Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: motorcycle noise - it's getting worse

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Where are you folks living that you hear "it’s one and then another and another and another and another all day - and all night - long"? I lived just off Whyte, with a view of the Tim's from my balcony, and even then I didn't hear bikes "all day - and all night long" even in the summer.

If such a place actually exists in Edmonton, you really oughtta be calling authorities.
    Thanks for this Spudly. One would think it's the Edmonton Toy Run every single day of the week starting in March and going to November.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Where are you folks living that you hear "it’s one and then another and another and another and another all day - and all night - long"? I lived just off Whyte, with a view of the Tim's from my balcony, and even then I didn't hear bikes "all day - and all night long" even in the summer.

If such a place actually exists in Edmonton, you really oughtta be calling authorities.
    we’re in riverdale and “the authorities” were aware enough of the “club cruises” that they ran several ticketing events last year. the “another and another” however comes from 98th avenue where there seems to be some sort of bikers’ love affair with the hill where there is no curb lane or cross street to facilitate enforcement so the pipes broadcast to their owners’ heart’s content as they gun it up the hill and the bank focuses and echoes it up and down and across the river valley.
    Funny that you mention 98th Avenue. Back in 2007, the wife and I were looking at a home for sale one saturday afternoon at the traffic circle on 98th in Forest Heights. When we walked up the sidewalk, as a loud motorcycle went around the circle. While touring the beautiful home, we hear another loud motorcycle on the circle. And a minute later, another. Go into the back yard and we hear a pair of motorcycles and as I look over the fence I can see the two riders go one and a half times around the circle and blast down 98th and into the valley. We loved the home but the motorcycles literally killed the deal.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

In my case, it's on 109th Street heading towards High Level Bridge. I don't mind most motorcycles that are in normal transportation mode. But the real idiots *start* their adventure after midnight every warm summer night (when I would like to have my windows open but can't because of them) and continue until about 3 or 4 am. They apparently like racing down the street when normal civilian traffic has gone to bed.

Sometimes there are groups of twenty to thirty. And some of them like to do their thing on the bridge over the trolley tracks on 99th Ave. I think they can get airborne over the hump and this is great fun. It's also right beside my bed room window.

This includes week nights.

And yes, I've heard the comments about people mowing lawns, etc. But those people don't do that between midnight and 4am. And, yes, I am planning to move to an address that's at least a block away from all this.

ThomasH says that you are just making this up and the noise is only temporary. ...

As in March to October
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 18-03-2019 at 06:46 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    In my case, it's on 109th Street heading towards High Level Bridge. I don't mind most motorcycles that are in normal transportation mode. But the real idiots *start* their adventure after midnight every warm summer night (when I would like to have my windows open but can't because of them) and continue until about 3 or 4 am. They apparently like racing down the street when normal civilian traffic has gone to bed.

Sometimes there are groups of twenty to thirty. And some of them like to do their thing on the bridge over the trolley tracks on 99th Ave. I think they can get airborne over the hump and this is great fun. It's also right beside my bed room window.

This includes week nights.

And yes, I've heard the comments about people mowing lawns, etc. But those people don't do that between midnight and 4am. And, yes, I am planning to move to an address that's at least a block away from all this.
    Just wanted to chime on my experience with this as well. I used to live on the east side of Jasper Ave, close to Westin and the intersection of 100 St. (towards McDougall Hill). I can concur, this was definitely most frequent during 3 AM when they would all get together and start racing in the area. I lived on the 15th floor as well, with windows closed (unfortunately still faced Jasper Ave). I'm a fairly deep sleeper but was often disrupted during weeknights by their activity. Even ones far away tended to echo horribly around the area. Not fun when you have work in the morning.

I really don't understand the mentality. Normally I would say "to each their own" but with how frequent it was and disruptive to everyone, it's clear it's just selfish behavior. I moved to Oliver a couple blocks away from Jasper and major intersections, solving the problem for me.

While this definitely was most common during the summer, I do distinctly remember the odd weeknight during winter when you would hear their motorcycle stampede.

If its not the weekend, I would call the police non-emergency line on these yahoo bikers. At 3:00 AM in the morning on a weeknight , I'm sure the graveyard shift of the cops would appreciate the distraction of handing out stunting and noise tickets to arseholes of any stripe. Air One would probably happily give the location of the "pack", and then shine the big ole spotlight down on them when the cruisers or motorcycle cops show up.

C2E Long Term Contributor

It's now past midnight, and the barrage of motorcycle noise is still continuing.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    It's now past midnight, and the barrage of motorcycle noise is still continuing.
    https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/...OMc-98ULWrqJlo

"at least another year of testing"..."That's agonizingly slow and I think unnecessary"..."You can only bang your head on the wall so long"... While our mural says "Take a risk - it's the most Edmonton thing you can do", I sometimes think these kinds of comments are what really reflect "the most Edmonton thing we do".
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I'd rather C2E than work!

Yep, them, the souped up Subarus and muffler altered Dodge Rams.

Another year of testing is testing patience alright. Yet, no point handing out tickets that would get laughed out of court.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Yep, them, the souped up Subarus and muffler altered Dodge Rams.

