've improvised hangers for bikes and for lumber to hang out of the way. Always like to have some on hand. Also one complete wall for hanging implements, shovels, garden tools etc. We have two car garage but park tent trailer in one stall. The roof of the tent trailer serves as extra counter space whenever we have big projects going on and need a lot of tools spread out. That way no bending and stuff to pick up tools and is all at easy reach.

    Have two electric heaters in garage but don't use them as garage door is insulated and I find that working in there keeps me warm enough on all but the coldest days.

    Time saving thngs people should have if they like to work;

    Bench saw, band saw, drill press, vices. For someone that didn't much like shop I have a lot of what the shop teacher figured was essential in the woodwork department which I've come to enjoy using.



    ps I'm an organizing freak now. Same way in the kitchen. put things in one place where I know where they are. The wife conspires to screw the kitchen organization out of kilter on a regular basis putting things in the *wrong* place... but not the garage, haha.

    Its funny though the discussion this leads to;

    Me:"Why would you put something there where you'll never find it"

    Wife; "To get it out of the way"

    Me: "Oh"


    But keeping in mind I'm having this convo with somebody that loses their keys every other week..
    Last edited by Replacement; 16-05-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  43. #43

    Default

    Sanctimony? Bullshi+. Look in your mirror, degenerate loser.

    Creeps who spend all their time in the bridge thread whining about the unwelded plates have nothing to say to anyone actually human.

    Garages were sheds once. Sheds are better for you than garages, anyway. Apply your grumping to the people above who talked about shelving, ceiling cavities and all the rest of it.

  44. #44

    Default

    I prefer not to park in a garage. Garages are great for working, for the classic or sports car that comes out only once in a while, bikes, and I have a small trailer in mine too.But for a regular car that gets used regularly I would rather park on the driveway or even the street. It just enhances the feeling of arrival/departure to actually step outside.Ideal garage would be oversized double. Bikes/mower tools spread out a bit in the summer when the car is outside, then stow in the winter but leaving enough room for toys and work year round. Heated, and with a sink. And I don't need it but I really appreciate the bathroom with shower that you see in some farm garages. Great when you have a job or a hobby that gets you really dirty. For attached garages I really like the basement garage designs you see in some older infill houses.
    Last edited by Highlander II; 16-05-2018 at 11:31 AM.
    There can only be one.

  45. #45

    Default

    ^I keep a small older camping water container with tap filled with water for the odd cleaning off. Right next to the orange goo dispenser that removes everything from paint to oil etc. Paper towel roll at the ready to dry off. Doesn't work so well in the winter having water dispenser in there but of course I don't paint in the winter..

    Also of note we collect all water off garage roof for gardening. Also some of our house roof water and from overhangs and accessory building are all collected in barrels. Going on 4 barrel storage at this point. Basically 80% of our outside water needs is collected. If it rains regularly enough its 100%.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  46. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    Sanctimony? Bullshi+. Look in your mirror, degenerate loser.

    Creeps who spend all their time in the bridge thread whining about the unwelded plates have nothing to say to anyone actually human.

    Garages were sheds once. Sheds are better for you than garages, anyway. Apply your grumping to the people above who talked about shelving, ceiling cavities and all the rest of it.

    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  47. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    So do I.

    Note I said the ideal garage and the ideal world.
    In the ideal garage and the ideal world, I need a garage for my Millennium Falcon...
    Well, I’d use a transporter. So then just having an ideal garage sitting empty wouldn’t be ideal because it would be a horrible waste of resources. How many garages did you see on Star Trek? Though even those guys often left a trail of destruction and debris across space, not to mention frequently firing off phasers or proton torpedoes into space with no concern for those on the other side of the quadrant.

    On the other hand, with no vehicle, I could store a flying sub in my ideal garage. Does Uber tow on request?



    http://www.vttbots.com/Graphics/wing..._2bresized.jpg
    Last edited by KC; 16-05-2018 at 02:38 PM.

  48. #48

    Default

    I live a somewhat strange life where I both love walk-ability and downtown living, but also acreage life and messing around with anything with an engine.

    My ideal "garage"(s) would be a single parking space in a downtown condo where I have a cheap commuter car and perhaps a motorcycle, and then also an acreage <30 minutes out of town where I have a large multi-bay, high roof shop. I'll admit, I love old junk, whether it's cars, trucks, sleds, motorcycles, boats, travel trailers, it's all fun and cool to work on and mess around with. Just somewhere to get away from the hustle and bustle of inner city living, and store all my various projects I acquire.
    East of the Rockies, and west of the rest!

  49. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    Sanctimony? Bullshi+. Look in your mirror, degenerate loser.

    Creeps who spend all their time in the bridge thread whining about the unwelded plates have nothing to say to anyone actually human.

    Garages were sheds once. Sheds are better for you than garages, anyway. Apply your grumping to the people above who talked about shelving, ceiling cavities and all the rest of it.
    Ok, I guess I won’t ask about ideal bathroom design.

    BTW I have not one but two outhouses. (One needs a new hole dug but I don’t think that’s allowed anymore. So, so much for that exercise opportunity.) Nonetheless they get you out and going. Think of the health benefits!

  50. #50

    Default

    Actually, Star Trek had a garage...

    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  51. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nickv View Post
    I live a somewhat strange life where I both love walk-ability and downtown living, but also acreage life and messing around with anything with an engine.

