Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Premier Notley's Fourth Year

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    There’s pretty good odds that Jason Kenny will bring in a PST. The NDP have paved the way for it.
    There is absolutely no way that Kenney will bring in a PST. That's the third rail of Alberta politics, and after years of lambasting the "tax and spend" policies of the NDP (which are basically just carry overs from the previous PC government), he'd look like a total hypocrite to bring in a PST. When, not if, he wins the election he'll likely bring in some moderate cuts and cross his fingers that oil and natural gas prices do most of the job of balancing the budget. Highly unlikely he'll raise revenue in any significant way.

Don't get me wrong, I think that a PST makes a huge amount of sense for Alberta, and the irony of the UCP bringing one in would be delicious. I just don't see it happening.

I'd rather C2E than work!

We have a sales tax, it's called the carbon tax.

No thats actually a carbon taxes. Other provinces have both a sales tax and carbon tax. Some even have a federal and provincial sales tax

Great question. The Prime Minister should have his eye closely on both the Transmountain pipeline and NAFTA.

C2E SME

Oh look, another bozo eruption: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...cist-1.4813877

Quote Originally Posted by CBC
    "I apologize for any offence my old posts have caused," Ross said in a Facebook post on her official candidate page Thursday afternoon. "They certainly do not represent my views today."
    Yeah, not buying that. I don't think her comments were "racist", because religion is not a race, but they were certainly ignorant and bigoted. And given just how ignorant and bigoted they were, I have little doubt she absolutely should not be an elected official who represents "all" Albertans. Nor should she even be in the running for a nomination of a major party. And the UCP should realize that as well. She's "evolved"? What a load of crap.

Ross also said she had no recollection of writing the controversial post where she said she hated the idea of building an Islamic centre in Fort McMurray.
    So she's a liar, too. Did the dog eat her homework, as well?
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 07-09-2018 at 02:08 PM.

I've heard many religions be called a cult..oh, but this is Muslim, so that's a no no . Why?

I'm not religious, so there's that..

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Trudeau was here in Edmonton this week.

Since you mentoned "election mode" that may be, but as for Nafta, (not that I'm an expert or know anything) Trudeau is letting Freeland do her job in Washington.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Oh look, another bozo eruption: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...cist-1.4813877

"I apologize for any offence my old posts have caused," Ross said in a Facebook post on her official candidate page Thursday afternoon. "They certainly do not represent my views today."
    Yeah, not buying that. I don't think her comments were "racist", because religion is not a race, but they were certainly ignorant and bigoted. And given just how ignorant and bigoted they were, I have little doubt she absolutely should not be an elected official who represents "all" Albertans. Nor should she even be in the running for a nomination of a major party. And the UCP should realize that as well. She's "evolved"? What a load of crap.

Ross also said she had no recollection of writing the controversial post where she said she hated the idea of building an Islamic centre in Fort McMurray.
    So she's a liar, too. Did the dog eat her homework, as well?
    Actually, jailing a bank robber in a bank vault wouldn't be a bad idea. As long as you didn't let him out.

And I'm curious as to what harm she thought would come from building a mosque in "our greatest asset" Fort MacMurray specifically.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    And I'm curious as to what harm she thought would come from building a mosque in "our greatest asset" Fort MacMurray specifically.
    It's a pretty obvious implication: they're terrorists, and they'll attack the oil sands.

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    It's a pretty obvious implication: they're terrorists, and they'll attack the oil sands.
    Yeah, I know, my curiousity was largely rhetorical. If Muslim terrorists wanted to blow up the oil fields, I'm sure they could find a way of doing so without having to build a mosque in Fort McMurray.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    The NDP may very well lose the next election, and big time. But if they do, it's almost certainly not going to be because of a 10-year old speech that contradicts current party policy. It might be different if this had been released BEFORE the election, when people were more uncertain about what the NDP would be like in government, and Eggan's speech could be taken as a sign that they were secretly anti-oil. But the only people now believing that the Alberta NDP is secretly anti-oil are already in the Conservative camp.

And speaking of weak issues that might have beeb stronger under different circumstances...

UCP leader discovers there’s no affliction more persistent than an outbreak political theatrics in India

Given that he's already situated in a fairly strong position, I doubt this is likely to have much impact on Kenney's fortunes. But I guess we'll see what the Ethics Commissioner has to say.