Another year of testing is testing patience alright. Yet, no point handing out tickets that would get laughed out of court.
    As an owner of a Subaru and past owner of pretty gutless 4 & 6 cyl Hondas, Toyotas, Mazdas, etc., I sure don’t understand the point of adding a noisy not-a-muffler. At their best these cars aren’t fast and they don’t sound powerful - just loud. It’s just plain weird like those guys with the huge speakers in the trunk.

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'm sure a canned solution already exists, but it's really not hard to identify which vehicle is making the noise automatically. 2 microphones placed a few feet apart and a computer to triangulate the distance. Maybe a third mike if you want super accuracy. combine it with high speed video or a camera and you have photo noise enforcement. Essentially passive sonar.

Or just get them when they are the only possible source. Over time you’ll get most of them unless they always travel in packs.

Instead of pairing and triangulation just spread out a few sensors.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Was on Whye Ave, as expected, some noise from trucks, buses, fire trucks and the like. But holy cow, some of the noise these bikes is ear splitting. I can only imagine what these guys cause in their neighbourhoods when they roll home on a hot day when most people have their windows open.It's time the province and the city crack down on this. You do not have the right to simply disturb the peace for hundreds of people. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Or just get them when they are the only possible source. Over time you’ll get most of them unless they always travel in packs.

Instead of pairing and triangulation just spread out a few sensors.
    With three microphones placed a few feet apart (like on a photo radar van), it wouldn't be hard to identify exactly which one is making the noise. Or if there a pack of them, each bike will have its own audio signature and volume. They might each get a ticket. The physics are proven. 3 microphones gets you a distance to target, heading and speed. Mount a microphone on the front bumper, the rear top of roof and maybe the drivers side door of the parked van.
    Hell, even some decent software would allow you to overlay the sound of the specific vehicle, volume, speed, heading, distance on a video. One could turn off all other noise sources and just isolate that one in a court if necessary.

It can also be used for speed enforcement.

The tiny pen*s aholes were out in force DT last night. Seriously children?
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    The tiny pen*s aholes were out in force DT last night. Seriously children?
    It's a fear. Fear of not being noticed. Or of going through life as a nobody.

Same with the rig rockets:
    Big light bars - afraid of the dark
    Big brush bars - afraid of animals and boogeymen
    Big tires and lift kit - afraid of other vehicles
    Big muffler - afraid of not being noticed.

Thankfully the noise isn't as bad as last year. But we shall see.

I've been hearing fewer loud vehicles, though the unstable smoky weather as of late may be a factor.

Hrrm, from my living room window, the noise seems worse this year - especially souped up car noise.

Effing Subarus ...
    ... gobsmacked

It's hot today and my windows are open. The motorcycles and sometimes souped-up trucks noise is getting WORSE.

Every 10 minutes I cannot hear the TV because some Dbag is doing the Brrrrrahhhhhhzzzzzzzzzz.

A few nights ago I was on Whyte Ave and for the very first time in my life, more noise was coming from cars and trucks than motorcycles. I was shocked. It didn’t last, as it was the motorcycles making all the noise again tonight.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    LOL

I love seeing these jacked up trucks kitted out for working in the bush....and knowing full well the biggest obstacle it has to clear is their kid's tricycle....the biggest slope is their driveway...and the most off roading they do is when they take two stalls at the Wal-Mart. Gee princess, you'd better have the chamois handy just in case humidity clouds your paint!
    President and CEO - Airshow.

A few years back I was at a Ford dealership and they were proudly showing off a black Ford F-250 4x4 diesel with all the trappings of a rig rocket. It was specially equipped with a huge sound system and outdoor speakers that filled half of the truck box. Two young guys were awestruck and I remarked that the truck was useless. They asked why, and I replied that you could not even carry a few 2x4's with the truck. They both thought that it was "frigging awesome".

More decibels than brains...
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 18-06-2019 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    LOL

I love seeing these jacked up trucks kitted out for working in the bush....and knowing full well the biggest obstacle it has to clear is their kid's tricycle....the biggest slope is their driveway...and the most off roading they do is when they take two stalls at the Wal-Mart. Gee princess, you'd better have the chamois handy just in case humidity clouds your paint!
    Yeah it’s funny. Those trucks have got to be horrible unstable things to actually take on the highways and in the mountains. It’s the stock and slightly modified trucks doing the rough work. My friends and neighbours trucks have been in the bush a lot. Not extreme jacked up things but slight lift and bigger tires for more clearance. We used a couple to pull our bridge through deep snow onto the lake and up the creek. I dragged a 3’x5’ rock and small 7’x14’ boathouse (twice) with my old Excursion. Bent my 4Runner’s heavy duty hitch and pulled in the frame by doing the same sorts of things. Flattened it’s crappy stock coil springs by taking it camping to Alaska too.

No one I knows deliberately puts on crappy loud exhaust systems.
    Last edited by KC; 18-06-2019 at 06:27 AM.

