Thread: 100 years since the end of The War to End All Wars

Default 100 years since the end of The War to End All Wars

Commemoration of the end of World War One

'Thank you' to veterans: Vimy Ridge 1st stop on Trudeau's tour to mark 100 years since armistice

Dreary, damp skies and a chilling wind greeted the prime minister when he arrived off his overnight flight from Ottawa Saturday morning. But just as it was a century ago, Vimy Ridge remains a place for stoicism and national pride.

"You stand for the values upon which Canada was built, values like democracy, equality, justice and liberty. And what I can barely know, you will never forget," Trudeau told a half-dozen representatives of veterans' organizations following a wreath laying in the small cemetery on the memorial's grounds.

"From the very bottom of our hearts, thank you."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tru...vimy-1.4900636

Prince Harry prepares to lay a wreath before the England and New Zealand rugby match at Twickenham Stadium in London on November 10

A bagpiper plays from the tower of the World War I Australian National Memorial in Villers-Bretonneux, France on November 10. The memorial walls at the site bear the names of 11,000 Australian soldiers who died in France during the war.Francisco Seco/AP

A Canadian soldier attends the unveiling of a monument for Canadian World War I soldier George Lawrence Price in Le Roeulx, Belgium, on November 10. Price was the last Canadian soldier to die in World War I, shot just minutes before the armistice.Geert Vanden Wijngaert/AP

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau places a flower at a gravestone as he tours the Canadian Cemetery No. 2 near Vimy Ridge, France, on November 10.Adrian Wyld/AP

92 year old Queen Elizabeth II attending a ceremony to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the end of WWI. She's also a WWII Veteran.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

75 years ago today the bloody liberation of Europe was about to start.

Reading the stories and watching the History channel every year around this time is fascinating. The logistics, the blood bath, the planning, training , deception and those thousands of soldiers sailing across the channel. Who only knows what their thoughts would have been.

C2E SME

Thank you to all Canadian and Allied soldiers who helped win our freedom on D-Day!
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

It looks like the dude on cenotaph duty went from LAC to Corporal in the course of one day? He's wearing a prop in the first pic and chevrons in the second.
    Sure looks like the same guy.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Must have borrowed a buddy’s jacket as Trudeau required a higher rank.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    92 year old Queen Elizabeth II attending a ceremony to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the end of WWI.n She's also a WWII Veteran.

A veteran of WHAT?
    Mollycoddling and perhaps an unexpected displacement?
    Meanwhile there were tens of thousands that were laying their lives on the line for King and the Empire.
    Giving equivalent status to a Monarch that had no active combat duty is a blight on the definition of "a veteran".
    Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Must have borrowed a buddy’s jacket as Trudeau required a higher rank.
    If that's the reasoning behind it then there's already something fundamentally wrong with the whole picture.
    You don't do this **** within the established military structure. Never.
    Maybe his promotion came in during the course of the ceremony?
    My best bet...

Quote Originally Posted by Iron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    92 year old Queen Elizabeth II attending a ceremony to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the end of WWI.n She's also a WWII Veteran.

A veteran of WHAT?
    Mollycoddling and perhaps an unexpected displacement?
    Meanwhile there were tens of thousands that were laying their lives on the line for King and the Empire.
    Giving equivalent status to a Monarch that had no active combat duty is a blight on the definition of "a veteran".
    Just my opinion.

I don’t know how you would differentiate between who should and shouldn’t have equal status.

The vast majority of military personnel aren’t on the front lines if that’s what you mean by active combat. The majority are support. I think it’s anywhere from 2 out of 3 to 8 out of ten are support. (Tooth to tail ratio stuff.)Attrition moved them to the front lines so they are potentially putting their lives on the line.

I recall that the Queen was trained as a mechanic and/or military ambulance driver and stayed rather than being sent to a safe country. I’m not sure if the fact that she was royalty made her more or less of a target.

“She answered: “I’d give everything I possess to be an ordinary person like one of my own friends and be an A.T.S. officer. But I cannot do that. I have to be always at everyone’s beck and call. Therefore, I should be of no use.”

http://www.helensburgh-heritage.co.u...ces&Itemid=493

Millions of civilians though were targeted, killed and forgotten. No direct honouring of them ever. Mass murder, “genocide” by some definitions committed by all sides (bombing London, Dresden...).
    Last edited by KC; 23-06-2019 at 07:19 AM.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iron View Post
    It looks like the dude on cenotaph duty went from LAC to Corporal in the course of one day? He's wearing a prop in the first pic and chevrons in the second.
    Sure looks like the same guy.
    It looks similar, but the hair is longer and the beard is fuller. I know I have a really good friend, that if we stand together people would swear we're brothers. He's even an adopted son of his family here in Canada (he has Scottish roots).

I'll believe that there is some good left, and that if it is the same individual, the promotion was deserved and already in the works.
    President and CEO - Airshow.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rupikhalon001 View Post
    75 years ago today the bloody liberation of Europe was about to start.

Reading the stories and watching the History channel every year around this time is fascinating. The logistics, the blood bath, the planning, training , deception and those thousands of soldiers sailing across the channel. Who only knows what their thoughts would have been.
    I am sure every one of them was scared. You couldn't be otherwise. Even when masked by bravado and bravery...no one knew if this would work. Even Ike had a failure letter penned....

While I too pause on the anniversary of Operation Overlord, one thing I keep bringing up is that the war was not over June 7th, 1944. There were several hard-fought battles to be had...many more casualties to be suffered...horrors...

Just recently, I had a conversation with someone younger than me who thought that D-Day's victory meant the war was done, and that the road to victory was a "cruise". Hardly. Both Japan and Germany fought to the end...the absolute devastation of these areas is hard to fathom. I still say that we are a spoiled generation (as are the ones after me) as we don't know true suffering...I include myself in the spoiled brat list. We have issues, concerns, etc...but the fact we can have issues and concerns is simply due to the people from the Silent Generation being literally thrown into ridiculous situations and extreme horror to defend us from the madness that was coming our way...

Operation Overlord is no better metaphor for this madness...throwing flesh and bone against steel, concrete, and high-velocity hot lead....hoping the numbers "work out"...they all knew that....so yes, they were all scared...

Respect is more than taking a moment to pause and reflect. Those that survived the Juno landings continued to be scared...they were nowhere near out of the woods yet.
    President and CEO - Airshow.