Thread: Famous Spanish street artist courted to paint Edmonton's biggest mural

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Famous Spanish street artist courted to paint Edmonton's biggest mural

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...714025?cmp=rss

If two Edmonton art lovers get their way, a homely brick facade near Whyte Avenue will become a blank canvas for renowned Spanish street artist Okuda San Miguel.

Michael Maxxis and Fish Griwkowsky have launched a $40,000 crowdfunding campaign for a six-storey mural in Old Strathcona.

If the project is successful, a currently neglected corner of the Crawford Block annex on Whyte Avenue and Gateway Boulevard would become the face of the neighbourhood, Maxxis said.

At 1,400 sq. feet, it would be the biggest mural in the city.

"Big pieces of art like this inspire people," Maxxis said in an interview with CBC Radio's Edmonton AM. "I think it will have a big impact."
    GoFundMe page is here:
    https://www.gofundme.com/imagineokud...GqTj72tBPVcjOK
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

The same Fish Grikowsky who bemoans the lack of support for *local* artists?

I am sure that there are local artists that can do the job. Support local artists

My sister was commissioned decades ago to do the mural on the walls behind the old downtown City Market on 97th street. 53°32'38.43" N 113°29'06.82" W
    She had so little funding that she made less than minimum wage and had to use the donated paint colors. No big budget Spanish artist salary
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Instead of praise for such an initiative - they get immediate criticism.

If they took the initiative to start this project shouldn’t they get to pursue it without such “buy local” interference? Is there another reason why this type of artwork hasn’t already been created on this spot or some other similar spot by local artists?

In an interview on CBC radio yesterday one of the guys behind this said something to the effect that: “if we expect Edmonton artists should be able to show the world their talents, should other artists be able to do that here...” (it was actually said far better than I can do it justice now.)

You could compare this to famous architects. Had Frank Lloyd Wright built a noteworthy structure in Edmonton it would likely still be putting us ‘on the map’ decades later as such famous design is widely valued. So, as this artist is world famous it would potentially be a big lasting benefit to Edmonton with a relatively minor outlay of funds.

Found the interview. It was very interesting!

CBC Listen | Edmonton AM | A new mural for Old Strathcona

A new mural for Old Strathcona. Jun 20, 2018

Two Edmontonians want your help funding a six-storey mural in Old Strathcona.

http://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/edmon...gment/15551754

“Should Edmonton artists be allowed to make art somewhere else?”
    Last edited by KC; 21-06-2018 at 08:42 AM.

Would you say the same if they hired American mural artist Scott LoBaido?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    If it was their project, their initiative, and donors knew what they were getting then why not. If it potentially challenges community standards, there are likely bylaws and other City powers to deal with unusual murals.

However, it’s always nice when locals get hired and I usually think we’ve either got the local skills and talent or could develop it locally. Nonetheless, in all fields, in art, in science, in medicine, in research, there are people that somehow outshine most others and so we are usually thrilled if not honoured to have them come to our city to work.

We have local architects yet haven’t we gone outside the city to get buildings etc designed? We then get to benefit from their talent long after they are gone.

Eg
    The Blatchford development - Perkins + Will and CIVITAS - local designers? No. They were from Vancouver
    Last edited by KC; 21-06-2018 at 09:01 AM.

I based my comment after having encountered numerous other instances of Fish bemoaning the lack of support for local talent. I also listened to the interview, and the rationale was presented breezily enough. But I get it, it’s his joint, he likes the artist and ...yeah. It’s not a problem, this time.
    Last edited by Dialog; 21-06-2018 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Duplicate word

I'd rather C2E than work!

Never heard of this artist before the mural was announced, but after seeing his art I'm excited for it on the building. I also really like the mural that was done on the Varscona theater. I was also annoyed that the hand on Track & Trail was vandalized, then painted over (the bottom, only). We have some really cool murals in Edmonton, but I think this has the opportunity to be one of the most-seen. I have no problem that he's from Spain and not Edmonton.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    If it was their project, their initiative, and donors knew what they were getting then why not. If it potentially challenges community standards, there are likely bylaws and other City powers to deal with unusual murals.

However, it’s always nice when locals get hired and I usually think we’ve either got the local skills and talent or could develop it locally. Nonetheless, in all fields, in art, in science, in medicine, in research, there are people that somehow outshine most others and so we are usually thrilled if not honoured to have them come to our city to work.

We have local architects yet haven’t we gone outside the city to get buildings etc designed? We then get to benefit from their talent long after they are gone.

Eg
    The Blatchford development - Perkins + Will and CIVITAS - local designers? No. They were from Vancouver
    i'm not sure blatchford is the example you want to use here...

that was an international design competition and the winner was selected from a short-list of three based on the quality of the submission, not the postal code of the designer. it's also worth noting that there was always "local" talent on the team. it's also worth noting that perkins + wills has not been involved with the project for some time and that many of the changes to the design and the direction were - for better or worse - made by local talent.

in terms of the competition (and to the same degree in the selection of consultants generally) it's no different than edmonton firms bidding successfully on work outside of edmonton - the doors have to open in both directions and the resultant raising of the bar should be good for everyone.

while you are correct in your comment that "it's always nice when locals get hired", when they are it should be based on their skills and their talent, not their postal code. we have a large and deep talent pool here but that doesn't mean they should be entitled to all the work there is here any more than they should be precluded from successfully exercising their skills and their talent in vancouver or toronto or long beach or mumbai...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Awesome. I contributed a bit of money towards it, and it's great to know that the excess money will be going to Rust Magic, a street art festival in the city.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Progress thus far

Thanks for posting the photo, SDM!

