Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Results 901 to 1,000 of 1039

Thread: Edmonton Oilers 2018/19 Season

C2E SME

Bakersfield wins their 17th in a row!
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

A good article on the Hitchcock/Draisaitl situation: https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/new...cid=spartandhp

"Oilers’ Hitchcock, Draisaitl learning to thrive in conflict"

"We’re not going to lie. It’s been a “tough love” relationship between Edmonton Oilers head coach Ken Hitchcock and star centreman Leon Draisaitl.
    There were nights when the coach wasn’t sure if the player would ever get there. And mornings when the player likely couldn’t stand to see the coach walk into the room.
    Like after that 5-2 home-ice loss to San Jose, that post-game address when Hitchcock said, “At this time of year, the coaches can’t want it more than the players?”
    We’ll tell you now: he was talking about everyone, but he was really talking to Draisaitl."

I am worried about Klefbom, looked like he hurt his hand again last night. Frustrating. Any of the rare times you see this team with a fully healthy d-corp, they look so much better. If Klefbom never was injured initially this season and Sekera came back in December, this team might have still been in the playoff picture.
    Twenty one, thirty one, and seven twenty-seven.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

There are only 2 Oilers on the IR, Khaira and Puljujarvi. If Klefbom's hand is still on the mend, he might be put on ice for the rest of the season. That announcement could be made between now and game time tomorrow.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by K364 View Post
    A good article on the Hitchcock/Draisaitl situation: https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/new...cid=spartandhp

"Oilers’ Hitchcock, Draisaitl learning to thrive in conflict"

"We’re not going to lie. It’s been a “tough love” relationship between Edmonton Oilers head coach Ken Hitchcock and star centreman Leon Draisaitl.
    There were nights when the coach wasn’t sure if the player would ever get there. And mornings when the player likely couldn’t stand to see the coach walk into the room.
    Like after that 5-2 home-ice loss to San Jose, that post-game address when Hitchcock said, “At this time of year, the coaches can’t want it more than the players?”
    We’ll tell you now: he was talking about everyone, but he was really talking to Draisaitl."
    I have some problems with the article. For one its narrative, its Spectors own perspective on Draisaitl, which has been negative for some time. Next its assumptive. Spector is interpreting that all the comments are about Draisaitl. But the cruncher is that Spector himself moved this whole story. Spector in this case is not reporting the news, Spector created the news. It was Spector, angry, that asked the question what about the Kane goal (where drai Lost coverage) This was Spector already wanting to cast shade on Drai. He's wanting feedback negative answers.

But why? Why that focus on one play, in one game? Spector is painting a story here where he's saying that the moment of truth intervention was post SJ game. AS if Drais game was horrible to that point and he was in need of a tongue lashing. The inconvenient truth to that narrative is provided by looking to the month PRIOR to that Sharks game, which was an Outlier bad game. In the previous month, from Dec 7, 2018 -Jan 6, 2018 Drai had 10G 12A 22pts in 14GP +3 during that month long segment. Those are stellar numbers, fantastic, almost impossibly good on a losing team. The fact is Drai was playing GREAT hockey, Allstar hockey, and Hitch was reporting on it positively in many of the media scrums prior. Hitch was sayng Drai was a great player BEFORE the comments elicited by Spector.

Theres a false notion, spread by Spector, and in this thread that Drai was lost prior to the alleged tongue lashing. Drai was knocking the NHL out of the ball park for the entire month prior to the tongue lashing. Drai was on an insanely good run over the prior month, a pace that would decimate the NHL. The pace in those 14GP was a 68 goal 136pt season.

Yeah, lets look at the whole story, not the fabrication that Spector drew up.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

The real thing that occurred after the Jan 8 game is Hitchcock played a classic card. Its one where its identified which horse can carry the club in all zone play. Which player is most capable of carrying. Which horse is most complete, capable. Hitch just whipped that horse harder. As has happened in plow teams from time eternal. You don't whip the horses that are lame, injured, old, infirm. You whip the horses that are game, and that can pull.

That's all that occurred here. Not this ridiculous narrative that Drai is a player with foremost shortcomings.