My favorite 4x4 was a friends 1973 Ford that he mounted skinny tires, a cadillac engine and a super low end. Only could do 90 kph but could handle the worst logging road

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    A few years back I was at a Ford dealership and they were proudly showing off a black Ford F-250 4x4 diesel with all the trappings of a rig rocket. It was specially equipped with a huge sound system and outdoor speakers that filled half of the truck box. Two young guys were awestruck and I remarked that the truck was useless. They asked why, and I replied that you could not even carry a few 2x4's with the truck. They both thought that it was "frigging awesome".

More decibels than brains...
    Several times I’d loaded my Excursion up floor-to-ceiling with lumber including 16’ 2x10, 4x6s, etc.
    That truck had leaf springs front and rear and a bit of a lift and slightly oversized tires which helped drive through deeper snow a number of times. (I’ve done the hour long task of digging out of a couple small Blazer sized 4x4s bogged down in snow.)

I now have a Subaru SUV and absolutely hate how impaired my life is in not getting projects done. Little things that it can’t do until I go rent another truck.

I’ve also done the rental truck and U-haul thing a few times now and I hate it.
    Last edited by KC; 18-06-2019 at 06:53 AM.

My favorite 4x4 was a friends 1973 Ford that he mounted skinny tires, a cadillac engine and a super low end. Only could do 90 kph but could handle the worst logging road
    Yeah skinny tires also leave more room in the wheel wells. I had a fat tired Pathfinder where the wheel wells got so packed with mud that the tires were turning through it. I had to stop and dig chunks of it out so I could steer. Horrible little SUV. Fat tires on a narrow vehicle meant it constantly pulled from one highway rut to the other.

I think people who are sensitive to noise, shouldn't live in the city. A vibrant alive city will have plenty of noise (and I like it that way), whether it be bikes, trucks, emergency vehicles, sports bars, nightclubs, or Ferrari's and Lambo's (which are loud too, pick your blue collar or white collar poison). One day when its all electric it will be the tires or the stereos that people whine about. There are lots of farms, and communities outside city limits where fuddy-duddys can get the peace and quiet they need as they retire away, thinking back to the days when they used to have fun too before they turned into grumps.
    Last edited by downtownone; 18-06-2019 at 07:50 AM.

You sir, are wrong. Wrong.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

^different, not wrong, I've always preferred noise, be it at a concert, near a concert, on a street, in a bar, etc., I like stepping on the balcony and hearing a city not a cemetary. If my ears are ringing next morning from a night on the town it might mean I'll be deaf one day (we are all mortal), but it definitely means I had some fun. Its tiring reading how the thought police want to try to sanitize / stop people enjoying their lives / freedom just because its not how they have fun.
    Last edited by downtownone; 18-06-2019 at 07:58 AM.

Yeah skinny tires also leave more room in the wheel wells. I had a fat tired Pathfinder where the wheel wells got so packed with mud that the tires were turning through it. I had to stop and dig chunks of it out so I could steer. Horrible little SUV. Fat tires on a narrow vehicle meant it constantly pulled from one highway rut to the other.
    Having driven thousands of miles of wet gravel and mud roads, skinny tires cut through the wet surface to firmer ground underneath. Those Toyota 4x4s with fat tires float on the muck, easily end up going sideways and roll.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownone View Post
    ^different, not wrong, I've always preferred noise, be it at a concert, near a concert, on a street, in a bar, etc., I like stepping on the balcony and hearing a city not a cemetary. If my ears are ringing next morning from a night on the town it might mean I'll be deaf one day (we are all mortal), but it definitely means I had some fun. Its tiring reading how the thought police want to try to sanitize / stop people enjoying their lives / freedom just because its not how they have fun.

Freedom is not to be at the expense of others. Infringing on the peace of others is an offense.

You are so wrong at every level.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^^^^
    ?
    what was that?
    sorry, i can't hear you...
    wait a minute - let me just step inside and close all the doors and windows.
    aaah, that's better.
    sorry, it's not about "a vibrant city" that noise is a part of.
    it's about a vibrant city that is also a respectful city.
    emergency services vehicles have sirens - we don't expect them to be used unless circumstances warrant their need to be used.
    trucks with engine brakes are precluded from using them within city limits.
    we restrict the hours of construction activity in or near residential neighbourhoods.
    we limit the volume of music or other activities our neighbours are expected to put up with from our barbeques and stag parties and blacksmithing and we don't put up with chained and barking dogs...
    these yahoos that abuse that just because they happen to be mobile aren't contributing to vibrancy, they're stupid inconsiderate jerks.
    Last edited by kcantor; 18-06-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Freedom is not to be at the expense of others. Infringing on the peace of others is an offense.
    So are you going to ban lawnmowers (which typically make from 90 to 110 decibels), so the suburbs are cemetary's like you want to make downtowns? A bunch of old fart councilors telling people how to live is what you see in little hamlets, its not what you should see in a modern, multicultural, diverse accepting city. Its just a war of grumps against people living their lives (be it a biker in a gang, a hoodrat with a boombox, or a boomer on their Harley). I don't drive a noisy vehicle, but I don't feel I have any right to stop someone who enjoys that from doing it.
    Last edited by downtownone; 18-06-2019 at 08:14 AM.