"Kenney talked of how he will restore the Alberta Advantage by implementing sound economic policy, which he has been researching."

Glad he's been researching that. Maybe he can point us to the best wikipedia entries he's found.

"Kenney said if he becomes premier, he will establish a ministry to reduce red tape in Alberta."

Irony seems lost on him. Let's reduce bureaucracy by introducing more bureaucracy.

Kenny can get all his friends in the Sons Of Odin to staff it for him.

Meanwhile Notley is rabbiting on about nothing! She's so dim at times..

Yeah, UCP getting caught welcoming neo-nazi support. Nothing to see here. Move along.

It's not that they didn't know what SOO is. It's that they didn't expect the pictures to be made public.

Yup, they're "fine people".

Soldiers of Odin

Soldiers of Odin (SOO) is an anti-immigrant group founded in Kemi, Finland, in October 2015.[1][2] The group was established as a response to thousands of migrants arriving in Finland amid the European migrant crisis.[3]

SOO has denied claims of being a racist or neo-Nazi group in interviews and on their public Facebook page.[3] However, the group's founder, Mika Ranta, has connections to the far-right, neo-Nazi Nordic Resistance Movement[3] and a criminal conviction stemming from a racially motivated assault in 2005.[4][5] According to the Finnish public broadcaster Yle, a private Facebook page for selected members of SOO shows that racism and Nazi sympathies are rampant among higher-ranking members.[3] The group's nature has raised concerns of anti-immigrant vigilantism.[2]

In addition to Finland, affiliates of the group have a presence in Australia, Canada, Germany, Sweden, Estonia, the United States and the United Kingdom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldiers_of_Odin
    Last edited by kkozoriz; 11-10-2018 at 07:38 AM.

^ "It's not that they didn't know what SOO is. It's that they didn't expect the pictures to be made public."

Takes a deep kind of stupidity for the UCP to buy that in this day and age.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

The pictures were first posted on the web by SOO. Not a peep from the UCP. Pictures are taken from the SOO site and posted to the public. UCP denial and faux outrage.

I think it's a nothing burger, shouldn't Notley and gang be talking oh, pipelines?????..

I like the article , and seeing the stark contrast between them..

Yeah, a political party cozying up with Nazis and racists isn't something I would imagine would bother you too much. As long as it's YOUR political party.

And, believe it or not, Notley is capable of talking about more than one thing at a time. She doesn't have a one track mind. Meanwhile, Kenny just sits in the background, not wanting to get involved so his name isn't tied too closely to this. That's called cowardice. Not surprising since when he did address it he made the ridiculous claim that they could have been members of a baseball team.
    Last edited by kkozoriz; 11-10-2018 at 01:25 PM.

I prefer not to proclaim guilt by association, whether it's UCP candidates with these SOO losers or Justin with that crazy guy who brought his family to Afghanistan or his illiberal mosque appearances.
    There can only be one.

UCP contuing to play whack-a-mole with potential candidates.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...ldiers-of-odin

UCP disqualify candidate who defended photo with Soldiers of Odin

The United Conservative Party has disqualified a candidate seeking its Edmonton-West Henday nomination after he defended appearing in photos with members of the Soldiers of Odin.

UCP executive director Janice Harrington told candidate Lance Coulter in a Thursday letter that the party’s nominations committee disqualified him after reviewing transcripts of his comments about the event before and after a Wednesday night candidate forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    I prefer not to proclaim guilt by association, whether it's UCP candidates with these SOO losers or Justin with that crazy guy who brought his family to Afghanistan or his illiberal mosque appearances.
    Or the terrorist JT invited..hmm..right you are

Trudeau did not invite him, an MP did and the security people messed up big time.

But go ahead, try to make this about Trudeau and not about the UCP getting cozy with neo-Nazis. Which you have already said you have no problem with.

Maybe on Salt Spring Island you can build an economy on condos and coffee shops, but not in Edmonton and not anywhere in Alberta. Here in Alberta, we ride horses — not unicorns — and I invite pipeline opponents to saddle up on something that is real.

— Premier Notley
    Funny comment, though arguably of questionable appropriateness coming from the premier. (Yeah, yeah, I know influential people in BC make equivalent cracks about Alberta, but usually not the head of government).