The difficulty though, and its equally well known. Is you can only whip that one horse harder for a limited period of time, until that horse becomes overused, exhausted, and wondering why the other horses aren't pulling.

lets note as well that Hitch has used Drai on the Pk much more than Connor McDavid, and more than McLellan was using him. The reason for this is Drai is good on the pk and Connor McDavid is horrible at it. Mcdavid shouldn't be on the pk in any situation except down a goal with a couple minutes left. Other than that don't tempt fate with Connors over 14GA/60min on pk. A number so bad that it means that a team scores every second PP on Connor pk minutes.

So Hitch knows what he's up against. He can't tap RNH on the shoulder and say play better defensively (Nuges defensive numbers are horrible this whole season and he gets sheltered minutes with support) He can't tap McD because the risk reward in his game is too high and McD is still learning and having to learn. He can only really expect more from Draisaitl. Right now Leon is the only top oiler that can deliver a top notch 200 ft game. That's a good thing for Leon, its not what Spector suspects it to be.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

It's always a relief waking up in the morning and seeing the Oilers beat the worst team in the league.

C2E SME

John Tavares welcome: https://youtu.be/0P8pptkskP0

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 1976len View Post
    It's always a relief waking up in the morning and seeing the Oilers beat the worst team in the league.
    Moreover, the Oilers win resulted in Ottawa sacking their coach.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

C2E SME

Darn! Bakersfield loses 1-0 to Iowa! 17 games is a hell of a run!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

150-1 is still a chance lol. May as well be off the board.

C2E SME

It might be better than 150-1 today. Oilers win 4-0 in Columbus!

Draisaitl really might hit 50 goals this year. Expect to see Connor helping push for it.

I'd rather C2E than work!

As a longtime Oiler fan I was amazed at how they played in Columbus. I was on the edge of my seat the whole game. It was awesome, and rare. If they could keep this going I for one would be a very happy camper. Super!

Some teams like Columbus don't match up well with us due to their roster and who their best players are. Columbus has nobody that could match up with Drai. Good coaching move for Hitch to match these up for this game. McDrai owned this game anytime they were on the ice and they were, for all 4 goals. (Drai just line changed before one of the goals)

The absolute dominance by the topline kind of disguised what is a constant feature of this team, a lack of production on any other lines.

Defensively we played better. As 5 man units but Columbus had their chances.

Columbus would be a classic example of an EC team that has more difficulty with more physical WC teams. In a nutshell there is no way someone like Panarin can stand up to McDrai. They just run him over. Columbus lack a strong enough top D pair to even limit McDrai.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    As a longtime Oiler fan I was amazed at how they played in Columbus. I was on the edge of my seat the whole game. It was awesome, and rare. If they could keep this going I for one would be a very happy camper. Super!
    Thats the problem, we don't see that type of full team system play consistent enough. And unfortunately, they seemed to have discovered this out too late in the season. Other teams that were part of the great snail race, are starting to get themselves on a roll too, making catch up next to impossible.

I totally agree, drum..

aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

I noticed they were stick checking a lot, and excellent goaltending also a factor

Columbus isn't Toronto, and the way Jackets played, or ever play against us, its hard to see how they are even where they are in standings.

They are a vastly different club than the Maple Leafs, not in a good way.

our D play, such as it is, was sufficient against Columbus. It wasn't close to being good enough against the Leafs.

Similarly the SJ sharks blow our roof off anytime they play us.

Sometimes its just about what teams you match up against well. Jackets had no answer for our topguns and we were able to solve the Jackets topguns. Frankly as well if the best player on your team is Panarin you aren't going far. The guy appears or disappears as he likes.

Take a look at the Bluejackets board on Hockey Futures and they are more disgusted with their club than Oilers fans usually are with the Oilers.

Worst thing for Columbus is they went hard at additions at TDL to try to bolster their lineup for a run. Depending on who they face they could get knocked out in first round if they were even to make the playoffs. The Oilers would beat that team in the playoffs in 5 or 6 games.

Columbus should never have been buyers at trade deadline. That team is going nowhere.
    Last edited by Replacement; 03-03-2019 at 05:50 PM.

