Thread: Heritage Festival 2018

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Heritage Festival 2018

How's the Heritage Festival this year?
    I want to go and I have a few sheets of foodie tickets ready, but this bloody weather ffs...
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Here's my take on this year's Heritage Festival, which I attended this afternoon.

• $6 for an ETS bus ride, which is ridiculous! Good thing I'm close enough to bike.
    • New temp fencing was erected throughout - this allowed for more of a Habitrail feel through the park.
    • Bike parking was moved. Had to get a couple of folks to help me and my bike over the Habitrail fence rather than take a roundabout route to the entrance.
    • Food was more ethnic, with less honkified cuisine. Eritrea wins it for me every time! Peru also won with their steak sammich.
    • Lack of waste disposal at many points. Heritage Festival consistently fails in this matter.
    • Took in some performances, which were about the same as before. Main difference is that the Japanese drum troupe was missing the Yes fan with the long hair and beard.
    • MaKami College offered free massages - the lineup was long but moved quickly.
    • Spent most of my tix on food, the rest went to the Food Bank.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Seems to be massive confusion on the ETS fare. Some sources are describing it as round trip fare. Others as one way. Checked ETS and it is round trip fare, not one way. You get a free bus home I guess.

https://www.edmonton.ca/ets/heritage-festival.aspx

haven't checked out the festival yet this year and might not. Last year was a bussing gongshow.

What is a habitrail? Not getting what you mean by the park temp fencing.

Anybody been there that can describe what is going on with the fencing? Not interested if they make it even harder to get around that massive amount of humanity.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

So you get a round trip for $6 instead of the usual fare of $6.50 and this is somehow a bad thing? Apparently I'm missing something.

Couple of corrections and clarifications:
    $6 ETS trip is for a round-trip, not one-way. My bad.
    Habitrail is an elaborate hamster cage, which is an exaggeration of the park - it's more like a rat maze.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    So you get a round trip for $6 instead of the usual fare of $6.50 and this is somehow a bad thing? Apparently I'm missing something.
    ETS does not make change. Nor do the transit police standing there explain the rules trying to make people move along now. Better to go with a nice round $5.
    ETS does not allow tap debit/credit.
    ETS fare machines at LRT stations STILL do not take debit/credit cards.
    ETS fare machines at LRT stations STILL do not sell monthly passes.

But enough of ETS. We all know ETS sucks in this city and can only hope it won't suck after the massive routes changes happen.

The fencing...I'm confused. Why was that even necessary?
    The tickets and food products were expensive. If this is the one outing a month for a single parent family on income supports...forget it.
    $4 for pop? $3 for bottle water? Come on! Gasoline is $1.35 a litre. Bottled water more expansive than gasoline?

Did not see a beer or wine garden.
    Ukraine and Germany both had no alcohol beer for $6.
    France would have done well with wine and cheese, but you know AGLC still thinks this is the 1920s.

But don't get me wrong, the dancing! Oh the Lebanese dancers

The Chinese Lion dances. India! Ethiopia! Azerbajian! Ukraine! even Croatia.

What I really liked was Edmonton Airports had signs installed in front of some pavilions telling people the shortest amount of hours it takes to get there from Edmonton, and through what city you would connect.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^The Heritage Festival has been alcohol free since its inception. So that should not come as a surprise to anyone. Nothing to do with the AGLC, but rather the decision of the festival organizers to preserve a family friendly vibe.

The thing I love most about the Heritage Festival is that it is the only one where those attending accurately reflect Edmonton's cultural, racial and ethnic makeup.

My wife and I attended today. I thought ETS did a decent job considering the massive crowds that have to be safely taken to and from the festival site. The $6 return fare (or two transit tickets) paid when departing for the festival made for quicker loading on the return trip as they were able to board people through both sets of bus doors.

Edmonton Heritage Festival attendance short of last year's record

It wasn't enough to shatter last year's record-breaking attendance, but an estimated 345,000 people stopped by Hawrelak Park for the Edmonton Heritage Festival over the long weekend.
    Jim Gibbon, executive director of the Heritage Festival Association, said the attendance likely ranks in the top three in festival history.
    The festival drew 350,000 in a single Sunday last year.
    "Last year we had such an insane record," he said. "So it's going to be years before we break that."
    The festival was dogged by traffic issues at the gate last year, with buses in gridlock as they waited to drop passengers at the grounds. This year, buses had a dedicated lane into the park and a terminal to ease congestion.
    "It worked astonishingly well," Gibbon said. "I'm hoping we carry on with that for years and years in the future."
    The festival was also able to ease foot traffic in the festival grounds by opening up a middle section of the park that had gone unused in years past. The decision created roughly 25 per cent more space and housed four new tents, as well as the festival's first solar farm.
    Gibbon said there could be more solar panels in years to come as the festival works toward becoming a net-zero power consumer.
    He also said attendees might be able to get to the festival by water taxi next year as a dock is expected to be installed at the park in the fall.
    The number of people walking and biking to the festival was more than in years past as well, Gibbon said. Organizers have quadrupled the number of bike racks on the grounds over the past two years.
    "They were packed again, so my guess is next year we'll have to double or triple them," he said.

