Thread: Edmonton Riverboat

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Edmonton Riverboat

I caught a launch of the Edmonton Riverboat (formerly the Edmonton Queen) a couple of days ago

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'm still miffed the City of Edmonton delayed this business-owner from running his boat by one year over a permit issue.

C2E Long Term Contributor

The Edmonton Riverboat got stuck last night.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5493375/e...ighter-rescue/
    https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/definite...ight-1.4507475

I love how Global Edmonton got the name right while CTV still calls it the Edmonton Queen.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Questions need to be asked about this and how this poorly suited craft was allowed off dock with passengers in river flow conditions that apparently exceed its navigable ability. Also to get stuck around accidental beach sandbar makes one wonder about its present operation. Clearly conditions were not suitable for use at the time.

What an absolute fail this boat is. River conditions are high and it gets stuck due to current.

As far as what its called the "Riverboat" name seems less descriptive of its apparent ability.

Should be called the Edmonton sitting at dock boat. its about all it does well.

I wouldn't be pleased at all if I had to be rescued in the middle of the night by emergency zodiac craft in the dark, under strong current.

lol that they provided a hamburger and hot dog free to people after several hours of being stranded. They should refund all monies and consider moving the boat to a waterway its capable of navigating.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'd rather C2E than work!

Edmonton Queen?
    Edmonton Riverboat?
    Edmonton's Big White Elephant?

Nah, we have better things to label big white elephant here...

IT wasn't the current but hitting accidental beach. I can see it this morning so the operator must have felt it was safe in the area. River levels are way down from last week. I have also seen it operating in higher waters. but that said if it didn't have enough power for the flow, why are they not check the river forecast webs site. It gives the flow for that section of the river.

There were 284 passengers rescued with the final trip around 5:30 a.m., Jackson said. The boat’s crew remained on board until it was able to return to shore around 3:30 p.m. Sunday.

The 52-metre boat, formerly known as the Edmonton Queen, made a triumphant return to the water last summer after three years of sitting stagnant due to low water levels. In its first five months back on the river, more than 30,000 visitors took a spin on the vessel.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...-by-fire-crews
    Wow. Those passenger numbers look impressive. Hopefully the Riverboat can be a sustainable business.

They need to have a better evac plan.

Is the operator or taxpayer being billed for this mass evacuation which was after hours? I see no reason why this should fall on taxpayers footing the bill.

Additionally this is utilizing emergency services in their busiest night of the week in a peak time for several hours in a massive emergency evac response.

Nor am I impressed with the Edmonton Riverboat reaction making fun of this, speaking about Gilligan's Island, and simply cancelling the next cruise, the next day, because staff were exhausted.

How about it took you almost a day to reach the dock in flow conditions which the boat is apparently poorly suited for.

Is there any external investigation of this emergency event that required fullscale evac of every passenger by Emergency responders?

This was an emergency. Was this even reported to the Transportation Safety Board?

"In accordance with the TSB Regulations, reportable accidents or incidents must be reported to the Board as soon as possible and by the quickest means available."

How is this now considered just business as usual?
    Last edited by Replacement; Yesterday at 12:24 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Edmonton Queen?
    Edmonton Riverboat?
    Edmonton's Big White Elephant?

LOL. The bar remained opmed.!!! Free drinks? um no.
    Animals are my passion.