Thread: Peter's Drive-In finally comes to Edmonton

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Peter's Drive-In finally comes to Edmonton

Iconic Peters’ Drive-In ‘very excited’ to announce Edmonton location

Opening at 51 Ave between Gateway Blvd and Calgary Trail as early as this fall.
    I think I'm one of the few Albertans who has never eaten there before.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'm having a hard time envisioning this on 51st avenue. I wonder if it's really 48th which would make more sense

C2E Continued Contributor

Meh, never been a fan.....been once in the 80's. Milkshakes are fine, everything else is overrated. Might splurge on a milkshake for the little one in the summer, but that's it. Burgers are covered in a BBQ sauce or something similar. Their burgers remind me of the scene in the "Outsiders" when Johnny Boy is inhaling the burger and has a similar "bbq sauce" all over his face.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Think this might be where they are building. North of the Cedar Park Inn on the east side of Calgary Trail across from the Toyota dealership.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4890...NsnXwsEE2w!2e0

Have to admit, I really like their milkshakes.

Iconic? Who are they as I never heard of them? I have heard and know of the Iconic 'Jack's Drive Through' in Spruce Grove that has been there for 1/2 + century.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    Think this might be where they are building. North of the Cedar Park Inn on the east side of Calgary Trail across from the Toyota dealership.

Have to admit, I really like their milkshakes.
    Makes sense, worst brownfield in the city! 2 hotels were supposed to be built there by now. But the way they're building hotels further South, I guess these fell by the way side. Btw, whatever did happen to that "New Westin" that was supposed to be built somewhere near Ellerslie Rd? I have a feeling that this "new Westin" actually got built in the West end as the "new Westin Element" hotel - attached to the new "Sheraton - Now Marriott - "Four Points."

^^Good point about Jack's Drive-In in Spruce Grove. Lots of parallels between Jack's and Peter's. Independent Alberta-based burger joints are becoming all too rare.

If an Edmonton icon like the Italian Centre can open a store in Calgary, Peter's is more than welcome to open an outlet in Edmonton.

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post

Yes, that's exactly where this will be.

C2E SME

This is nice to see this location to be filled. It will definitely be a boost for the hotels nearby too.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I love Peters milkshakes, we spent a lot of time there when we had family living in Calgary, good food.

Outdoor dining space “in a park-like setting.”?

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Outdoor dining space “in a park-like setting.”?
    That the retail version of tinder profile embellishment

Leading to extreme disappointment upon seeing it in person.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

The Burger Baron has had much to say about this on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Burger_Baron?ref...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post
    The Burger Baron has had much to say about this on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Burger_Baron?ref...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
    Wow. That is funny!!!

Used to be great - and very popular. Would sometimes stop there in the 1980s on ski trips.

5 Decades of Stories From Peters’ Drive-In | Avenue Calgary

February 8, 2017

“Peters’ Drive-In became a nationally recognized burger joint in 1971 after it was awarded the “supreme” winner in The Canadian Magazine’s coast-to-coast burger taste test. The tasting team spent two days travelling from St. John’s to Victoria, sampling burgers from the 11 finalists. It was Peters’ Drive-In that won the Golden Flipper trophy — the second place winner was located in Montreal and the third place winner was located in Moncton.

The awards are still coming in, too. Late last year, Peters’ Drive-In was recognized by the Matador Network as one of the 21 best burgers from around the world. (That’s probably because the burgers are never frozen, they are made fresh every day and they’re chain grilled.)

...”

https://www.avenuecalgary.com/restau...ters-drive-in/
    Last edited by KC; 10-02-2019 at 09:08 PM.

It's more a cult than a good burger. True that comment about the patty's drowning in BBQ sauce.

This from an ex-Calgarian.
    ... gobsmacked

Cross ref:

2015 thread:

Calgary's Peters Drive In -coming to Red Deer & ?? Edmonton ??

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...r-amp-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    It's more a cult than a good burger. True that comment about the patty's drowning in BBQ sauce.

What does “good” mean anyways?

I love their milkshakes, they put everyone else's to shame. A burgers a burger imho, the best are always home made.
    My husband had one, it wasn't swimming in BBQ sauce..but he makes them so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

Good=not a peters burger

Not a high priest burger.yuck! gross..

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

Good=not a peters burger
    Don’t know what is - just what isn’t?

Yet other people say they are good burgers. Shocking!

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post
    Wow. That is funny!!!

That account is just savage...oilers...Pete's....
    President and CEO - Airshow.

That Burger Baron account just makes them look like a-holes.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E SME

It's not actually Burger Baron behind that account. And it is indeed occasionally hilarious.

One man's burger is another man's poison. So subjective, this sort of thing.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    It's not actually Burger Baron behind that account. And it is indeed occasionally hilarious.
    You know that Burger Baron isn't set up like a normal corporate structure, right, but various splinter groups. I remember reading an interesting article a number of years ago about how it's a fractured group of restaurants. It's entirely possible that one of those groups runs the Twitter account.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Come on. I think it's pretty obvious that the dude running that twitter account has no real affiliation with Burger Baron. But in case you have any doubt about that, there have been articles written on the subject: http://www.gigcity.ca/2016/05/28/bur...twitter-troll/
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

The Bogus Baron knows Edmonton very well, stays on top of the news, loves/hates the Oilers and may or may not hang out at the Gas Pump.
    Top_Dawg?

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    You know that Burger Baron isn't set up like a normal corporate structure, right, but various splinter groups. I remember reading an interesting article a number of years ago about how it's a fractured group of restaurants. It's entirely possible that one of those groups runs the Twitter account.
    I remember the same article. It’s like The Eagle. (It’s a gay bar). You can use the “Eagle” name without payment or monthly fees.... resulting in more of a brotherhood than a consistent chain with set standards and Corp oversight

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    The Bogus Baron knows Edmonton very well, stays on top of the news, loves/hates the Oilers and may or may not hang out at the Gas Pump.
    The person who writes the Top_Dawg persona?
    FTFY

It wasn't broken - you "fixed it" for yourself.

7-293457112
    July 09, 2019
    5151 - CALGARY TRAIL NW
    Plan 1920849 Blk 94 Lot 1A

To construct an Assembly Restaurant use building with outdoor patio and a dual-lane drive-through, building 1, ''PETER'S DRIVE-IN''.