Thread: Edmonton Riverboat

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Edmonton Riverboat

I caught a launch of the Edmonton Riverboat (formerly the Edmonton Queen) a couple of days ago

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'm still miffed the City of Edmonton delayed this business-owner from running his boat by one year over a permit issue.

The Edmonton Riverboat got stuck last night.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5493375/e...ighter-rescue/
    https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/definite...ight-1.4507475

I love how Global Edmonton got the name right while CTV still calls it the Edmonton Queen.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Questions need to be asked about this and how this poorly suited craft was allowed off dock with passengers in river flow conditions that apparently exceed its navigable ability. Also to get stuck around accidental beach sandbar makes one wonder about its present operation. Clearly conditions were not suitable for use at the time.

What an absolute fail this boat is. River conditions are high and it gets stuck due to current.

As far as what its called the "Riverboat" name seems less descriptive of its apparent ability.

Should be called the Edmonton sitting at dock boat. its about all it does well.

I wouldn't be pleased at all if I had to be rescued in the middle of the night by emergency zodiac craft in the dark, under strong current.

lol that they provided a hamburger and hot dog free to people after several hours of being stranded. They should refund all monies and consider moving the boat to a waterway its capable of navigating.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'd rather C2E than work!

Edmonton Queen?
    Edmonton Riverboat?
    Edmonton's Big White Elephant?

Nah, we have better things to label big white elephant here...

IT wasn't the current but hitting accidental beach. I can see it this morning so the operator must have felt it was safe in the area. River levels are way down from last week. I have also seen it operating in higher waters. but that said if it didn't have enough power for the flow, why are they not check the river forecast webs site. It gives the flow for that section of the river.

There were 284 passengers rescued with the final trip around 5:30 a.m., Jackson said. The boat’s crew remained on board until it was able to return to shore around 3:30 p.m. Sunday.

The 52-metre boat, formerly known as the Edmonton Queen, made a triumphant return to the water last summer after three years of sitting stagnant due to low water levels. In its first five months back on the river, more than 30,000 visitors took a spin on the vessel.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...-by-fire-crews
    Wow. Those passenger numbers look impressive. Hopefully the Riverboat can be a sustainable business.

They need to have a better evac plan.

Is the operator or taxpayer being billed for this mass evacuation which was after hours? I see no reason why this should fall on taxpayers footing the bill.

Additionally this is utilizing emergency services in their busiest night of the week in a peak time for several hours in a massive emergency evac response.

Nor am I impressed with the Edmonton Riverboat reaction making fun of this, speaking about Gilligan's Island, and simply cancelling the next cruise, the next day, because staff were exhausted.

How about it took you almost a day to reach the dock in flow conditions which the boat is apparently poorly suited for.

Is there any external investigation of this emergency event that required fullscale evac of every passenger by Emergency responders?

This was an emergency. Was this even reported to the Transportation Safety Board?

"In accordance with the TSB Regulations, reportable accidents or incidents must be reported to the Board as soon as possible and by the quickest means available."

How is this now considered just business as usual?
    Last edited by Replacement; 15-07-2019 at 12:24 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Edmonton Queen?
    Edmonton Riverboat?
    Edmonton's Big White Elephant?

LOL. The bar remained opmed.!!! Free drinks? um no.
    Animals are my passion.

Edmonton Riverboat is stuck again:

Breanna Karstens-Smith

Looks like the Edmonton Riverboat is once again stuck. It hasn’t moved from a spot along the shore right across from Accidental Beach. #yeg @GlobalEdmonton

https://twitter.com/Breanna_KS/statu...56243917254659

Said it many times but a deplorably suited vessel for our river conditions.

How long can they keep saying everything is fine with the Edmonton Queen.?

Have to wonder as well about the current operations of the vessel and it getting stuck in much the same spot twice in a month.

At least this time it didn't require an immensely expensive COE services rescue.

I continue to wish there was some sensible public hire vessels plying the river that could actually go somewhere.

It seems as long as we have the awful Edmonton Queen itinerary people figure we got this covered.

The river is so shallow that even a canoe can run aground...

There are places where you can walk across the river ftom bank to bank and not get waist deep. A lot has changed in the summer flow since the two dams were made upstream.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post

There are places where you can walk across the river ftom bank to bank and not get waist deep. A lot has changed in the summer flow since the two dams were made upstream.
    Any canoe running aground is paddling right into a sand bar.

Where are these places where you can walk completely across waist deep...

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

It's been awhile since I've been in the river, but I can recall at least 3 places...
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    It's been awhile since I've been in the river, but I can recall at least 3 places...
    How can you recall this when I can't find any record of anybody walking across the river and never seen it.

