Thread: Comical influences of your youth

Default Comical influences of your youth

Your favourite cartoons, games, and/or cartoonist characters (The Batman, Captain Kirk, etc) from your youth and how did they influence you and others?

Any thoughts on then and now and on the people that draw, write and create the strips, games, shows of the past vs now?

BBC - Culture - Good Grief!: The beguiling philosophy of Peanuts

Peanuts creator Charles M Schulz claimed his comic strips were “about nothing” – but according to a new exhibition, they had a seismic influence on society, writes Cameron Laux.

By Cameron Laux 13 November

“Who was its creator? Schulz seems to have been Protestant to the core, in the old-fashioned sense. He was quiet, decent, thoughtful, modest and so hard-working that he didn’t like holidays. He grew up in Minnesota in the US: one of those states with hot summers and cryogenic winters, which doesn’t have many dots on it when you see it on a map. He served with the US Army in Europe during World War Two (“the army taught me all I needed to know about loneliness”). He loved hockey and ice skating so much that when he moved to California later in life he ...”

“When I was growing up in the middle of nowhere in western Canada, I loved Charles M Schulz’s Peanuts comic strips.

“The paediatrician Benjamin Spock, the psychologist Timothy Leary, and the psychiatrist Donald Winnicott all corresponded with him.”

“From the beginning, Schulz was unusual in making his female characters as...”

“I’m not being ironic when I suggest that Schulz’s sketches are ‘Great Art’ ”

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201...phy-of-peanuts

Developers and critics confront sexism in video games at Ottawa conference | CBC News

"It's not bad intent. So most people who make these mistakes aren't bad people, they aren't sexist people. They just made a faulty assumption, or went for a cheap cliché. It's usually trying to get from point A to point B too fast, and missing something," she said.

As a result, women characters end up in stereotypically sexist situations in a game's narrative, such as the victim, love interest, or sexual conquest, according to Kerzner. ...”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ence-1.3552244

How children develop a sense of humour

“So when it comes to children’s humour, we need to be patient. And thank goodness for that – those Disney and Pixar movies would be so much harder to sit through without the off-colour jokes that go over the children’s heads. For now, we enjoy just stealing noses.”

http://theconversation.com/how-child...f-humour-77028

New Research Finds No Link Between Violent Video Games and Aggression - Pacific Standard

But much research suggests playing such games can increase aggressive behavior away from the video console. In 2015, an American Psychological Association task force concluded as much, while adding there is insufficient evidence to say whether the link extends to violence or delinquency.

That said, the issue is far from settled, and a newly released study finds playing games produces no long-term ill effects—at least among adults.

"This finding stands in contrast to some experimental studies," writes a research team led by Simone Kühn of the Max Planck Institute for Human Development. "However, (the previously reported) effects of violent video gaming on aggressiveness—if present at all—seem to be rather short-lived, potentially lasting less than 15 minutes."

"In addition, these short-term effects of video gaming are far from consistent," the researchers add, "as multiple studies fail to demonstrate or replicate them." ...

https://psmag.com/news/dont-blame-gta

Kids TV Shows Gender Stereotypes, Toxic Masculinity

“And so it's a bit of a paradox that children are learning stereotypes just as adults are trying to dismantle them. Or maybe cartoons haven't felt like the most pressing place for us to tamp down the patriarchy. "You can’t prevent gender stereotypes in preschoolers because, essentially, they are a shortcut in thinking," ...”

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/kid...es-stereotypes

Gender Stereotypes Are Messing with Your Kid | Common Sense Media
    https://www.commonsensemedia.org/blo...-with-your-kid

Hmm: no one talks about the stereotypes reflected/reinforced via: Wilma Flintstone vs Fred Flintstone, Betty Rubble vs Barney Rubble, ... Jetsons...

Bolding was mine
    Last edited by KC; 17-11-2018 at 08:33 AM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Peanuts was one of the more cereberal of the daily funnies, and I'd like to say that I was the kind of kid who had it as his favorite, but that would be a lie. I much prefered Dennis The Menace, with its lowbrow, cutesy slapstick. I remember being ticked off that someone gave me a Peanuts book as a gift rather than Dennis The Menace.

Other than that, I mostly disliked reading comic books, because they were usually running stories(in the manner of soap operas), and they always had references to things that had taken place in previous books(eg. the footnotes in Spiderman telling you to "See Spidey #133" in order to understand what was going on). So after a few stabs, I gave up reading the superhero stuff.

The only comics I ever read with anything close to regularity were Archie, and horror comics(eg. House Of Secrets, Midnight The Witching Hour), both of which had one-off stories that weren't continued from previous books. And a few of the Marvel Classic Comics, probably for the same reason.

I'd rather C2E than work!

As a stereotypic Edmontonian, it was Archie, Jughead, Moose, Veronica, Mr. Lodge, Betty, Reggie, Miss Grundy et al.

Apparently Edmonton was that comic's most devoted market.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    As a stereotypic Edmontonian, it was Archie, Jughead, Moose, Veronica, Mr. Lodge, Betty, Reggie, Miss Grundy et al.

Apparently Edmonton was that comic's most devoted market.
    Also, for Heavy Metal magazine, for a while in the 80s anyway.

The Archie connection got us some exec from the company flying up here after the '87 tornado to donate some money.