Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Jason Kenney and the UCP Performance - first year of power

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    I do think the left come across as knowing it all, when I don't think they/you do.
    Said without a hint of irony...
    If you like..:P
    Animals are my passion.

C2E Continued Contributor

It's fascinating how quickly certain users went from;
    Criticizing the party in power through unsubstantiated claims, name calling, hyperbole, with some valid criticism thrown in, to;
    Getting up in arms about anyone daring to criticize the party in power and claiming that anyone who does so is immature and divisive, as well as trying to dismiss those who criticize them as extremists.

I'm not sure if it's just a complete lack of self awareness, or just arguments made in bad faith in order to justify the support of their "team".

^ Tribalism and hypocrisy
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
    Criticizing the party in power through unsubstantiated claims, name calling, hyperbole, with some valid criticism thrown in, to;
    Getting up in arms about anyone daring to criticize the party in power and claiming that anyone who does so is immature and divisive, as well as trying to dismiss those who criticize them as extremists.

I'm not sure if it's just a complete lack of self awareness, or just arguments made in bad faith in order to justify the support of their "team".

And of course there’s just the joy in pointing out that no matter who runs for government or becomes the government, they and their loyal supporters/minions are deserving of a well earned mocking.

Let’s remind everyone I mention that the federal Liberals and the provincial NDP were going to deal with the deficit, or that Kenney was going to shut off the flow of oil to BC and cancel the carbon tax.
    Last edited by KC; 21-06-2019 at 08:03 PM.

BTW - as the article below says: $1,300 a year to subscribe to Grant's Interest Rate Observer

For those capable of inference:

“LAMB: You wrote in that article, if statism is the debt-facilitating doctrine of the left, growth is the debt-rationalizing ideology of the right. Pro-growth conservatives preach correctly that only a strong economy can produce the goods and services with which to meet tomorrow's vast entitlement bills.

But these happy fiscal warriors forgot that the government has a balance sheet as well as an income statement. They carelessly overlook the risk that the worsening federal finances themselves could undermine economic growth. How, how can it undermine economic growth?”

https://www.c-span.org/video/transcript/?id=57563

I think some of the reaction to the UCP handing out ear plugs is overstated.

It was a symbolic gesture. A response, a reaction to the NDP, and their MLAs saying the same thing always.

It was a reaction to NDP repeat tactics and filibuster.

Its not literally saying we'll wear them all the time and never listen to anything the NDP state. its stating we could wear earplugs currently and not miss anything repetitive the NDP are stating, for the purpose of stating it repetitively.

Ultimately this is a signal to the NDP to develop some other interjection, other themes, to have other focal points, concerns, not always the same ones.
    Last edited by Replacement; 22-06-2019 at 11:23 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post

Not directed at me but I'll respond. I spent decades of my life being sympathetic to NDP message. Liked Grant Notley, Tommy Douglas, Jack Layton, even had some time for Ed Broadbent.

Voted NDP several times federally, provincially, in several elections.

But I don't support the Rachel NDP brand because its imo lost its way. I find it sad that after so many better NDP leaders that their time in the sun was Rachel Notley. I thought she botched things from the word go and starting off with the farm bill that was poorly conceived, not required, and that was not going to be anything but political folly.

I'm actually very personally opposed to Kenney. Have several UCP concerns. Never liked the Wild Rose brand and called it out resolutely. But I take and accept UCP govt because of how failed the NDP government was under Notley. She actually convinced me to be more concerned about her party and leadership. That took a lot of doing.

Rachel Notley turned a lifelong NDP supporter to one that opposed her resolutely. To the degree that I fairly equate her with Justin Trudeau type opportunism.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

It was a symbolic gesture. A response, a reaction to the NDP, and their MLAs saying the same thing always.
    If they were trying to convey the idea that the NDP says the same thing over and over again, there are better ways to symbolize that than with ear plugs. Because with the ear plugs, the immediate message is "We're not listening", which people can interpret as "They're not listening because they don't respect opposition", rather than "They're not listening because the NDP is saying useless stuff".

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

If they were trying to convey the idea that the NDP says the same thing over and over again, there are better ways to symbolize that than with ear plugs. Because with the ear plugs, the immediate message is "We're not listening", which people can interpret as "They're not listening because they don't respect opposition", rather than "They're not listening because the NDP is saying useless stuff".
    A more succinct description is signalling to the NDP that they are no longer govt and no longer have final say.

The NDP could also stop speaking as if they are government. Rachel herself has acknowledged she is no longer in power, and no longer has the mandate. But her and her party are struggling with the transition.. Nor are the contributing to the legislative proceedings now. They have chosen tacit opposition, filibuster, and slander. They did that during the election campaign and hard to extricate from that. The NDP under Notley did all this to themselves.
    Last edited by Replacement; 22-06-2019 at 12:30 PM.

It would be interesting to compare Notley’s time in power to Don Getty’s time in power.

In our oil dependent economy a collapse in oil prices removes a lot of choices while forcing action to prevent a depression.

I think they both did great at crisis prevention but not so much in crushing the sense of entitlement that many of those still working tend to feel.

Oil and gas are next so when global oil demand growth stalls and then falls, maybe a million or so unemployed Albertans will be able to move to BC as refugees.

Clean electricity overtaking fossil fuels in Britain - BBC News

“For the first time since the Industrial Revolution, Britain is obtaining more power from zero-carbon sources than fossil fuels.”

The transformation reflects the precipitous decline of coal energy, and a boom from wind and solar.

Mr Pettigrew told us some of the renewable energy generated when the wind is blowing or the Sun is shining will be stored in the batteries of people's electric cars for use later.

The cars' charging systems will be reversed so their batteries can feed electricity back to the grid when demand peaks – like when people are cooking supper.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-48711649

Last edited by KC; Yesterday at 10:10 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234