    My ideal "garage"(s) would be a single parking space in a downtown condo where I have a cheap commuter car and perhaps a motorcycle, and then also an acreage <30 minutes out of town where I have a large multi-bay, high roof shop. I'll admit, I love old junk, whether it's cars, trucks, sleds, motorcycles, boats, travel trailers, it's all fun and cool to work on and mess around with. Just somewhere to get away from the hustle and bustle of inner city living, and store all my various projects I acquire.
    You’d have loved the acreage place I was in last summer in BC (for a wedding reception). An about 60’x100’ or larger two-storey high “shop” with a mezzanine for storing / displaying their racing machines and a house attached. Their fitness is great because they spend most of it in the backcountry and up in the mountains.

  52. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Actually, Star Trek had a garage...

    Well, transport me back in time! I totally forgot about that!

  53. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    I buy reliable vehicles with long warranties. I never do any mechanics and prefer it that way. Just don't enjoy working on vehicles and never have. As a homeowner though I'm very into repairing things so have a good long work bench, several saws, lots of tools well organized. I repurposed old kitchen cupboards (Dads) and use them as garage storage for larger tools. On one wall I have large pegboards with 100's of tools displayed visually. Tools organized by project need. So that it takes me a few seconds to grab whatever I need. I've also stocked up on chargeable cordless tools now as that's the way to go. I have cordless chargeable everything from drivers, saws, to lawnmower, weedeater. They all work great.

    All our camping supplies are blue binned on high shelf to just throw in the vehicle whenever we need them. So that whenever we go camping all I have to do is hook up trailer, throw two blue bins in the back and pack some clothes. All our trailer equipment also organized in one place.

    Car stuff all together as well. Brushes, antifreeze, oil, car cleaing supplies etc. All one cupboard.

    Everything organized. Paint cabinet with all its supplies, Power tool cabinet. Socket, drills, driver bits organized. Garden tool area, Screw/nail wall organizer and drawer for extra. Even separate drawer for all framing brackets (always keep an assortment on hand ready to do any project or repair) Chargers for tools and spare chargeable batteries all in one cupboard. (somewhere in my life I recognized what a timesaver organization is) Every wall space is efficiently used.


    I've improvised hangers for bikes and for lumber to hang out of the way. Always like to have some on hand. Also one complete wall for hanging implements, shovels, garden tools etc. We have two car garage but park tent trailer in one stall. The roof of the tent trailer serves as extra counter space whenever we have big projects going on and need a lot of tools spread out. That way no bending and stuff to pick up tools and is all at easy reach.

    Have two electric heaters in garage but don't use them as garage door is insulated and I find that working in there keeps me warm enough on all but the coldest days.

    Time saving thngs people should have if they like to work;

    Bench saw, band saw, drill press, vices. For someone that didn't much like shop I have a lot of what the shop teacher figured was essential in the woodwork department which I've come to enjoy using.



    ps I'm an organizing freak now. Same way in the kitchen. put things in one place where I know where they are. The wife conspires to screw the kitchen organization out of kilter on a regular basis putting things in the *wrong* place... but not the garage, haha.

    Its funny though the discussion this leads to;

    Me:"Why would you put something there where you'll never find it"

    Wife; "To get it out of the way"

    Me: "Oh"


    But keeping in mind I'm having this convo with somebody that loses their keys every other week..
    I have vices!

  54. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    I have vices!
    Me too, Bourbon, cigars, women...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  55. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nickv View Post
    I live a somewhat strange life where I both love walk-ability and downtown living, but also acreage life and messing around with anything with an engine.

    My ideal "garage"(s) would be a single parking space in a downtown condo where I have a cheap commuter car and perhaps a motorcycle, and then also an acreage <30 minutes out of town where I have a large multi-bay, high roof shop. I'll admit, I love old junk, whether it's cars, trucks, sleds, motorcycles, boats, travel trailers, it's all fun and cool to work on and mess around with. Just somewhere to get away from the hustle and bustle of inner city living, and store all my various projects I acquire.
    You’d have loved the acreage place I was in last summer in BC (for a wedding reception). An about 60’x100’ or larger two-storey high “shop” with a mezzanine for storing / displaying their racing machines and a house attached. Their fitness is great because they spend most of it in the backcountry and up in the mountains.
    That sounds like my dream set up, lol. Just maybe not in BC.
    East of the Rockies, and west of the rest!

  56. #56

  57. #57

    Default

    Dorkiest car on earth.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  58. #58
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
    Posts
    5,244

    Default

    Oversized three bay with a mezzanine for storage and high bay lighting. Insulated, heated and wired for 3⌀ power, Workbench area with a lift, overhead rolling gantry with a chainfall, big compressor with hard run lines throughout, TIG & oxy acetylene set, enough room I could do a collapsible paint booth if I wanted. Beer fridge, big TV and cool vintage stereo. A cubby with a separate overhead door for gardening stuff. Hopefully when I get back to BC I can build something like this.

    Now, what to put in it ?

    Luckily I already own one of my wish list cars, but with unlimited funds I'd drop a V-10 out of a BMW E60 M5 into the Volvo to give it just a little more oomph. Other stock to fill that garage could include an early 70's Datsun 280Z, an 84-85 Toyota Supra, an early 70's BMW 3.0 CS, a Benz 380SL for top down summer driving, A 1979 RX-7 and a late 70's Porsche 911. Oh yeah, and a Ferrari 308 if I had enough room
    Last edited by 240GLT; 18-05-2018 at 03:54 PM.
    Parkdale

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •