Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
Results 1,601 to 1,643 of 1643

Thread: Jason Kenney and the UCP Performance - first year of power

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Yup, let's just give away our natural resources.

With all the obstacles and red tape in the way of developing them, nobody wants them any more.

They all sold off and/or f*cked off to the US.

I don't blame them going to the US, or the middle east, why hang around here and die.
    Animals are my passion.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada..._autoplay=true

In just 11 years, Albertans have paid out almost $240 billion to the rest of Canada.
    Animals are my passion.

Imagine living in petrostate whose plutocratic administration decides to...
    • Give to multinational corporations resources which constitutionally belong to the government (and by extension its citizens)
    • Absolve those corporations of their legally-mandated responsibilities to protect the environment
    • Create a multi-million dollar propaganda ministry to promote the interests and agenda of those corporations
    • Ensure that the propaganda ministry is structured to avoid any public scrutiny into its operations and expenditures
    • Create a multi-million dollar investigative body to publicly identify and humiliate those who wish to question the above agenda
    • Direct those millions of dollars of public funds to relatives and cronies within the administration so that they can directly benefit

I'm sure glad I live in Alberta, that could never happen here.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    https://nationalpost.com/news/canada..._autoplay=true

In just 11 years, Albertans have paid out almost $240 billion to the rest of Canada.
    Oh hey, another right-wing article fomenting divisiveness that conveniently forgets that Alberta has been the biggest per-capita gainer of funds due to the current, Conservative-tweaked formula & instead focuses on what amounts to one quarter of federal transfers.

http://www.formac.ca/starrspoint/201...kes-to-forget/
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Yup, let's just give away our natural resources.

With all the obstacles and red tape in the way of developing them, nobody wants them any more.

They all sold off and/or f*cked off to the US.

The only red tape to Alberta development can be attributed to pipeline takeaway capability - or lack thereof, and not the Alberta Energy Regulator approval process. Throw in some macro scale oil and gas market forces as well (US shale boom). The current federal approval process for large scale national interest projects, ironically "re-vamped" by the Harper government in 2012, has arguably created the regulatory uncertainty and obstacles to getting projects off the ground on a national level. Yes, there were some more stringent requirements in the old process, but at least it was predictable, objective, and robust enough for proponents and regulators to understand where the goal posts were. After some deliberate, or perhaps in fairness, naïve omissions and weaknesses in the new process, it has created confusion for proponents, as it has left gaping shortfalls in the environmental assessment process. Quite evident after successful court rulings on the shortcomings of the Trans Canada and Gateway (the Feds knew that one was doomed, and squashed it).

Quote Originally Posted by OffWhyte View Post
    • Give to multinational corporations resources which constitutionally belong to the government (and by extension its citizens)
    • Absolve those corporations of their legally-mandated responsibilities to protect the environment
    • Create a multi-million dollar propaganda ministry to promote the interests and agenda of those corporations
    • Ensure that the propaganda ministry is structured to avoid any public scrutiny into its operations and expenditures
    • Create a multi-million dollar investigative body to publicly identify and humiliate those who wish to question the above agenda
    • Direct those millions of dollars of public funds to relatives and cronies within the administration so that they can directly benefit

sad reality post
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

• Implement a token 'carbon tax' designed to obsolete itself eventually while providing more revenue to return to polluters both openly & clandestinely in the interim.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by OffWhyte View Post

And rig the election for party leader to ensure he emerges victorious.

C2E Continued Contributor

^ Kenny and UCP will win the next election, and the one after that too. doesn't matter what they do
    All they need is rural (guaranteed) and Calgary.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    ^ Kenny and UCP will win the next election, and the one after that too. doesn't matter what they do
    Kenney won't be here next election. He'll have stepped down to run as federal conservative leader. Probably won't make the cut though.

Same reasoning that Scheer tried to pull in the federal. "I won't introduee it but I'll let my backbenchers do it for me."

UCP MLA denies conscience rights bill limits health care access

Williams said his bill follows the current standards of practice for conscientious objection from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta.

He points to a section of that document, which compels physicians to either refer a patient to another physician or provide timely access to "a resource that will provide accurate information about all available medical options."

"That's a good position," Williams said. "It lets a lot of concerns be resolved because (with) all these contentious services, they have direct access in Alberta. You have direct access, you do not need a referral to access any of them."

But a subsequent section of the bill suggests that conscientious objectors are not subject to the rules of any regulatory body that would compel them to make statements to patients that violate their values or beliefs.

---

Kenney promised during the election that a UCP government would not legislate on contentious social issues like abortion. When asked about that vow, Kenney relied on another point his ministers have made over the past week — the bill is coming from a private member, not from the government.

"Private members have every right to bring forward bills, perhaps in some cases, that they committed to their constituents on," Kenney said. "And they will be voted on freely both as private members bills and as matters of conscience."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...cess-1.5361878

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    Kenney won't be here next election. He'll have stepped down to run as federal conservative leader. Probably won't make the cut though.
    No he'll be here. The next election will be sooner than 4 years, JT might have to keep the bloc really happy, but that wont last.
    Animals are my passion.

I don't think he will run unless he thinks he has a good shot at it and I think he probably does. Most of the Conservative members are from the west and support most of the party's current positions on carbon tax, pipelines, etc... I think they just want to find someone who comes across better than Scheer. While it is probably time to get someone from the east, I don't know there are any star candidates from the east jumping forward. I think there would be reservations about McKay and he may be past his best before date anyways.

I love what Jason said about his travelling. (btw, all premiers travel, not just him, right Notley??) so that's a given. He flys economy and no five star hotels for him, I suspect that will upset some people, because they can moan about him, but so far, so good imho
    Last edited by H.L.; 17-11-2019 at 08:16 AM.
    Animals are my passion.

I saw this earlier today and Bernier has a point on this one. Quebec's economy only really picked up once they decided they weren't going to pursue separatism. I hope western Conservatives listen to him on this - threatening separatism will only make things worse and among other things cause businesses to flee. If not, I suppose Calgary's loss will be Toronto and Vancouver's gain.

Maxime Bernier warns alienated Albertans that threatening separation actually left Quebec worse off

https://calgaryherald.com/news/canada/maxime-bernier-warns-disgruntled-albertans-that-threatening-separation-actually-left-quebec-worse-off/wcm/82c35ba4-0cd5-43e3-9ad4-d424b7de3ada

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I saw this earlier today and Bernier has a point on this one. Quebec's economy only really picked up once they decided they weren't going to pursue separatism. I hope western Conservatives listen to him on this - threatening separatism will only make things worse and among other things cause businesses to flee. If not, I suppose Calgary's loss will be Toronto and Vancouver's gain.

Maxime Bernier warns alienated Albertans that threatening separation actually left Quebec worse off

https://calgaryherald.com/news/canad...4-d424b7de3ada
    Bernier.the guy that didn't even win his own seat..LO. Oh yes, bigot that he is, I'm not listening to him.Beside JK already said it wasn't a good idea
    Animals are my passion.

I don't think he will run unless he thinks he has a good shot at it and I think he probably does. Most of the Conservative members are from the west and support most of the party's current positions on carbon tax, pipelines, etc... I think they just want to find someone who comes across better than Scheer. While it is probably time to get someone from the east, I don't know there are any star candidates from the east jumping forward. I think there would be reservations about McKay and he may be past his best before date anyways.
    Of course he's got a shot at it. He just needs to create a fake candidate to go after the others and....

Wait, this sounds really familiar.

^ Kenny and UCP will win the next election, and the one after that too. doesn't matter what they doAll they need is rural (guaranteed) and Calgary.
    Of course he's got a shot at it. He just needs to create a fake candidate to go after the others and....Wait, this sounds really familiar.
    Last time they had over a dozen candidates run. He doesn't even need a fake one this time, just a few hopefuls to split the more eastern or moderate votes.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

https://calgaryherald.com/news/canad...4-d424b7de3ada
    Bernier.the guy that didn't even win his own seat..LO. Oh yes, bigot that he is, I'm not listening to him.Beside JK already said it wasn't a good idea
    As Churchill once said, even a fool is right sometimes.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Some things JK has going for him is he’s well versed in French and is a staunch Roman Catholic which will help him in Quebec. His heritage is Irish and also Métis. (My brother-in-law comes from the same clan so I’m related through marriage.) He was born in Ontario. He was raised in Saskatchewan. His political experience is practically second to none in this country. (check Wikipedia). He’s a fighter and can hold his ground in the blood sport of politics.

64% of Quebecers approve of the secularism law. I'm not sure that being a staunch Roman Catholic would help in that case.

Same with Kenney pushing for all pipelines, all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Some things JK has going for him is he’s well versed in French and is a staunch Roman Catholic which will help him in Quebec. His heritage is Irish and also Métis. (My brother-in-law comes from the same clan so I’m related through marriage.) He was born in Ontario. He was raised in Saskatchewan. His political experience is practically second to none in this country. (check Wikipedia). He’s a fighter and can hold his ground in the blood sport of politics.
    I agree, 100%. He'll get scrappy, if need be..lol
    Animals are my passion.

An overt connection to the Catholic Church is very much more a political liability in Quebec than an asset.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I disagree. The vast majority, the silent majority, remain Roman Catholic. Two sisters of mine married one. It will not be political and JK won’t talk about it and most don’t but in their heart they still feel a kinship. More than with Jagmeet Singh I know that much.

Like hires like.

State and church should remain 100% separate for each other.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

64% of Quebecers approve of the secularism law. I'm not sure that being a staunch Roman Catholic would help in that case.

I don't buy the idea that the so-called secularism law is really about secularism. If it were, then taking down the crucifix above the Speaker's chair would have been the first thing proposed, rather than something offered very late in the debate, after the Bill was already being hashed out in the Assembly.

That said, Kenney's particular VARIETY of Catholicism ie. anti-gay, anti-abortion SoCon, would probably not be a big seller in Quebec. The impression I get is that for a lot of Quebeckers, Catholic identity is sort of a dividing line between old-stock and new citizens(to the detriment of the latter), with the actual teachings of RCism being tossed by the wayside as obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post

I don't buy the idea that the so-called secularism law is really about secularism. If it were, then taking down the crucifix above the Speaker's chair would have been the first thing proposed, rather than something offered very late in the debate, after the Bill was already being hashed out in the Assembly.

That said, Kenney's particular VARIETY of Catholicism ie. anti-gay, anti-abortion SoCon, would probably not be a big seller in Quebec. The impression I get is that for a lot of Quebeckers, Catholic identity is sort of a dividing line between old-stock and new citizens(to the detriment of the latter), with the actual teachings of RCism being tossed by the wayside as obsolete.
    It's not Catholic identity that creates a dividing line, it's Quebec identity and affirmation of Quebec nationhood; la laïcité is part of Quebec nationalism. La laïcité has no good English translation--people use the word secularism but that doesn't do it justice. La laïcité means freedom of expression, separation of church and state, and equality before the law all rolled into one (in theory). Bill 21 is very much a nationalist measure: its passage is seen by its proponents as a step towards confirmation of Quebec as nation.

The problems arise because a secular ethnic nationalism is no less discriminatory than a religious theocratic nationalism: it creates, as you say, dividing lines between "old-stock" and "new citizens". Then there is also the hypocrisy resulting from attempts at preserving Quebec history--which is, after all, inescapably connected to Catholicism--such as the crucifix in the national assembly. This is similar to the hypocrisy of "secular" France holding Notre-Dame de Paris dear to its identity.

However, the crucifix has been removed and the state of public discourse in Quebec is such that any overt connection to the Catholic Church is a political liability in Quebec. I especially agree that Kenney's particular connections--anti-gay, anti-abortion, etc--are an anathema. As evidence of this, witness the first few minutes of the TVA debate when YFB pilloried Scheer on abortion and consider the response of the Quebec public that followed.

https://youtu.be/jOu4b5LnqFg?t=118

I'm sure it's a total coincidence. Really.

Election commissioner will be fired amid investigation into United Conservative Party

Last Updated Monday, November 18, 2019 4:38PM MST
    EDMONTON -- The Alberta government is firing the province's election commissioner as his investigation into the United Conservative Party continues.

Revealed Monday, Bill 22 includes a move to "merge and consolidate the Office of the Election Commissioner into the Office of the Chief Electoral Officer.”

As part of that, Election Commissioner Lorne Gibson's contract will be terminated

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/election...arty-1.4691192

No corruption here, no sir.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

So, according to that former insurance and finance guru, Sara Hoffman, business that takes in 1.00 and pays out 1.12 should just sit back and take it. And people and bodily injury lawyers scamming the system by finding loopholes resulting in exhorbitant settlements is fine. but that's all okay, because the companies are still here. Perhaps someone should inform her that we are now in an environment where if you have a couple tickets and or accidents or combination of them, that physical damage coverages are not offered on renewals. Not a big deal perhaps if you already drive an older model vehicle, but what if it's a 2018 for example? And financed? And if you are lucky to find someone to get coverage, the deductibles can be up to 2500. Not to mention some companies discontinuing payment plans, or making customers go through re-application on renewal? All because the market is tight due to insufficient premiums, runaway legal costs, skyrocketing bodyshop repairs, and strangling regulations.

Sara Hoffman - just shut up already.

The UCP government is dangerous. Corruption, mismanagement, truthiness are facets of all governments, everywhere, throughout time. But this particular cohort of barbarians are dangerous. Dark times ahead.

Election commissioner will be fired amid investigation into United Conservative Party

EDMONTON -- The Alberta government is firing the province's election commissioner as his investigation into the United Conservative Party continues.

Revealed Monday, Bill 22 includes a move to "merge and consolidate the Office of the Election Commissioner into the Office of the Chief Electoral Officer.”

As part of that, Election Commissioner Lorne Gibson's contract will be terminated

This is corruption folks. UCP is firing the very people investigating them for all sorts of election fraud... Anyone who disagrees has there blinders on. Turning a blind eye isn't right either.

David Staples: Forget out-of-date 'dirty oil' smear, Alberta moving to be world's cleanest oil industry

https://edmontonjournal.com/business/local-business/forget-out-of-date-dirty-oil-smear-alberta-moving-to-be-worlds-cleanest-oil-industry

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post

This is corruption folks. UCP is firing the very people investigating them for all sorts of election fraud... Anyone who disagrees has there blinders on. Turning a blind eye isn't right either.
    But it will save a whole million dollars over 5 years! Efficiency baby. Nothing to see here, just another example of the rampant overspending of the NDP...

/sarcasm, because it's impossible to tell these days

The UCP have quite literally pulled this corrupt ploy directly out of the old Tory playbook: this is actually to the second time Lorne Gibson has been fired by a conservative Alberta government. The first time was in February 2009 when he was fired from his role as chief electoral officer by Ed Stelmach.

Former Alberta election boss surprised contract not renewed

Gibson suggested more than 100 reforms to the province's electoral system last year after just 41 per cent of voters cast ballots — the lowest voter turnout in the province's history.

Critics believe Gibson's recommendations embarrassed the Tories, leading to his departure when his contract runs out in early March.

Gibson said he didn't think his ideas for improvement would end up costing him his job.

Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...newed-1.777304

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

it's kind of hard to believe that a government that is only seven months old would actually choose to **** away as much of the political capital that any new government starts with on such tone-deaf and inconsequential things as clawing back cpi increases for aish recipients and post-secondary funding while restructuring and firing boards and individuals for what seems nothing more than pettiness and misplaced ideology.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

The prior moves may have been setting the stage for attempts at more draconian cost cutting measures against stronger parties. Test the waters, show aggressiveness, drive in fear, play to the political base...

The electoral commission moves are.... obviously cost savings.

Alberta terminates election commissioner’s contract amid probe into UCP leadership race -
    The Globe and Mail

“ Finance Minister Travis Toews said the decision to terminate Mr. Gibson’s contract has nothing to do with the investigation into the United Conservative Party’s leadership race. Rather, the goal is to save $200,000 a year by eliminating the need for two agencies.

“We’re providing a full latitude to the chief electoral officer to hire the election commissioner, and should he choose to hire the election commissioner, that will be entirely in his purview,” Mr. Toews said.

“We are doing nothing here that will undermine any current investigations that are taking place."...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...id-probe-into/
    Last edited by KC; Yesterday at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    it's kind of hard to believe that a government that is only seven months old would actually choose to **** away as much of the political capital that any new government starts with on such tone-deaf and inconsequential things as clawing back cpi increases for aish recipients and post-secondary funding while restructuring and firing boards and individuals for what seems nothing more than pettiness and misplaced ideology.
    When you see the world through his lens then you come to believe that you lead the natural governing party of the province and that no amount of impropriety will ever change this. From the outside, the behaviour looks incongruous but from his perspective it makes perfect sense.

In other words, Kenney believes he has unlimited political capital to spend.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Thanks, Alberta!

Braid: Criticized for expenses, David Knight Legg speaks out on London trips

://calgaryherald.com/news/politics/braid-criticized-for-expenses-david-knight-legg-speaks-out-on-london-

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    So, according to that former insurance and finance guru, Sara Hoffman, business that takes in 1.00 and pays out 1.12 should just sit back and take it. And people and bodily injury lawyers scamming the system by finding loopholes resulting in exhorbitant settlements is fine. but that's all okay, because the companies are still here. Perhaps someone should inform her that we are now in an environment where if you have a couple tickets and or accidents or combination of them, that physical damage coverages are not offered on renewals. Not a big deal perhaps if you already drive an older model vehicle, but what if it's a 2018 for example? And financed? And if you are lucky to find someone to get coverage, the deductibles can be up to 2500. Not to mention some companies discontinuing payment plans, or making customers go through re-application on renewal? All because the market is tight due to insufficient premiums, runaway legal costs, skyrocketing bodyshop repairs, and strangling regulations.

Sara Hoffman - just shut up already.
    She can't she just can't. #motormouth
    Animals are my passion.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617