So are you going to ban lawnmowers (which typically make from 90 to 110 decibels), so the suburbs are cemetary's like you want to make downtowns? A bunch of old fart councilors telling people how to live is what you see in little hamlets, its not what you should see in a modern, multicultural, diverse accepting city. Its just a war of grumps against people living their lives (be it a biker in a gang, a hoodrat with a boombox, or a boomer on their Harley). I don't drive a noisy vehicle, but I don't feel I have any right to stop someone who enjoys that from doing it.
    True tolerance includes tolerating the inconsiderate, hateful, weird and anti-social.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^^

that's a straw man argument if i've ever heard one.

lawnmowers that would generate 90 - 110 decibels are in fact banned already as well. with some exceptions (nowhere close to 90 - 110) noise levels at property lines are limited to 65 decibels during the day. with no exceptions they are limited to 50 decibels at night.

True tolerance includes tolerating the inconsiderate, hateful, weird and anti-social.
    No, no it doesn't. Tolerance of intolerance leads to intolerance.

Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^^so church bells (often 95 decibells or higher) or mosque speakers calling to prayer are fine, but a teen with an auto subwoofer in their Subaru is not? When a kid skates past me blasting a mini-speaker on a pathway, I can choose to think, "she's having fun", or I can think, "what a %&([email protected] for disturbing my peaceful walk". I'm sorry but if you live in a downtown and use your balcony, it will sound like a city in summer.

False argument
    You know full well that you are not allowed to mow your lawn at night.

As far as labeling people as old farts, that is a false argument as well. If you look at many of the loud bikers, they are older than me and many others.

Also, the suburbs are just as affected by overtly noisy bikes roaring through neighbourhoods and racing their crotch rockets at triple digits down arterial roads

Expressly making a Downtown as a free noise zone with no limit to loud vehicles is totally contrary to making a livable city with walkable streets, outdoor cafes and lively nightlife.

I was in Barcelona Spain a few weeks ago and there are a million scooters and motorbikes including Harleys and no one was roaring down the streets.

Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 18-06-2019 at 08:55 AM.

^^so church bells (often 95 decibells or higher) or mosque speakers calling to prayer are fine, but a teen with an auto subwoofer in their Subaru is not? When a kid skates past me blasting a mini-speaker on a pathway, I can choose to think, "she's having fun", or I can think, "what a %&([email protected] for disturbing my peaceful walk". I'm sorry but if you live in a downtown and use your balcony, it will sound like a city in summer.

More false arguments

Church bells and Mosques do not make noise at night.

My dog was barking at a squirrel during the middle of the day while I was at the store and I got a bylaw infraction. Went to Court and the judge sided with the neighbour two houses away that worked nights and slept during the day.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 18-06-2019 at 08:55 AM.

Sorry, let me correct my previous statement. There are not a million motorcycles in Barcelona Spain.

There are 484,000

As far as labeling people as old farts, that is a false argument as well.
    There has been plenty of labeling on this thread of the people making the noise, I think this thread is in many ways hilarious because when I was a kid, we were constantly harassed by old folks complaining about this or that. Now I'm getting older, I'm going to be accepting and tolerant of the same types of behavior by the youth today (or like you note, boomers reliving their youth). I just think its sad watching a bunch of older people trying to make the downtown they moved into like a suburb, or suburb like a country lane. And as for Barcelona, its noise levels are way higher than Edmonton (most cities in the world are, because they are bustling, in NYC there is constant drone of emergency vehicles), no amount of stuffy councilors passing one by law or another will stop the noise if the city continues to grow. But make the city unwelcome enough of diversity / alternative lifestyles, and those people will move on elsewhere, and the city will be less rich for it, not more.
    Last edited by downtownone; 18-06-2019 at 08:57 AM.

There is noise and then there is unnecessary noise.

You fail to grasp simple concepts, fail to understand existing laws, and make numerous false equivalence arguments that fail miserably.

In essence you are making a lot of useless noise on this forum trying to argue that a noisy city is a vibrant city. If that was true, we should have made the downtown airport larger to handle 747's and the Concord. Might as well move the airbase downtown to make the downtown more vibrant.

You see now that you obtuse arguments are false.

There is noise and then there is unnecessary noise.
    And the city, run by councilors, can decide that noise they like is necessary, and noise they don't like is not - nobody is going to lose their hearing in downtown Edmonton, all they are doing right now is picking on some people who they consider anti-social, to the benefit of "upstanding citizens" smoking their weed on balcony's in peace. To me that's an intolerant choice (I don't consider myself better than a biker, a homeless person constantly yelling on the street, a kid with a boombox or similar), to you, its responsible. There is no right or wrong, we just have different views of what a city should be.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^^^

so now cruising down jasper or tearing up the hill on 98th ave at 7,800 rpm in second gear instead of 1,200 rpm in fourth is now a diversity/alternative lifestyle choice???
    sorry, but our city is not richer by tolerating behaviour that amounts to nothing more than the aural equivalent of raising a middle finger in the air.