One of the rare years we didn't go. In a sense last years record resulting in a lot of people not wanting to revisit gonzo Sunday experience last year and two hour bus rides. With the road construction, heat, and increased prices of the food we just opted out this year. Had a very enjoyable day outside, no lineups for food, not paying copious amounts for it. no baking on busses for hours.

This year the Korean tent listed 10 buck bulgogi. Used to be a value, now its this kind of price for a small plate, mostly rice, no veggies and not particularly well done.

Tomorrow we might hit up Bulgogi house where Entrees (enough for two) cost 14-15bucks and rice, Bean sprouts, kimchee sides all free of charge. Really its ridiculous but one entrée is enough for two of us, two is far too much. Should I mention the Korean food is excellent there?

Heritage festival is a great thing but they need to work on the visitor experience a bit. Also the website is awful. for two weeks we heard there was a new World performance tent (one that would feature various entertainment which formerly took place at the Amphitheater (not sure why its not hosting the performance now as its a great venue and was the favorite thing at the Festival imo) But no listing of this anywhere on the map, no listing of schedule of entertainment or anything. The website was the worst information I'd ever seen. Basically you'd be going blind if you happen to like the artistic feature of the festival as ZERO information on schedules or timetables of entertainment were provided. Nothing. In this day and age online why do I have to show up to see the schedule of performance events. Just friggen ridiculous. The website is beyond useless.

Next, zero information on food sensitivity on menu listing and even the more detailed listing. This is 2018, get with the program. Is this festival always going to be stuck in 1970's?

Last complaint is that Meadows park and ride does not serve the much larger area of Millwoods at all. Should I have to drive 10 miles one way to get to the Davies City lot to access park and ride? What ****** service. Any football game has Park and ride right at MWTC. Why can't they do that for Heritage festival? The meadows park and ride lot can't handle the capacity. its nearly always full during this event. Get it together ETS.
    Last edited by Replacement; 06-08-2018 at 11:02 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Some really valid points, comes across a little less constructive though. Given them, why don't you get involved with the festival to help improve it or work with those involved to address things many others likely had similar issues with.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Some really valid points, comes across a little less constructive though. Given them, why don't you get involved with the festival to help improve it or work with those involved to address things many others likely had similar issues with.
    I have been involved prior Ian as a volunteer. The closer one gets to the Heritage Festival the more one tends to realize some insular running of it. Resistant to change, resistant to trying new things, but many that have been around the festival since its inception feel that its gone away from putting a priority to a cultural exposure, performance, sharing those aspects, and putting more on nuked meat on a stick. Basically now its food and sales of clothing and other sundries. The performance side has continually ebbed. That the website is not even listing performance times anymore and that the guide didn't either is unfortunate.

One of the key points of the festival when it started was allowing exposure to top performance. Now many of the stages have taped music blaring and some people in street clothes dancing around to some random dance. Some still put on a good show but when one nation is trying to play actual music, or do tapdancing, drumming, etc, and another venue is playing rap at volume 11 blasting through the park its not sharing the venue very well. This being another increasing problem.

That said what always gets stated is the Heritage Festival is very popular and they got it right. They used to get it right. They're dropping some of what made it great. This is kind of feeling like when Klondike Days turned into soul less Capital Ex. Without sharing performance and culture to the same degree as food and wares it kind of sullies what it is. It just becomes a commercial fair and making a buck.

Feedback to the organizers is important.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Tomorrow we might hit up Bulgogi house where Entrees (enough for two) cost 14-15bucks and rice, Bean sprouts, kimchee sides all free of charge. Really its ridiculous but one entrée is enough for two of us, two is far too much. Should I mention the Korean food is excellent there?

Don't forget to pop into Duggan's and buy Top_Dawg a coupla beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Don't forget to pop into Duggan's and buy Top_Dawg a coupla beer.

Last time I went into that place it was Frog and ribbit something and I was unknowingly drinking hitest 7-9% beers. I remember the first two hours, lets just say..

C2E SME
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    City administration really seem to have issues with optics.

They gave them very liittle time, WTH?

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    They gave them very liittle time, WTH?
    “We have tried for two years to convince the city to let us keep our building — which, to reiterate, we built and paid for — but they sent us a final eviction notice for removal from our site,” Gibbon said.
    Granted the eviction notice only gave them a few weeks, but they knew that this was happening for a long time. Not saying it's right. Just saying they've had time to try to make alternate arrangements.

Pretty ridiculous news. Not only how this impacts Heritage Festival but the others, and events at the park.

