Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 1,001 to 1,039 of 1039

Thread: Edmonton Oilers 2018/19 Season

C2E SME

heh, apparently Nicholson said at one of the season seat holder events today that a big part of the reason the Oilers didn't make the playoffs this season is that Rieder didn't score 15 goals. That's got to be one of the dumbest statements he could possibly have made. I have zero faith in his ability to manage hockey ops, at this point. And given how badly he botched the Chiarelli hiring and basically everything else the last 5 years, it's a fair question as to why he's not following him out the door.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Could the Oilers be the least progressive organization in the NHL at this point?
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

C2E SME

I don't know if it's about being conservative/progressive. No one would call Lou Lamoriello progressive; he's basically Mr Burns yelling at Mattingly to shave those sideburns (he hates facial hair on his players, although I'm not sure if he still bans it or not). Yet he in the past few years he managed to be a big part of turning around both the Maple Leafs and the Islanders.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I'm sure free agents will be ringing Bobby Nicks' phone off the hook to come play here with that type of ringing endorsement.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    heh, apparently Nicholson said at one of the season seat holder events today that a big part of the reason the Oilers didn't make the playoffs this season is that Rieder didn't score 15 goals. That's got to be one of the dumbest statements he could possibly have made. I have zero faith in his ability to manage hockey ops, at this point. And given how badly he botched the Chiarelli hiring and basically everything else the last 5 years, it's a fair question as to why he's not following him out the door.
    so let me get this straight...

so rieder's 11 points for 2 million on a 1 year contract is a big part of the reason but lucic's 18 points for 7 million on a 7 year contract (with a 6 million cap hit) and 50% more ice time isn't?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Should probably re-sign him to give it another try and give a huge raise Chaisson cause he banged in 20 goals.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    I'm sure free agents will be ringing Bobby Nicks' phone off the hook to come play here with that type of ringing endorsement.
    Yup, this is exactly right. I would imagine it's well known that the organization is a gong show, and that kind of a comment WILL make it's way to free agents when evaluating teams. I'd love to have a conversation with some player agents and listen to how bad the team's reputation is among them. At least in terms of how players are treated/thrown under the bus. On the other hand, I'm sure agents themselves LOVE the organization, in light of the boneheaded contracts it's all too willing to hand out.

C2E Long Term Contributor
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

So the Oilers would only be -28 to -26 in the goals for/against. Only 28 more gold needed.

I bet that makes Reider feel great...
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E SME

Maybe Nicholson could blame the defense for failing to move the puck out, or McDavid and Draisaitl for defensive mistakes, or Koskinen for giving up bad goals. We win and lose as a team.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Wonder who recommended to Katz to hire Nicholson? His buddy Kevin Lowe no doubt. So then Nicholson goes out an hires a coach and GM who both turn out to be duds. Rinse...lather... repeat...

I noticed all the sportscasters were against what he did regarding Reider. May be a good chance for Katz to fire him.

Yeah those comments by Nicholson are pretty inexcusable. Enough with blaming the players--his guy chose them.
    Twenty one, thirty one, and seven twenty-seven.

He’s actually a heck of a good player in all other facets of the game but somehow lost his scoring touch. He had 42 goals and 42 assists in 60 games with the Kitchener Rangers one year, the teams leading scorer. Other good seasons there as well. Maybe a hypnotist would help, lol.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 22-03-2019 at 10:30 AM.

^Get the hypnotist to persuade Katz to hire competent managers of his hockey team.

C2E Continued Contributor

Tobias Reider's agent today:

"I am totally astonished and disappointed that the president of an NHL team can make such a callous and reckless statement about a player," Farris told TSN's Ryan Rishaug. "This is unacceptable.”

Meanwhile Nicholson suggested that he had spoken/apologized to Reider, and they had in fact laughed about it. I sure hope Katz has been paying attention the last month and sees enough reason to dismiss Nicholson. He is not competent at running an NHL organization, period.

https://www.tsn.ca/rieder-s-agent-ca...able-1.1277540

^And take his damned burger off the menu, while we're at it!

Some incredible stuff from Ryan Batty's livetweeting of an Oilers season ticket holder event:

Ryan Batty‏ @ryan_batty 30m30 minutes ago
    [John] Shannon is defending the Old Boys Club. “Nobody complained about Lowe and MacTavish in 2006.”

Ryan Batty‏ @ryan_batty 29m29 minutes ago
    “The fan base wants to win so badly they’ll find anything to pick on.” — Shannon on criticism of the OBC.

Ryan Batty‏ @ryan_batty 19m19 minutes ago
    Nicholson: “Koskinen signed a one-year deal because he wanted to come over here and prove himself.” “Talbot gave indications he wouldn’t be back no matter what.” Says Bobrovsky is the only number one who’d have been available on July 1, and “he’s going to an [east coast] team.”

Ryan Batty‏ @ryan_batty 19m19 minutes ago
    So, Koskinen was who they felt would be the best available this summer. And positioning is his biggest issue. If that’s true, why would you sign him for three years, Ryan wonders.

Ryan Batty‏ @ryan_batty 44s44 seconds ago
    Nicholson says the Florida and Chicago trades were breaking points for Chiarelli with this team. Peter was in charge for those. Says the Koskinen signing was a group decision. Sure seems like the most obviously bad moves were all Pete, debatably bad were a group decision.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Its going to be interesting to hear John Shannon's reaction to the above on the panel this afternoon. Unless he's already tweeted a response. Just think, the Oilers could have had Mathew Tkachuk. Poor scouting on Oilers end?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

I don't even understand why he was there, telling (paying, tier one) Oilers fans what to think? Is he on the Bobby Nick's payroll now?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ John Shannon or Ryan Batty?