And I'd be curious to know how these sorts of comments go down in Alberta. I would guess that the kind of person most amenable to that kind of oratory is gonna vote UCP, no matter what.

Globe And Mail

I fully support the Premier's depiction of the Unicorn riders and I wouldn't vote UCP if my life depended upon it because the Sons of Odin issues are there for all to see. I am a member now of the Alberta Party.

Interesting spot for Notley to be in - attacking the woman she had hired right after being elected. Where were those unicorns then?
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From YEG View Post
    I fully support the Premier's depiction of the Unicorn riders and I wouldn't vote UCP if my life depended upon it because the Sons of Odin issues are there for all to see. I am a member now of the Alberta Party.
    The AP may now be Alberta's only hope(and it could be a faint one) of being saved the embarrasment of a Sons Of Odin victory come next year. Assuming the NDP really is toast and UCP is doing as well as the polls indicate, holding Kenney to a minority might be the only saving outcome.

(Not that I would ever vote for the Alberta Party; lifelong NDP)

SOO is just another Lake of Fire bogeyman.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Interesting spot for Notley to be in - attacking the woman she had hired right after being elected. Where were those unicorns then?
    She hired her, now she's putting her down. These greenies found out,no pipelines no money!
    These idiots! One and done!

No way will any party get in, that doesn't cut the creepy carbon tax that does nothing at all for the environment. We are seeing this all over Canada..

Yeah, what do those Nobel prize winning economists know about things anyway?

Bill Nordhaus, The Nobel Prize, Climate Change And Carbon Taxes

Nordhaus has been writing for four decades about climate change and the value of using prices to reduce carbon emissions. His research shows that raising prices through, say, a carbon tax, is a far more effective and efficient way to lower carbon emissions than direct government controls on the quantity of emissions through, say, regulatory limits on cars and power plants. Higher prices will encourage firms and consumers to find alternatives to carbon-based products as well as encourage new technologies that will make those substitutes competitive. This has become the mainstream view among economists.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/howardg.../#608d00936a03

JT and co are dropping carbon tax, calling it a pollution tax..there is a reason they are doing that...lol.

C2E SME

Because it's pollution?

Because it's pollution?

No, that's not why they changed it, nice try

WTG Dougie.

Axing cap-and-trade creates $3B hole in Ford budget: FAO

The Doug Ford government’s bottom line will take a $3-billion hit over four years due to the cancellation of the cap-and-trade program, a new report from Ontario Financial Accountability Officer Peter Weltman projects.

Axing the program – a key election commitment for the premier – will reduce government revenues by $841 million this year, $615 million in 2019-20, $771 million in 2020-21, and $787 million in 2021-22.

“The deterioration in the government’s budget balance occurs because the loss of cap-and-trade revenues will exceed the savings from cancelling the related spending programs,” Weltman said Tuesday.

https://torontosun.com/news/provinci...ord-budget-fao

C2E Continued Contributor

Keith Gerein: Rise of political action committees a troubling trend for Alberta politics

According to the letter, Kenney promised a number of actions to the board should his party be elected: repealing labour legislation, asking for dealer input to “rebalance the playing field” between consumers and industry, and banning imported right-hand-drive Asian vehicles.
    Their concern is that the messaging from Shaping Alberta’s Future — and the letter from the dealers’ association — suggests there has been at least some teamwork between the UCP and the PAC.Wasyluk denies this. The UCP spokeswoman said the party and the PAC simply have similar interests, but did not specifically answer if there has been any collaboration.
    For me, the evidence isn’t clear enough to say one way or another at this point.
    Generally, however, I think the rise of PACs is a troubling trend, in part because such groups are not always accountable for messaging that is, shall we say, less than entirely truthful.
    Link to the letter: http://myautonews.ca/mda/DealerLetter.pdf

Following this incident

Alberta NDP seeks Investigation Third Parties

The Alberta NDP has written to the Election Commissioner seeking investigation into possible violations of the Election Finances and Contributions Disclosure Act by Jason Kenney, the United Conservative Party, a third-party Political Action Committee called “Shaping Alberta’s Future”, and a third-party association, the Motor Dealers’ Association of Alberta (MDA).

