Thread: Strathcona's Unbuilt Terracotta Cathedral

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Strathcona's Unbuilt Terracotta Cathedral

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1114261097526091776
    @ianoyeg

From High Level Motion Picture Company
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Who knew? We still don't. Is there something that explains what the picture is about?
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Unbuilt, but construction began prior to WWII starting...shame it was never completed.
    www.decl.org

Where the Basilica is now on 109st?
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Any other images of this?
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Tennis courts/community building.
    www.decl.org

Why even bother posting this story without any references to let us know what it's about?
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Right!
    www.decl.org

It's standard procedure for IanO "I know something you don't know"

Geez again with the childishness.

He told us the source. Is he supposed to do a research study before posting?

I checked the source and found nothing.

I did not know that this was a CSI forum
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I’m happy. I now know something interesting that I didn’t know anything about before and something I can’t find anything more about via the internet (which isn’t surprising since it’s become more like a daily tv newscast than a library).

So now thanks to IanO, we have a thread to build on.

I don't know the history or story and posting this might help draw that out... but thanks KK.
    www.decl.org

I too was intrigued by this and could not find anything on the links. I speculate that this refers to the time when the Catholic Diocese was translated from Saint Albert to Edmonton in 1912 The plan seems to have been to have built a new centre, complete with Cathedral, on land originally donated by Larry Garneau, about where the Garneau lawn bowls, and later tennis courts eventually appeared. I got most of my information from a piece in The Edmonton Bulletin of May 29th, 1915. I am attempting to affix a transcript of a snippet below. In those days both The Bulletin and The Journal reported a lot of Church news.
    Although the sketch is interesting, I would not read too much into it. 1912 saw the last of the great real estate booms before The Great War. Lots of goofy projects were floated around, but within a year the Boom turned to Bust and then The War pushed everything aside. There was no post war recovery to speak of, and then The Great Depression came along. Besides this, the old Bishop died and perhaps the new guy had different plans than did the old guy. The excavations were, in my opinion, lucky to have got that far.
    Of course, I may be talking about a completely different Cathedral!

"A Metropolitan Cathedral.

Two years ago the old See of St. Albert was raised to the dignity of an archbishopric, and as the population of Edmonton at that time reached nearly 60,000 inhabitants, the metropolitan see, instead of remaining at St. Albert, was transferred to Edmonton, the capital of the province of Alberta. This took place on the 30th November, 1912. Later on, the Holy See directed that the new cathedral and the residence of the archbishop should be also in Edmonton.
    No better place could have been found for the new cathedral and the archbishop's residence than Edmonton South and this the Metropolitan Church will be built on or near the original spot where St. Anthony's Church had first intended to be erected. The plans for the new cathedral, which will be one of the finest church buildings in the west, are ready, and the excavations have been made last year, but owing to the hard times and stringencies of money the work had to be postponed till after the war. The buildings of the cathedral, the archbishop's palace and the seminaries in connection with the cathedral will occupy two or three blocks and will thus help greatly to improve the sunny side of Edmonton."