John Shannon.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    I don't even understand why he was there, telling (paying, tier one) Oilers fans what to think? Is he on the Bobby Nick's payroll now?
    Sportsnet is the Oilers TV rightsholder just as CHED is the radio rightsholder. Are they directly on the payroll, perhaps not, but their job is damage control so the ratings don't slide further into the dumpster.

C2E SME

Yup, Shannon was spinning so fast he got dizzy on the broadcast last night. Full credit for Remenda not pulling punches, though.

Meanwhile media people who aren't on the payroll directly or indirectly (everyone on Sportsnet) and who don't need to maintain direct relationships because they cover the team daily (Rishaug) are absolutely lighting in to Nicholson now: https://www.tsn.ca/radio/edmonton-12...lson-1.1277912

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Bobcat is "friends" with BN apparently.

No John Shannon on the panel this afternoon
    Last edited by envaneo; 22-03-2019 at 03:20 PM.

C2E Continued Contributor

Yup, Shannon was spinning so fast he got dizzy on the broadcast last night. Full credit for Remenda not pulling punches, though.

Meanwhile media people who aren't on the payroll directly or indirectly (everyone on Sportsnet) and who don't need to maintain direct relationships because they cover the team daily (Rishaug) are absolutely lighting in to Nicholson now: https://www.tsn.ca/radio/edmonton-12...lson-1.1277912
    One comment made in the audio at the above link was the thought that the comments from Bob Nicholson may produce a "crescendo" of negative sentiment towards Oilers management. I tend to agree. Perhaps people will forget this gaffe and move on, but Seravalli's point of how stunning it is to realize how wrong the team president's mindset is about Toby Rieder, AND he's the one making the decision on the next GM of the team. It's eye opening that we can have someone with this authority has such a short-sighted vision. Seravalli correctly points out that the comments by Nicholson were not simply a slip of the tongue. The comments were crafted beforehand and deliberately delivered... In public...

Bob Nicholson is leading the Edmonton Oilers GM search!!

What would appropriate leadership in this instance look like? Simply ignoring the public and completing a weak "I'm sorry" to Toby is unacceptable.

Sorry Bob. This is more than a gaffe. This should be the reason you're let go.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    A lot higher than mine was even before his comments....

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

BN did appologise for his comment before game time yesterday. Probably a moot point now anyway
    Last edited by envaneo; 23-03-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Evan Bouchard got 2g 2a for London knights in a 4-3 win over Windsor tonight in the first game of the playoffs.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I like how Oilers coach Ken Hitchcock said something like this:

"Our season is like we're in a herse and its going uphill to the cemetary."

No kidding.

Top_Dawg can just picture the scene.

Season ticket holders tell ol' scuba that he sucks donkey dong.

And in his defence he sputters that he doesn't - Tobi does.

Instead of acknowledging his own abject incompetence, the master architect of the abortionation that is OEG blames some insignificant cog.

Classic.

The full exchange was:

REPORTER: "Yesterday you mentioned about people outside at times counting this team out but the locker room..."

HITCHCOCK: "No they haven't counted us out, we're in the hearse and we're goin' up to the cemetery, so let's cut the ******** will ya? Like, we're now in the hearse. We're now entering Boot Hill. We're on that road from Yuma to Boot Hill, so it's up to us in the locker room. We keep poplin our head up, we keep staying alive. The rest of the people, we're hoping they pull us out of the hearse and put it down in Yuma again, do we'll see."

He's saying everybody else thinks their chances are dead, but they are still fighting. That quote is being taken out of context all over the place.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'd love to see Reider stay as an Oiler next season but it would be even better for him if he moved on to a better team and score 20 goals. Just to "rub it in" Bobbies face.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The full exchange was:

REPORTER: "Yesterday you mentioned about people outside at times counting this team out but the locker room..."

HITCHCOCK: "No they haven't counted us out, we're in the hearse and we're goin' up to the cemetery, so let's cut the ******** will ya? Like, we're now in the hearse. We're now entering Boot Hill. We're on that road from Yuma to Boot Hill, so it's up to us in the locker room. We keep poplin our head up, we keep staying alive. The rest of the people, we're hoping they pull us out of the hearse and put it down in Yuma again, do we'll see."

He's saying everybody else thinks their chances are dead, but they are still fighting. That quote is being taken out of context all over the place.
    Not sure if that was reported in full like that over television but thanks for the full picture.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    The full exchange was:

Not sure if that was reported in full like that over television but thanks for the full picture.
    No problem. I just typed out exactly what had been said in the clip I saw.

Oilers lose to the worst team in the league, again, at home.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

The organization has failed at assessing, drafting and developing talent for almost a two decades now. When Nicholson was in charge of Hockey Canada, they had a pool of the best talent to choose from. Success was obviously not easily transferable.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    The organization has failed at assessing, drafting and developing talent for almost a two decades now. When Nicholson was in charge of Hockey Canada, they had a pool of the best talent to choose from. Success was obviously not easily transferable.
    Well if there was ever any doubt, both he and Kevin Lowe (his buddy from Hockey Canada) know a thing or two about winning. It's not their fault, like Bobby Nicks said there is something in the water here in Edmonton and its all Toby Reider's fault.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011