^

and yes, we have different views but no, there is in fact a right and a wrong with just about everything, including this.

and equating motorcycle noise from a rider who clearly does have a choice with a homeless person yelling on the street who does not is also wrong. as a civil society we need to address both, not use one - either one - to try and rationalize acceptance of the other.
    Last edited by kcantor; 18-06-2019 at 09:19 AM.

sorry, but our city is not richer by tolerating behaviour that amounts to nothing more than the aural equivalent of raising a middle finger in the air.
    I'd defend any to raise that finger if they so choose for whatever reason (even just a FU), its what makes us the free and accepting society we are.

So if I get an air raid siren and put it just outside your bedroom window and cause you to be deafened permanently, I have the freedom to do so because I am making the downtown more vibrant.

Right, glad you agree

^strawman, but if you wanna walk around downtown with an air raid signal, I'd be fine with it, whatever goose cooks your gander, its not my business. I've had homeless yelling drunk/high non-stop outside my condo, its noisy, but I don't care, I choose to live where I do, and its just part of the charm.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

I'd defend any to raise that finger if they so choose for whatever reason (even just a FU), its what makes us the free and accepting society we are.
    really?

you don't seem too ready to defend my right to raise that finger to those on those motorcycles.

you also don't seem to recognize the ability to look away from that raised finger vs the inability to get away from the aural one even in the privacy if your own home.

regardless, a vibrant city isn't one where tens or hundreds or thousands or more of it's citizens run around saying fu to their fellow citizens in any form. that's not a free and accepting society, that's anarchy.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^strawman, but if you wanna walk around downtown with an air raid signal, I'd be fine with it, whatever goose cooks your gander, its not my business.
    the locale wasn't "around downtown", it was "outside your bedroom window". the straw in this case is all yours.

you don't seem too ready to defend my right to raise that finger to those on those motorcycles.
    You have the right, and you have the right to go to your council and ask them to ban them. I think that's a mistake, and I personally think that says more about you than the motorcyclists. Its not that surprising as its what happens to people as they age (become less tolerant, more grumpy), and it worries me a bit with more old folks choosing downtown (before you know it, no more large sports bars, clubs, anything that makes too much noise, basically all the things I like about downtown).
    Last edited by downtownone; 18-06-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Watch my middle finger.

Do you need instructions on what it means?

And no, you rights have not been violated.

^which is fine, you turn blue in the face every time somebody makes too much noise when you are on your balcony - make your emergency phone call to Iveson. I'll just smile, grab a scotch, and be glad someones out doing as they please even if it means I have to turn the stereo up a few notches (upsetting my neighbors, who can #@%$ themselves if they don't like it for all I care).

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

You have the right, and you have the right to go to your council and ask them to ban them. I think that's a mistake, and I personally think that says more about you than the motorcyclists. Its not that surprising as its what happens to people as they age (become less tolerant, more grumpy), and it worries me a bit with more old folks choosing downtown (before you know it, no more large sports bars, clubs, anything that makes too much noise, basically all the things I like about downtown).
    and that seems to say an awful lot about you and about how little you know - or care - about others including me... projecting onto others and then responding to your imagination won't help you have fruitful discussions with real people.

"upsetting my neighbors, who can #@%$ themselves if they don't like it for all I care)??? who would have guessed.

as noted already, there really is a right and a wrong here and you're wrong. hope you have a peaceful day...
    Last edited by kcantor; 18-06-2019 at 10:08 AM.

as noted already, there really is a right and a wrong here and you're wrong. hope you have a peaceful day...
    you have a good Tuesday too (a quiet one since you like that)

Ken, no need to wish him a "peaceful" day. That's clearly not what he's looking for.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

arent city buses pushing 100 decibels or more? Cant recall where I read how loud they are.

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Ken, no need to wish him a "peaceful" day. That's clearly not what he's looking for.
    Just be glad you don't live near downtownone.

The self righteous neighbour from hell

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

I often work graveyard shifts.DT is still very loud even into the very late hours. The most offensive of any vehicle I've noted were the rice rockets with the popcorn mufflers.In the canyons of glass and plastic, the sound is amplified horrendously. And since the cops have NO legal authority to order the mufflers removed, JUST LIKE TINT on windows. They can be fined repeatedly. That's all the cops can do.I know. I had a tint ticket and the JP informed me of this as I was TOLD to remove it.So, those cars and any other vehicle will continue to emit their caustic chorus.I live in the East end and we still have the same wing nuts doing the same thing year in and out. It will never change until the laws do.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Pretty much I live in Millwoods, have a neighbor with some loud bike, who also thinks its fun to race his ATV up and down the backalley occasionally. The latter is a problem, and addressed, because its dangerous to kids and other users. The bike thing I don't really care about. He's not riding it all the time, just in and out. The same neighbor has loud late parties which are more disruptive. He's not exceedingly aware, really didn't have much reflection on how his activities might impact others until people voiced feedback.

Here in Millwoods I'm seldom wakened or kept up by the noise of loud bikes. Just a rare instance here. Ridiculous cars customized to make noise (some young people apparently like this) make most of the noise but if anybodies youth live nearby I just say it sounds like a lawnmower and I'm sure that's not reinforcing.

Been reading through the thread and nodding my head. Loud bikes are an issue DT and on Whyte Ave which people could reasonably expect to be noisy places. Where else are they being any appreciable issue? Just another reason I guess I'm glad to live in Millwoods where such things are not problems and the few times they exist I just live and let live.