First One is Always Free

Progress today. It's likely going to be finished tonight. https://www.instagram.com/p/BlTuaNKD...agged=okudayeg
    Unveiling party is this Saturday https://www.facebook.com/events/449081012224763/

C2E SME

Wow! Looks great!
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Does look great, we are getting a really nice collection of these murals, adds a lot to the neighbourhoods.

I can't believe how quickly that went up.

Came up on twitter but wiped out from feed upon next try

Beautiful but blatantly sexist... LOL

Looks boss. Great to see in Edmonton!
    You never see a cartoon coyote wear a swimsuit before?

Wouldn't mind something this size on the back of the Strathcona Professional building behind the Commercial Hotel.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

100 grand for a dog with tits...
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    100 grand for a dog with tits...
    I can speak from experience that ‘boring’, ‘dutiful’, ‘conventional’ didn’t make me rich. For not much money, this guy is leaving us here in Edmonton something that is very different, bright and fun and obviously controversial, plus it may pay off in unexpectedly wonderful ways.

I’m also glad the guy and his team came here when we had nice weather. That may gain us some tourism brownie points if they are travelling the world and hopefully talking about us.

We got art that we’ll be keeping and we certainly won’t be washing it down the drain tonight. Now this below is a case of people everywhere (God knows why) shipping out their hard earned income and getting little of lasting value back:

Self-made billionaire or not, Kylie Jenner really is an economic phenomenon | The Independent

I admit I was sceptical. Yet the consensus of financial analysts I consulted is that, assuming the $330m a year sales figure for Kylie Cosmetics is accurate, it’s not unreasonable to value the brand at around $800m.

Mature companies are generally valued on a multiple of profits, rather than turnover. But for fast-growing, young companies (and Kylie Cosmetics was only established two years ago) it’s normal for top-line sales to be used.

Sports stars receive vast amounts of money in sponsorship deals, earning far more from image rights than salaries or tournament fees. And one can now become a dollar billionaire in two years from selling makeup on the back of being “famous for being famous”.

The economics makes sense. What such trends say about the state of our society is, of course, another matter.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a8447636.html
    Last edited by KC; Today at 06:03 PM.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

There's been some interesting discussions around whether this piece "crosses a line or not".

Which begs the question, “Are there certain lines not meant to be crossed by artists?” Absolutelynot... maybe... sometimes..,

I would be surprised if you asked that question ofany artist regarding their work and the answer was anything but "no, absolutelynot". I would be surprised if you askedthat of any person regarding the art in their living room or their bedroom andthe answer was anything but "yes, absolutely and I know exactly where it is(even if it’s not the same line for both spaces)".

So outside of one’s own personal space, ifthere is going to be a line, who gets to draw it? The artist? The owner of the space? The userof that particular room/space? Theperson purchasing the art? Those who aregoing to view it by choice? Those whocan’t help but view it? Art, and ourperception of art, is a very personal thing and it’s a personal thing that is virtuallyguaranteed not to be consistent in its forms or our reactions to it or its placeor time. The only thing I think I’m sureof is there may not be any single right or wrong answer to the question and theonly arbiter we should be able to impose is appropriateness of location, notappropriateness of the art itself.

Bythat, I mean that in a gallery both the artist and the viewer have a choice asto whether to be there or not and can make that choice prior to the encounter. The lines might be different than those usedto select public art for a neighborhood rec centre or school than for auniversity or museum. The lines might bedifferent for someone’s bedroom or living room and their front yard. Is there “a line” that this piece crossed andshouldn’t have given all of the above? Idon’t know.

I also don’t know if I’m theperson that should be drawing that line or even if I know who should be drawingit if not me. I also don’t know if thoseinsisting that they be the arbiter are really any more qualified than I am todecide for everyone else but in my experience personal experience might be oneof the things a good arbiter needs to set aside, just as a good arbiter needsto be able to differentiate between the artist and the art. Should Richard Wagner’s anti-semitism abolishany performance of his operas? Was theportrait of Adele Block-Bauer less beautiful those years it was stolen?. Did Jerry Lee Lewis’ marriage choicesinvalidate his music as suitable to listen to? Don’t ask me – I’m much better at posing than answering.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I was just pulling the politically correct chain.

I like the mural.

If you go to Europe thee are a lot of bare breasts and full frontal nudity even on the Sistine Chapel.

People srd do uptight these days.

It's neat that it's tall enough to become part of the south-side skyline. A bonus that it faces north so will get less sun-baked. What's the maintenance deal on a mural like this?
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

A women that looks like a dog? In Edmonton? Never. It’s kind of weird. At least Gateway is one way and nobody will see it unless they happen to look in their mirror just then and maybe see it. I would prefer a regular picture or scene but it is colourful.
    Last edited by Drumbones; Today at 07:50 PM.