Thread: These are the best cities in Canada to launch a tech startup

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default These are the best cities in Canada to launch a tech startup

“Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Maybe I'm jaded as of late...but the rating is about smack on where I would expect it to be given how Edmonton acts sometimes...

Getting an industry to move here takes work...lots of it.

I could rant...and maybe I will...but the last few sentences that came off the keyboard weren't nice. I should go and rewrite and reflect...
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

C2E SME

Edmonton acts like they have a sense of entitlement.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Another trivial list that nobody anywhere cares about. The ratings are not shocking, but perhaps Edmonton is a few places below where I thought it would be, but I mean, these lists are all based on some random bloggers metrics pulled out of nothingness to form nothingness. Ive now spent more time writing this post than should be spent to read the article itself.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Maybe I'm jaded as of late...but the rating is about smack on where I would expect it to be given how Edmonton acts sometimes...

Getting an industry to move here takes work...lots of it.

I could rant...and maybe I will...but the last few sentences that came off the keyboard weren't nice. I should go and rewrite and reflect...
    For once I have to agree with Medwards. How some of these communities out rank Edmonton is quite puzzling. Have you ever been to Oshawa? They are banking their economic future on being a bedroom community to YYZ. Regina is not even ranked again very puzzling or are they that much worse than Sherbrooke?
    On the other hand Edmonton being the Rodney Dangerfield of Canada gets very little exposure and cares little for blowing its own horn. Most people if they think of us at all equate us to Regina or at best Winnipeg. I am quite certain there is more going on here with tech companies with the new gaming company and AI than there is most of those communities ranked ahead of us. Edmonton’s profile barely registers.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Nowhere does the article seem to share the actual report they're reporting on.

And the writer is "passionate about avocado toast, aesthetics, and avocado toast aesthetics".

I see ads for this kind of Internet "journalism" on Craigslist and Kijiji and gig sites.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Edmonton acts like they have a sense of entitlement.
    Edmonton is more concerned about what other cities think about us and what those cities are doing. We need to concentrate more on Edmonton and stop with the "World class" and other nonsense. Let's work on being the best Edmonton we can instead of fretting over what the cool kids think of us.

Thanks KK. Frankly, could give a sh*t about BS rankings such as this.

Gee, umm, which city is leading in AI? Nanotechnology?

Oh right, Sherbrooke ....
    ... gobsmacked

The problem is we/you may not give a sh*t about these reports but other people do read them. I found this on Twitter.

I've found lots of stuff on twitter. Mostly all garbage, like this stuff. People may read them, but no one takes them seriously, except for a few keyboard warriors on forums like SSP in the ultimate 'my city can beat up your city' type posts that frequent that place.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Nowhere does the article seem to share the actual report they're reporting on.

And the writer is "passionate about avocado toast, aesthetics, and avocado toast aesthetics".

I see ads for this kind of Internet "journalism" on Craigslist and Kijiji and gig sites.
    Yea, the avocado fetish. What a Pseud.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Default EEDC leased it, but will they come?

An EEDC report called Evolving Edmonton’s Innovation Ecosystem: Moment of Intention, labelled confidential and written by former president and CEO Brad Ferguson, said Edmonton saw no major venture capital financings of more than $1 million in the year ending Aug. 1, 2017. The number of Edmonton-headquartered startups was dwarfed by those elsewhere in Canada, as was the number of AI startups — despite the University of Alberta being a global leader in machine learning.
    Balding mine.

https://www.taprootedmonton.ca/stories/2018/eedc-leased-it-but-will-they-come/