Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: motorcycle noise - it's getting worse

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Where are you folks living that you hear "it’s one and then another and another and another and another all day - and all night - long"? I lived just off Whyte, with a view of the Tim's from my balcony, and even then I didn't hear bikes "all day - and all night long" even in the summer.

If such a place actually exists in Edmonton, you really oughtta be calling authorities.
    Thanks for this Spudly. One would think it's the Edmonton Toy Run every single day of the week starting in March and going to November.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Where are you folks living that you hear "it’s one and then another and another and another and another all day - and all night - long"? I lived just off Whyte, with a view of the Tim's from my balcony, and even then I didn't hear bikes "all day - and all night long" even in the summer.

If such a place actually exists in Edmonton, you really oughtta be calling authorities.
    we’re in riverdale and “the authorities” were aware enough of the “club cruises” that they ran several ticketing events last year. the “another and another” however comes from 98th avenue where there seems to be some sort of bikers’ love affair with the hill where there is no curb lane or cross street to facilitate enforcement so the pipes broadcast to their owners’ heart’s content as they gun it up the hill and the bank focuses and echoes it up and down and across the river valley.
    Funny that you mention 98th Avenue. Back in 2007, the wife and I were looking at a home for sale one saturday afternoon at the traffic circle on 98th in Forest Heights. When we walked up the sidewalk, as a loud motorcycle went around the circle. While touring the beautiful home, we hear another loud motorcycle on the circle. And a minute later, another. Go into the back yard and we hear a pair of motorcycles and as I look over the fence I can see the two riders go one and a half times around the circle and blast down 98th and into the valley. We loved the home but the motorcycles literally killed the deal.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

In my case, it's on 109th Street heading towards High Level Bridge. I don't mind most motorcycles that are in normal transportation mode. But the real idiots *start* their adventure after midnight every warm summer night (when I would like to have my windows open but can't because of them) and continue until about 3 or 4 am. They apparently like racing down the street when normal civilian traffic has gone to bed.

Sometimes there are groups of twenty to thirty. And some of them like to do their thing on the bridge over the trolley tracks on 99th Ave. I think they can get airborne over the hump and this is great fun. It's also right beside my bed room window.

This includes week nights.

And yes, I've heard the comments about people mowing lawns, etc. But those people don't do that between midnight and 4am. And, yes, I am planning to move to an address that's at least a block away from all this.

ThomasH says that you are just making this up and the noise is only temporary. ...

As in March to October
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 18-03-2019 at 06:46 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    In my case, it's on 109th Street heading towards High Level Bridge. I don't mind most motorcycles that are in normal transportation mode. But the real idiots *start* their adventure after midnight every warm summer night (when I would like to have my windows open but can't because of them) and continue until about 3 or 4 am. They apparently like racing down the street when normal civilian traffic has gone to bed.

Sometimes there are groups of twenty to thirty. And some of them like to do their thing on the bridge over the trolley tracks on 99th Ave. I think they can get airborne over the hump and this is great fun. It's also right beside my bed room window.

This includes week nights.

And yes, I've heard the comments about people mowing lawns, etc. But those people don't do that between midnight and 4am. And, yes, I am planning to move to an address that's at least a block away from all this.
    Just wanted to chime on my experience with this as well. I used to live on the east side of Jasper Ave, close to Westin and the intersection of 100 St. (towards McDougall Hill). I can concur, this was definitely most frequent during 3 AM when they would all get together and start racing in the area. I lived on the 15th floor as well, with windows closed (unfortunately still faced Jasper Ave). I'm a fairly deep sleeper but was often disrupted during weeknights by their activity. Even ones far away tended to echo horribly around the area. Not fun when you have work in the morning.

I really don't understand the mentality. Normally I would say "to each their own" but with how frequent it was and disruptive to everyone, it's clear it's just selfish behavior. I moved to Oliver a couple blocks away from Jasper and major intersections, solving the problem for me.

While this definitely was most common during the summer, I do distinctly remember the odd weeknight during winter when you would hear their motorcycle stampede.

If its not the weekend, I would call the police non-emergency line on these yahoo bikers. At 3:00 AM in the morning on a weeknight , I'm sure the graveyard shift of the cops would appreciate the distraction of handing out stunting and noise tickets to arseholes of any stripe. Air One would probably happily give the location of the "pack", and then shine the big ole spotlight down on them when the cruisers or motorcycle cops show up.

C2E Long Term Contributor

It's now past midnight, and the barrage of motorcycle noise is still continuing.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12