C2E SME

And Winnipeg beat Columbus tonight.

Yep, when they check well, they give themselves a fighting chance. When we saw them go on their winning streaks earlier in the season, a key ingredient was consistent checking. Sure they need some more production from the supporting cast, but if they checked consistently throughout the season, Id be willing to bet they hold a wildcard spot, or possibly 3rd in the division come end of the season. What version of the Oilers are we going to get tonight vs Buffalo?

The Duchene curse has entered Columbus. Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    I read somewhere that he was going to be a rental. Not because of some "curse" but for other reasons.
    Just a wild guess here, but maybe it's because he's an UFA on July 1st?
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ That's what my "other reasons" were.

C2E SME

Oilers win 4-3 in Buffalo!

Sweet guys, well done!

Connor doinking that empty-net goal off the post has got to be worth a lot of ribbing...
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

I recall,not sure how many years ago, Dallas did the same thing. Stars player going in on Oilers' empty net in the last minute, totally flubs the gimme shot - Oilers turn around - go 200 feet and score to tie (and then in OT) win the game.

Think it was even Gange, with the tying and winning goals.

Still, back to today, Oil go on a 5-1-2 run and only make up a point in the race for 2nd wild-card.
    ... gobsmacked

To give you some idea, last season the last wild card was 95 points. Year before 94 points.

Edmonton now has 65 points with 16 games left.

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    I recall,not sure how many years ago, Dallas did the same thing. Stars player going in on Oilers' empty net in the last minute, totally flubs the gimme shot - Oilers turn around - go 200 feet and score to tie (and then in OT) win the game.

Still, back to today, Oil go on a 5-1-2 run and only make up a point in the race for 2nd wild-card.
    You're thinking Patrik Stefan, and it was Stoll -> Smyth ->Hemsky for the goal. That one was far more egregious than McDavid's. McDavid while shouldn't have missed, was quite a ways out still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhTs_O0atdI

You're thinking Patrik Stefan, and it was Stoll -> Smyth ->Hemsky for the goal. That one was far more egregious than McDavid's. McDavid while shouldn't have missed, was quite a ways out still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhTs_O0atdI

Thanks - yes - Hemsky - ironically later to be traded to the Stars.

And yes, far, far more egregious, just that even like golfers hitting a duff, even the pros have shots they'd love back!
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by K364 View Post
    To give you some idea, last season the last wild card was 95 points. Year before 94 points.

Edmonton now has 65 points with 16 games left.
    8th seed WC could be sub 90 points this year in the West if Minny, Avs and Yotes don't play better than .550 hockey from here on out. Compare that to 8th seed in the East is just about guaranteed to be over 100 points.
    Twenty one, thirty one, and seven twenty-seven.

Patrik Stefan was the guy who missed, Ales Hemsky scored to tie it and the Stars won in a shootout that night.

Being a Stars fan I remember that game vividly in my mind. Stupid Patrik Stefan.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Connor doinking that empty-net goal off the post has got to be worth a lot of ribbing...
    It should of been a Buffalo penalty before McDavid hit the post. He was interfered/holding/hook at centre ice prior to attempting the empty net shot.

This.

Then the Oilers get called after.

Typical NHL.

Yep - even a 1/2 blind ref would know Conner was interfered with - no call.

But Draits kinda, sortta, maybe interfering ...oh well, let's call that!

NHL should be embarrassed by its double standard, but apparently knows no shame and can't be embarrassed.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E SME

Minnesota's losing in Florida tonight, and it looks like the Wild, Coyotes, Avalanche and Oilers could be in a dogfight for the last playoff spot.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Watch, half the building tmr wearing leaf Jersey's. bunch of scumbags. Way to go supporting the home team guys.

The Oilers aren't in a dogfight, they've already dragged themselves behind the barn and shot themselves.

C2E SME

^^ Some people buy season tickets and will sell games like Toronto (at a higher price), so they can better afford the tickets.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Scalpers. I forgot about that angle.

C2E SME

So close!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Another 30 seconds on the clock and they would have tied the game.

