Thread: Whyte Avenue car burnings

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Whyte Avenue car burnings

http://tinyurl.com/y5hzxeha

The person in the red vehicle near the beginning just keeps driving after the flames spike up from the hood. Serious question, is that proper safety procedure if your car gets torched?

Drive quickly to blow the flames out!
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post

The person in the red vehicle near the beginning just keeps driving after the flames spike up from the hood. Serious question, is that proper safety procedure if your car gets torched?
    Option 1 - drive a little further away from the crazed person, get out then
    Option 2 - get out right there with that dude still going crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post

Also, if it’s going to burn and maybe explode a bit, where do you abandon it? In front of what?

Then also there’s the WTF is happening thinking. Road Rage? Did I just drive over his dog? Is this the start of some attack? Others involved? Well, this isn’t how I planned my evening... Finally a way to get rid of this crappy car...

The guy with the gas can may have been quite lucky that the gas fumes in the container didn’t ignite and explode the can itself.

Common sense when refueling anything hot but people just don’t think about the fumes.

Warning: Scientists say gas cans carry risk of explosion

The tests show that under certain limited conditions—including a very low volume of gasoline left inside—a flashback explosion can occur inside a plastic gas can, when gas vapor escaping the can contacts a source of ignition such as a flame or a spark. The vapor outside the container can ignite and “flash back” inside the can. If it does, and if the gas/air vapor mixture inside the can is a certain concentration, that mixture can ignite and cause an explosion of flame.

https://www.cnbc.com/2013/12/04/warn...explosion.html

Last edited by KC; 13-04-2019 at 06:58 PM.

That's a point.

I don't drive, and don't know anything about how a gas fire on a hood would interact with what's under the hood. So I was thinking my first impulse would be just to get the hell out of the car right away, lest it all suddenly combust, and factoring in that the guy seemed to be walking away from my general area anyway.

Apparently, that actually is what she was thinking.

"Venne said she was in pure shock, but responded quickly by trying to catch wind while rounding the corner onto Whyte Avenue, which helped extinguish the flames. She then pulled over in front of a shop and poured water over the hood with help from her friend in the passenger seat."

http://tinyurl.com/yxtddun5

Name your kid Malice and wonder what happens. I'm half joking with that, but who would name their kid Malice? Some bad news parents?
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Name your kid Malice and wonder what happens. I'm half joking with that, but who would name their kid Malice? Some bad news parents?
    Going by his age, it was likely some sort of Gen X irony thing.

The comment on the name was strictly tongue in cheek.

I've seen the Facebook profile. Kind of got a taste of yet another youth that are disillusioned, fake rapper tough, and that really have so little social or societal compass that they would truly believe that these arsonist actions were just funny. Probably not a first time. This 22yr old did these actions as a lark. For something to do. They walk among us. In the same week another youth got sentenced for attacking the female driver. Then denying his involvement ever since. sigh

This is not in any way to diminish the countless productive youth that are making solid contributions to society, but man, I wish for a world where there were less dangerous sociopaths about.
    Last edited by Replacement; 15-04-2019 at 07:03 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

That's a point.

I don't drive, and don't know anything about how a gas fire on a hood would interact with what's under the hood. So I was thinking my first impulse would be just to get the hell out of the car right away, lest it all suddenly combust, and factoring in that the guy seemed to be walking away from my general area anyway.

Fire on the hood is not going to be much of an issue. There will be a vapour layer between the hood and the flames that will keep the hood cool for a bit...just like your flaming alcoholic drinks. For it to have gone into the engine, it would have to be a substantial fire, and probably from lower in the crankcase/oilpan area to cause any damage. Lighting the tires however...that one if left unchecked would burn your car to the ground.

Driving away is the right thing. It is a good thing that her window wasn't rolled down, or that it was not a ragtop. Given his state of mind, tossing fuel into a cabin and throwing a match may not be far off reality...and that is a frightening thought.
    President and CEO - Airshow.

The comment on the name was strictly tongue in cheek.

I've seen the Facebook profile. Kind of got a taste of yet another youth that are disillusioned, fake rapper tough, and that really have so little social or societal compass that they would truly believe that these arsonist actions were just funny. Probably not a first time. This 22yr old did these actions as a lark. For something to do. They walk among us. In the same week another youth got sentenced for attacking the female driver. Then denying his involvement ever since. sigh

This is not in any way to diminish the countless productive youth that are making solid contributions to society, but man, I wish for a world where there were less dangerous sociopaths about.
    There’s been a major shift over the decades in how kids are raised in the sense that entitlement is pervasive. Moreover, kids entertainment seems dominated by writers and cartoons with significant negative issues or life experiences. Maybe major chips on their shoulders or something but the hostility and attacks or negative portrayals of parents are incredible.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Was he drunk? A tweaker? God almighty what a fool. What great people that chased and cornered him..
    Animals are my passion.

This guy wasn't "looking for somethng to do" - he brought a gas can, filled, and a few other containers he tried as Molotov cocktails behind Vivid Print before going onto the avenue. That's not an act of idle vandalism.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...