With the neighbor in question I, and others pick their battles on which things are important to redress. We focus on safety ultimately. Even with the partying, through civil dialog the neighbor is now limiting how often these occur and will even let me know when.

The most common summer late night noise here;

The Police Helicopter doing scheduled rounds, or firetrucks, ambulances fitted out with sirens that are designed to now be heard for much longer distances. yes they are.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

and that seems to say an awful lot about you and about how little you know - or care - about others including me... projecting onto others and then responding to your imagination won't help you have fruitful discussions with real people.

"upsetting my neighbors, who can #@%$ themselves if they don't like it for all I care)??? who would have guessed.

I'm not following this reply at all.

You're the one inferring about the other, while speaking of projecting. Read back your post and see if it does not seem ironic or conflicted.

Unless there's some history I'm not seeing because I don't happen upon the board as often anymore.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    I often work graveyard shifts.DT is still very loud even into the very late hours. The most offensive of any vehicle I've noted were the rice rockets with the popcorn mufflers.In the canyons of glass and plastic, the sound is amplified horrendously. And since the cops have NO legal authority to order the mufflers removed, JUST LIKE TINT on windows. They can be fined repeatedly. That's all the cops can do.I know. I had a tint ticket and the JP informed me of this as I was TOLD to remove it.So, those cars and any other vehicle will continue to emit their caustic chorus.I live in the East end and we still have the same wing nuts doing the same thing year in and out. It will never change until the laws do.
    yep. Without a doubt its the modified loud cars that to me are more of a consistent noise and quite specifically modified to be just that. So why is the thread just titled motorcycle noise?

C2E SME

So what I gather from the last page is that moahunter changed their handle and continues to troll by picking topics that are virtually unanimous and taking the opposite tack. And numerous people went right for it. Heck, almost me, too.

But, but, but, but, people got to have the freedom to redline their Yamaha R6 at 16,500 rpm down Whyte Avenue at 3 am.

Notice to bikers, your bike has more than one gear..

C2E SME

heh, I do miss my R6, thanks for the reminder. I think mine was 17,500 for the redline, though. Ridiculously fun bike. But even with an aftermarket can on it, it was entirely possible to ride it such that it wasn't particularly loud. There's no bylaw on not using 3rd/4th within city limits, sheesh.

edit: I was lied to!

In 2006, Yamaha advertised that the R6 had a redline of 17,500 rpm. This is 2,000 rpm higher than the previous R6 model and was the highest tachometer redline of any 2006 production four-stroke motorcycle engine.[5] The true maximum engine speed was limited by the ECU to 15,800 RPM.[6] In February 2006, Yamaha admitted the bike's true engine redline was more than 1,000 rpm lower than what was indicated on the tachometer and had been advertised,[7] and offered to buy back any R6 if the customer was unhappy.[5][8]

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

You're the one inferring about the other, while speaking of projecting. Read back your post and see if it does not seem ironic or conflicted.

Unless there's some history I'm not seeing because I don't happen upon the board as often anymore.
    i don't think anyone needs to look for history...

just in the post i replied to, because i object to illegal motorcycle (and other motor vehicle) noise i'm apparently old; i'm less tolerant than i used to be; i'm less tolerant than young people; i'm grumpier than i used to be; i'm grumpier than young people (even those who say my neighbors "can #@%$ themselves if they don't like it for all I care"); and he's afraid i might move downtown because apparently i'm also opposed to large sports bars, clubs, anything that makes too much noise...

i didn't infer any of that, that's what he said in his post and that's what i responded to.
    Last edited by kcantor; 18-06-2019 at 05:50 PM.

Yeah, some of the tachs on several models and manufacturers had the wrong gears to boost their indicated rpm and marketing claims.

Who would ever do such a thing.

^^ as Downtownone cried, "and, and, whataboutism like those fire engine sirens, ambulances, buses, crying babies and kids playing make more noise than any Ninja bike or Ram Cummings diesel so until you make a bylaw on fire trucks and ban babies, leave my toys alone."

i don't think anyone needs to look for history...

just in the post i replied to, because i object to illegal motorcycle (and other motor vehicle) noise i'm apparently old; i'm less tolerant than i used to be; i'm less tolerant than young people; i'm grumpier than i used to be; i'm grumpier than young people (even those who say my neighbors "can #@%$ themselves if they don't like it for all I care"); and he's afraid i might move downtown because apparently i'm also opposed to large sports bars, clubs, anything that makes too much noise...

i didn't infer any of that, that's what he said in his post and that's what i responded to.
    The brackets phrase mentioned that people tend to be grumpier, less tolerant as they get older. It didn't state you, stop being so grumpy!

However it is interesting that you inferred you in reading that post. heh
    Last edited by Replacement; 18-06-2019 at 06:59 PM.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

The brackets phrase mentioned that people tend to be grumpier, less tolerant as they get older. It didn't state you, stop being so grumpy!

edited for brevity...

"You have the right, and you have the right to go to your council and ask them to ban them. I think that's a mistake, and I personally think that says more about you than the motorcyclists. Its not that surprising as its what happens to people as they age (become less tolerant, more grumpy),..."

it was pretty personally directed with no inference required long before the brackets...

edited for brevity...