Its one thing to state that there are places to stand in the river that are not deep. Its a completely other to state there are places "where you can walk across the river waist deep" from one bank to the other.

Would like to see somebody try.

I have done it many years ago in my teens with a couple of brave friends at lower flow who had done it before. It was a spot where the river is wide and straight.

I do not recommend it because even if you know the river well, there are 12 foot deep channels and swift currents that can sweep you off your feet and a challenge for even a strong swimmer. In one step you can go from 2ft deep to 8 ft deep. Get caught is some submerged branches or stump roots and you can drown. The river changes regularly and there are many bridges now that are available for a safe crossing.
    We were young and foolish but had some ropes and safety gear just in case.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 05-08-2019 at 04:52 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

When the Queen got stuck a month ago, where people needed to be rescued, it was due to a strong upstream. The heavy rainfalls was to blame for the strong river current. So now people are able to walk across the river? Jesus!

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

You always could. Especially at low levels where the current is not that fast. There are places out my way that you could easily quad or walk from bank to bank.

Just because you never saw it, doesn't mean it has not or could not happen.

With the current and level today, only the galactically stupid would try to walk across. Even knee-deep, the pressure of a 12 knot current is insane. All one has to do is look at the turbidity of the water right now...aka dirt soup.
    President and CEO - Airshow.

You always could. Especially at low levels where the current is not that fast. There are places out my way that you could easily quad or walk from bank to bank.

Just because you never saw it, doesn't mean it has not or could not happen.

With the current and level today, only the galactically stupid would try to walk across. Even knee-deep, the pressure of a 12 knot current is insane. All one has to do is look at the turbidity of the water right now...aka dirt soup.
    I can't find one recorded account of anybody doing this. I was btw talking about the river in Edmonton, as per the Edmonton Queen. If we're talking North Sask at some other point I'm less familiar.

Like yourself I've lived here all my life, never known anybody or heard of anybody doing this. Other than PRT which I just heard of now.

With the river flow, Temp, inconsistent bottom, undertows, I think it pretty damn hazardous undertaking. Foolish to say the least.

There were no cell phones back then, so no one took pictures. There wasn't anyone around anyway and who is going to make a record of three teens walking across the river. It was near the Capilano bridge, well before the huge sandbar was formed. Not many people frequented the area. Crossed it outside the city as well about 50 miles downstream. Crossed the Red Deer river and the Pembina too. Back then we weren't bubble wrapped kids wearing helmets and helicopter parents hovering above. We were gone all day came home for supper. Our parents had no idea where we were on any given day. The stockyards, the railway tracks, Pine Creek ravine, the gravel pits, construction sites, the Belmont Drive inn, firing rockets horizontally, making gunpowder, distilling alcohol from homemade wine, climbing trees, making forts etc...

Heck, I remember one of the Colangelo brothers being on the front page of the newspaper, standing on an ice flow as it floated downstream. He did not get wet but did not go home for 2 days. When he got home, momma Colangelo smacked him in the head. Lol

Today, kids play video games, big whoop...
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 05-08-2019 at 05:46 PM.

There were no cell phones back then, so no one took pictures. There wasn't anyone around anyway and who is going to make a record of three teens walking across the river. It was near the Capilano bridge, well before the huge sandbar was formed. Not many people frequented the area. Crossed it outside the city as well about 50 miles downstream. Crossed the Red Deer river and the Pembina too. Back then we weren't bubble wrapped kids wearing helmets and helicopter parents hovering above. We were gone all day came home for supper. Our parents had no idea where we were on any given day. The stockyards, the railway tracks, Pine Creek ravine, the gravel pits, construction sites, the Belmont Drive inn, firing rockets horizontally, making gunpowder, distilling alcohol from homemade wine, climbing trees, making forts etc...

Heck, I remember one of the Colangelo brothers being on the front page of the newspaper, standing on an ice flow as it floated downstream. He did not get wet but did not go home for 2 days. When he got home, momma Colangelo smacked him in the head. Lol

Today, kids play video games, big whoop...
    Complete bs.

On one hand you're citing that theres no record of any North Sask river crossing by foot in Edmonton. (correct)

Next you state you and your friends did it (unsubstantiated hearsay from someone with a propensity to make things up on the fly)

You're stating that you and your friends were able to accomplish this feat with "ropes and some safety equipment" lol

Curiously without internet, without precedent, without technological depth finding equipment that could be used today you're telling the internet that you and your friends performed multiple crossings, by foot, of the North Sask River, and without obviously any knowledge of what the relative depths across would be.

Did you and your friends scale the CN tower with "ropes and some safety stuff " (presumably hanging around in somebodies dusty garage) as well?

PRT. Leaps tall buildings, advocates PRT, was Jack Cousteau in his misspent youth you know exploring the muddy, silty CONSTANTLY CHANGING North Sask river bottom. .
    Last edited by Replacement; 05-08-2019 at 09:01 PM.

Replacement, why are you being so asinine?

What sort of record are you looking for? It is not like it was crossing the Himalayas in winter. Did not know that because something happened before the internet was invented, you think it could not happen. We did not have "technological depth finding equipment" we had something better. It is called A LONG STICK!

The river is very shallow in places and there are places to cross on foot. Get over it.

We had a length of rope, walking sticks and my friend's brother had a soccer ball and a backpack that we thought could be used as a life preserver. I was 15, and the two brothers were 16 and 13. We used the walking sticks but never used the rope or pack and ball. We were just teenagers. We did not even plan this. We were just exploring the river valley and wading in the river and floated down the river a bit on a driftwood log (something we had done on the Red Deer River by Munson's Ferry before) until we got stuck on a sandbar. We began to wade/walk to the far bank and went further and further until we were across. I remember that the water only came up to just under my belt at the deepest. We then backtracked to the south shore and continued to explore.

Have you even set foot in the river?

Are you a certified cold water diver?

Do you have a record of it?
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 05-08-2019 at 09:50 PM.

What sort of record are you looking for? It is not like it was crossing the Himalayas in winter. Did not know that because something happened before the internet was invented, you think it could not happen. We did not have "technological depth finding equipment" we had something better. It is called A LONG STICK!

The river is very shallow in places and there are places to cross on foot. Get over it.

We had a length of rope, walking sticks and my friend's brother had a soccer ball and a backpack that we thought could be used as a life preserver. I was 15, and the two brothers were 16 and 13. We used the walking sticks but never used the rope or pack and ball. We were just teenagers. We did not even plan this. We were just exploring the river valley and wading in the river and floated down the river a bit on a driftwood log (something we had done on the Red Deer River by Munson's Ferry before) until we got stuck on a sandbar. We began to wade/walk to the far bank and went further and further until we were across. I remember that the water only came up to just under my belt at the deepest. We then backtracked to the south shore and continued to explore.

I've challenged your posts on the subject because they are tall tales to begin with. But ongoing because you are changing the story as you go along, consistent with such fabrication. First you had ropes, safety stuff to safeguard, then you claim not using it at all.

First, your words, you claimed; "We were young and foolish but had some ropes and safety gear just in case. "

Then you tell me you brought no equipment, the river crossing was unplanned, and that you were floating on driftwood when you just decided to walk across the river, without "ropes and safety gear in case"

Next you claim to have perfect long walking sticks on hand, that somehow you had, while floating on driftwood, further to walk the river without falling in, which again by your account was unplanned. With no rope, no equipment, not even life preservers.

If you tell a tall tale in this way, and change the story with directly contradicting accounts, its quite clear that your details will be questioned. You're old and haven't learned this in life?
    Last edited by Replacement; 06-08-2019 at 07:44 AM.

Can we get back to the riverboat please? You guys are arguing about whether EPRT crossed the river on foot as a kid? Nobody can prove it or deny it. Move on. I'm sure lots of people have crossed the river on foot, its certainly low enough in points during low flow season.

Jesus is back and amongst us!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Any canoe running aground is paddling right into a sand bar.

Where are these places where you can walk completely across waist deep...

How tall are you?

Are we talking waste deep in snow?
    Last edited by KC; 06-08-2019 at 01:14 PM.

Dumb city kids! Hahaha

We used to get on our bikes, shoot down the hill below the museum and try to jump the ditch beside the road near the river bank. There was a mound and a stump on the hill side that allowed us to get air. Then the trees on the other side of the road were there to slow anyone that made it over the ditch.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Can we get back to the riverboat please? You guys are arguing about whether EPRT crossed the river on foot as a kid? Nobody can prove it or deny it. Move on. I'm sure lots of people have crossed the river on foot, its certainly low enough in points during low flow season.
    Would be nice to see it dredged in places to allow for more certainty for boaters.

I guess Replacement had a very sheltered childhood.

There was no change in the story. He thinks that we needed a "technological depth finding equipment", maps, life preservers, spear gun (for river sharks), a video camera to record our adventure, a press release and media package.

We had some rope we used often for climbing trees, we had found the ball earlier in the day and thought if we left it by where we locked our bikes, someone might steal it. Found a log in the river, rocked it out of the mud and floated a few hundred yards until we ran aground.

No Replacement, you jump to outrageous conclusions and add all sort of false assumptions like we claimed the CN Tower and had "perfect" walking sticks. We had a rope but did not need it, but you find that as proof that I am lying. Now I told you we had bikes so I assume that you will attack me for lying about walking sticks.

You can't accept that sometimes in some places, the North Saskatchewan river is shallow. You are the one making hyperbolic statements. I am just illuminating how shallow the river is, especially since the two dams were made upstream, the Brazeau and the Big Horn.

Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Would be nice to see it dredged in places to allow for more certainty for boaters.
    The environmental protections would never allow dredging. It would not help as it would fill back up in the next flood.

I've mentioned a weir would be nice.

Every time, I have to duck for cover ...
    ... gobsmacked

I guess Replacement had a very sheltered childhood.

There was no change in the story. He thinks that we needed a "technological depth finding equipment", maps, life preservers, spear gun (for river sharks), a video camera to record our adventure, a press release and media package.

We had some rope we used often for climbing trees, we had found the ball earlier in the day and thought if we left it by where we locked our bikes, someone might steal it. Found a log in the river, rocked it out of the mud and floated a few hundred yards until we ran aground.

No Replacement, you jump to outrageous conclusions and add all sort of false assumptions like we claimed the CN Tower and had "perfect" walking sticks. We had a rope but did not need it, but you find that as proof that I am lying. Now I told you we had bikes so I assume that you will attack me for lying about walking sticks.

You can't accept that sometimes in some places, the North Saskatchewan river is shallow. You are the one making hyperbolic statements. I am just illuminating how shallow the river is, especially since the two dams were made upstream, the Brazeau and the Big Horn.

Get over it.
    Nah, you changed your story multiple times, I pointed out exactly where your story changed, and your respond with a long drawn out paragraph of strawman arguments because you're a liar and got caught.

Get over yourself.

Your started on an asinine rant and just continued on. Obviously you projected many things that I did not say or do. I am not a liar, just gave you my experience .

I will reiterate that we were young, a bit foolhardy but careful and the river was at a low ebb but do not recommend others from trying to cross the river. It is not worth risking your life.

I know that there are pictures my mom took when we did cross the RD river at Munson's Ferry. We played all day in that muddy river.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 06-08-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    The environmental protections would never allow dredging. It would not help as it would fill back up in the next flood.
    Dredging is done all over the world and my guess is that it’s done in Canada too. (Something to research I suppose.)

I’m back:

What is dredging? | Port of Vancouver

“Dredging requirements differ depending on location. For instance, Burrard Inlet is a deep water port, but certain projects may require one-time dredging. On the other hand, the Fraser River requires annual dredging because of the continuous run-off of the river and the silt that is deposited from upstream as it nears the sea.”

https://www.portvancouver.com/about-...rest/dredging/

http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/eng/Ccg/wm_Los_Page4

Diminishing the cost of dredging - Canadian Rivers Institute and UNB progressing with harbour study - Canadian Sailings

https://canadiansailings.ca/diminish...harbour-study/
    Last edited by KC; 06-08-2019 at 03:56 PM.

When they built the new walterdale bridge and had to create construction mats on the riverbanks and into the river course, there was a long process where they counted the fish, underwater creatures and other stuff that was affected. I think they even moved them before work could begin.

On another tack, it is illegal to use a motorized pump to operate a sluice box for finding gold. They don't allow you to create turbidity and require a settling pond to prevent disrupting the stream ecology in the river.

Dredging would be very environmentally unfriendly even though in reality, each time the river floods, there is plenty of turbidity, everywhere.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 06-08-2019 at 04:58 PM.

Just a bit of general advice. It might be ok at home but never wade across a river (almost any creek or river in the mountains or any creek or river where there’s potentially a rough jagged bottom of rocks or deadfall or even just branches as in a muddy creek with beaver activity. Catch a foot and you’ll be dragged under by the current.

Found this - Land vs Water - same instinctive reaction = one of the most deadly accidents

“On land, when you are in an emergency situation, your survival instinct is usually to stay on your feet... When you’re in the water in an emergency, that same instinctive reaction can lead to one of the most deadly accidents: ...”

“Saving someone in this situation is very difficult and rarely successful. You have only a very few minutes ...”

“The basic rule is: never stand up or put your feet down in the water, unless the water depth is below your knees or the water is calm.

https://www.nrs.com/safety_tips/footentrapment.asp

Last edited by KC; 09-08-2019 at 08:31 PM.

I agree. I fo not suggest anyone do what I have done. In fact I am not a good swimmer but even a strong swimmer can get caught up in an undertow, a fast current and be dragged into submerged trees and debris that can hold you fast until you drown.

How far west does the riverboat go? I've seen it sail past the Walterdale Bridge.