Hmm, the ethics committee cleared Jason Kenney AND warned the NDP..LOL

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...-investigation

All the NDP has left is rage and anger, such a pity..
    Last edited by H.L.; 23-10-2018 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
    Keith Gerein: Rise of political action committees a troubling trend for Alberta politics

According to the letter, Kenney promised a number of actions to the board should his party be elected: repealing labour legislation, asking for dealer input to “rebalance the playing field” between consumers and industry, and banning imported right-hand-drive Asian vehicles.
    Their concern is that the messaging from Shaping Alberta’s Future — and the letter from the dealers’ association — suggests there has been at least some teamwork between the UCP and the PAC.Wasyluk denies this. The UCP spokeswoman said the party and the PAC simply have similar interests, but did not specifically answer if there has been any collaboration.
    For me, the evidence isn’t clear enough to say one way or another at this point.
    Generally, however, I think the rise of PACs is a troubling trend, in part because such groups are not always accountable for messaging that is, shall we say, less than entirely truthful.

Following this incident

The Alberta NDP has written to the Election Commissioner seeking investigation into possible violations of the Election Finances and Contributions Disclosure Act by Jason Kenney, the United Conservative Party, a third-party Political Action Committee called “Shaping Alberta’s Future”, and a third-party association, the Motor Dealers’ Association of Alberta (MDA).
    I hate these non voting, non-human-entities-controlled-by-select-humans (like unions, businesses, investment groups, associations, non-profits, newspaper editorial boards, pacs, etc.) trying to influence voter choices. They just enable the few people in control to leverage their own vested interests and so their political influence over the relatively powerless citizen voters.

I’m curious. Do union leadership, pac presidents, marketing staff, etc even have to be resident voters or can they be from foreign jurisdictions?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

that’s like saying all the donald has left is empathy, compassion and honesty..
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Continued Contributor

That was a completely different situation. Not sure how it's relevant to this one.

That was a completely different situation. Not sure how it's relevant to this one.
    Because there was nothing untoward found about your posts either it was on the news last night..
    Is that what the nDP are doing now, just trying to find something Jason is doing wrong, how about they run this damn province and not into the ground!

Following this incident

Nothingburger, its a loophole the NDP set in place..okay I shouldn't laugh as hard as I am..

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^Disgruntled back benchers.

Robyn Luff might have a point though. Its not like the party is imploding.

C2E SME

This person is obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer, given their complaints. Welcome to party politics. Did she think she was a US senator or something?

Nice to see that while she refuses to sit in the legislature, she is all too happy to keep collecting her pay cheque until May.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    ^Disgruntled back benchers.

Robyn Luff might have a point though. Its not like the party is imploding.
    Where there is smoke, there could be fire. I'm not going to say the dippers are imploding, but the way they all rushed out to deny deny deny, made me chuckle

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

This person is obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer, given their complaints. Welcome to party politics. Did she think she was a US senator or something?

Nice to see that while she refuses to sit in the legislature, she is all too happy to keep collecting her pay cheque until May.
    Not sure if I heard this corectly but didn't she say she would run as an independent?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I heard she was sitting as an independant, and won't run again.
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I heard she was sitting as an independant, and won't run again.
    That sounds about right, thanks.

C2E SME

Yes, she's sitting on the seat and not doing her job for the next 6+ months because she apparently ran for political office without knowing a thing about our parliamentary system or how political parties operate within it. She should resign immediately so that her constituents can choose someone who can actually effectively represent them.

She sounds like a fruit loop, how fitting.lol

Toxic, bullying. Boy the NDP are showing their true colours of late..lol
    I'm enjoying all the rats jumping ship, and what's this about Singh..

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

It reeks of arrogance but does anyone else ever notice Notley's smug two faced smile besides me when the camera is on her?

Other wise, I think she's doing a good job.

It reeks of arrogance but does anyone else ever notice Notley's smug two faced smile besides me when the camera is on her?

Other wise, I think she's doing a good job.
    My husband said something about her fake/smug smile. Two women have complained.
    I think she's [email protected]

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Thanks H.L.

I don't know if she's crap. I've never seen an insincere fake smile even out of Jan Reimer and I liked Jan when she was Mayor here. But this woman looks like she's smiling out of her @$$.

Otherwise, I like most of what she's doing.

Thanks H.L.

I don't know if she's crap. I've never seen an insincere fake smile even out of Jan Reimer and I liked Jan when she was Mayor here. But this woman looks like she's smiling out of her @$$.

Otherwise, I like most of what she's doing.
    Well, we agree to disgree, I'll just be happy to see and her snotty caucus , out!

The first time I heard anyone say they liked Jan Reimer. Didn’t she kind of cripple this town while she was in power?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I think Jan Reimer was a supporter of the Oilers as much as some people thought she wasn't. I agreed with her about her annexation feelings. As I look to Wikipedia for a refresher, there was a lot I didn't know about her, like changing the title of Alderman to Councilor. Changing the Ward system along with Ron Hayter from 6 -12 Wards was her idea I believe.
    Last edited by envaneo; 10-11-2018 at 03:16 AM.

I think Jan Reimer was a supporter of the Oilers as much as some people thought she wasn't.
    Reimer was also a supporter of closing the Muni. But over the years, you'd hear anecdotes about business people telling Reimer "Get rid of the downtown airport!" when explaining why they were pulling their companies out of Edmonton, which made it sound as if she was an opponent.

And yeah, the Oilers thing, my God. I remember wearing a Jan Reimer button at a Whyte Avenue bar in the 90s some time, and a guy sees it and says "anti-sports [female canine]!" I honestly don't know enough about the issue to know what she didn't do but could have done to appease Pocklington, but in any case, the Oilers never left anyway, so Ho Harm No Foul, I'd say.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ I wasn't really a supporter of hers at the time. She was certainly a forward thinker as a Mayor not saying Don isn't. I never vote NDP but Notley is doing a good job despite a few hic ups along the way, Bill 6, Keephills, otherwise, yeah I hope she continues the course. I don't see anyone I like Provincially speaking. I don't like Kenney rubs me the wrong way. Notley was born here.

I like your last phrase to your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    The first time I heard anyone say they liked Jan Reimer. Didn’t she kind of cripple this town while she was in power?
    I don't know how she ever became mayor, she's doing a lot of good now, but as a mayor, she was about as popular as Iverson is..oh, and Notley...

Nah. That would be Ralph Klein and the massive budget cuts that started after the 1993 provincial election.

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    Nah. That would be Ralph Klein and the massive budget cuts that started after the 1993 provincial election.
    I'll take that , over the HUGE debt the left leaves us in!

I don't know how she ever became mayor, she's doing a lot of good now, but as a mayor, she was about as popular as Iverson is..oh, and Notley...
    I think Iveson is a lot more popular than Notley. In 2013, he got 62% of the vote, and in 2017, he got 73%. Granted, there don't seem to have been any serious challegers the second time, but that might tell us something about his popularity.

Have his numbers taken a nosedive since last year?

Yeah she was so unpopular that she was elected Alderman three times and mayor twice. Obviously she must have cheated. </Snark>

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

JR's post political life is stellar. She made a huge impact on our community that will last well into the future. If Reimer ever got into political life again, I'd break my own rules and vote NDP in a heart beat. She's one of the good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Yeah she was so unpopular that she was elected Alderman three times and mayor twice. Obviously she must have cheated. </Snark>
    Kinda like Iverson, who is a doofus.*.snark!*

Says the one who's favoured party is so riddled with White Supremacists, neo-Nazis and antisemites that that dear leader is now establishing a database to keep track of them all.

Says the one who's favoured party is so riddled with White Supremacists, neo-Nazis and antisemites that that dear leader is now establishing a database to keep track of them all.
    Riddled, you're not prone to exaggeration are you. No, really, you're not.
    Rofl..look things up before posting!

Like cockroaches. When you see one, you know there's more.

Riddled, you're not prone to exaggeration are you. No, really, you're not.
    Rofl..look things up before posting!
    riddled: (adjective) containing a lot of things that are bad or not wanted

Seems like an apt use of the term to me. Here's the latest example: UCP member John Carpay equating the rainbow flag to the swastika.

https://twitter.com/kylemmorrow/stat...22952070213632

Yeah that riddled alright.LOL

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...mla-robyn-luff

Tsk tsk dippers, not good..

Our next premier, has his own thread btw..
    Last edited by H.L.; 11-11-2018 at 10:41 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123