Thread: Holt Renfrew to close

C2E Continued Contributor

Default Holt Renfrew to close

Edmonton's 'small-format' Holt Renfrew to close in 2020 http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...-close-in-2020

C2E Long Term Contributor
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I felt this deserved its own thread as it closing is a hit to our local economy

Not really. If it was a factor, it wouldn't close. What they carry, others do as well. Brick and mortar are on the way out...
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

It specializes in high profit margin products and high profit margin products are just that - profitable.

So is its departure a hit to the local economy?
    Last edited by KC; 15-05-2019 at 06:38 AM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

After being in Holts Toronto, ours was lacklustre. They carried very little in comparison, even the women who worked there got very frustrated at times , and often told me to go online.
    They needed to update the store and what they sold. I think some people will miss it..
    Last edited by H.L.; 14-05-2019 at 11:07 PM.
    Animals are my passion.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    It specializes in high profit margin products and high profit margin products are just that - profitable.

So is its departure a hit to the local economy?
    Job losses = hit to local economy

C2E Posting Power

Look at the bright side - we're getting a dedicated LV store - so tit for tat is my motto. 1 goes down another goes up....plus the 'ol lady will be pleased with this new store.....rather than her bitching every time she went to LV in Holt's - "parking sucks, customer service sucks, not enough selection." It's definitely a win for me....lol.....

If one can get a pair of Fendi sunglasses at winners... The reality is, Edmonton is still far from a luxury market. It is not to say we don't have customers in Edmonton, but the pool is quite small hence the lack of upgrade or expansion. Some keep reaching for defining moment that cause this inevitably outcome. Truth is, Holts wasn't busy from the very first time I moved to Edmonton at 18. I see the same patterns of foot traffic intensification as in did during the 90s to now. Incase many have forgotten, where is Escada's store that was next to 'HS'? May I also remind us that Escada store closed during our salivated boom...

Holt did not carry 10,000 pound winches or Spyder LED Tail Lights for my Ford 250 4x4, how un-Albertan is that? No wonder why they are closing.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    If one can get a pair of Fendi sunglasses at winners... The reality is, Edmonton is still far from a luxury market.
    I think its also the nature of the city, and that's a good thing. Its a cliche, but Edmonton is where you make money, Calgary is where people show it off. The Holt in Calgary is quite successful, and very high end, but it has the multi-millionaires showing off to their mistresses / misters, to support it (they aren't making their big money from the odd millennial saving up for a year or busting their credit card on a Canada Goose, like the Edmonton downtown Holt was). It reminds me of a story I heard once about how a person who owned a car sales yard, would drive an old beater to work (so as not to show customers how much money making), and kept the Ferrari at home. In Alberta, the Ferrari's are shown off in Calgary, the Trucks in Edmonton.

Simons would be a better fit for downtown Edmonton.
    Last edited by downtownone; 15-05-2019 at 10:20 AM.

We can try to justify it as that angle, but, at the end of the day, people are still people with people habits, so Calgarians and Edmontonians should be no different. Calgary has more employments in office and administrations where standard attires are required in some aspect of formal wear. Edmonton polarises on that platform as we are more Jean's and T-shirt for work.

C2E Posting Power

Good point....that's exactly true to a tee!!!! Every 3 months when I "HAVE" to go there for quarterly meetings - they crap I hear about their "new cars, vactions, Canmore weekend properties," - even though that city has downsized by a ton....their expenditures seem to have stayed the same.....

I have always thought a lot had to do with compensation structures.

If you make $100,000 in pure amortized bi-weekly salary versus making $80,000 in salary with a $20,000 lump sum year end bonus, who is going to spend more frivolously? Both will spend for most of the year within their means of their salary but getting handed a fat $20k cheque is going to encourage treating yourself. Not sure if there is any other industry out there that pays out fatter bonuses than big oil corporate during boom years, meanwhile majority of government workers have no bonus compensation, aka the difference between Calgary and Edmonton.
    Twenty one, thirty one, and seven twenty-seven.

i don't know of anyone who became rich by shopping at holts, or similar expensive stores.
    can't a "jeans and t-shirt" edmonton person also be wealthy?
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    i don't know of anyone who became rich by shopping at holts, or similar expensive stores.
    Of course they can, Hotels Edmonton , their boutique department, are the same prices as any other Holts, but with less brand names. I often called Holts Vancouver, so I could receive what I wanted.

Holts Edmonton was so behind in their merchandise..and it isn't like women were not asking for certain products.
    I'll keep calling Vancouver..
    Animals are my passion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Of course - you often see Oren Zamir in jeans - rolling in his Lambo or other high end expensive vehicles.

There is nothing wrong with Jeans and T-shirts-love it! The dynamic of work force are different in each city for 9-5 that is the difference; 5-9, everyone is in sweatpants- rich or poor. Losing Holts is not detrimental as Simons, HS and others also carry exactly what they carry...if this was a true LV, Hermes or the likes, my pride might be inflicted slightly lol...