"You have the right, and you have the right to go to your council and ask them to ban them. I think that's a mistake, and I personally think that says more about you than the motorcyclists. Its not that surprising as its what happens to people as they age (become less tolerant, more grumpy),..."

it was pretty personally directed with no inference required long before the brackets...
    Well if you insist on being technical with citing preceding modifiers outside of the functioning brackets..

Yeah, you're right to be grumpy about it. heh.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

edited for brevity...

Well if you insist on being technical with citing preceding modifiers outside of the functioning brackets..

Yeah, you're right to be grumpy about it. heh.
    first world problem and all that when those are the sorts of things we get to debate...

on the other hand, as previously noted, there is still a right and a wrong and when you're right...

We got it all wrong.

Downtownone clearly knows that a noisy city is a vibrant city. We wasted money on the ice district, parks, condo towers and the like.

All we had to do was create a race track down Jasper Ave.

We got it all wrong.

Downtownone clearly know that a noisy city is a vibrant city. We wasted money on the ice district, parks, condo towers and the like. All we had to do was create a race track down Jasper Ave.
    CREATE?

That's what it used to be when the DT was deserted in the late 70's 80's. The lights just doubled as 'gentleman, start your engines, go!" Anything from 124st to 95st was considered Straightaway, back in the day. The lights were oddly coordinated to allow this sort of speed. Or so I heard..

I was part of the drag racing scene back then.

My 1974 VW bus was a real hotrod with 67 horsepower...
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 18-06-2019 at 07:52 PM.

I was part of the drag racing scene back then.

My 1974 VW bus was a real hotrod with 67 horsepower...
    At least it was a VW bus and people could, um, do other things in there.

Great for driveins..

Or so I heard..

jk aside one of the oddest things about street racing back in the day was so many people had modified lift suspension etc such that they would be a casualty trying to drag race. So you'd pull up to some souped up nightmare and the last thing that hopped up hot ride could do is drag..
    Winning was easy if you knew what to pick.

or so I heard

(I'm liking that sub text)

So I see...

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    No, no it doesn't. Tolerance of intolerance leads to intolerance.

So you give me a cartoon. Is this an example of everything I know, I learned from cartoon characters? Ok, I can tolerate that. In fact cartoons can convey some useful concepts. However are you suggesting that I should stop tolerating your intolerance?

I’d say that intolerance of intolerance or tolerance leads to intolerance.

BTW I said “True tolerance” not: Successfully enduring tolerance.

Here’s another opinion I’d posted somewhere on c2e before:
    The Most Intolerant Wins: The Dictatorship of the Small Minority
    Minority
    By Nassim Nicholas Taleb, Aug 14, 2016

“... the original spread of Christianity in the Roman empire can be largely seen due to… the blinding intolerance of Christians, their unconditional, aggressive and proselyting recalcitrance. Roman pagans were initially tolerant of Christians, as the tradition was to share gods with other members of the empire. But they wondered why these Nazarenes didn’t want to give and take gods and offer that Jesus fellow to the Roman pantheon in exchange for some other gods. What, our gods aren’t good enough for them? But Christians were intolerant of Roman paganism. The “persecutions” of the Christians had vastly more to do with the intolerance of the Christians for the pantheon and local gods, than the reverse. What we read is history written by the Christian side, not the Greco-Roman one. [4]...”

https://medium.com/incerto/the-most-...y-3f1f83ce4e15

Last edited by KC; 18-06-2019 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    So what I gather from the last page is that moahunter changed their handle and continues to troll by picking topics that are virtually unanimous and taking the opposite tack. And numerous people went right for it. Heck, almost me, too.
    Really? I had a hunch my first day back after my latest sabbatical & it was pretty much confirmed when he started yammering about living in Copenhagen. Mike's not nearly as smart as he thinks he is.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Houston, we have a problem. Our former Calgary troll moahunter is back and I imagine still in Calgary, and still a shill for big oil/tmx.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Really? I had a hunch my first day back after my latest sabbatical & it was pretty much confirmed when he started yammering about living in Copenhagen. Mike's not nearly as smart as he thinks he is.
    I didn't clue in till Medwards made a comment about it. After that opened my eyes it was pretty obvious.

One of the biggest tip-offs was downtownone reviving long-dormant moahunter threads like this one. It is, indeed, pretty obvious who this troll is.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

I hadn't yet detected the poster telling me that Draisaitl is obscenely overpaid in present contract and that the Oilers should have only offered him 6.5M as he's only worth that much.....haha, so Moahunter out of his element on nearly every topic. This new version didn't go back to that topic.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    It's hot today and my windows are open. The motorcycles and sometimes souped-up trucks noise is getting WORSE.

Every 10 minutes I cannot hear the TV because some Dbag is doing the Brrrrrahhhhhhzzzzzzzzzz.
    It's relatively cooler today but the noisy vehicles are in full swing.

And the vehicle noise continues all weekend long and into the overnight.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

It's noisy in the city. If you don't like it, move to the country. Alberta countryside is very quiet.
    I drive really slow, in the ultra fast lane
    While people behind me, are going insane.

Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post
    It's noisy in the city. If you don't like it, move to the country. Alberta countryside is very quiet.
    Doesn't have to be noisy in the city. The city is actually quite peaceful and quiet, except when douche canoes like to over rev their small manhoods

Right, with your silly recommendation, hundreds of people should move out of the city because a couple of guys on Harleys or Ninja bikes want to make excessive noise while people are trying to sleep.

OK, so are you going to build hundreds of homes in the 'quiet' country and create new towns and cities outside Edmonton? Are you sure that is a good plan?

Maybe a better plan would be that bikers respect other people and noise bylaws. If you want to speed over the limits and make excessive noise, take it to the RACETRACK OUTSIDE the city. That is what it is meant for.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Also available from the office of the Premier or your local UCP MLA.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Suitable for the whole family. Apply each night into your ears, your spouse, the kids, the baby and the dog. If the smoke detector goes off or the baby cries in the night or someone breaks into the house, don't worry, you won't hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Doesn't have to be noisy in the city. The city is actually quite peaceful and quiet, except when douche canoes like to over rev their small manhoods

You are right, that there are quiet places within the city, cul-de-sacs and the middle of neighbourhoods come to mind.

If you decided to live beside a busy street, and are complaining about street noise then why didn't you factor in noise when you bought your dwelling?? I guess it wasn't a high priority for you at the time, caveat emptor.

So ThomasH, you believe that environmentally conscious buyers of medium density condo units in high density neighborhoods along transit routes such as our new Valley Line should just take whatever noise a few problem drivers dish out?

So it follows that you want no noise limits even at night and therefore diesel trucks can freely use their Jake engine brakes, Harley's can make as much noise as they please at midnight, Ninjas can whip their rice rockets at 14,000 rpm down city lanes and at 3 am, you approve cars with no mufflers to play their 2,000 watt stereos while they cruise down the street.

PRT, I can guarantee you that Montreal is way more noisy than Edmonton. It comes with the package when living in an urban environment, if you can't handle the noise then YOU need to make changes. Whining and complaining about the mistakes you made to city hall has never been the way to go. The power that local and provincial governments have are as good as a coffee filter trying to hold water. If you want tangible results, direct your whining toward the federal government, at least they will offer a cup with a crack going down the middle. If you direct your whining toward the US government as well, then the cup becomes a proper cup.

Good luck...

Sorry, you are wrong.

The amount of noisy motorbikes if far less than my years of experience in Edmonton.

So are you still supporting unlimited noise, getting rid of noise bylaws and supplying earplugs to the majority of the population?

Please tell me where you live and I will line up some noisy bikes, barking dogs and a few garbage trucks to play a tune with 4 cubic yard dumpster bins just beside your home.

Brick buildings are nice aren't they, I wish Edmonton has more of them. I am talking about noise in general, the bigger the city is the louder the streets are. Ever been to cities like London and Shanghai? Those cities have constant noise blaring from the streets.

Where did I say that I supported unlimited noise and getting rid of noise bylaws? Stop jumping to conclusions. We still have noise in spite of having noise bylaws. There comes a time when you have to stop blaming others for noise problems and find solutions yourself.

There is noise in the suburban outpost where I live, I am aware of it. So what... BTW, LMAO at barking dogs, what next? Crying babies, grasshoppers, coyotes, lawnmowers? Should we ban those as well? When will you ever be satisfied?

You are being obtuse

You have stated that people who are affected by excessively noisy motorcycles should get earplug or move.

Do you really?

Of course cities are noisier than the suburbs or the country and the bigger the city, or more rightly the density, the noisier it will be generally. If you go to Hong Kong, there is a constant din and then you realize it is the conversations of millions of people in their apartments with the windows open.

Many noises are from cars and trucks fitted with proper mufflers. air conditioners, industry, people, music, dogs and so on add to the noise.
    But that is not what we are talking about is it?

We are talking about excessively noisy motorbike and the riders who deliberately ride them to create the maximum effect. I was in Barcelona for a week where they have hundreds of thousands of motorbike and scooters, many with large displacement engines. In a week there, there were no excessively noisy bikes. In Malta, with a far smaller population and density, I noticed that in half a day there, I heard several loud bikes but none excessively so.

Please explain why you think that in Edmonton, you support excessively noisy motorbike and the riders who disturb the peace?

I never supported noise that is intentionally made, but I know it is there and won't go away overnight. There will always be a new generation of kids that will want to show off. Complaining to city council is not an effective solution, solving the problem has to be done at the continental level, the Canadian and US governments need to ban fart can mufflers and tell manufacturers to keep vehicle noise to an acceptable level. We can't do anything about a loud car driving past that just blew a hole in its muffler though so you will never be free from the problem. The good news is that electric cars and motorbikes are much more quiet, the problem may gradually solve itself within a couple of decades. Boom boxes may still be a problem...

Unless you are prepared to wait a couple of decades, finding solutions to your personal problem is the best solution.

Nope

Municipalities can create their own bylaws. Took me a while to get used to Manhattan and the island of Montreal where you cannot turn right on a red light.

Noise bylaws exist and enforcement is just a effort in will and police resources.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast