Thread: Edmonton ranks #1 in citizen survey

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Edmonton ranks #1 in citizen survey

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Crap polls: A great way to suppress inconvenient happenings such as actual competitive pursuit of the mayoral/council chair by credible candidates. Long live the boy king! (at least until there's a Liberal cabinet seat available, so, you know, not this go around).

Surely you're not disputing the statistical significance of a self-selecting, compensated online survey?

/s
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

The only thing impressive is how misguided is the attempt to quantify such surveys as representative or meaningful, which is either dumb, or intentionally misleading.

To start with this is 1500 people polled ACROSS 6 city cites meaning that only 250 per city were polled. So that I wouldn't be using the same confidence interval pertaining to respective cities. The National number, fine, there is enough sample to posit that confidence interval. But not in the breakdown of individual Cities.

Next, this is not randomly selected, this is LegerWeb preselected online sample being polled. So that results are not necessarily representative.

But the responses to the survey are laughable.

In the Star; "A majority of Edmontonians really like where they live — in fact, more than the citizens living in other major cities in Canada, according to a new study."

I think we need to revisit what a fact is in this world. A poll is a representation, it isn't a factual representation of what citizens by and large think. But particularly due to what I cited above it is not established fact that Edmononians like where they live more than any other city. Its one diminutive poll finding.

Iveson;

"That’s a battle of Alberta I’m happy to win,” he said. “It has been a very challenging economic time in Calgary and that’s led to a lot of frustration. I wouldn’t comment on the politics of Calgary city hall. That’s not my place. I point to the very strong numbers in Edmonton as a result of really good work by this council.”

"These results show we have built strong credibility. Being in public office is very demanding and there will always be people who aren’t happy. We should celebrate this clear and positive win as one that shows that our openness, transparency and engagement with our public is what sets us apart from the rest,"

Really Don? This one poll establishes none of what you cite it does. Worse "as a result" even goes as far as to suggest the results are causally linked due to the work of "this council".
    Last edited by Replacement; 09-09-2019 at 11:46 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Great to see!

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Crap polls: A great way to suppress inconvenient happenings such as actual competitive pursuit of the mayoral/council chair by credible candidates. Long live the boy king! (at least until there's a Liberal cabinet seat available, so, you know, not this go around).
    Did you say crap poles when Calgary was voted Canada’s most livable city or is this comment just related to this one?

Sorry Doug, but chants of GO OILERS concern me less than those of FOUR MORE YEARS.

I wonder what Edmontonians thought of their city prior 6 years ago compared to now. I am almost a 100% sure the opinions were less favourable.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    I wonder what Edmontonians thought of their city prior 6 years ago compared to now. I am almost a 100% sure the opinions were less favourable.
    Very likely given the divisive issues that were on the plate. Change can be difficult to navigate, it takes a lot of political fortitude to lead in such times especially when you are advocating for it.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Yes, we are witnessing the fruits of Mandel's leadership and the forward thinking city council of that time.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Yes, we are witnessing the fruits of Mandel's leadership and the forward thinking city council of that time.
    ahh yes, that forward thinking brought us:

1) NAIT LRT - which looking back, clearly wasn't shovel ready, and should've been pushed back into the oven till they had a real plan
    2) SLRT with all the lights and issues at university and 51 avenue crossings
    3) LRT changed to a development tool (and failing at that) instead of a quick reliable transportation option.
    4) MWLRT pushed through the most expensive corridor possible
    5) WLRT route choose as the weakest possible route, ignoring the possibility of connecting our major nodes, in favour of possible redevelopment options along SPR?? HA
    6) The arena and its suspect financial arrangements, and stalling of downtown developments while all the players waited around for 10 years to see if it would happen or not
    7) 250 Million dollar interchange at 23rd avenue, possible the most expensive interchange ever in Edmonton.... and its still horrible.

About the only thing good Mandel did in terms of forward thinking was closing YXD.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

We can sometimes look back on retired politicians with a sense of nostalgia or even kindness, thinking they were stewards of some kind of golden era, but Mandel's legacy, I think, has only weakened with time.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

It's a lot harder to look back with rose coloured glasses when the information age provides us all with a level of documentation, recollection & recall previous generations did not have.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

The Entertainment District that lessened entertainment options for the city. Another legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    The Entertainment District that lessened entertainment options for the city. Another legacy.
    Just as footnote to this comment there was one event at Rogers Place in the month of August. One.

The place has been dead much of the summer, just like last summer, but worse with no Hlinka cup.

Why did we build all this entertainment district?
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Because Edmonton is terrified that without an NHL team, we'll have nothing to attract the gaze of people from other places. Threaten to move the team and we'll crumble like a house of cards. So much of our identity is tied up in a hockey team. It defines us, not just to others but to ourselves.

The "City of Champions" moniker was not for the sports teams but because of citizens response to the Black Friday tornado. But the sports teams quickly appropriated it and, when they started losing, the people soured on it.

It feeds into our obsession with things being "world class". A standard condo/apartment complex tags themselves "world class" simply because people will buy into it, thinking that it's something special.

We squeal with delight when we get a tall building, ignoring the fact that it's not all that special as far as buildings go. Many cities has taller buildings and ones that are much more interesting architecturally. We enjoy the moment in the spotlight when a new arena opens, ignoring the fact that most people elsewhere don't know much about it and don't care for the most part. But, it's "world class" and that's good enough, even if it sits empty more than the old arena did.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Just as footnote to this comment there was one event at Rogers Place in the month of August. One.

The place has been dead much of the summer, just like last summer, but worse with no Hlinka cup.

Why did we build all this entertainment district?
    i think you might be confusing the ice and entertainment district with the downtown arts and entertainment district which is basically both sides of rue hull (98 street) from jasper to 103a avenue (and not to be confused with the whyte avenue arts and entertainment district etc.). from the ram to rapid fire theatre at the citadel it was probably more active than in years past even with the disruptions from construction in the square and at city hall and the library and for lrt
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I don't think he's wrong.

Straight from the horses mouth.

ICE District will be the largest mixed-use sports and entertainment district in Canada and is already projecting an energy and feeling unlike anything Edmonton has seen before.

http://oneproperties.com/ice-district/
    If they refer to their own project as an entertainment district, why can't we? Or should he have specifically said
    Why did we build all this sports and entertainment district?