Real bs too for them to lay down the hammer and come with the eviction notice just as tarps and tents are being taken down. Just as the festival wound up.

The city needs to disclose more on why this is deemed necessary. What are the safety issues, what is actually occurring. lol at the city offering of the Quonset for storage for rental.

If there is a safety problem with the current facility than engage in building a new proper facility for a heavily used park that houses so many festivals and events. The city wants vibrancy, but Hawrelak park isn't located DT so it can just screw off apparently. Use this sorry *** Quonset. my lord.

The trouble with Municipal democracy is we only get to vote in a Counselors and Mayor every turn. We have no ability to impact the Civic administration of this city which makes mind numbing stupid decisions nearly every week.

Finally, this is a volunteer event, with massive amounts of equipment. This is not some small amount of stuff to throw into a moving truck. The City is giving a two week eviction notice that would involve MASSIVE moving of the infrastructure and trying to find some other place to house it. Which, being that it will be offsite will then involve trucking of stuff in and out of the park several times per year. So stupid. BUILD a damn storage facility if the current one is unsafe.

Well , the mayor is ****** off. Linda Cochrane has been in that job too long!

Iveson regarding the "boneheaded decisions" by city management;

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...ble-don-iveson

I'm not an Iveson fan but this could be his best moment as Mayor of Edmonton. His most critical one too. I called this as a City admin issue, as was the park bench groaner right away. This is a Civic administration that is REPREHENSIBLE. In Ivesons words;

“There have been a number of other head-scratching decisions from our administration which, I think, needs a kick in the rear end and a reminder that we’re all here to serve Edmontonians, to make conditions better for families, households and businesses.”

Lets be clear here too. This was a Civic administration gone full rogue decision. This was a deliberation that had been ongoing for 2years and to give two weeks notice of eviction while the Mayor is on holiday and council is not in session. What need was there for the civic admin to make this decision, this major decision in council absentia? This is a decision fundamentally impacting our biggest Summer festival, our biggest Winter festival and several other festivals, world events and hostings. This is the busiest and most important Civic park in Canada between Montreal and Vancouver. Its a hotbed of activity all year round and requires this storage facility. This was by no means a minor administrative decision. This was huge and something that certainly should have been decided by council.

I'm flabbergasted what it must feel like to be the mayor of one of the most important and upcoming cities in Canada, to come back from holiday to this series of admin decisions. Really my condolences to Iveson that he's been having to run with such dunces even years after already cleaning up shop. This civic administration is wrecked. We get these indications several times a year and have been for years. From multimillion buck contract awards to friends to nonstop bonehead decisions this is rogue administration. Blow it up.

"Iveson said he’s still trying to understand why this decision was made, but is committed to working with the Heritage Festival to find a solution. The festival is a key part of the community and city officials should be helping the volunteers and staff who run it, not throwing up roadblocks"

Add to everything the unnecessary Police presence at the Folk Festival last night. More will be coming in that regard.

The eviction is now on hold.
    See, if enough people get angry then the city finally listens!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    The eviction is now on hold.
    See, if enough people get angry then the city finally listens!
    True!

They have sent things all over the province though, now they have to get it back!
    All this for three days in August, and a safe building, we really do have some idiots in charge!

Iveson said he’s still trying to understand why this decision was made, but is committed to working with the Heritage Festival to find a solution. The festival is a key part of the community and city officials should be helping the volunteers and staff who run it, not throwing up roadblocks"
    Good! It seems pretty obvious, to anyone with common sense.
    Last edited by H.L.; 10-08-2018 at 09:32 AM.

Just about everything this city admin does is bush league.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From YEG View Post
    Add to everything the unnecessary Police presence at the Folk Festival last night. More will be coming in that regard.
    Police presence, parking ticketing derby, neighborhood rage at anybody that would park anywhere in the community on the street. Seems like the new normal is much response to nothing. What on Earth issues come up requiring tons of police at a Folk Festival. Is Buffy still inspiring that kind of police unrest? She was on the FBI hitlist for decades. Even when she had retired for a couple of decades. Just being tongue and cheek with that. But why are police there in such numbers?

Do they need to bust more people for petty possession charges before October? Trying to meet another quota?

C2E SME

I would imagine it has more to do with an attack on the festival akin to the one on Commonwealth last year than any other "issues".

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    I would imagine it has more to do with an attack on the festival akin to the one on Commonwealth last year than any other "issues".
    Right, I'd not thought that Folk Festival would be target to such thing but anything could. Its sad that is the reality now. No such thing now really as a guaranteed peaceful event.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post

Yes, I had not thought of that.

I would like to see the Heritage Festival set up on university lands by south campus station. They have whole quarter sections of land there with an LRT station included. Better for everybody. Set up after the hay is baled up. lol. As for the Folk Fest it needs to stay where it is, but you never know maybe moving it away from the city centre would calm some of their fears.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 10-08-2018 at 02:44 PM.