Woulda, coulda, didn't.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

The Oilers aren't in a dogfight, they've already dragged themselves behind the barn and shot themselves.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I think the oilers need to get 21 or 22 points out of a possible 28 remaining in order to capture a wildcard spot. I'd say that's nigh-impossible.

I wonder what the odds are?
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    I wonder what the odds are?
    About the same as Katz cutting his ties with the OBC...

C2E SME

They’re much better after tonight! Oilers win in OT, and Arizona, Colorado and Minnesota lost.

Stars win, Coyotes win, Ducks win. Dammit! (tues night). Johnny Hockey gets 6 points including a hat trick against NJ(his home state)

Stars win, Coyotes win, Ducks win. Dammit! (tues night). Johnny Hockey gets 6 points including a hat trick against NJ(his home state)
    Assuming the teams above us play 500 hockey, we need to win 10 of the next 13 games to have a real chance. They need to go on a 7ish game win streak to be in the discussion.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Most important (imo) the Oilers need to be playing smart desperation hockey and they are showing signs of that in the 3rd period. As for a 7 game winning streak, I doubt the Oilers can do that without secondary scoring.

The Oilers' chances of making the playoffs have dropped even more now that Canada has banned the Boeing 737-Max8 from its airspace.

How do you figure?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Banning the Max 8 is really overreacting. Not even sure if the Oilers/NHL use a Max 8 aircraft.

It reduces the chances that one of the other teams will be wiped out in a crash, which is about the only way the Oilers will make the playoffs.

Aha..

Shucks

You can probably start getting that coffin ready for the Oilers playoff hopes...buy some nails too while you're there.

It reduces the chances that one of the other teams will be wiped out in a crash, which is about the only way the Oilers will make the playoffs.
    Is that a pathetic attempt at humour?
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

No, just a plain one.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Did I hear this right that the Oilers need to win 7/12 remaining games to get into the playoffs?

C2E SME

Did I hear this right that the Oilers need to win 7/12 remaining games to get into the playoffs?
    They don't control their own destiny, so it's hard to say exactly where the playoff cut line will be, but likely around 90 points or a touch less. Meaning they need 21 points in their last 12 games. So they can have one regulation loss, and one or two OT/SO losses. That's it.

If they can't cleanly beat Arizona this weekend, then it's for sure done.
    If they win in 3 periods, then there's a very remote chance, along with things that have to happen to other teams.
    If they go 10-2 or better the final 12 games, there's a 60% chance of making it.
    http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/W.../Edmonton.html

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^^ That sums it up pretty good. They are not in control of their own destiny. Good way of putting it.

^ 10-2? Wow. Since the Oilers lack secondary scoring, McD and LD need to really pick it up.

I know its a bit early to tell what went right or wrong here with the Oilers season. A lot of would-a, could-a factors at play. Hindsight being what it is and all, I'd say starting with Cam Talbot, D injuries, GM/Coach change and the schedule took some gas out of the Oilers tank. Just a guess.

C2E SME

It's been clear what's wrong with the team for over a decade: it's a hidebound organization full of dinosaurs who think it's still the 90's, and who have totally mismanaged their assets and cap space. Klefbom's injury may have been the straw that broke the camel's back, but just about everything would have had to go right this year for them to make the playoffs. Which is incredible for a team that's likely to have two 100 point players by the end of the season.

C2E SME

Oilers live to fight another day! 3-2 OT win in Arizona!

^Giving Arizona a point didn’t help though. Still 7 back of that last wild card spot.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Which would be this evening. Its game-by-game

Game in hand over Arizona. Win tonight and they're 5 back with the same amount of games remaining. The 1 point very well could be the killer though.

How about that C. McDavid. That last goal was amazing. He seemed to snap it while in the air and into the net in an unexpected split second move. Not too many that could have done that.

How about that C. McDavid. That last goal was amazing. He seemed to snap it while in the air and into the net in an unexpected split second move. Not too many that could have done that.
    We didn't see this game, but McD is great!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Did anyone see the segment with Burke's assestment for the Oilers in the off season? Now he's saying shop Puljujarvi to free up cap space.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    We didn't see this game, but McD is great!
    Shame that, barring a miracle, he will miss the playoffs for the third time in his 4 years in the league. Who else is left to blame but the absentee owner?

