Thread: Denizen Hall Closing down at the end of the month

C2E Continued Contributor

Default Denizen Hall Closing down at the end of the month

It's a shame because this was one of my favorite places downtown. Likely a mixture of rent increases, variable influxes of customers during event nights, and lack of access to anyone outside the downtown core (nobody likes going to the bar and coming back in the morning to find the meter maids happily slapping tickets on windshields).

The question is: how can ICE district support the load of retail and hospitality that will be opening up in the new towers if one bar with a cult following can't sustainably operate before the the district has even opened? To me, this is something of a concern being that the district as it's designed will not be a steady draw of walk-through customers required to make the dozens of businesses busy at all times. The loss of the area theatre almost ensures this.

Thoughts?
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

What makes you think it wasn't sustainable? The owners are moving another one of their brands there. I bet we the Denizen open up somewhere else.... And this change has been planned for a few years now. Let's not forget that this is the group that wanted to open a sports lounge within a block of the ice district, but ran into a bunch of nimbys and those who have a pre-declared hate for this business group.

C2E Long Term Contributor

'but ran into a bunch of nimbys and those who have a pre-declared hate for this business group.'

Without rehashing EVERYTHING for the nth time, this operator was not in question, the size of the application and secondary impacts to those businesses and residents adjacent to it were.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

From what I heard, its reopening after some renovations and maybe a rebranding. Notice that there are some events on its Facebook page scheduled after the closing date. I don't think it's ever been unsustainable in the last several years. We'll see what happens...
    Go down a few dark alleys.

A more robust commitment to live music, as was the initial promise, would do well in that location.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    'but ran into a bunch of nimbys and those who have a pre-declared hate for this business group.'

Without rehashing EVERYTHING for the nth time, this operator was not in question, the size of the application and secondary impacts to those businesses and residents adjacent to it were.
    I disagree with your public statement. You can choose to disagree with me too... Your penchant hate for this group is well noted on the forums though, and your objection to this doesn't reflect in other applications for similar reasons. Anyways... not wanting to re-hash, lets just agree to disagree. Thanks

large sportsbar would be very nice around the arena. Not many options after the game except Mercers or Joeys, both which are insanely packed before and after games

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

C2E Long Term Contributor

The grand opening of the Thrift Shop bar is Nov 2 & 3.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012