Thread: village of tiny homes

Default village of tiny homes

Canada’s first veterans village of tiny homes goes into production - Calgary | Globalnews.ca

https://globalnews.ca/news/4582995/c...to-production/

Interesting.

Not sure if this is actually the first. Didn’t such things get created in the past for vets? (I’m not sure if it’s still there, but at Gunn just off the highway there was a little “village” of tiny homes dating back to the 50s or 60s. For some reason now, maybe something my parents said many decades ago, I’m of the impression that it was for guys that may have been in the military. ... or maybe not.
    Last edited by KC; 26-10-2018 at 09:48 AM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Think those tiny homes at Gunn are for men with addictions and/or mental health issues: http://www.humanservices.alberta.ca/...ess/14631.html
    ... gobsmacked

Great idea..homes for heroes.I really like this, it helps them transition

It is a great idea. What has me surprised is that there is no subdivision for this already. It caters to people who can't afford large homes or those that are keen on this even though they may have higher median income. There is a trend to a basic lifestyle now, and it is gaining momentum as cost of living is stressing so many.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Canada’s first veterans village of tiny homes goes into production - Calgary | Globalnews.ca

https://globalnews.ca/news/4582995/c...to-production/

Interesting.

Not sure if this is actually the first. Didn’t such things get created in the past for vets? (I’m not sure if it’s still there, but at Gunn just off the highway there was a little “village” of tiny homes dating back to the 50s or 60s. For some reason now, maybe something my parents said many decades ago, I’m of the impression that it was for guys that may have been in the military. ... or maybe not.
    More on Gunn. Seems that I may be conflagrating two uses of the place:

[quote]
    ALBERTA – Canadian Military History

Barb
    January 5, 2015 at 4:30 pm (UTC -5) Link to this comment
    There was a radar station in Gunn Alberta, the facilities are being used by the McCullough Centre.
    http://humanservices.alberta.ca/homelessness/14631.html

I don’t know much about it but I believe it closed in the 50s, the centre is using some of the old PMQs”

http://militarybruce.com/abandoned-c...-line/alberta/

[quote]

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    It is a great idea. What has me surprised is that there is no subdivision for this already. It caters to people who can't afford large homes or those that are keen on this even though they may have higher median income. There is a trend to a basic lifestyle now, and it is gaining momentum as cost of living is stressing so many.
    Maybe they could use Blatchford, that seems to be an epic fail and a money pit

Why does this sort of thing need its own subdivision? Why can't we just build small houses next to bigger ones everywhere?

Because in my imagination, it would look incredible and distinct. Small homes don't have to look like a shack. I have thought about this concept for about 5 or 6 years now. The process in which I envisioned would include furniture built in
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 26-10-2018 at 02:06 PM.

Also for a sense of community around common experiences as well as efficient service delivery. A case worker driving 15 to 30 minutes between households has less service delivery time available than one asking next door.

As for the design - are they joined with a trough in the roof? ...and a seam at the bottom of the valley.

I don't think that tiny houses need their own subdivision. They should be in clusters throughout the city. perhaps a dozen or so in each location.

It could work that way as well. It was just something I have envisioned long ago based on preliminary concepts in which I would do using the our traditional avenue and street grid. I just prefer to see something new and different; as well, I like to see our city be innovators rather than imitators. Sure we could follow what others have done. This concept is not about low income vs higher income should anyone have any misinterpretation of that although this idea would give those an opportunity where they thought they couldn't afford a home. There are many above average earners I know that desire the simplicity factor of this.

I think placing these homes( after listening to some vets) together, social workers are able to complete their work easily, and quickly. Plus they support one another. I'm very interested in this project..and I have approached our elected officials

A similar project was launched in Kansas City, Mo., earlier this year. According to CNN, 11 men and two women are now living in the Veterans Community Project, where they have not only their own tiny house, but also access to free health care, dental care, veterinary services, and job resources.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    I don't think that tiny houses need their own subdivision. They should be in clusters throughout the city. perhaps a dozen or so in each location.
    they wouldn’t “need their own subdivision” but typical planning/zoning would not accommodate them on the traditional “single family lot” model where each home has its own lot and all of its own services and connection fees and side yard requirements on too deep lots. this is the sort of thing that should be allowed in virtually every subdivision by allowing them on multi family sites. on that basis they could be provided free, they could be rented or - if the city would permit it - they could be owned on a condominium or bare land strata basis. each of those models would be substantially less expensive than complying with zoning and building code requirements for tiny single lots. each off those models would allow for things like common amenities - everything from dining rooms to fitness facilities to community gardens etc.
    Last edited by kcantor; 28-10-2018 at 03:55 PM.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Basically a modified multi family zoning if the current zoning laws don't permit them as is. I could see some seniors wanting something like this as well. Smaller, easier to care for but not in a traditional multi unit seniors residence.