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Oilers live to fight another day! 3-2 OT win in Arizona!
    Koolaid, Koolaid.... tastes great! Koolaid, Koolaid... can't wait!

Can almost taste that Stanley Cup! FCOL
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Did anyone see the segment with Burke's assestment for the Oilers in the off season? Now he's saying shop Puljujarvi to free up cap space.
    Should have never shopped for him in the first place. Took him 4th overall and left Matthew Tkachuk for the Flames. Dumb.

Oilers tried hard but Vegas is just too good of a team.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I mean seriously the play was dead. The official lost sight of the puck right away. How can that not be goaltender interference?

C2E SME

Should have never shopped for him in the first place. Took him 4th overall and left Matthew Tkachuk for the Flames. Dumb.
    Hindsight is 20/20. At the time most experts were very surprised that Columbus passed up on him for Dubois. And no one was clamoring to pick Tkachuk instead/ahead of Puljujarvi.

What's dumb is how poorly of a job they did developing and supporting him. Apparently they didn't even both getting him English lessons until his second season in North America.

What's also dumb is that he's had a persistent hip issue apparently that entire time that was basically undiagnosed until the team completely fumbled handling it and confused all of the messaging and public perception around this player. To the point where his agent said he was unhappy in Edmonton and didn't want to go to the AHL.

Just a comedy of errors with this team. Here's hoping he fully recovers and the team has enough brains to not trade him before actually seeing what he can do.

Clearly giving Koskinen no rest on a back-to-back schedule was probably not a wise move by Hitchcock (who really should know better). Oh well, this cake was baked a long time ago.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Clearly giving Koskinen no rest on a back-to-back schedule was probably not a wise move by Hitchcock (who really should know better). Oh well, this cake was baked a long time ago.
    I was actually surprised by that decision myself. Perhaps Hitch has little confidence in Stolarz.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Not that all games down the home stretch are not important, but this one in particular was. Its a back-to-back on the road. He went with his best goaltender.

C2E Posting Power

Why did I bother checking the score.... down 4 0 to the Blues after the second. Looks like the Oilers have checked out again. I hope lots of the Tier 1 are not renewing their seasons tickets. What else will make Katz listen?

Schnucks

I heard about a Tier One 'Super 'A' level' fan not renting his 10 box suite next year to just buying 5 pairs of tickets for $70k instead.

More Tier One fans need to speak with their wallets.

C2E SME

The Oilers live on their laurels, just like the Maple Leafs did for many years.

C2E Posting Power

No the Leafs were never gifted all the top picks that the Oilers have had over the years. Katz's ownership has brought nothing but disgrace on a once proud and respected franchise.

I know people whose employers hold corporate seats. Clients have not wanted to go to very many games this year at all. One major corporation will not be renewing loge seats at the very least.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Quote Originally Posted by edTel View Post
    No the Leafs were never gifted all the top picks that the Oilers have had over the years. Katz's ownership has brought nothing but disgrace on a once proud and respected franchise.
    Totally agree

Time to change owners.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E SME

It's pretty much impossible to even give away tickets at this point. I thought last year was bad in that regard, but this year is worse.

And like the Leafs, they still sell out the building. As long as he can sell out the regular season he has no real reason to sell. He paid $200 for the team in 2018. It's current valued at ~$540 million. And it's not like he needs the money.

As long as people continue to pay top dollar for tickets, then there's really no reason for him to do anything. Sure it would be nice to get into the playoffs and even win a round or two but it's not like the fate of the team depends on it.

Well, Oil are right up against the salary cap, so it's not like Daryl has been cheap.

The problem is - the management decisions he makes. A continuous slew of horrible!
    ... gobsmacked

You mean paying $2.5M to Brandon Manning to ride the pine in the AHL while you traded away the 5th highest scorer on the team wasn't a savvy move?

(repeat with any number of boneheaded moves with major cap implications)

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast