Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Oilers - 2019 off-season thread

C2E Continued Contributor

One of Holland's top priorities this off-season should be to unclog the bottom 2/3 of the defense. Right now it is a very expensive, underperforming mix of players. The Oilers need to open up roster spots and reallocate cap space to fill other holes, adding Zaitsev to the the mix would only make the problem worse.
    At least one, and possibly two, of Russell, Sekera, Benning, and Nurse will likely need to be moved this offseason. Replacing any of them with Zaitsev would be nonsensical.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Nurse is almost an untouchable while Benning is still young and cheap, which means Russell or Sekera will go.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

Some people seem to think that it's wise to trade Nurse after a good season raised his value, and before they have to extend him on a new contract. I think that's absolute madness given how high his ceiling is. I don't think he's going to be a true #1 because he doesn't have the offense or skill required, but his even strength point production has been excellent for a couple seasons in a row, so he might well prove me wrong there. Here's to hoping that they can lock him down with an 8 year contract along the lines of Klefbom's. The number will probably be 5+, but unless he puts up 50+ points this year, I don't see him being able to get much more than that.

It is ok to make the distinction between saying a player 'should be traded' vs 'could be traded'. $5M is still a big ticket if you ultimately think he ends up being a second pair guy behind Klefbom. It is worth exploring what the return would be, in my opinion.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

If trading Nurse solves more problems than it creates, you'd have to consider it. I kinda doubt we'll see that, but with a new GM, you never know. He presumably feels no sense of attachment to almost any roster player that he's inherited -- which can be a good thing, sometimes, and can also be a disaster (see: Chiarelli, P. and his disastrous style of asset management).
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

I'd rather C2E than work!

^^

LMAO. Well, the Ducks were in the toilet last year, Eakins can't make them any worse.

I mean, he can't, right?
    ... gobsmacked

“Dallas is an outstanding head coach"

hahahahaha

I like as well in the article how they go through his past CV citing his record including the Oilers record under him, which was a deplorable 36-63-14, awfully hard to be that bad in the capped, parity based 3 pt NHL.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E SME

He's actually been pretty forthright about his faceplant in Edmonton, on the how and why. Seems like he's learned a bunch from it. The guy IS an outstanding AHL coach, with a career record of 311-239-34. Whether he can translate that to the NHL remains to be seen.

Puljujarvi has requested a trade because he wants a fresh start elsewhere.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Jesse Puljujarvi tells Oilers: ‘Trade me or I’ll play in Europe’

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...l-play-europe/
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Do we need more pucks right now? If we can get anything for him make that trade, otherwise let him go home.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Do we need more pucks right now? If we can get anything for him make that trade, otherwise let him go home.
    i'm not sure jesse's the biggest part of problem vs how and where he was played when he got the opportunity...

didn't more if his ice time come on a line with lucic than anyone else?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E SME

No question that they totally botched his development and he should have stayed in Europe one more year prior to coming to North America and spending a good amount of time in the AHL. However, apparently from the very start there was a lot of resistance from him and/or his agent on going down to the AHL, even in his first season. It seems like they think he should have immediately been playing top 6 minutes and first power play. There's rumors that he really didn't fit in to the dressing room and didn't have great work/practice habits, which further frustrated his teammates.

Without knowing what happened internally it's tough to apportion blame accurately, but safe to say both sides could have done much better. As far as what to do with him, in my opinion they absolutely should NOT trade him until next year, unless they get a decent offer. But that's incredibly unlikely given how low his value is. Hopefully he goes over to Europe and lights things up to boost his value. Who knows, maybe with some time apart and a good season for both sides, things could be reconciled.

Remember his first shootout attempt where he scored.

And all the coiler fans oohed and ahhed as iif he was the second coming.

Pulju not much of a player. Clumsy, pretty unskilled. Did not differentiate even from a Khaira.

Bottom line is after multiple years if you are not good enough to be a winger on the Edmonton Oilers winger starved roster you aren't good enough to find traction in this league.

The back to Europe cry to me is a face saving acknowledgement that he's not good enough for the NHL.

In anycase he's burning bridge with drafting team doing this and as the Yakupov saga showed once you do that your chance of resurrecting NHL career is much tougher somewhere else. The NHL is a league where every GM tends to prefer, and nurture their own picks. That's the dynamic. Agents should have a better understanding of that. You have to be really good to find success on another team.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Jim Playfair hired as associate coach

C2E SME

In a related note, the Oilers have upped stick orders by 50%: https://youtu.be/PrkR7ih6f3M

C2E SME

Oilers draft Philip Broberg from Sweden. He's 6'3" and 200 pounds and he'll be 18 next week.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E SME

Oilers pick C Raphael Lavoie from the Halifax Mooseheads in the second round.

Rnd Pick Team Player Position H W
    1 8 Philip Broberg
    AIK (Swe2)
    D 6'3 200
    2 38 Raphael Lavoie
    Halifax (QMJHL)
    C 6'4 191
    3 85 Ilya Konovalov
    Yaroslavl (KHL)
    G 6'0 194
    4 100 Matej Blumel
    Waterloo (USHL)
    RW 6'0 198
    6 162 Tomas Mazura
    Kimball Union (High-NH)
    C 6'2 170
    7 193 Maxim Denezhkin
    Yaroslavl (Rus Jr.)
    C 5'10 165

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Oilers pick C Raphael Lavoie from the Halifax Mooseheads in the second round.
    I like both picks. But it's such a crapshoot.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    No question that they totally botched his development and he should have stayed in Europe one more year prior to coming to North America and spending a good amount of time in the AHL. However, apparently from the very start there was a lot of resistance from him and/or his agent on going down to the AHL, even in his first season. It seems like they think he should have immediately been playing top 6 minutes and first power play. There's rumors that he really didn't fit in to the dressing room and didn't have great work/practice habits, which further frustrated his teammates.

Without knowing what happened internally it's tough to apportion blame accurately, but safe to say both sides could have done much better. As far as what to do with him, in my opinion they absolutely should NOT trade him until next year, unless they get a decent offer. But that's incredibly unlikely given how low his value is. Hopefully he goes over to Europe and lights things up to boost his value. Who knows, maybe with some time apart and a good season for both sides, things could be reconciled.
    My feeling is the ship has all but sailed on Puljujarvi. A good skater with size at a young age, he had his way with smaller, weaker, junior players, but when he was dealing with man strength, on a smaller ice surface, he seemed pretty easy to push off the puck.

He's still a small town kid from another country who doesn't speak English well. A long way from home - the food, the entertainment, the family, the culture, and all his friends. I wonder if he had any friends at all, here.

I hope for nothing but the best for the kid, but I don't see it working, here. We'll see.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Serious question...

I went to the Eskimos game on Friday night so I missed the NHL Draft. Was Daryl Katz's son, Harrison, on stage to welcome the Oilers 1st Round pick?

I can't find anything on the internet.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Serious question...

I went to the Eskimos game on Friday night so I missed the NHL Draft. Was Daryl Katz's son, Harrison, on stage to welcome the Oilers 1st Round pick?

I can't find anything on the internet.
    Yes he was. Frankly I believe he will own the team when Daryl moves on

^ Thanks! I was just wondering if Holland wanted to shake things up.....change the culture.

Both Daryl Katz (father) and Harrison Katz (son) were on stage to welcome their 1st round pick along with Bob Nicholson, Ken Holland, Wayne and Keith Gretzky, Dave Tippett and one or two others.

This pic was on the Oilers website. Who is the new kid?

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/rele...ft/c-307963160

Every team had a little boy or girl on the stage with the bigwigs and draft picks.

Brent Connolly as a UFA signing on the right side? What does 15-20 goals cost you per year these days, 4M? More? At 27, I don't think I'd want to sign for more than a few years.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl...id=mailsignout

C2E SME

You overpay in free agency, the question is by how much. He hit a high water mark last year, but it's very risky to project that going forward. He's not a 15-20 goal forward. He's a 12-15 goal forward who had a 22 goal season. Good for him, but they need to be leery about how much they pay him in dollars and term, otherwise they'll end up with another contract that they're paying 1-2m more a year for than they should. They already 4-5 of those, depending on how you count them.

Think of it this way: how much better is he than Khaira? In limited minutes with mediocre linemates to this point in his career, he's scored at an 8 goal pace per 82 game season. Connolly, including his career year last year, has scored at 15 per 82. Khaira's qualifying offer will be around 750k. Connolly will be 4m+. Is he 5 times the player?
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 26-06-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Think of it this way: how much better is he than Khaira? In limited minutes with mediocre linemates to this point in his career, he's scored at an 8 goal pace per 82 game season. Connolly, including his career year last year, has scored at 15 per 82. Khaira's qualifying offer will be around 750k. Connolly will be 4m+. Is he 5 times the player?
    That's one way to think of it. But then the numbers would say Khaira is a better deal at $/goal then even Draisatl. We only have so many right wing slots on the top two lines. I'd think we'd want the most possible goals from that position as possible, regardless of the $/goal, as long we can stay under the cap. Two Connolly's vs two Khaira's on the top two lines gets you around 15-20 goals extra per year. How many more wins is that, even if it costs more than it should? I'm not saying Connolly is good or worth it, just another way to think of it

What they need is another Perron or Maroon type find. Cheap vet who will thrive here for a season or two. Don't know who that is though.

Gustav Nyquist and Joonas Donskoi also being mentioned as potentials.

We have now reached the point where the New Jersey Devils are savagely dunking on the Oilers to commemorate the anniversary of the Taylor Hall trade: https://twitter.com/NJDevils/status/1145008112853819394

C2E SME

Do the Oilers have any analytics personnel?

My impression is that the Oilers analytics department had been slowing whittled away into an almost nonexistent group after Tyler Dellow was let go. I'm not sure if that's entirely accurate, but information is sure scant if you try to look for it. (Dellow, it should be noted, now leads the Devils' analytics group.)

^ Can you give examples of how Tyler Dellow and his analytical mind helped the Oilers during his time here?

Apparently Dave Tippet was doing analytical stuff before it was a 'thing'. That's what he said at his introductory press conference.

^Given that his work was private, and that we don't know the scope of it, no, I absolutely can't. As Lowetide wrote, we don't know what we can and can't give him credit for.

The problem with measuring the success of these hires is that it is impossible. When the Oilers hired Dellow (August 2014) I did my best to suss out the moves he might have been involved in. My guesses (Andrej Sekera is the one I would bet money on) were few and my frustrations many (no way on God’s earth Dellow recommended the Petry trade nor the Reinhart deal, and those two transactions occurred within 120 days of each other) so it’s small victories in terms of being able to read success.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    ^Given that his work was private, and that we don't know the scope of it, no, I absolutely can't. As Lowetide wrote, we don't know what we can and can't give him credit for.

The problem with measuring the success of these hires is that it is impossible. When the Oilers hired Dellow (August 2014) I did my best to suss out the moves he might have been involved in. My guesses (Andrej Sekera is the one I would bet money on) were few and my frustrations many (no way on God’s earth Dellow recommended the Petry trade nor the Reinhart deal, and those two transactions occurred within 120 days of each other) so it’s small victories in terms of being able to read success.
    Pre NHL employment Dellow was hardly private. He would espouse his preferences to anybody listening. So that Horcoff was an allstar, Pouliot a sought after possession player, for example. The analytics community certainly had their player pick bias like any other scouting vein. The difference though is the analytics hockey community was not trained in statistical methodology. They did not have background in Statistics. They were self taught. The difficulty is a lot of the methodology, rational, understanding of conclusions, theory, hypothesis was off. So that you'd speak to these individuals who had proven in their own mind that they were offering up fact because they had numbers to the decimal point on formulas, data usage that were flawed themselves.

Scouts at least usually are career long honed in what they do, specific to hockey scouting. The Analytics community, like Dellow are often composed of individuals that took something entirely different in post secondary, decided they didn't want that, and turned to try to make a buck off hockey.

Indeed Dellow was part of a circle of people, Vic Ferrari being another that would post online with several pseudo usernames pretending to be different individuals concurring in discussion. That would dive bomb hockey discussions with 10 opinions instead of say 2-3. That they practiced this in moderated communities, serially, for years and admitted to it is to me concerning. I find a basic dishonesty in people using multiple accounts online, and concurrently, to try to further their own premise.

Yes Lowetide, Dellow, all privy to everything that occurred on multiple boards, sites. Lets just say the discussion did not befit professionality.

To this day its a common thought that Dellow's NHL employment with teams of course pre-empted him continuing to speak of those teams and probably as a condition of employment. Dellow was a pretty vocal critic about the Oilers org and its management. But that stopped on a dime as soon as he got a contract. To that end he's no more than a paid Stauffer.

C2E SME

The Oilers now have about $11 M in cap space in 2019/20.

Apparently the Oil is getting Mike Smith and Talbot is going to the Flamers......

C2E SME

Oilers sign Markus Granlund.

C2E SME

Oilers re-sign Chiasson to two-year contract.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ That's good news. idk about Markus Granlund though.

Talbot to Calgary, interesting
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Summary thus far:

Alex Chiasson (2 year, 2.1M)
    Jujhar Khaira (2 year, 1.2M)
    Markus Granlund from the Dys (1 year, 1.3M)
    Mike Smith from the Godless Flames (1 year, 2M)
    Tomas Jurco from the Charlotte Checkers (1 year, 750K)

Andrej Sekera does Dallas (1 year, 2M)
    Cam Talbot to the Godless Flames (1 year, 2.75M)
    Kevin Gravel to the Maple Laffs (1 year, 750K)

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Thomas Jurko? Despite being a lefty, kind of a waste of cash for a player that hasn't done much even for 1 year.

C2E SME

I think Jurco will be more of a depth player.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Summary thus far:

Alex Chiasson (2 year, 2.1M)
    Jujhar Khaira (2 year, 1.2M)
    Markus Granlund from the Dys (1 year, 1.3M)
    Mike Smith from the Godless Flames (1 year, 2M)
    Tomas Jurco from the Charlotte Checkers (1 year, 750K)

Andrej Sekera does Dallas (1 year, 2M)
    Cam Talbot to the Godless Flames (1 year, 2.75M)
    Kevin Gravel to the Maple Laffs (1 year, 750K)
    Maybe 3 people know what the "Dys" refers to. Could you be anymore obscure? Its a lame nickname started on one blog board that next to nobody knows about.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I think Jurco will be more of a depth player.
    More like a wait and see but you never know.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Mike Smith could help us, glad to see Chiasson signed, he’s been good. Khaira is tough and a fan favorite. The rest, meh. We need a red light machine on the wing.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I think I heard Holland say we need another 20 goal scorer. I haven't been following yesterday's free agency day might be a huge long shot even if the Oilers have cap space but is Matt Duchene still available?
    Last edited by envaneo; 02-07-2019 at 01:10 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I believe Duchene signed a seven year $56,000,000.00 deal with the Nashville Predators.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Your right. I don't know how I missed that one. Bobcat and Shannon were all over this when it went down. I must either be getting old or too much life has got in the way, or a mix of both.

C2E SME

It would have been nice to see Sekera or Russell traded instead of the buyout, but that just shows how little market there was for either. I'm not thrilled with the Smith signing; partly because I don't think he's a good goalie but mostly because I've just never liked the guy. I don't like drama queen goalies that flop all over the ice like they've been shot if someone bumps them, and Smith has long been one of the worst offenders. Rishaug pretty strongly hinted on TSN1260 that Smith is also not great in the dressing room. He's also been wildly inconsistent his entire career.

Otherwise, not too surprised with any of the moves. They're in a horrible position cap wise, and the only way out of that is mortgaging the future and trading away picks and assets in order to ditch some of the bad contracts. Nice to see yet another right shot, puck moving D-man get moved (Barrie) and the Oilers once again either miss out or not be in a position to make an offer.

Likewise - never liked the guy. Would have been better to see Cameron back in net. Oh well, at least Holly didn't pull a Dubas and trade for the sake of trading......I'm OK with yesterday's Oil transactions.

It would have been nice to see Sekera or Russell traded instead of the buyout, but that just shows how little market there was for either. I'm not thrilled with the Smith signing; partly because I don't think he's a good goalie but mostly because I've just never liked the guy. I don't like drama queen goalies that flop all over the ice like they've been shot if someone bumps them, and Smith has long been one of the worst offenders. Rishaug pretty strongly hinted on TSN1260 that Smith is also not great in the dressing room. He's also been wildly inconsistent his entire career.
    I don't care about style or whether or not someone is "not great in the dressing room". The question is: Does he stop pucks, and help win games? Over 42 games last season, his record was pretty abysmal -- and that's with a much better D-corps than he'll be getting in Edmonton. We can hope he'll bounce back to form, but hope is a dangerous thing.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Mike Smith's familiarity with Dave Tippet is well known so perhaps he will perform better here. Its an expensive wait and see signing for a player of Smith's age but who knows, he might surprise us.

Ol' Mike Smith always talks a good game so he should be a perfect fit for the Coilers.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Mike Smith's familiarity with Dave Tippet is well known so perhaps he will perform better here. Its an expensive wait and see signing for a player of Smith's age but who knows, he might surprise us.
    Hope springs eternal.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E SME

Let’s give Mike Smith a chance.

Looks like the Oilers are going to suck again. Unless they can make a solid trade with someone to get a star goalie or a couple of excellent defensemen.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

...or a couple more high scoring wingers.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Let’s give Mike Smith a chance.
    "give "mike smith" a chance"?

didn't you meant "give "peace" a chance"?

or maybe "give mike a chant" whenever he makes a save?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^^ Are there any left that can fit into our "cap space?"

C2E SME

I don't care about style or whether or not someone is "not great in the dressing room". The question is: Does he stop pucks, and help win games? Over 42 games last season, his record was pretty abysmal -- and that's with a much better D-corps than he'll be getting in Edmonton. We can hope he'll bounce back to form, but hope is a dangerous thing.
    Character is important, especially on a team as fragile as the Oilers, and a team as likely to struggle as the Oilers. The book on Smith is that he can be miserable when things aren't going well, according to Rishaug. There's clearly concerns with Smith's attitude if someone like Rishaug goes out of their way to mention it on both Nielsen's and Gregor's shows last week.

But hey, maybe we'll get 2011/12 Mike Smith and they'll go on a run. That's certainly a possibility. And there weren't a lot of other cheap, short term options available. Like I said, I'm not thrilled with the signing, not necessarily totally opposed to it. But he comes with a reputation both in terms of his character, and in terms of his inability to maintain a consistent level of play throughout his career. That's not exactly an ideal backup goalie when your starter is Koskinen.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Character is important, especially on a team as fragile as the Oilers, and a team as likely to struggle as the Oilers. The book on Smith is that he can be miserable when things aren't going well, according to Rishaug. There's clearly concerns with Smith's attitude if someone like Rishaug goes out of their way to mention it on both Nielsen's and Gregor's shows last week.

But hey, maybe we'll get 2011/12 Mike Smith and they'll go on a run. That's certainly a possibility. And there weren't a lot of other cheap, short term options available. Like I said, I'm not thrilled with the signing, not necessarily totally opposed to it. But he comes with a reputation both in terms of his character, and in terms of his inability to maintain a consistent level of play throughout his career. That's not exactly an ideal backup goalie when your starter is Koskinen.
    i'm not sure "he can be miserable when things aren't going well" is such a bad thing.

if my memory serves me right, messier wasn't only miserable, he could be downright dangerous when things weren't going well.

maybe after missing the playoffs 12 out of 13 years we need a bit less "great in the dressing room" and a bit more "miserable"?
    Last edited by kcantor; 02-07-2019 at 05:43 PM.

C2E SME

Kevin Lowe threw his stick at the dressing room light when the Oilers had a bad loss. I think we need more players that get mad, and show it on the ice the next game.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Agree

Know who else would get ****** after a loss? Patty Maroon - can't believe this guy isn't signed...he's still cheap and was a HUGE impact on winning the cup...come on Kenny!

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

i'm not sure "he can be miserable when things aren't going well" is such a bad thing.

if my memory serves me right, messier wasn't only miserable, he could be downright dangerous when things weren't going well.

maybe after missing the playoffs 12 out of 13 years we need a bit less "great in the dressing room" and a bit more "miserable"?
    And if memory serves me right, Taylor Hall was/is a douche and he got a free pass from the alcoHallics. But you'll never hear that from Gregor as the two are buddies.

But whatever, Mike Smith is a short term stop gap and hopefully a buffer when (not if) Koskinen takes a poop.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Know who else would get ****** after a loss? Patty Maroon - can't believe this guy isn't signed...he's still cheap and was a HUGE impact on winning the cup...come on Kenny!
    Puleeze. What's not to believe? He's not signed because there's little to no value here. He didn't sign with St. Lou because it was a homecoming, no one else was interested. St. Lou knew they'd get him 'cheap' because of that nostalgia. Good on them. Why haven't they upped him?....St. Louis playoffs? One game winning goal (albeit a series clincher I think) and a whopping 7 points which puts him somewhere below the first 50 point getters. Or are we going to talk 'character' in the dressing room?
    I heard the Oil are sniffing around again with Maroon. Cripes, lets hope not. There will be no second lightning in a bottle with Connor this time. Connor's more mature and advanced and Maroon is just older.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

You of all people should know that size wins Cups - hence the Blues and Boston before them.....we desperately lack size - don't need him for more than 20 goals as per Kenny.....so it'll be a win win....I certainly hope we sign him. Whatever free agent would you suggest we sign in lieu of Patty? Dzingel? No thanks - the rest of them are all garbage.....

You of all people should know that size wins Cups - hence the Blues and Boston before them.....we desperately lack size - don't need him for more than 20 goals as per Kenny.....so it'll be a win win....I certainly hope we sign him. Whatever free agent would you suggest we sign in lieu of Patty? Dzingel? No thanks - the rest of them are all garbage.....
    I would take Nichushkin or Ferland before Maroon. Nichushkin; bigger, younger, high draft pick. Dallas saw something in him to take him 10th overall in 2013. Maybe mis-cast in Dallas? (Or a bust...) Dzingel? He's a center. Don't need him. Ferland might be had on a one year test run.

don't need him for more than 20 goals as per Kenny.....so it'll be a win win....
    If you're relying on Patty to pop 20 goals, that's a risk. He's only done that once, in his career year of 2016-17, when he had 27 goals. Last season he had 10 over 74 games. The season before, split between Edmonton and NJ, was 17 over the same span, which was his second-best career year. All other seasons? Between 9-12 goals.

I would definitely welcome Maroon back. It would have to be at the right price/term though. He had pretty decent success with McDavid (can provide some protection, and some goals there). This might help balance out the top two lines a bit better.

Nichushkin has been a non factor in the NHL except for his rookie season. No thanks.

So the ol' lady gets a text last night from this Mucky Muck top level executive with the largest Media company in Canada. We met him a few years ago in Vegas sitting at a bar....anyway - this guy happens to be a "very close friend with the McDavids." They just so happened to be sitting together at the time - somewhere in ON, Connor and this "guy." Connor tells this guy to tell my wife - "out there in Edmonton," that he is "very excited, in fact the most excited he's been in looking forward to a season with the Oil." Hmmm....maybe something we don't know?

Ty Rattie has signed with the MacT team in Russia

C2E SME

Somewhere, Replacement sheds a tear.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

So the ol' lady gets a text last night from this Mucky Muck top level executive with the largest Media company in Canada. We met him a few years ago in Vegas sitting at a bar....anyway - this guy happens to be a "very close friend with the McDavids." They just so happened to be sitting together at the time - somewhere in ON, Connor and this "guy." Connor tells this guy to tell my wife - "out there in Edmonton," that he is "very excited, in fact the most excited he's been in looking forward to a season with the Oil." Hmmm....maybe something we don't know?
    Are the Oilers trading him to the Leafs? just kidding. Probably all the changes are a positive for the team as a whole. Positive changes are exciting.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Ty Rattie has signed with the MacT team in Russia
    This team and MacT leading it will be a positive for the oilers imo. Like an extra farm team in a way

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Too bad McD didn’t buy Smittys house in town. Hockey rink and all. Could’ve had good skating parties there and nice BBQ place in summer as well looking over the ravine and river. Beautiful home. I didn’t know Smitty was so rich. Anyone know who bought it? Maybe it’s still on the market.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 10-07-2019 at 12:52 PM.

C2E SME

He's building a house in Laurier, I believe.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Oh, interesting.

Yeah, Russia ... just where I'd, heck all of us would like to live.

Land of Vladimir Putin! I can't wait to take my unbelievable talent there ...
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Huh?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Oh you must be thinking of MacT. in Yaroslavl. Ever been to Russia? Maybe it’s a nice place. Can’t be that much worse than Edmonchuk. Maybe we’ve been brainwashed to think it is hell by their political enemy America.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 10-07-2019 at 02:27 PM.

C2E SME

"Corporations do not dominate the Russian government"

Correct. Instead, it's an unholy alliance of the former KGB and various mafias that actually control the Russian state institutions and most of it's largest industries. But seriously, if you want to debate the finer or lesser qualities of life in Russia, take it to an appropriate thread.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

It was related as Craig MacTavish and others are going there. It just kind of evolved. Oilers news is a little slow right now I guess. Sorry officer.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 10-07-2019 at 03:15 PM.

Oilers hire Tyler Wright as director of amateur scouting.

We got our wish, Bob Green's status is now in limbo.....

The hiring of Wright here leaves Bob Green’s job description up in the air because he was the Oilers point-man for last month’s draft in Vancouver with Keith Gretzky assisting him. What happens to Green now?

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...e-c74c032df0d6

Oilers drafting record has been very good since Bob Green came on board. He is a smart hockey guy, they need to keep him.

“I know what he brings,” said Oilers Director of Player Personnel and former Oil Kings General Manager Bob Green. “I know what he brought in junior. He played one year pro, he’s got developing to do but Griffin is a winner. He’s got elite hockey sense, he’s 6-foot-4, he’s a defenceman and we need defencemen. He won a Memorial Cup Championship, he was the captain. He would have taken us there, I believe, when he was 18 but he got injured in the Conference Final that year. We took Portland to six games and maybe we could have won that series if we had him in the lineup. Did he struggle this year in the American League? I guess he did. But I believe in Griffin as a player and I think he’s going to be just fine.” ...

“He’s a horse,” added Green. “He can play all night, he’s 6-foot-4, he can move the puck, he’s got elite hockey sense, he’s got great hands. I mean, he’s the complete package of what you want in a defenceman and he’s 21-years-old.” ...

Both Chiarelli and Green disclosed that they deem Reinhart ready to play in the NHL this season. They expect him to make the team out of camp.
    https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/rein...faces/c-772521

^ Since it's the Stampede, I am going to beat a dead horse.

The draft pick the Oilers gave to the Islanders to acquire Reinhart, turned out to be who????

A Calder Trophy winner.
    I think that is more on Chiarelli's incompetence than on Bob Green, however Green shares the blame.

It was one move of many. A person’s career is not based on 1 move, you need to look at the entire picture to get a true evaluation. Green has a history of making more good decisions than bad. He should be kept by the organization.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey
    I think that is more on Chiarelli's incompetence than on Bob Green, however Green shares the blame.
    There's quotes from the time the trade was made where PC basically said "well I just got here, but Bob knows the player very well and I've relied on his judgement in this transaction." Sure, it's only "1 move", but it was a colossally bad one that set the team back significantly given how deep the draft was in 2015 (set Barzal aside and just pick a random player from the bottom half of that first round and it's 50% that you have a very good player anyways: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2015e.html). Green had seen Reinhart play in junior more than anyone, and even with the benefit of watching 2 more years in junior after his drafting and another mediocre year in the AHL, couldn't see that he was a bust. And not just a "darn that 4th overall pick turned in to 3rd pairing D" bust, but a "will never probably hit 50 NHL games" bust. It's one of the worst trades the Oilers have ever made, and it was made largely on Green's recommendation. It would have been the equivalent of someone trading a 1st and a 2nd pick for Puljujarvi this off season. Can you even imagine!?

Chiarelli is to blame for that trade though. Had he given up just a 3rd round pick for Reinhart or a 2nd round at most then it wouldn't have been so painful. But no, because Chiarelli mismanages talent, he decided to trade a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick to the Islanders for Reinhart. Since then, Reinhart ended up being given away to Vegas for their expansion draft while the Isles have a key player in Barzal.

Interesting article on Oilers defensive woes and what will likely be a challenging year.
    https://www.tsn.ca/defensive-issues-...2020-1.1337541
    Benning certainly grades out well. If Larsson and Klefbom can return to form, maybe there's a chance? Bear needs to continue the progress too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast