Thread: Municipal funding slashed by Kenney: What projects/services will get cut?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Municipal funding slashed by Kenney: What projects/services will get cut?

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...al-budget-cuts

Higher taxes or reduced services in the cards for Edmontonians to combat provincial budget cuts

...Infrastructure cuts announced by the province Thursday include the elimination of the Alberta Community Transit Fund and the implementation of a new reduced-funding partnership with Edmonton and Calgary, killing a long-negotiated model that had been set to come into effect in 2022.The cuts include a $150-million reduction in infrastructure grants for already-approved projects over the next four years and council will need to make tough calls on what needs to take a back seat.

“We’ll have to either cancel or refinance some projects, so there will be impacts,” said Mayor Don Iveson. “The budget will sort out which projects will be delayed, deferred or refinanced.”

The Terwillegar Drive expansion, Stadium LRT Station renewal and financing for electric buses are three main projects that lost provincial funding.

A day removed from the budget announcement, Iveson again voiced his disdain for the removal of the city charter infrastructure funding agreement, or what he called the “new deal,” that would have had Edmonton and Calgary split a base of $500 million annually and would fluctuate with revenue sharing. But a new model announced Thursday lowers the combined amount to $455 million, and caps the amount of revenue sharing to 50 per cent.
    I'm not sure that city council will stomach a large property tax increase to cover the entire shortfall induced by Jason Kenney's austerity agenda. So, what kind of cuts could we see? What projects and services will end up on the chopping block? There will surely be more casualties than just the three areas mentioned by the Journal above. The Lewis Estates rec centre, maybe? The downtown "central park"? Closure of more city pools (like the at-times imperilled Eastglen Leisure Centre)? The mothballing of entire bus routes? The sky's the limit, I suppose.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

^ Why not start looking at some simple things. Hold the line on salary increases, get rid of this whole every second Friday off and standarize a 40 hour work week.

Quote Originally Posted by rupikhalon001 View Post
    ^ Why not start looking at some simple things. Hold the line on salary increases, get rid of this whole every second Friday off and standarize a 40 hour work week.
    I’m all for across the board wage reductions. Could maybe even mandate it for the private sector too but a tax increase does meet some of the broader societal needs. Wages though are “sticky” and a lot of people are earning the salaries that they are, only because their employer would face so much flack for cutting salaries to pay the bills on lower revenues - so instead they take a less effective route of slashing jobs that may still be critical to their operations.

I can’t recall exactly but I think the shorter work week and days off thing at the City, started in the really bad times of the post-’70s bubble.

Shorter work weeks mean that you can increase employment for the same level of expenditure - if done right. Plus appointments etc should be scheduled for a day off. Volunteer work can be done in the days off too. At a minimum the days off provide benefits to the private sector through added spending on those days.

Where the real failure has been is in breaking up jobs in both the private and public sectors into more of part time jobs that single parents and others in special circumstances need.

The lack of those jobs means that society has to provide added funding supports in a lot of other areas. I know of people that have had to quit $100k/yr professional private sector jobs to take $15-20k/yr jobs so they could free up the necessary time for their special needs kids.
    Last edited by KC; 27-10-2019 at 08:58 PM.

Walters mentioned Lewis Estates rec center as a possible cut on CBC radio Friday morning.

Well, the city’s growth may slow so some slowing of infrastructure expansion might not be so bad. Just have to gamble that waiting will somehow make it a better decision.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...al-budget-cuts

Higher taxes or reduced services in the cards for Edmontonians to combat provincial budget cuts

...Infrastructure cuts announced by the province Thursday include the elimination of the Alberta Community Transit Fund and the implementation of a new reduced-funding partnership with Edmonton and Calgary, killing a long-negotiated model that had been set to come into effect in 2022.The cuts include a $150-million reduction in infrastructure grants for already-approved projects over the next four years and council will need to make tough calls on what needs to take a back seat.

“We’ll have to either cancel or refinance some projects, so there will be impacts,” said Mayor Don Iveson. “The budget will sort out which projects will be delayed, deferred or refinanced.”

The Terwillegar Drive expansion, Stadium LRT Station renewal and financing for electric buses are three main projects that lost provincial funding.

A day removed from the budget announcement, Iveson again voiced his disdain for the removal of the city charter infrastructure funding agreement, or what he called the “new deal,” that would have had Edmonton and Calgary split a base of $500 million annually and would fluctuate with revenue sharing. But a new model announced Thursday lowers the combined amount to $455 million, and caps the amount of revenue sharing to 50 per cent.
    I'm not sure that city council will stomach a large property tax increase to cover the entire shortfall induced by Jason Kenney's austerity agenda. So, what kind of cuts could we see? What projects and services will end up on the chopping block? There will surely be more casualties than just the three areas mentioned by the Journal above. The Lewis Estates rec centre, maybe? The downtown "central park"? Closure of more city pools (like the at-times imperilled Eastglen Leisure Centre)? The mothballing of entire bus routes? The sky's the limit, I suppose.
    No, IanO can breath easy. The city is planning on borrowing millions to pay for his park.

Debt investments: City ponders borrowing $82.4 million for Downtown revitalization
    JEFF LABINE Updated: October 26, 2019

Edmonton could be borrowing another $82.4 million to cover multiple big-ticket projects in the Downtown core, including a large park in the Warehouse Campus area and more improvements to Jasper Avenue.

Before Edmonton can take on more debt, city council has to give approval through a bylaw. First reading of the bylaw passed on Sept. 10 with second and third scheduled to take place on Nov. 5.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...revitalization

Gross. Jasper in Oliver is a nightmare & we already have the plans to fix it but have to wait for future budget cycles.

Downtown? Right to the front of the line, use the credit card!
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Exactly! Too easy, perhaps.
    Animals are my passion.

Taking away the EDO requires a 12% wage increase, or conversely, those people who utilize the EDO effectively leave 12% of their earnings on the table, at least for CSU52 members.

6.01.02 Employees working 80 hours will receive an hours of work wage adjustment of 12% of the bi-weekly rate of pay assigned from the schedule of wages. This premium will be discontinued if the hours of work of the position are reduced to 67.5 hours.
    https://csu52.org/wp-content/uploads...2015-07-28.pdf
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I'd happily exchange the downtown park for the repaving of some roads in the northwest part of the city.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Taking away the EDO requires a 12% wage increase, or conversely, those people who utilize the EDO effectively leave 12% of their earnings on the table, at least for CSU52 members.

6.01.02 Employees working 80 hours will receive an hours of work wage adjustment of 12% of the bi-weekly rate of pay assigned from the schedule of wages. This premium will be discontinued if the hours of work of the position are reduced to 67.5 hours.
    https://csu52.org/wp-content/uploads...2015-07-28.pdf
    Yep, would be good to go through the agreement in detail and iron out some of these perks. We are in different times, and we cannot keep absorbing tax increases. .
    An interesting way would be to put it to the union, here is a pot of cash, either you take a raise and accept some layoff's, or everybody takes a % cut and no job losses. A 40hour week would help, as there are often long waits for civic services (DP's, licenses etc).

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    I'd happily exchange the downtown park for the repaving of some roads in the northwest part of the city.
    Like Inglewood or Calder?
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Those would both be a good start. Some of the industrial areas a little further west need some love as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Those would both be a good start. Some of the industrial areas a little further west need some love as well.
    As long as funding remains for Neighbourhood Renewal those 'hoods are in the pipe for fixin'. I think last election money for the program was reduced.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Salary increases have been on hold for 6 years. No COLA, no steps, no increases at all. Getting rid of the compressed work week is silly, the same amount of hours are worked either way. I have no issues with increasing the standard work week from 37.5 to 40, I regularly work 50-60 hours myself in the public sector because there is a hiring freeze now, and I'm doing the work of 2-3 people, so while I'm making out great with OT, your paying me more for that OT rather than just hiring the staff we need to get the job done. I don't mind at all.

These simple things aren't so simple when you actually understand how things work.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post

Salary increases have been on hold for 6 years. No COLA, no steps, no increases at all. Getting rid of the compressed work week is silly, the same amount of hours are worked either way. I have no issues with increasing the standard work week from 37.5 to 40, I regularly work 50-60 hours myself in the public sector because there is a hiring freeze now, and I'm doing the work of 2-3 people, so while I'm making out great with OT, your paying me more for that OT rather than just hiring the staff we need to get the job done. I don't mind at all.

These simple things aren't so simple when you actually understand how things work.
    emphasis added because i don't think that's correct...

if you're an architectural technologist as an example and salaries are negotiated to increase 2%, you might think that's all your salary would increase. except it doesn't work that way.

there are still 6 steps in the salary chart for that architectural technologist and the difference in salary from one step the next is between 4.5% and 5.0%. the difference between step 1 and step 6 is about 26%. so when the city or the union say salaries are only going to increase by 2% or 1% or even 0% , that's not what happens to that architectural technologist's actual wages or to the city's labour costs. that's what happens to the grid. and regardless of what happens to the grid, he - or she - will continue to move from step 1 to step 2 to step 3 to step 4 to step 5 to step 6.

and if someone says "salary increases have been on hold for 6 years, no cola, no steps, no increases at all", they're probably wrong.
    https://csu52.org/wp-content/uploads...s-by-Alpha.pdf
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

^ Exactly. And I'm sure that how it is for nurses, teachers, firefighters, police. Next time somebody in a unionized environment tells you that they have not had a raise in a number of years, ask them to produce their union contract.
    Let me correct that for you
    the same amount of hours are worked spent in the office either way)
    It's not the number of hours simply in the office, it's the efficiency of the work being done.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

if you're an architectural technologist as an example and salaries are negotiated to increase 2%, you might think that's all your salary would increase. except it doesn't work that way.

there are still 6 steps in the salary chart for that architectural technologist and the difference in salary from one step the next is between 4.5% and 5.0%. the difference between step 1 and step 6 is about 26%. so when the city or the union say salaries are only going to increase by 2% or 1% or even 0% , that's not what happens to that architectural technologist's actual wages or to the city's labour costs. that's what happens to the grid. and regardless of what happens to the grid, he - or she - will continue to move from step 1 to step 2 to step 3 to step 4 to step 5 to step 6.

and if someone says "salary increases have been on hold for 6 years, no cola, no steps, no increases at all", they're probably wrong.

Hi Ken,

I'm a public sector non-union employee. I have not had a step increase, cola or anything in 6 years. I'm not part of the CSU52, my workplace is AUPE, but I'm exempted out. I've been at the exact same salary for 6 years.... If you consider inflation and increased taxes, I'm making less today than I was 6 years ago. If you factor in the fact that I'm also no longer getting a bonus, I'm making 5-6% less today than I was 6 years ago, adjusted for inflation.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

^ Exactly. And I'm sure that how it is for nurses, teachers, firefighters, police. Next time somebody in a unionized environment tells you that they have not had a raise in a number of years, ask them to produce their union contract.
    It's not the number of hours simply in the office, it's the efficiency of the work being done.

uh huh... I'm much more productive on compressed work schedule, that extra 1 hour or so per day allows me to finish many things that I would just leave to another day in a regular 7.25. I also spend less time commuting this way. For many that commute 30-60 minutes per day or more, than time adds up.

Let's not forget - these cuts were completely unnecessary if Kenney didn't give a 4.5 Billion dollar tax break to Corporations who just increase shareholder profits... No trickle down, nothing given back to Alberta. Just a thank you basically. 4.5 Billion dollars buys a lot of teachers, nurses, doctors and other Albertans serving other albertans with vital services that keep this province rolling.

Unfortunately “work-life balance” has been suspended as per the MacKinnon Report. Alberta needs Albertans to throw themselves under the bus to get O&G back to a golden age, starting from the most vulnerable & working their way up to the middle class.

The good old 'middle class', a footnote in time.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Unfortunately “work-life balance” has been suspended as per the MacKinnon Report. Alberta needs Albertans to throw themselves under the bus to get O&G back to a golden age, starting from the most vulnerable & working their way up to the middle class.
    In order to get back to the golden age, we are going to need massive construction jobs and a removal of all the automation that has happened in that industry, that was long overdue for automation.

Before all the kids around here get mad and say "what automation" Take a closer look. Here's one small example of 400 jobs gone in Suncor due to automation, there's a plethora of other examples

https://globalnews.ca/news/4000125/s...oilsands-jobs/

The golden era of high paying low skill jobs in the oilfield are mostly gone now, and most of the construction projects are now finished. That big boom of employment is NOT coming back, not matter how much we decrease taxes, or sell out to corporations.

I'm also a public sector worker (not municipal) who is not part of a collective agreement, and have been since 2014 when I left the private sector. I had no illusions that the path I chose would provide me with wealth, but I was interested in more personally meaningful work. I cringe when I look at an inflation calculator, though, as I realize I'm earning 7% less now than when I started five years ago. My friends who stayed at the same company I left, with the same seniority as me, are now earning nearly double my current salary, and are eligible for bonuses. When I hear people moan about public sector salaries not being "in line" with the private sector as if that is some kind of universal generality, I can do nothing but roll my eyes.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

Hi Ken,

I'm a public sector non-union employee. I have not had a step increase, cola or anything in 6 years. I'm not part of the CSU52, my workplace is AUPE, but I'm exempted out. I've been at the exact same salary for 6 years.... If you consider inflation and increased taxes, I'm making less today than I was 6 years ago. If you factor in the fact that I'm also no longer getting a bonus, I'm making 5-6% less today than I was 6 years ago, adjusted for inflation.
    hi back...

i'm not going to try and debate your personal circumstances or relationship with aupe or your workplace employer other than to note that your circumstance seems more like a private contractor one than a union one. as a private sector employee, there's a whole tone of albertans that would probably be pretty happy to be earning 94 - 95% of what they were earning 6 years ago.

as far as the province's relationship with the aupe workplace overall however, it is still governed by a contract very similar to the csu52's although the applicable steps can be as high as 7 or as low as 2:

https://www.albertahealthservices.ca...-agreement.pdf

in addition to the steps, they also start with 3 weeks vacation, moving to 4 weeks after 3 years and 5 weeks after 10. they also have regularly upgraded benefit packages ranging from leave provisions to increased dental and insurance coverage.

don't get me wrong, i don't begrudge you your circumstances or those working under csu or aupe contract provisions theirs. but i also see no benefit in refusing to recognizing what those overall circumstance actually are and the overall financial impact they have on their employers.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

uh huh... I'm much more productive on compressed work schedule, that extra 1 hour or so per day allows me to finish many things that I would just leave to another day in a regular 7.25. I also spend less time commuting this way. For many that commute 30-60 minutes per day or more, than time adds up.

Let's not forget - these cuts were completely unnecessary if Kenney didn't give a 4.5 Billion dollar tax break to Corporations who just increase shareholder profits... No trickle down, nothing given back to Alberta. Just a thank you basically. 4.5 Billion dollars buys a lot of teachers, nurses, doctors and other Albertans serving other albertans with vital services that keep this province rolling.
    Does your employer dock your pay for posting on the C2E forum on company time? LOL
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The more we save the more we can send to your province PRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Does your employer dock your pay for posting on the C2E forum on company time? LOL
    My employer encourages me to take short breaks after completing a task or while waiting on processing or input from colleagues. They realize that keeping people nose-to-grindstone is counterproductive to productivity.

I did not know that the C2E forum posting ever reduced stress.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    What savings? All the cuts pale in comparison to the huge hole the UCP dug for themselves with corporate handouts as soon as they took power. And after the budget I know I’ll be paying more for less next year, the antithesis of saving.

I did not know that the C2E forum posting ever reduced stress.
    Laughter is the best medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    meanwhile in Quebec, they pay the highest taxes and still get the equalization payments that Harper and Kenney worked so diligently on a new funding formula.

meanwhile in Quebec, they pay the highest taxes and still get the equalization payments that Harper and Kenney worked so diligently on a new funding formula.
    As much as Alberta feels hard done by the equalization payments the topic of the royalties the province has received over the past 3-4 decades and whether it should have been higher and also how those royalties were spent rather than invested for the future has never been adequately addressed. So much for all those decades of Conservative hegemony.

Calgary, Edmonton LRT projects could be cancelled with 90 days’ notice, changed by minister

https://globalnews.ca/news/6104435/c...t-uncertainty/
    A clause in the UCP’s Bill 20 could give the provincial government an out when it comes to funding Calgary’s Green Line and Edmonton’s West Valley Line LRT projects.

The clause allows the Lieutenant Governor to end a funding agreement with either city with just 90 days notice, “without cause.”

Bill 20 also would allow Transportation Minister Ric McIver to “modify or impose additional terms and conditions prior to approving” any proposed changes to the transit projects.

Don [email protected] Follow @doniveson
    Twitter
    While I was happy the Premier reiterated his commitment to maintain Valley Line West LRT funding, provisions outlined in Bill 20, such as the option to cease funding w/ only 90 days’ notice, are concerning. They create uncertainty for construction workers, investors & commuters.

Recall all the hyperventilating over the royalty review?

Learning from the past: fallout from the 2007 Royalty Review Panel | Fraser Institute

“In its Royalty Review, the Notley government would do well to review data showing the impact of the Stelmach governments 2007 review process on the perceptions of senior executives in the oil and gas industry with regard to Alberta’s attractiveness for investment. The 2007 Royalty Review and successive changes were immediately reflected in declining perceptions of investment attractiveness of the province in Fraser Institute’s annual Global Petroleum Survey. A more general lesson that can be learned both from the petroleum survey and the institute’s annual Survey of Mining Companies is that when governments inject uncertainty into markets, perceptions of investment attractiveness in that jurisdiction suffers.”

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/arti...y-review-panel

‘Woe is Us’: Oil Industry a Hot Mess After NDP Alberta Victory | The Narwhal

““It’s a clear and material negative,” Martin Pelletier from TriVest Wealth Counsel Ltd. opined. “Just when we’re starting to look like we’re recovering here, we get another layer of uncertainty.”

Jeff Gaulin, vice president of communications at the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers, Canada’s largest oil and gas lobby, echoed those concerns, saying a change in Alberta’s royalty regime would be dangerous for industry.

“Now is not the time for a royalty review,” he told Reuters. “The uncertainty that that would create for investment would jeopardize jobs in Alberta.” ...

https://thenarwhal.ca/woe-us-oil-ind...r-ndp-victory/
    Last edited by KC; 31-10-2019 at 07:56 PM.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6104868/c...sed-next-week/

Potentially on the chopping block:
    -Lewis Estates Rec Centre & Library
    -Downtown Central Park
    -Jasper Ave streetscape renewal
    -Quesnell Bridge roadwork

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...s-get-underway

The following are a list of motions city council withdrew from the operating and capital budgets following the reductions in funding from the provincial budget. The motions have been withdrawn but can be reexamined during budget deliberations.
    Operating budget motions:

• Police service cannabis legalization service package increase of $5.5 million
    • Citizen services budget increase of $3.5 million
    • Annual increases to Arts Common 118 by $2.5 million in 2020, $1 million 2021, $2.5 million in 2020
    • Edmonton Transit budget increase by $1.6 million in 2020, $1.5 million in 2021
    • Community and Recreation Facilities Branch budget increase by $150,000 in 2020 to help efforts to host FIFA World Cup in 2026

Capital budget motions:

• $2.3 million to fund Rollie Miles Leisure Centre
    • $1 million increase to fund various baseball diamond enhancements
    • $1.5 million increase for an urban tree canopy project
    • $39.3 million increase to fund Valley Zoo natures wild backyard 2
    • $7.3 million increase to fund Londonderry artificial turf project
    • $800,000 increase for dog park projects in or near Summerside and in West Edmonton
    • $15 million for a four-lane widening of Parsons Road
    • $2.5 million increase for planning and design for 66 Street widening