Thread: Seattle Awarded NHL Franchise

C2E SME

Default Seattle Awarded NHL Franchise

"Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Call them the Seattle Cranes and have the cast of Frasier as mascots.

^Haha! Love it

Now it's time to start looking at Florida and Arizona as franchises to move. Florida for sure! It's not working at all down there and they have to give away tickets to all their games.

C2E Long Term Contributor

^^ha!

^Hamilton, QC would be fantastic, alas Bettman
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I don't know that I would blame bettman for Hamilton, That's a territory dispute between the sabres and the leafs.

QC will get a team when one needs to relocate. With the weak dollar, I doubt they have the money for an expansion team.

I'd rather C2E than work!

No way either the Leafs or Sabres allow a team to relocate to Hamilton.

QC? That would work - keeping the team in the East Division.

But the relocation fee would be the issue - at least as much as Seattle paid for an expansion franchise - $650M
    ... gobsmacked

Quebec wasn’t brought in with Vegas because the declining value of the Canadian dollar was undermining their bid. The fan support is a given in Quebec, but could the team generate enough revenue to financially justify spending that much on a team?At that point, the price for an expansion franchise was $500 million. Just six years ago, the Jets re-entered the NHL from Atlanta for $170 million, which included a $60 million relocation fee. Quebec’s path to the NHL could be five times that amount.
    Today, the NHL is asking for a $650 million expansion fee from Seattle.
    https://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...0-million.html

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    alas Bettman

Bettman does what his employers tell him to do: raise league revenues. Quebec is a very, very marginal and mediocre market for the NHL. Even in comparison to Arizona or Florida. It is highly unlikely we'll see an expansion to Quebec City. As Medwards said, they might get an emergency relocation a la Winnipeg, but even that's doubtful. The NHL has Houston lined up along with likely one or two others on the Eastern seaboard. If not a return to Atlanta if they can find a decent owner. The NHL is desperate to get/keep teams in the biggest US TV markets, because TV deals are the lifeblood of the other 3 major pro sports leagues in North America. Look at where Houston, Phoenix, and Atlanta sit in terms of population or economy rankings in the US. And just because a team plays to a half empty building doesn't mean they're not generating revenues for the league. Remember, NHL teams generally get exclusive use of their arenas, so even if say Florida is getting killed on hockey attendance they could still be breaking even on concert and other revenue.

And yes, a team in Hamilton would be an incredibly thorny issue as there would have to be some sort of market encroachment fee paid to Toronto, Buffalo and maybe even Detroit.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 05-12-2018 at 11:05 AM.

Besides, the NHL is still thinking of having a team in Calgary!

What about Portland. This way, they could realign the division and make travel so much better for us- Edm, Cal, Van, Seatle, Port?

C2E SME

Portland is only about 2/3's the size of Seattle and doesn't have nearly the corporate support (although there is a cluster of sports/athletics wear company offices). Seattle is a slam dunk, but Portland might be a bit more marginal.

I get that, but it shouldn't be different than Edmonton with an extra 1 million in population (metro)."We don't have that many Corporates either. Nevertheless, I'm surprised it took the league this long to put a team in Seatle.

C2E SME

Portland has an NBA team already, keep in mind. In Edmonton the Oilers are the only game in town. That also plays in to things.

Forgot about Houston.

Yeah, there will be a team there one day. It's a market all ready for a hockey team.

Marcel, you said an Eastern seaboard team. I doubt Atlanta is ever thought of again. Twice bitten.

How about a place like Baltimore? Or would the Caps fight that one off?

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy View Post
    Forgot about Houston.

Yeah, there will be a team there one day. It's a market all ready for a hockey team.

Marcel, you said an Eastern seaboard team. I doubt Atlanta is ever thought of again. Twice bitten.

How about a place like Baltimore? Or would the Caps fight that one off?
    Well, given the track records of Atlanta teams, maybe Canadians should be rooting for them to be awarded another franchise?

For the East coast, I just checked Hartford's metro population, and , as of 2010, it is somewhere between 1.2-1.4 million. I wonder if that would be another choice that could be plausible?
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Portlanders like their Winterhawks WHL team. But maybe they also like the price point, which isn't what they'd pay for an NHL game.

So, future west expansion? With the NFL gone, I'm liking San Diego.

East? With one of Canada's richest men backing it - wouldn't count Quebec City out at all. Bit of a stretch, but possibly Houston. Huge media market and hungry to keep up with the Dallas Jonses.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E SME

Oklahoma City, Salt Lake.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Portlanders like their Winterhawks WHL team. But maybe they also like the price point, which isn't what they'd pay for an NHL game.

East? With one of Canada's richest men backing it - wouldn't count Quebec City out at all. Bit of a stretch, but possibly Houston. Huge media market and hungry to keep up with the Dallas Jonses.
    Quebec City is still too small for the NHL.
    San Diego already has competition with the two LA-area teams (Kings and Ducks).
    Portland - marginal at best.
    Houston is likely the next expansion location.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post

Quebec City is still too small for the NHL.
    San Diego already has competition with the two LA-area teams (Kings and Ducks).
    Portland - marginal at best.
    Houston is likely the next expansion location.
    Sorry to burst your bubble(s) guys but the NHL is done expanding - at least in our life times - Houston will be soon the home of the Flamers...relocation only for the next 20 years only I'm afraid.

Maybe Florida will end up in QC

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Maybe Florida will end up in QC
    Gawd I hope not!!!! Even though me and you paid for their new empty arena with our taxes.....they don't deserve a team now or ever!

thats a falsehood. maclac, we didn't pay for their arena.

Indirectly we did through federal payments. They get 90% of it. Take in welfare to sustain an economy and building a tax funded arena would tell me there is misappropriation of funds somewhere... That is like being on welfare and driving a Mercedes which they dont equate with each other.

As per Quebec getting a relocation, I welcome another Canadian entree into the league.

Having a team back in Quebec City is a very good competition with Montreal.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Indirectly we did through federal payments. They get 90% of it. Take in welfare to sustain an economy and building a tax funded arena would tell me there is misappropriation of funds somewhere... That is like being on welfare and driving a Mercedes which they dont equate with each other.

As per Quebec getting a relocation, I welcome another Canadian entree into the league.
    Let's just put this whole expansion/relocation to QC to bed - ain't ever gonna happen in our life times - debate is over....thx

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Until you have a seconder for closing a debate, and the motion is duly carried, let's carry on shall we.

Never know how much stock to put in these kind of stories, but this article claims Bettman is nervous about a Quebec City team being owned by the separatist Pierre Karl Peladeau:

It also was easy for Bettman to right a wrong by moving Atlanta to Winnipeg because the True North ownership group had added David Thomson, part of the richest family in Canada.

The NHL commissioner would like to see a similar situation with Quebec City. He has concerns with Peladeau, although he gladly accepts the $125 million Cdn a season from his sports network, TVA, for the regional French-language NHL television rights.

If say Power Corporation's Paul Desmarais Jr. and his family were involved with the Quebec City bid, Bettman would be ecstatic and help the provincial capital lasso a team.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...gain-1.4931685

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post

Let's just put this whole expansion/relocation to QC to bed - ain't ever gonna happen in our life times - debate is over....thx
    Then don't talk about it, and let the rest of us discuss as we like with or without your permission.